Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
As Keegan, Ducker, Stone et al have all made clear, nobody (including Qatar) thinks the club is worth as much as the Glazers do and none of them are likely to meet the Glazers' asking price of £5bn.

One of the big unknowns is how the Glazers will react if nobody meets their price. Minority sale instead? Walkaway entirely or try to negotiate the price up? We're probably going to find out pretty soon but reports have suggested that the Glazer family themselves are split over this issue, with some more bullish on the price than others.
The parasites are about to get at least £4billion for putting nothing into the club, ontop of almost 20 years of dividends in the millions. Hopefully this is just the cnuts posturing to drive a bidding war.

As Keegan, Ducker, Stone et al have all made clear, nobody (including Qatar) thinks the club is worth as much as the Glazers do and none of them are likely to meet the Glazers' asking price of £5bn.

One of the big unknowns is how the Glazers will react if nobody meets their price. Minority sale instead? Walkaway entirely or try to negotiate the price up? We're probably going to find out pretty soon but reports have suggested that the Glazer family themselves are split over this issue, with some more bullish on the price than others.

Key is if the Raine group can get an auction going. Saudi v Qatar and I bet the deal exceeds all expectations

I just don’t see how that isn’t complicated to get through the EPL. Qatar have their guy in UEFA and the precedent with the red bull clubs - if I’m the glazers that bid seems far safer and quicker to get through than a Saudi one.

Premier League rules over dual ownership are a lot stricter than UEFA's, too. UEFA say no controlling interest (51% of the shares) is allowed in any two clubs in the same competition. The Premier League set the limit at 10%. The Saudi groups would have to demonstrate total separation from PIF or Bin Salman.

I just don’t see how that isn’t complicated to get through the EPL. Qatar have their guy in UEFA and the precedent with the red bull clubs - if I’m the glazers that bid seems far safer and quicker to get through than a Saudi one.

Aye. I’m hoping their interest will spark the Qatari’s into doing whatever it takes to acquire the club knowing the fierce rivalry between the Arab countries. None of them would want to lose out to one another.

If Saudi buy us would that mean that Newcastle would become our feeder club?

It's likely the Glazers have purposely overpriced the club as a negotiation tactic knowing any prospective buyers will try to negotiate the asking price down because of the debt.

In terms of valuation, there is the actual value of the club on paper and the unique opportunity to buy.... i.e. Von Gogh's sunflowers last sale of $40m is based only on it's uniqueness nothing else.... how many opportunities will there be to buy Man Utd? ok we are talking silly money, but it is all relative, when you have $300bn ++, it is also worth noting that the net worth of all these billionaires is purely speculative, there cannot be any doubt that all have off book assets and wealth

Personally, I don't care for oil money. I want an ownership that:
  1. doesn't saddle the club with debt
  2. allows the funds generated to be re-invested into the club
  3. cares about football success, not just the money
  4. is vaguely ethical (no money laundering or tax evasion, no promoting regimes that use slave labour and punish homosexuality with death etc.)
  5. doesn't interfere with the management of the football side and it allows the football people to make the footballing decisions
Saudis or Qataris would definitely meet my first 3 criteria. Potentially, depending on the owner, the 5th too. Would most likely fail the 4th.

Ratcliffe is most likely to meet all 5. Being a lifelong fan he's only probably at risk of breaking number 4, interfering with football management. It's the least amount of risk. I'd take that.

Personally, I don't care for oil money. I want an ownership that:
  1. doesn't saddle the club with debt
  2. allows the funds generated to be re-invested into the club
  3. cares about football success, not just the money
  4. is vaguely ethical (no money laundering or tax evasion, no promoting regimes that use slave labour and punish homosexuality with death etc.)
  5. doesn't interfere with the management of the football side and it allows the football people to make the footballing decisions
Saudis or Qataris would definitely meet my first 3 criteria. Potentially, depending on the owner, the 5th too. Would most likely fail the 4th.

Ratcliffe is most likely to meet all 5. Being a lifelong fan he's only probably at risk of breaking number 4, interfering with football management. It's the least amount of risk. I'd take that.
Sorry but this is a pipedream. Jim Ratcliffe just hasn't got the funds compared to the other wealthy parties rumoured to be interested. Plus, he's on record saying he would run any football club he acquired as a business first. It's just not happening with this guy - plus he's a raging Brexit Tory.

A minority sale doesn’t really work either if no one meets their valuation, the sale would still be done on a valuation lower than what they want. They also have to consider that this may be the peak for club valuations, can’t see someone coming in at 7 or 8 bn in a few years especially with interest rates going up.

I'm not sure whether the interested parties think Glazers want too much or are just haggling.

There's also the issue whether the Glazers do believe that the club is worth so much. Maybe they had set a high price so they can lower the price once sitting at the negotiating table.

There's also the issue whether the Glazers do believe that the club is worth so much. Maybe they had set a high price so they can lower the price once sitting at the negotiating table.

I'm not convinced that works in these sort of deals. Anyone looking to buy will have valued the club completely independently of the Glazers valuation. If they think we are worth 2bn thats all they will offer no matter how much the glazers ask for.

Indeed. 6 billion ONO. That's usually how it works, businessmen are unlikely not to to haggle or negotiate. On both sides.

