Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.
My guess is we've wrapped up this signing since it fits Ten Hag (best young player in the Eredivisie who is ready to move up, the other is Timber who we tried to sign and Xavi Simons is both too inexperienced and we have Bruno) and the club (good numbers, did well at the World Cup, looks the part).

I think we have to think of the attack looking like this:

Rashford---RB-------Gapko----RCB------------LCB-------------------LB------------------
--------------------------------------------------------DM-------Bruno---------------------Antony
------------------------------------EriksenCM--------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------Casemiro-------CM-------------------------------

as a likely type setup in most games. So we look to exploit the areas between the fullbacks and CBs on both sides and then whoever isn't involved will need to get central or to the back post to finish plays off. Easier to see Rashford or Garnacho doing it than Antony, though. Bruno will probably look to get to the penalty spot even more to finish off things, with the LCB not knowing which side of him he's going to go.

There's definitely decent spacing in this setup, so I guess the idea is that that could make up for not having someone super comfortable between both CBs.

If you take away like 80% of his classic left-winger type assists, he's still doing quite well. He's quite tall, so if he can get stronger he could become a quality CF.

I hope we don't get him. We have a young attacking group.
  • Rashford - 25
  • Martial - 27
  • Antony - 22
  • Sancho - 22
  • Garnacho - 18
A key thing to be a truly top team, is you need an elite level attacker. The experienced 4 we have are all good, with very good potential, but none of them are truly elite attackers, none have that potential. We don't have a superstar in attack now or potentially. We need someone who has an elite ceiling IMO to truly bring us up a level in attack, especially due to everyone's ages here.

Gakpo IMO doesn't even have the potential that our 5 attackers have... He's a good player, but he lacks a lot to his game. He plays in a position where we really don't need reinforcements, unless we get someone in who can be an actual elite player.

I'll be honest, this one doesn't excite me at all. But again Ten Hag has been so far spot on with his signings and we're not exactly in a position to lure the Mbappes of the world.

I hope we don't get him. We have a young attacking group.
  • Rashford - 25
  • Martial - 27
  • Antony - 22
  • Sancho - 22
  • Garnacho - 18
A key thing to be a truly top team, is you need an elite level attacker. The experienced 4 we have are all good, with very good potential, but none of them are truly elite attackers, none have that potential. We don't have a superstar in attack now or potentially. We need someone who has an elite ceiling IMO to truly bring us up a level in attack, especially due to everyone's ages here.

Gakpo IMO doesn't even have the potential that our 5 attackers have... He's a good player, but he lacks a lot to his game. He plays in a position where we really don't need reinforcements, unless we get someone in who can be an actual elite player.

On paper Great. But your sounding like the worst DoF right about now.

We have 3 positions for our attack and you want us to compete for top 4 until the end of the season with:
  • A terrible number 9 in Rashford
  • An injury prone main striker in Martial
  • An 18 year old who is just breaking through and is in no way Lionel Messi at 18 or even Michael Owen.
  • Then there is Sancho… where’s Wolly!

It’s noway as solid as you are making it out to be to not add additional quality for the ‘attacking 3’.

I'll be honest, this one doesn't excite me at all. But again Ten Hag has been so far spot on with his signings and we're not exactly in a position to lure the Mbappes of the world.

Yeah same here,however with proper number 9's likely not available until the summer we need something in the forward line

If Gakpo signs for United, what would be their 1st choice and 2nd choice front 3?

For me the wide areas seemed packed and the middle non-existent

On paper Great. But your sounding like the worst DoF right about now.

We have 3 positions for our attack and you want us to compete for top 4 until the end of the season with:
  • A terrible number 9 in Rashford
  • An injury prone main striker in Martial
  • An 18 year old who is just breaking through and is in no way Lionel Messi at 18 or even Michael Owen.
  • Then there is Sancho… where’s Wolly!

It’s noway as solid as you are making it out to be to not add additional quality for the ‘attacking 3’.
I'm not saying don't sign anyone, I'm saying Gakpo isn't the guy we should be going for. Gakpo will be a 50m squad player who fails to outperform other starters which isn't what we want. We need depth, 100%. Get someone to be depth. I'm very much OK with getting Memphis in January for cheap, having him rotate with Martial and have Rashford, Antony, Garnacho and Sancho be the wing options. That will be good enough to see us through to the summer or the following summer, where we have the budget to actually spend big on a player that suits us more.

Gakpo is just going after a shiny toy who scored a few goals in the first half of the season in the dutch league and a few goals against mediocre opposition in the world cup, and COMPLETELY ignoring what players we have, what sort of player Gakpo is, what our team needs actually are, and his adaptability to the Prem. He's prime potential flop material and generally just doesn't have the potential level that would be required to succeed here.

