Music Commercial Hip Hop Thread

I never really got into Kendrick too much.

m.A.A.d City was really the only song of his that blew me away to make it into my regular rotation on Spotify.

But I have to say, Not Like Us is a 10/10. Best hip hop song I've ever in the last decade or more I would say.

So I think I need to listen to his other work some more. Would be interested to get recommendations on some of his better songs.

Right up my street. Depends what you’re looking for as these won’t all be straight up bangers, but for me (chronologically):

F*ck Your Ethnicity
Rigamortus
HiiiPower
Backseat Freestyle
Sing About Me
King Kunta
Alright
How Much A Dollar Cost
The Blacker The Berry
DNA
Feel
The Heart Part 5
United in Grief
Count Me Out
Savior
Mr Morale

m.A.A.d City was really the only song of his that blew me away to make it into my regular rotation on Spotify.

But I have to say, Not Like Us is a 10/10. Best hip hop song I've ever in the last decade or more I would say.

So I think I need to listen to his other work some more. Would be interested to get recommendations on some of his better songs.

I'd give these a go if you liked that:

Yebba's Heartbreak
One Dance
Passionfruit
Laugh Now Cry Later
IDGAF
Push Ups
God's Plan

Start at Section 80 and listen to GKMC. I think they're his strongest albums personally. My favourite track of his is Ronald Reagan Era on Section 80, Money Trees on GKMC.

Right up my street. Depends what you’re looking for as these won’t all be straight up bangers, but for me (chronologically):

F*ck Your Ethnicity
Rigamortus
HiiiPower
Backseat Freestyle
Sing About Me
King Kunta
Alright
How Much A Dollar Cost
The Blacker The Berry
DNA
Feel
The Heart Part 5
United in Grief
Count Me Out
Savior
Mr Morale

Father Time is a piece of art that should be mentioned more in my opinion.

Father Time is a piece of art that should be mentioned more in my opinion.

That one too

I also think Auntie Diaires is brilliant. The way it crescendos towards the end is very powerful. Mother I Sober too but I felt like EC was looking for more bops.

I'm not a big follower of his, just enjoy some of his stuff. Loved TPAB album. My favourite songs are:

Not Like Us
King Kunta
i
DNA
Blacker The Berry
Rivals Regan Era

Halfway through the new Lupe album.

Palaces is the only standout so far, laid-back groove with a nice beat switch up at the end.

Dropping midnight US. Confirmed tracklisting and features.
We've got Kendrick, Royce da 5'9, Anderson .Paak, Juice WRLD but to name a few on there. There's also a sequel to Guilty Conscience feat. Dre too.

Six tracks in to the new Eminem and it's all a bit... yawn. He's obviously not lost his ear for a rhyme - still one of the best at that - but pretty much every song so far is about how evil he is, how bad what he says is, how he'll be cancelled etc etc ad nauseam. Where once he seemed to do it gleefully and hungrily he now just seems to do it cynically and desperately to stay relevant. Even his pop culture references are super dated (I mean a whole song taking the piss out of Christopher Reeves?!) I get this is supposed to be a throwback to his slim shady days, hence the many, MANY callbacks) but it just seems tired, dated and depressing. Again, he's still a rhyme machine, I just wish he'd do something more interesting with it.

Last edited:
Apparently an unreleased track from 2003.
Didn't realize that. It does hit weirdly now...I wonder how many younger listeners will be wondering who that is!

Listened to a little more and I have to say I didn't realize that the concept of the album was his alter ego trying to destroy him. Interesting concept but it's a little too much like he's trying to have his cake and eat it too. Saying all of these 'shocking' things with some edgy punchlines and still being able to step back and play the tortured artist? I don't think he should get off that easily. I've enjoyed a couple so far - guilty conscience 2 is great and I enjoyed fuel too - but on the whole its more miss than hit unless something dramatic happens in the last few.

Didn't realize that. It does hit weirdly now...I wonder how many younger listeners will be wondering who that is!

Listened to a little more and I have to say I didn't realize that the concept of the album was his alter ego trying to destroy him. Interesting concept but it's a little too much like he's trying to have his cake and eat it too. Saying all of these 'shocking' things with some edgy punchlines and still being able to step back and play the tortured artist? I don't think he should get off that easily. I've enjoyed a couple so far - guilty conscience 2 is great and I enjoyed fuel too - but on the whole its more miss than hit unless something dramatic happens in the last few.
Fuel is my favourite so far, too. I do think the concept is a bit heavy handed - the Gervais-esque repeated references to the Jenners and transgender people is just so tiresome at this point.

