Cody Gakpo | OFFICIAL: Liverpool player

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because for some insane reason, EtH actually believed he could rely on PR37. He recently even said that he had planned on renewing PR37 for another season beyond next summer...
The answer is simple for us. We overspent on Antony and Martinez and are so cash-strapped, we couldn't afford to borrow more to buy him in the summer
I am not talking about the summer window. I mean why not bid now.. today.. wrap it up as soon as possible.. who waits till Jan 1 to start negotiating if you know you are going to bid for the player?

Gonna be an interesting one. ETH seems dead set on him being a valuable addition, while the majority of us think it's a bad fit and unnecessary. That being said, with Ronaldo leaving we no doubt need another forward and Gakpo is both reasonably priced and versatile which helps.

Yeah definitely feels like we need a proper number 9 more than a wide forward type

I am not talking about the summer window. I mean why not bid now.. today.. wrap it up as soon as possible.. who waits till Jan 1 to start negotiating if you know you are going to bid for the player?
Who says we aren’t? Deal isn’t done yet but there is every chance we are talking. We’ve been talking since the summer after all.

Still haven't figured him out. Sometimes he shows you flashes of brilliance and potential (e.g. the Leicester Europa tie last season) and other times you're scratching your head to find what is great about him. Don't think he's a PL 9 or winger at all and think his long term position will be just behind the striker in a role similar to what Dele Alli used to play at Spurs.

Would be worried about buying this guy for that money when we clearly need a proper goal scorer/ focal point. Maybe ETH has seen something that convinces him he could be a good 9.

I find his positioning quite odd. He does seem to get in at the tail end of the stats but I don’t really see him imposing himself on games or being on the ball much.

Having only watched his CL games and the WC, maybe he has more in his locker . I just don’t think he is Necessarily the type of player we should be going for considering Ronny is gone and Martial won’t last the rest of the season without injury.

Would be worried about buying this guy for that money when we clearly need a proper goal scorer/ focal point. Maybe ETH has seen something that convinces him he could be a good 9.

I find his positioning quite odd. He does seem to get in at the tail end of the stats but I don’t really see him imposing himself on games or being on the ball much.

Having only watched his CL games and the WC, maybe he has more in his locker . I just don’t think he is Necessarily the type of player we should be going for considering Ronny is gone and Martial won’t last the rest of the season without injury.

If we sign him I think it's a lot more likely that we've accepted the #9 we want won't be available until the summer and are looking to bolster the attack in other ways in the meantime.

With doubts over Sancho's availability particularly, signing Gakpo as a LW option would allow Rashford to provide the cover for Martial for the rest of the season. And if we think he can play as a #10/second striker, he could also effectively step ahead of VDB in the pecking order as cover/alternative for Bruno. And then the potential to try him as a #9 on top of that, or for his presence at LW to allow Rashord/Sancho to step in at RW for Antony when needed. Options, basically.

Football is a squad game and adding extra attacking output, from any position, will help us across the rest of the season. And if a proper #9 has to wait until the summer then we really will need as much output as possible from elsewhere.

I see what you are saying now but I think you are assuming nothing is being done now while in reality if we are close to signing him, we'd have had to do a lot of work already.

Also, if you rush too much, you might miss out on unexpected deals like Felix, so sometimes it pays to see what's on offer.

I see what you are saying now but I think you are assuming nothing is being done now while in reality if we are close to signing him, we'd have had to do a lot of work already.

Also, if you rush too much, you might miss out on unexpected deals like Felix, so sometimes it pays to see what's on offer.
If we mess him around again this window that would be supremely shitey of the club. Get him signed and then see what else is around.

If we mess him around again this window that would be supremely shitey of the club. Get him signed and then see what else is around.
We don't have the money to sign more than one attacker, maybe even more than one player.

We don't have the money to sign more than one attacker, maybe even more than one player.
Memphis on a free, Felix on loan with an obligation.
We also have a few hundred million in a credit facility should we decide to use it. This will obviously add to the clubs debt but the money is there.
The real issue may actually be FFP.

We also have a few hundred million in a credit facility should we decide to use it. This will obviously add to the clubs debt but the money is there.
Yup, but Memphis is not good enough and Felix is not a striker.

Maybe we are looking at Thuram and Moukoko who are entering the final 6 months on their contracts? Thuram might not be good enough and Moukoko is still very young, but Gakpo at 50m eur is a big gamble.

Don't want Depay, he was a flop first time and I don't think he'll do much better again.

I am not entirely convinced on Gakpo tbh, especially at €50m. €30-35m would have been OK but now I fear we are paying the hype and WC hype tax.

I'd rather we get Felix on loan and focus on a RB to help Dalot for the remainder of this grind of a season

From someone that watches a lot of him, we need to let someone else take him. We will regret this. He’s not for us. We need a completely different type of player. An out and out No9. He’s far from that.

Don't want Depay, he was a flop first time and I don't think he'll do much better again.

I am not entirely convinced on Gakpo tbh, especially at €50m. €30-35m would have been OK but now I fear we are paying the hype and WC hype tax.