Thing is if the Glazers actually invested in the club. stadium, infrastructure training facilitys etc it would be worth a lot more than they are asking.

Sorry but this is a pipedream. Jim Ratcliffe just hasn't got the funds compared to the other wealthy parties rumoured to be interested. Plus, he's on record saying he would run any football club he acquired as a business first. It's just not happening with this guy - plus he's a raging Brexit Tory.
What a lot of nonsense. Whilst he obviously hasn’t got vast wealth of oil states he and his company can easily afford to purchase United and remove the debt. The club can bankroll itself easily.
Running the club ‘as a business’ simply means being prudent, not being wasteful and incompetent. It’s actually in the clubs interest.
All this Brexiteer rubbish is irrelevant too. We had a vote, some were pro, some were anti and there were pros and cons to both views. It’s done and gone and has no bearing on his ability to buy and run a football club. If we are going to have a debate about the pros and cons of prospective bidders let’s keep it relevant and reasoned.

Thing is if the Glazers actually invested in the club. stadium, infrastructure training facilitys etc it would be worth a lot more than they are asking.

They are receiving more than 4 billions without investing anything of their own money. They are playing a blinder here.

If they buy out their siblings and don't sell I swear to fecking god.

I'm not convinced that works in these sort of deals. Anyone looking to buy will have valued the club completely independently of the Glazers valuation. If they think we are worth 2bn thats all they will offer no matter how much the glazers ask for.

That works with companies whose wealth is tangible. Take for example a factory producing pants. An owner can calculate the assets, the production, the profit per pants. United's main asset is its fan base and brand. That is impossible to quantify accurately

Also see it from the Glazer's point of view. They entered all this from a position of weakness. The club's infrastructure is crumbling, their main customers hate them, their sponsors are leaving, the club is not generating enough profits for their beloved dividends to be paid, there's a world recession at the door and the interest rates are set to sky rocket. They would be desperate not to show themselves as desperate. So what would they do to achieve that? They'll slap a ridiculously high price to it and they'll state that they'll willing and comfortable to walk away from everything if the price isn't met. On top of that there are many other advantages to that

a- it improves the asset's prestige. Only the very wealthy can buy the club, possibly states/nations. That's sort of prestige is what persuade people to buy a Ferrari and a Bentley even though they'll probably be served better by a lesser car

b-it will only attract serious bidders. Someone who can recoup 3b by forming a huge consortium and loaning money from the devil (both operations are complex and time wasting) will not need to apply. As said time is of an essence here as the club is not making enough profit and interest rates are going him. Not to forget that Liverpool and probably Juve are on sale which means that if the process is slow then they might snatch a rich buyer thus reducing the pool of buyers for us. The last thing the Glazers would want is for summer to hit home with the club still in their hands especially if United doesn't have the dosh to buy players. That would pop the illusion that these idiots can afford us which in turn will persuade everyone to low ball them

c- there is an outside chance that some Emir with a huge ego would pay the asking price in exchange of a quick buy especially if he learns that a rival royal family elsewhere (Saudis?) are interested.

If they could have done that then they would completed the deal long ago and without showing the books to anyone. United is not producing enough money to pay dividends, its infrastructure is in shambles and sponsors are leaving. They need to sell

I actually see the Glazers staying as a far more likely thing to happen than Sir Jim Ratcliffe taking over.

i think we should all chill about the Glazers staying on

none of these investors want to come in as a bit part player

Were they not trying to rope in Apollo earlier for the same deal - to buy out their siblings. Doubt they have the money, so it has to be a minority investment with no inputs in the running of the club since those shares automatically lose their voting values on being sold.

Very unlikely we'll see investors going down the route of investing a couple of billion with no real say in the running of the club and the money being pocketed by the sellers rather than being invested in the club (which will still need massive investments).

All this before taking into account our debt and interest rates on them which must have sky rocketed.

This is why I won’t believe it until it’s 100% done and dusted and the new owners are standing in OT. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if these parasites cling onto the club and continue sucking us dry. Worst case scenario is they price the Qatari’s out of a move and instead they travel down the road and buy Liverpool for half the price.

What a lot of nonsense. Whilst he obviously hasn’t got vast wealth of oil states he and his company can easily afford to purchase United and remove the debt. The club can bankroll itself easily.
Running the club ‘as a business’ simply means being prudent, not being wasteful and incompetent. It’s actually in the clubs interest.
All this Brexiteer rubbish is irrelevant too. We had a vote, some were pro, some were anti and there were pros and cons to both views. It’s done and gone and has no bearing on his ability to buy and run a football club. If we are going to have a debate about the pros and cons of prospective bidders let’s keep it relevant and reasoned.

Ratcliffes bid from what I’ve understood will be based on borrowing from Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan. It’s basically the American Glazers for the English Ratcliffe. The debt could be potentially increase under his proposal

This is why I won’t believe it until it’s 100% done and dusted and the new owners are standing in OT. Wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest if these parasites cling onto the club and continue sucking us dry. Worst case scenario is they price the Qatari’s out of a move and instead they travel down the road and buy Liverpool for half the price.

Tbf in that case we would still own the high moral ground

The Glazers staying is the least likely of the least likeliest options.

Well SJR is less likely than that. They want 5-6bn and he wants to pay 3.5-4bn. Its never ever happening.

Also dont sleep on the news that came out last week. Super League is likely coming soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.