Cody Gakpo

I’d agree with that poster. He’s not what we needed and he wouldn’t displace Rashford. Good but not great player.
I think Rashford is better or at least the post WC Rashford. That doesn’t mean Gakpo won’t be a very good player elsewhere. He’ll be a very good player.
His positioning between United’s midfield and defence in the first half was excellent. We weren’t great in the box but I felt like he was picking up really good areas. The second half was a bit of a free for all.

He’s not an explosive player like Mane was or Diaz is but I’m starting to warm to him. I would’ve given him MOTM personally but I can see why Salah got it.
Agreed. Annoyingly think he’ll come good for you.
You can't be beaten at that angle unless it's an absolute thunder strike. I'm not as critical of De Gea as much as a lot of people on here but that and the 7th goal were just bad goalkeeping. The rest he had no chance with.
There is disguise and craft behind that finish. I don’t think many are saving that.

But each to their own.

Two nice finishes not much else. Salah was levels above him today.
Salah on form is the best attacker in the league, so that's a tough act to follow.

Thing is there’s no basis to say that. I’m trying to take the 7-0 as best I can by seeing what funny side there can be had. But Gakpo isn’t average.
No basis? In 12 games so far he had what? 3 good games? Yes, his finishing was great today. But his overall game so far in Pool is average at best. Diaz and Darwin will keep him out of first 11.
I am still glad that we didn't signed him. Good player and nothing more or less.

We've kick-started Gakpo and Nunez's Liverpool careers now sadly. What a truly awful day.

Liverpool will be a huge huge threat for the league next season if they fix their midfield.

No basis? In 12 games so far he had what? 3 good games? Yes, his finishing was great today. But his overall game so far in Pool is average at best. Diaz and Darwin will keep him out of first 11.
I am still glad that we didn't signed him. Good player and nothing more or less.
New to the league. Even if you take 1/4 good games in a poor Liverpool side before his arrival it’s nowhere near as bad as some would try to argue.

4 goals in 8 PL appearances or a goal every 143mins. He’ll only improve from here on in.
This didn’t age well
Like milk.

New to the league. Even if you take 1/4 good games in a poor Liverpool side before his arrival it’s nowhere near as bad as some would try to argue.

4 goals in 8 PL appearances or a goal every 143mins. He’ll only improve from here on in.
Will he? Two of those came today, otherwise 2 in 7 is pretty poor, as well as his all around game.

Will he? Two of those came today, otherwise 2 in 7 is pretty poor, as well as his all around game.
Is it though? Honestly think they’ll be many with egg on their faces here.

I don’t want it to happen. But it will.

Dodged a bullet with this player, I think time will tell that.
Couple of nice finishes today, but he's not a quality player.

He was good on Sunday with the chances he had handed to him, but I'm not ready to change my tune on him just yet. His first goal came from the position he's much better in, coming in from out wide, so it was hardly a surprise.

Talented finisher with his right foot but I don't see really see anything else in his game - not a dynamic athlete, not much of a dribbler, doesn't seem to have much instinct for combining or creating chances.

Talented finisher with his right foot but I don't see really see anything else in his game - not a dynamic athlete, not much of a dribbler, doesn't seem to have much instinct for combining or creating chances.
I agree. I think if you can get him in those half pockets he’ll be deadly. I just don’t think - long term - he’ll able to navigate himself the space in the PL to get in those areas.

Dribbling is definitely one of his better attributes. His first goal (freeing himself up with that first touch) is what he's good at. Getting free for a shot or cross, a bit like a reverse Robben (though obviously not as good).

I also still don't think he'll be a hit long term, but he's a good dribbler.

Dear Jurgen Klopp, if you need a striker please sell this guy and buy 1. You're wasting his prime years and he deserves a less shite club anyway.

Thanks.

There were 2 dives today. But neither player got a yellow despite refs not being conned. Very rarely remember cards over past few years for diving other than united. Dan James got a couple when he didn't dive

The most important part is - he's not cnutish enough for Pool. Yet.

I have no doubt he'll get the dark arts training soon.

Yesterday was a prime example of that.
The one chance he missed when Salah put him through, the keeper got a touch on him, yet, amazingly, he didn't make a meal of it.

