Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Admittedly, haven't seen much of him outside this WC, so may be why I dont get it with Gakpo. Clearly not a 9, and we already have 4 players who play off the left.

Haven't seen anything of Thuram bar his cameo against Morocco. Yet even then he looked a better profile of what we need even when playing out of position, and would be relatively cheap. Gakpo is going to cost far more and only makes any sense to me if Rashy is going.

So what am I missing?
Thuram is a donkey

Could this mean Rashford's long term future at United is in doubt? Unless ETH sees one of Gakpo or Rashford as the permanent number 9.

Otherwise we would have Garnacho/Sancho/Rashford/Gakpo as the options for the left which is far too many.

Could this mean Rashford's long term future at United is in doubt? Unless ETH sees one of Gakpo or Rashford as the permanent number 9.

Otherwise we would have Garnacho/Sancho/Rashford/Gakpo as the options for the left which is far too many.
Have you read what Erik thinks about Marcus....he is going nowhere buddy.

One thing Gakpo has in abundance that we're kinda lack of, is his fabulous crossing. His crossing from the left and right sides look really good. So he offers something different.
Might be true but quite pointless when we do not have any presence in the box and Martial is not strong in the air.

I can't think of a player that fans of their current club have been so agreed on him not being the right transfer for us. We've had many PSV fans in here question this move and that should raise many red flags as they watch him every week.

There were reservations about Antony by Ajax rival fans but the Ajax fans on here were very positive on him and felt he would come good.

From the twelve games or so I've watched him, its so easy to see why he isn't the right signing IMO. It doesn't make him a bad player but he's just not what we need up front.

Last edited:
I can't think of a player that fans of their current club have been so agreed on him not being the right transfer for us. We've had many Feyenoord fans in here question this move and that should raise many red flags as they watch him every week.

There were reservations about Antony by Ajax rival fans but the Ajax fans on here were very positive on him and felt he would come good.

From the twelve games or so I've watched him, its so easy to see why he isn't the right signing IMO. It doesn't make him a bad player but he's just not what we need up front.
And what do the PSV fans think? The club he actually plays for :lol:

Erik's rebuilding an entire squad not just a team. If he can't get the out and out No 9 he craves in January but can in the summer then it makes sense to buy another member of the squad he wants when he's available.

At first I couldn't see the logic in adding another wide attacker...but if you say Sancho is currently MIA and potentially not in the long term plans, plus Rashford might fancy a pay packet from PSG or Real, then adding Gakpo to the squad isn't the worst idea in the world.

Can't get excited about Gakpo looks well when the team is doing well, but he's not a game breaker

Erik's rebuilding an entire squad not just a team. If he can't get the out and out No 9 he craves in January but can in the summer then it makes sense to buy another member of the squad he wants when he's available.
There are 3 left wingers in the team: Rashford, Sancho, Garnacho (who all need to play). Plus Elanga.
What's the point of another one?

Think he'll play striker as well as on the wing, ETH probably sees a striker in the making with his attributes and the type of goals I've seen him score.

I've got a feeling Rashford is off to PSG on huge wages with what the their owner said. It's just a case of sorting out a fee as we have the option to extend a year. Of course things can change but it's probably been agreed a while back like Herrera did.

There are 3 left wingers in the team: Rashford, Sancho, Garnacho (who all need to play). Plus Elanga.
What's the point of another one?

As is we have don't even know what Sancho's gametime will look like for the rest of this season, let alone beyond that. And Rashford, as well as having doubts about his long-term future until he signs a contract, is our cover for the injury prone Martial at CF for the rest of this season at least.

As for Garnacho, I'm not sure what "need to play" means in the context of an 18 year old just breaking into the side. He needs some minutes sure, but not that many. Someone like Foden was making three PL starts all season when he was Garnacho's age, it's a good thing not to have to throw young players in the deep end.