I'm not saying don't sign anyone, I'm saying Gakpo isn't the guy we should be going for. Gakpo will be a 50m squad player who fails to outperform other starters which isn't what we want. We need depth, 100%. Get someone to be depth. I'm very much OK with getting Memphis in January for cheap, having him rotate with Martial and have Rashford, Antony, Garnacho and Sancho be the wing options. That will be good enough to see us through to the summer or the following summer, where we have the budget to actually spend big on a player that suits us more.

Gakpo is just going after a shiny toy who scored a few goals in the first half of the season in the dutch league and a few goals against mediocre opposition in the world cup, and COMPLETELY ignoring what players we have, what sort of player Gakpo is, what our team needs actually are, and his adaptability to the Prem. He's prime potential flop material and generally just doesn't have the potential level that would be required to succeed here.

Yeah IF going for him means we have to pull back on signing a number 9 in the summer then would prefer to get a Memphis and Thuram for depth on cheap deals.

Do you not worry about the lack of a quality number 9 though

Not really. I don't think we necessarily need an absolute pure 9. My impression of Gakpo is that he has a lot more to his game than people give him credit for. He could be a very good versatile 9, I think. I'm very excited to see what Ten Hag would do with him and also to see a frontline of Garnacho/Rashford - Gakpo - Antony, with Bruno just behind. A good combination of creativity, energy, and speed in that.

Not really. I don't think we necessarily need an absolute pure 9. My impression of Gakpo is that he has a lot more to his game than people give him credit for. He could be a very good versatile 9, I think. I'm very excited to see what Ten Hag would do with him and also to see a frontline of Garnacho/Rashford - Gakpo - Antony, with Bruno just behind. A good combination of creativity, energy, and speed in that.

I agree. I actually think we maybe need to get away from this fascination with an pure 9 role. Liverpool have showed for a few years that you dont necessarily need that kind of role if the goals are coming from all across that front line. I think that out and out CF is in need of a regen nowadays - managers are seemingly starting more to fancy having a versatile and adapatable front line to keep opponents guessing.

Fair enough but I disagree. The fact he’s not an out an out striker is perfect as it still leaves room for us to buy in the summer without disrupting the team. I don’t see the point in having Memphis for him to then be replaced in the summer and moved down to number 3. It doesn’t show much progress and could cause more harm to team moral. We would add to our unwanted list for the sake of 6 months.

Also as I pointed out we have a real lack of depth in our front line not just number 9. Gakpo improves this. He can occupy all those positions with many different combinations. Memphis doesn’t play that position anymore. Thuram maybe. Ain’t seen him except his World Cup and the other sub looked better.

If Gakpo signs for United, what would be their 1st choice and 2nd choice front 3?

For me the wide areas seemed packed and the middle non-existent

I think we have so many games and the notion of a fixed front 3 is pointless due to injuries/ form/ amount of games, if we do sign him I think it will be

Martial - Main striker, don't see him getting minutes in another position
Garnacho - Clearly rotational, predominantly left wing but will get time on the right in certain games
Rashford - Typically LW but will get time as a striker
Sancho - Should be between RW and LW
Antony - Should be nailed on for RW if he can step up
Gakpo - Spread between LW and Striker.

6 players for 3 positions and we loan Elanga out like we should have done.

Sorry for being excited about a played who I like, who actually wants to come here, and who we can realistically get. ;)
If he was free, sure. But hes clearly going to take a big chunk out of our already depleted budget, so hard to get excited about that, instead worrying if hes the right one..

I agree. I actually think we maybe need to get away from this fascination with an pure 9 role. Liverpool have showed for a few years that you dont necessarily need that kind of role if the goals are coming from all across that front line. I think that out and out CF is in need of a regen nowadays - managers are seemingly starting more to fancy having a versatile and adapatable front line to keep opponents guessing.
City also won without a pure 9 after Aguero until they signed Haaland and Alvarez

If he was free, sure. But hes clearly going to take a big chunk out of our already depleted budget, so hard to get excited about that, instead worrying if hes the right one..

I get that, but I believe that if we are going shopping this winter at all it's done under the assumption the club will be sold before long. In that case the budget doesn't matter, particularly if it's an oil state.

I think we have so many games and the notion of a fixed front 3 is pointless due to injuries/ form/ amount of games, if we do sign him I think it will be

Martial - Main striker, don't see him getting minutes in another position
Garnacho - Clearly rotational, predominantly left wing but will get time on the right in certain games
Rashford - Typically LW but will get time as a striker
Sancho - Should be between RW and LW
Antony - Should be nailed on for RW if he can step up
Gakpo - Spread between LW and Striker.

6 players for 3 positions and we loan Elanga out like we should have done.
I know you can't have a fixed front 3, but what I mean is.. Look at the 6 names you've given.. I'd argue that 4 out of 6 of them are best on the LW. Martial and Antony being the odd two, but even they've played there.