Got up and played on.

Imagine that was Salah or some other cnut trained in rolling on the floor, that would at least get a VAR check.
Taking your advice with his diving already... Quick learner

Taking your advice with his diving already... Quick learner

I came in here to say the exact same thing referencing that post! He's a diving cheating cnut already except without Nunez's punchable face.

Must be picking up bad habits from Salah, or Gerrard has been coming in to give 1 to 1 diving sessions. I recall couple months back when he didn't go down under contact when he should have done and a Dutch poster on here saying he never dives

Wasnt sure if he would be good enough to make the step from PSV to a team playing at the top (or supposed to be playing there) of Premier League. Seems to be doing pretty well though. Dont think Manchester United really needed him since he is usually playing at the same position as Rashford.

Is it though? Honestly think they’ll be many with egg on their faces here.

I don’t want it to happen. But it will.
3 weeks since posting this and he’s now 6 goals and 1 assist in 15 PL games (1065 mins).

More importantly he’s building more attacks now for Liverpool and becoming a key fixture in their attack. Very much first choice.

I think next season could be huge from him.

3 weeks since posting this and he’s now 6 goals and 1 assist in 15 PL games (1065 mins).

More importantly he’s building more attacks now for Liverpool and becoming a key fixture in their attack. Very much first choice.

I think next season could be huge from him.

If he keeps that rate up he might even surpass Dirk Kuyt.

If he keeps that rate up he might even surpass Dirk Kuyt.
Instrumental again today… eventually while no one wants to acknowledge it yet people are going to have to accept he’s a very good player who we could have signed to bolster our attack.

I’ve been saying this for a while now and I hate that it’s for Liverpool but he’s a quality player.

Still early days for him, but he is another Cafe recommendation that we can all be thankful the Club never listened too!

Quintessential EL level player. Sure, he has some nifty tricks up his sleeve but doesn't strike me as someone who can take a team to the next level.

In any case, I'm not losing any sleep over not signing him, same as when they signed him and before.

I mean there's a reason why he nearly went to Leeds and no one else were paying up

Initial fee is less than what Newcastle paid for Gordon or what Tottenham paid for Porro. I think he is a good pick up in the end.

The elephant in the room is Darwin, but these are the same fans that told us that Naby Keita was a game changer.

Instrumental again today… eventually while no one wants to acknowledge it yet people are going to have to accept he’s a very good player who we could have signed to bolster our attack.

I’ve been saying this for a while now and I hate that it’s for Liverpool but he’s a quality player.
You're just trying to vindicate your opinion on him. Just a bit of nice play here and there, but overall tame. Even Sancho played well and for early goal against, Tottenham playing this way. As soon as Spurs got back into this game, Gakpo was typically invisible. Spurs getting destroyed by New in 20 minutes for a reason. He's only doing well in comparison to Darwin Nunez. That's not a high bar, isn't it?

If we have enough money, we may have tried Mbappe... Did we have money?

You're just trying to vindicate your opinion on him. Just a bit of nice play here and there, but overall tame. Even Sancho played well and for early goal against, Tottenham playing this way. As soon as Spurs got back into this game, Gakpo was typically invisible. Spurs getting destroyed by New in 20 minutes for a reason. He's only doing well in comparison to Darwin Nunez. That's not a high bar, isn't it?

If we have enough money, we may have tried Mbappe... Did we have money?
I don’t need vindication from the CAF :lol: .

Gakpo is a very talented player who is already showing signs of adapting to the pace of the league and its physical demands. He’s been a key fixture in Liverpools uptake in form recently and I think too many people are dismissing him because he came from the Eredivise and then to Liverpool.

It’s a Redcafe double whammy for underrating a player and I’m genuinely worried he’ll become a great player for Liverpool with a proper pre season under his belt.

Mbappe and Gakpo are very different financial outlays. Bit ridiculous to even suggest a comparison.

A lot of the off the ball work Gakpo did is what created space for others to thrive. His run to draw out Dier for example was one such show of his intelligence.

He’s fine but nothing even remotely special. He’ll do ok for them, but he’s not the kind of player I can see a Real Madrid or Barcelona being interested in. Luiz Dias is probably the only forward they currently have that would interest one of the major clubs.