Might be true but quite pointless when we do not have any presence in the box and Martial is not strong in the air.
We have some decent headers: Bruno, Casemiro, and probably the new striker as well.

I'm just looking for the advantage of signing Gakpo.

You’re in a difficult spot if you’re Van Nistelrooy tbh. What are you going to say? “No, you absolutely cannot leave PSV to join Manchester United. Well I don’t care if I did do exactly that…”

Not really sold on the player , don't think he has the quality to improve us , looks like a squad player to me.

But you have to trust the manager knows what he is doing and the club need to support that.

If it gets done it will most likely be our only business in January.

Could be ETH made up his mind. Still keep him as option to sign, but also look for classic strikers if available. If there's funds to sign Gakpo, perhaps there's chance to search bit more for additional attacking profile without spending too heavy.

So Cody and possibly Frankie arriving in January? Some serious money being spent, looks like the repairs to the Stretford End roof will just have to wait.

Yeah still hoping we go for one in the summer,will be seriously underwhelming if he's the answer Erik sees to striker problem

I saw it on Twitter that there's a growing belief that just like the summer, someone else (i.e. the next owners) are sanctioning the spending so it could be that we have a decent January as well as a good summer again.

Best case scenario for us would be him being moulded from a pacey left forward who can dribble into a well rounded striker, like Henry was at Arsenal. He did well with that limited Holland team at the World Cup and LVG didn‘t play the most exciting football to showcase more of his qualities.

I trust ETH on his choice of players he has bought so far. Even the ones that didn’t materialise despite reliable links are playing well like Rabiot.

I'm okay with this (bar the #7 shirt, let it remain free until at least the summer). All he has to do is be less shit than Ronaldo has been this season and we'll have a decent looking side.

Our record with Dutch wingers isn't great but strikers? We like Dutch strikers. Oh yesh. Hopefully he can be comfortable in that role here.

I am not convinced he is the striker we need. But whatever ETH decides.

I trust Ten Hagg over my reservations over him.

Whatever, I trust ten Hag

The thing is lads he is not a donkey or clumsy like Nunez on the ball, we saw him score 3 goals at WC from central positions.

Left foot, Right foot and a header. That is the complete box of finishing he displayed. Left footer was a outside the box rocket bending inside the post, right footer was a 1-2 link up combo play then sprinting dribble past players and stroking it with power into the corner. Then of course the well timed, great movement back of the head, header.

I don't recall Martial being tipped to be a modern link up clinical striker when we signed him, he was a tricky left winger with great footwork that could beat a man with mazy dribbles and finish really well. Then he seemed to reinvent and rebrand himself as a #9 after Rashy establishing himself, coming short and doing link up & combo play.

I have seen a lot of people pulling up stats about why he is not a striker but he is not being played there or coached there so it makes total sense. He looks technical enough to me that with a bit of coaching he can do the #9 focal point link up basics, holding it up with his big frame, popping it off and moving to the box, none of that is beyond him he is a big lad already for a winger.

As long as it actually a 50M euro deal that i've seen qouted, so like £42M quid, that is quite a good gamble on a player with his output and age with some potential sell on value if he doesn't pull up trees. No pressure to light up the world on that fee either.

:lol:

I think that right now the only thing ETH wants to do is to bulk up our attacking options who are now very limited.

Its not entirely connected to a striker or not.

I think that Gakpo will maybe(Only if the Glazers will give us money to spend because of the sale of the club) brought up and we stick with him and Marcus for 6 months until we'll bring an actual striker in the summer.

I think that right now the only thing ETH wants to do is to bulk up our attacking options who are now very limited.

Its not entirely connected to a striker or not.

I think that Gakpo will maybe(Only if the Glazers will give us money to spend because of the sale of the club) brought up and we stick with him and Marcus for 6 months until we'll bring an actual striker in the summer.

Yeah I could live with those two until the summer IF we actually get that striker of course

Status
Not open for further replies.