If United need a goal against Barcelona, City etc then I don't feel confident with any of them 6 being the lead striker.

I get that, but I believe that if we are going shopping this winter at all it's done under the assumption the club will be sold before long. In that case the budget doesn't matter, particularly if it's an oil state.
Correct. All this ‘investment’ in playing squad is solely aimed at maximising profitability of a sale next year. There’s every chance ETH gets his wish list and we have a stellar January window. Wouldn’t hurt the Glazers to go out in style either would it?

I think ETH wants him as a striker as he has the foundations to be a very well-rounded #9, even though he hasn't really played that position. It would be a big risk signing a winger from the Eresdivisie to play as a striker in the PL, but I think he can adapt and be a really good signing for us for the following reasons:

- He is tall and strong and has a fantastic shot with both feet. Playing with his back to goal and heading are things that can be taught.
- He is a very clever player and takes up good positions to get into scoring opportunities
- His passing and vision is quite good, meaning he can rotate with the wingers and even Bruno, playing in the #10 role as we saw in the world cup

Reactions: Penna
Fair enough but I disagree. The fact he’s not an out an out striker is perfect as it still leaves room for us to buy in the summer without disrupting the team. I don’t see the point in having Memphis for him to then be replaced in the summer and moved down to number 3. It doesn’t show much progress and could cause more harm to team moral. We would add to our unwanted list for the sake of 6 months.

Also as I pointed out we have a real lack of depth in our front line not just number 9. Gakpo improves this. He can occupy all those positions with many different combinations. Memphis doesn’t play that position anymore. Thuram maybe. Ain’t seen him except his World Cup and the other sub looked better.
Eh I don't think we have a lack of depth outside of #9. We have 4 players between 2 positions for the wings, which is perfect. Sancho is going through some shit right now but we don't just eliminate him from squad numbers on the back of that. Garnacho is a high potential 18 year old (IMO has a higher potential than Gakpo due to his pace and dribbling which Gakpo doesn't have). Gakpo hasn't really ever shown he can actually play as a #9. He's done OK on the right. Best on the left. For Netherlands he played in a free role and didn't do that great, but scored some nice goals. If we buy him and he's not meant as a striker, then we'll end up needing to sell one of the others as you can't keep 5 players happy between 2 positions, unless Rashford is moving to being a full time striker (Ten Hag has mentioned before that he's best on the left anyway).

For me Gakpo is just not good enough for the money that we'll spend, and for the squad place that he'll tie up. We need a more dynamic player than him. It looks like it'll happen but I really hope I'm wrong, because I don't see him being more than squad player quality, and we simply can't afford to keep spending 50m+ on squad player quality players. We'll have an attacker group of all who are decent, but nobody who is truly good enough to cement a key role for themselves, and we'll have spent 300m bringing them all together.

Eh I don't think we have a lack of depth outside of #9. We have 4 players between 2 positions for the wings, which is perfect. Sancho is going through some shit right now but we don't just eliminate him from squad numbers on the back of that. Garnacho is a high potential 18 year old (IMO has a higher potential than Gakpo due to his pace and dribbling which Gakpo doesn't have). Gakpo hasn't really ever shown he can actually play as a #9. He's done OK on the right. Best on the left. For Netherlands he played in a free role and didn't do that great, but scored some nice goals. If we buy him and he's not meant as a striker, then we'll end up needing to sell one of the others as you can't keep 5 players happy between 2 positions, unless Rashford is moving to being a full time striker (Ten Hag has mentioned before that he's best on the left anyway).

For me Gakpo is just not good enough for the money that we'll spend, and for the squad place that he'll tie up. We need a more dynamic player than him. It looks like it'll happen but I really hope I'm wrong, because I don't see him being more than squad player quality, and we simply can't afford to keep spending 50m+ on squad player quality players. We'll have an attacker group of all who are decent, but nobody who is truly good enough to cement a key role for themselves, and we'll have spent 300m bringing them all together.

We don’t have depth man. If we did Elanga wouldn’t get minutes. I bet he plays tomorrow. As they say the best ability is availability and Sancho unfortunately hasn’t shown anything to even be missed and I like his ability.

You are underrating Gakpo’s ability for one he’s as fast as Guarnacho, is he explosive/aggressive enough? I don’t believe so which is why his pace has gone unnoticed by you. Technically wise he’s very very competent. He reminds me of Mane.. and if I’ve got that spot on then we both know we will have a player on our hands. He just needs further development. For the price though yes it’s a big risk.

I wouldn't mind if we are getting him to play as a striker. I think he has all the tools to be a top strike so I'm curious to see if he can do it

He looks more like a Rashford replacement, rather than a Ronaldo replacement.

Status
Not open for further replies.