Cody Gakpo

If there’s one thing that people on the CAF should listen to me about it’s Dutch footballers.

Teun Koopmeiners I was jokingly called his dad for talking so highly of him and now Gakpo people were saying all sorts.

These are players I’ve followed for a very long time and so I’m not at all surprised by their development. Frustrating that it’s for a rival club but it’s great news for Dutch football to have such a goal and creative threat again.
Koopmeiners isn't a worldbeater though is he? Think Atalanta is pretty much his level. A level he never manages to hit at the national team sadly, where he has been excusively shite (aside from 1 cheeky free kick against Argentina).

You realize he plays through the middle for Liverpool right? Same place he would have played for us?

I sure as feck would have preferred watching him over Weghorst last season.

So you would want to be stuck with a mediocre player not playing in his strong position. While we went for Weghorst, now we have a new striker who is just 20 and will be playing in his natural position. Short term pain, long term gain and all that.

So you would want to be stuck with a mediocre player not playing in his strong position. While we went for Weghorst, now we have a new striker who is just 20 and will be playing in his natural position. Short term pain, long term gain and all that.

This has nothing to do with Rasmus, who I’m ecstatic about. Just that Gakpo was seen as a striker by both us and Liverpool and I wouldn’t have minded signing him given the fee was pretty low.

I also thought he was pretty solid for Liverpool, even if he’s not a superstar. And given how few quality finishers are in our squad he could have helped in the run in

What? Is he amazing all of a sudden? “phenomenal” even? Last I heard he was shite?

Of course it’s silly season, where Chelsea and Liverpool have all the best players in the World again :lol:

Probably like when Veron became the World’s best midfielder again after that US tour, and then we promptly sold the flop to Chelsea, only to watch him flop again there.

Yup. Utterly random bump. WTF?

if he was that good, there would be rumours of him being picked for the 1970s brazil team. the kind of rumours i’m starting about rasmus.

I think he's really good. Technically excellent. Some of his passing and touch is much better than I thought it'd be when I saw this gangly figure coming from Dutch football. I think he could have a real breakout.

I’d start him with Salah in the front three most of the time. Much more about him than Nunez has.

I’d lean more towards Jota than Diaz personally. Better eye for goal and he finished last season well.

This one is really frustrating, he was just so obviously a very good player and so easily gettable at a good price. Liverpool fans must love the Glazers.

Do you not feel like a bit of a bell end coming in and just stroking your own phallus in post form?
I am not claiming to be an expert in all aspects of football. But Dutch players I’m very good with spotting those that make the transition from Eredivise and those that won’t. If that rubs you up the wrong way (pun intended) then just don’t read it.

If you have something meaningful to contribute regarding my views on Koopmeiners or Gakpo then I’d be very happy to stroke yours if the post is good enough but I suspect you would consider a head rub demeaning.

Koopmeiners isn't a worldbeater though is he? Think Atalanta is pretty much his level. A level he never manages to hit at the national team sadly, where he has been excusively shite (aside from 1 cheeky free kick against Argentina).
When have I ever said he was? But he’s absolutely a quality player that has another step up in him. Atalanta will find it hard to keep a hold of him given his goalscoring from midfield and overall creativity are above all but Barella in Serie A. He’s been instrumental for Atalanta given a freer role to created with his passing and has really developed into a leader as he was for AZ.

The NT performances have been subdued but that is as much to do with the role he’s given within a more rigid system than it is his personal quality.

When have I ever said he was? But he’s absolutely a quality player that has another step up in him. Atalanta will find it hard to keep a hold of him given his goalscoring from midfield and overall creativity are above all but Barella in Serie A. He’s been instrumental for Atalanta given a freer role to created with his passing and has really developed into a leader as he was for AZ.

The NT performances have been subdued but that is as much to do with the role he’s given within a more rigid system than it is his personal quality.
No idea, you brought him up :wenger:

Curious what your thoughts are on Boadu and Simons at the moment? Will they fulfill their promise and make the next step?

He looked like a player with no outstanding qualities at all when he first joined.

Now he looks top quality and only getting better. Love watching him play. Impressive turnaround.

Annoyingly, I think he'll have a good season for them and will turn out to be a good/great player over time. I'm not fully convinced that he would have done it for us or been what we need, but he'll work for them, I imagine. That's the way it goes, sometimes.

This one is really frustrating, he was just so obviously a very good player and so easily gettable at a good price. Liverpool fans must love the Glazers.
What have you seen that makes you really frustrated that we didn't get him? All of a sudden he's a mercurial talent. He was underwhelming as feck last season.

Curious what your thoughts are on Boadu and Simons at the moment? Will they fulfill their promise and make the next step?
As I said before Boadu will have an ok career compared to Koopmeiners though I’d be surprised if he become a top player for a top European side. His move to Monaco has been underwhelming partly due to injury and just struggling to adapt. He’s a poacher that relies on pace and did well with Slot previously in a system that played to his strengths. A reunion might be on the cards and if so I’d expect him to score well again in Eredivise but we might have seen his level now and I don’t think he’ll make it big time now.

As for Simons he was a well above average technician in Eredivise and has added goal threat to his game. He’s more creative and much more explosive this year too. I think this year he’s finally grown into his body a bit and has shown the work rate defensively is there as well as the on the ball ability. He looks like a player that for me should be able to play for a very good European side as a starter and I’d expect his loan to Leipzig to go well. He has all the intelligence and quality needed to succeed so it will for me just come down to physical concerns. He’s grown a lot in the last year or so and adapting to that new body in more physically demanding environments may prove a challenge.

So TLDR:
Boadu No (not without being in a system designed for him to poach)
Simons Yes (given time to develop physically a bit more)

What have you seen that makes you really frustrated that we didn't get him? All of a sudden he's a mercurial talent. He was underwhelming as feck last season.
Was he? He got 7 goals and a few assists in half a season and was generally very tidy at linking play. Hardly that underwhelming considering he was coming from Dutch football to the PL and they took a long time to get going last season. I'd wager we're going to see a pretty good season this year with that experience under his belt.

If there’s one thing that people on the CAF should listen to me about it’s Dutch footballers.

Teun Koopmeiners I was jokingly called his dad for talking so highly of him and now Gakpo people were saying all sorts.

These are players I’ve followed for a very long time and so I’m not at all surprised by their development. Frustrating that it’s for a rival club but it’s great news for Dutch football to have such a goal and creative threat again.

hes average… next

no different than saying trust me in two paragraphs.

I’ve not seen anything consistently Impressive for a top side
Bit different if you’ve been active in conversation about those players previously.

What about him doesn’t impress? Or more to the point what would you expect him to do to be impressive?

What? Is he amazing all of a sudden? “phenomenal” even? Last I heard he was shite?

Of course it’s silly season, where Chelsea and Liverpool have all the best players in the World again :lol:

Probably like when Veron became the World’s best midfielder again after that US tour, and then we promptly sold the flop to Chelsea, only to watch him flop again there.
Yeah, seemed like he turned into a golden boot winner during….preseason ffs

Not sure I said he was a mercurial talent. Just quickly checked and no I didn't.

He's an extremely well rounded and versitile forward with good physicality who has goals in him. Already has 9 goal involvments in 17 starts in the Premier League despite taking a few games to settle.

Considering our backup striker for the next season will either be Martial or Sancho I'd say he would have been a snip at 35m. Especially as Ten Hag wanted him and the market for attacking players is dire.

Seemingly a few of our own fans, shitting on the club again for not signing this “mercurial” and “phenomenal” player

Literally no one has called him mercurial. You lot are acting like there are swarthes of people in this thread talking about him like he is the reincarnation of Ronaldo.

Already has 9 goal involvments in 17 starts in the Premier League despite taking a few games to settle.

Considering our backup striker for the next season will either be Martial or Sancho I'd say he would have been a snip at 35m. Especially as Ten Hag wanted him and the market for attacking players is dire.

Rashford had 22 goal involvements in 32 starts, despite a horror start to the season, and is likely to be our backup striker.
Forgive me if I don’t see the issue with losing out on a far inferior backup.

Rashford had 22 goal involvements in 32 starts, despite a horror start to the season, and is likely to be our backup striker.

I'd personally prefer Rashford-Gakpo-Anthony above Garnacho-Raahford-Anthony as a backup front 3 given the option.

The ball sticks a lot more as Gakpo is better at link up play and with his back to goal whilst also not missing out on Rashford's goals and you'd assume gaining some with Gakpo.

Just makes us a better squad for a reasonable price.