I actually enjoyed the Christopher Reeve track (or Christopher Reeves, as Em would say); it's just so ridiculous, and I can totally believe he had drug-addled nightmares that included Reeve and Stephen Hawking morphing into one person (the robot voice) back in the day :lol:

Fuel is my favourite so far, too. I do think the concept is a bit heavy handed - the Gervais-esque repeated references to the Jenners and transgender people is just so tiresome at this point.

I actually enjoyed the Christopher Reeve track (or Christopher Reeves, as Em would say); it's just so ridiculous, and I can totally believe he had drug-addled nightmares that included Reeve and Stephen Hawking morphing into one person (the robot voice) back in the day :lol:
Yeah agreed...him and Ricky do have a bit in common on that front eh! That nightmare thing is hilarious tbf...full disclosure, I've believed to this day that it was Christopher Reeves, probably thanks to Em :lol:

The gimmick itself is fine, but both characters being insanely boring make the album really difficult to enjoy. It would be fine for a few songs, but it stretches thin extremely quickly to me.

The gimmick itself is fine, but both characters being insanely boring make the album really difficult to enjoy. It would be fine for a few songs, but it stretches thin extremely quickly to me.
Yeah, the whole thing seems a bit bloated. Could have been three or four songs shorter. The first half in particular could have been trimmed.

It's a bit of a mix of good and bad. It feels a bit like making a lot of the songs he did back in the early 2000s might not work today, but you never really took some of them seriously because they were just so outrageous and a lot of the time really critiquing some of the weird standards people had l, I don't think he as always manages to do that now.

Really like the more reflective songs like Temporary and Somebody Save Me.

Shouldn't laugh at the Ja Rule line but :lol:

Really enjoyed it as someone who liked his last two albums I would still say this one beats them and is his best in years.

Lyrically no-one can touch him and his flow is still supreme. I wouldn't argue with anyone saying he's the best ever.

Really enjoyed it as someone who liked his last two albums I would still say this one beats them and is his best in years.

Lyrically no-one can touch him and his flow is still supreme. I wouldn't argue with anyone saying he's the best ever.

Wait is this about Eminem?

i bet that crossbow killer listened to all the tracks you are all listing.

I would definitely argue with anyone claiming this. He doesn't make top five for me anymore. One of the best at putting rhymes together but the content is pretty meh these days. He's really not evolved as an artist at all.

He’s possibly top 5 and I can understand somebody making an argument for him as possibly the best even if I don’t agree. He’s got a great body of work. It’s not easy for anybody to do it over the span of almost 30 or so years, in fact you’ll struggle to name many that have been around that long that are still capable of putting out a great album. that’s why I will always have Nas at number one, been around through four different decades and is still putting out legit great albums, it’s absolutely insane and what separates him from somebody like a Jay Z.

He’s possibly top 5 and I can understand somebody making an argument for him as possibly the best even if I don’t agree. He’s got a great body of work. It’s not easy for anybody to do it over the span of almost 30 or so years, in fact you’ll struggle to name many that have been around that long that are still capable of putting out a great album. that’s why I will always have Nas at number one, been around through four different decades and is still putting out legit great albums, it’s absolutely insane and what separates him from somebody like a Jay Z.
Yeah I can understand those who'd have him top five but his body of work has been too uneven for me. I'd probably have at least Nas, Jay Z, Biggie, Pac, Kendrick, Lauryn Hill and Black Thought above him. I definitely realize that's very controversial though!

Eminem is just boring, he's done all this stuff before his content hasn't evolved at all.

He's my all time favourite artist and even I can admit he hasn't had a great album since 2002. This latest effort is marginally better than the last few I suppose but it's not something I'll ever want to listen to again.

Really? His flow on TDOSS is the reason I can't get into it. To my ears he's still using that choppy flow he's been using since MMLP2 and it sounds absolutely awful to my ears.

He should have done a final album where every track features a career he's ruined. Ja, MGK, Benzino etc. Give them their career back :lol:

He just needs to hand over production to someone else at this point.

An Eminem album with DJ Premier or Alchemist or something similar would be ridiculous.

Get some actual Ft.s as well instead of people from Michigan who you are trying to leg up.

He's my all time favourite artist and even I can admit he hasn't had a great album since 2002. This latest effort is marginally better than the last few I suppose but it's not something I'll ever want to listen to again.

I used to be a massive fan. His first three album run (and then 8-mile) is untouchable.

He should just retire at this point. IMO, every album since The Eminem Show has been pretty bad at best, and garbage at worst.

I’d like to see him release a final album with Dr Dre production, have some features from the old crew (Dre, Snoop, 50, Xzibit, D12 etc) and then ride into the sunset.

Wishful thinking. He’s like a boxer that won’t retire and the people around him won’t tell him to give it up.

I appreciated the fact that he didn't choose to go full Rap God super saiyan speed for the new album. The lyrics showed him up for the ok lyricist he is, but he had me laughing out loud on a few occasions.