I'd rather we get Felix on loan and focus on a RB to help Dalot for the remainder of this grind of a season
I think Memphis would be great. He’s a different guy from the first time round and would be perfect backup for Anto M.
I agree we should have got Gakpo in the summer, even with the Antony overspend - would have saved money in the long run.

Yup, but Memphis is not good enough and Felix is not a striker.

Maybe we are looking at Thuram and Moukoko who are entering the final 6 months on their contracts? Thuram might not be good enough and Moukoko is still very young, but Gakpo at 50m eur is a big gamble.
You’re right Lady F. It was just 2 names as examples. Based solely on WC performances I’d like a pop at Ramos, but who knows.
I think Memphis would be fine as backup for Tony M, purely as cheap mid season squad reinforcement.

We need more goals in the team and his record stands up. If Ten Hag wants him then am fine with that. He might not even be brought in as a 9. Remember Ten Hag said that when he came in his initial idea was for Rashford to be an option there - he has shown improvement in that role with better physicality, pressing and amazingly even heading. So who knows but Gakpo would be a quality addition in my opinion.

Last edited:
I know nothing about, Gakpo except what i have seen at the WC. ETH signings have been good so far. Would we be better off at the end of the season by signing him now, or not buying anyone else this window?

We need more goals in the team and his record stands up. If Ten Hag wants him then am fine with that. He might not even be brought in as a 9. Remember Ten Hag said that when he came in his initial idea was for Rashford to be an option there - he has shown improvement in that role with better physicality, pressing and amazingly even heading. So who knows but Gakpo would be a quality addition in my opinion.

One thing Gakpo has in abundance that we're kinda lack of, is his fabulous crossing. His crossing from the left and right sides look really good. So he offers something different.

Tem Hag wants him. Ten Hag wants Licha Martinez and Antony, even at a pisstake of a price. Ten Hag wants Dumfries. Ten Hag wants De Jong and will accept no alternative....

Is it just me or that screams "Ten Hag has zero trust and confidence in United's scouting and recruitment department" ?

Paying 80 mill for Antony fkd this whole market. Liverpool fkd the Portuguese market with Nunez and Athletico with Felix. Now every half decent player is worth 80 mill plus. And Gakpo is not. Heck Antony wasnt or Felix or Nunez. I dont see where you can get a player for a decent fee anymore. We cant be spending 80 plus mill on prospects all the time. We will need 300 mill plus to fill the gaps in the team - 80 mill striker, 80 mill midfielder, 80 mill CB, 60 mill RB. And thats not even top level players like Haaland, Mbappe level. Just really good prospects. Is that what it is these days.
Honestly Antony better pan out or that would have been such a back-breaker of a financial decision. He needs to more than pan out, he better become a star for that sum, and its knock-on effects on the market, to be justified. What we paid for him is bordering on financial wrecklessness.

Tem Hag wants him. Ten Hag wants Licha Martinez and Antony, even at a pisstake of a price. Ten Hag wants Dumfries. Ten Hag wants De Jong and will accept no alternative....

Is it just me or that screams "Ten Hag has zero trust and confidence in United's scouting and recruitment department" ?

More like "United have zero trust and confidence in United's scouting and recruitment department". Not the biggest fan of this approach.

Generally, yes. And rightly so really. There seemed to be a lot of upheaval behind the scenes in the months prior to his arrival. I'm not sure how much faith you could have in a structure that seemed to be in the midst of getting overhauled. I would hope we're in a better position this summer and we might see a bit more variety of targets but who knows.

That said, it's also worth bearing in mind that Casemiro was reportedly a club suggestion that ETH agreed to, so it hasn't been entirely ETH-driven. And I would think that even when the club does have significant input, they'd still prefer the general image projected to be one where ETH is in charge, driving all the transfers and getting the players he wants.

Admittedly, haven't seen much of him outside this WC, so may be why I dont get it with Gakpo. Clearly not a 9, and we already have 4 players who play off the left.

Haven't seen anything of Thuram bar his cameo against Morocco. Yet even then he looked a better profile of what we need even when playing out of position, and would be relatively cheap. Gakpo is going to cost far more and only makes any sense to me if Rashy is going.

So what am I missing?

Not what we need and more than we're likely to spend in January. Doubt there is anything in it.

Not what we need and more than we're likely to spend in January. Doubt there is anything in it.

Yet, he does appear to be the only 'striker' we seem to be actually interested in. From summer till now, the links remain persistent and the interest appears genuine.

I can't recall another striker who we have been so seriously linked with. So while it is surprising that we seem to want to sign Gakpo in the first place, it would surprise me more if we now signed anybody else but Gakpo.

Would you?

It’s you. And to be fair he’s not been wrong….. so far!

I don't think he would be up to playing as a CF for us from what I have seen in the World Cup and I doubt he is better in the wide positions that what we already have.
I am all for trusting Erik but if he doesn't give VDB the punt soon then I will be asking questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.