Cold War against China?

Apparently we were actively employing countermeasures during its transit over the US as well as studying it. One of the biggest factors in waiting til it was feet wet to shoot it down is that it offered us the better chance to retrieve the downed components. Citizen safety was not paramount.
Makes sense. But didn’t they see it coming?
Im guessing the balloon doesn’t use any tech the USA doesn’t already have

Not funny. There is a lot not to like about US' foreign policy in general (And this can apply to Trump, to Neocons and even Democrats in power). But no matter how bad they act, it will still be one million times preferable to a China/Russia dominated world. We need the US to be more progressive, democratic, pro Europe, and pro Peace in general... But we can't afford a weak US in a world order shaped by a dictatorship like China.

Is that a no then

The Chinese response just feels like a load of hot air to be honest

More like... :D

I often forget about it, but China have been in deep trouble since the Biden administration began striking with the CHIPS Act. I can only imagine how worse the situation would be if the US start using that as a rallying point with their allies on the road to sanctions near the level of those currently applied against Russia. However, I'm not exactly convinced about the jamming part though.

Twitter and online "analysts" are so annoying. Trying to theorize and figure out what it was China was trying to find.

You honestly think that sort of information will just be lying around in public?! No wonder many on Twitter thought the Ukrain invasion was the first war recorded on Twitter!

Not funny. There is a lot not to like about US' foreign policy in general (And this can apply to Trump, to Neocons and even Democrats in power). But no matter how bad they act, it will still be one million times preferable to a China/Russia dominated world. We need the US to be more progressive, democratic, pro Europe, and pro Peace in general... But we can't afford a weak US in a world order shaped by a dictatorship like China.

Agreed on the rest but we have no obligation or desire to be "pro Europe" or follow failed EU progressive policies, especially since we are seeing how that is working out with the latest projected GDP figures.

I mean if I was forced to live in a small peasant town from the age of 15 to my early 20’s, I would say that’s a peasant background.

Tbh there are NPR articles from the early 2010’s saying the same thing, it’s not a controversial opinion to hold. The guy has put the work in, to get to the top. It’s impressive regardless of his politics.

Xi is as elite as it gets for someone in China who grew up during the chinese revolution.

This is the level of quality human being that Myrtle Beach is so well known for

Yeah but feck China and their dirty tactics.

Just some guys having a beer probably a bbq. Patriots. I'd stand by that rather than people dismissing this. I'm from the UK.

Well fecking done USA

Good stuff by Vox today for those who may not be completely versed into the microchip war between the 2 countries and who don't want to be overwhelmed by technical terms.

One thing I keep asking myself since the balloon incident is this: what can happen next in the US reaction towards China now?

After the U-2 was shot down in 1960, a lot of things happened. Nikita Khrushchev basically cancelled an East-West summit, told Dwight Eisenhower to feck right off, sped up the construction of the Berlin Wall, and precipitated the nuclear arms race in a climate of total mistrust. Dark Brandon called Xi out during the SOTU, so I genuinely wonder if this could lead to a similar of mistrust from the US towards China on the same level as the Soviet Union towards the US and vice-versa in the early 1960s. It's obvious that the statu quo or a reset are not realistically possible, especially for as long as Xi remains in power.

Last edited:
After the U-2 was shot down in 1960, a lot of things happened
it's the not the same level of event. the USSR at that time had cemented the iron curtain, was making inroads into south america, and basically contesting the new american empire all around the world. including in korea just ten years before via china. today, by comparison, all you have, thankfully, is a war of words over taiwan and trading embargos. a spy-balloon floating over america could prompt any kind of reply so under the radar that no one would ever hear about it. it was most likely china's reply to the pelosi taiwan trip, imo, and was intended to be seen. suspicious that the chinese didn't deny all knowledge of it, which means they basically wanted it to be known it was a chinese balloon but "misdirected". done for internal consumption in china more than actual top level spying imo.

the standard, internationally, is just to deny all knowledge of it. been happening for years. even the small states know how to play that game. but china took ownership of it, which is weird.

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/02/08/us/politics/china-spy-balloons.html

there is the above on the other hand but mainland US is a different proposition to US entities abroad.

Last edited: