Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

I could actually get on board with bringing Beckham into the fold in the sort of prestigious tapping up role that Zidane has held at Madrid.

Cantona too but he wouldn’t be seen dead working with the Qataris.

Let’s be honest though, a lot of our club legends we shouldn’t have anywhere near roles that carry authority.

It is this type of stupidity that worries me could be the case with someone we not very little about.

I agree with that. Things like that are pure PR and I'm not sure it would be best for the club. Not a fan of that idea at all. Almost makes the Ratcliffe offer look attractive

The Twitter kids with a Qatar flag in their bio are already dismissing this as "Ratcliffe PR". :lol:

Love how they just conveniently refuse to believe anything that doesn't suit their agenda. Qatar and Jassim are perfect in everything and they won't hear otherwise!

I could actually get on board with bringing Beckham into the fold in the sort of prestigious tapping up role that Zidane has held at Madrid.

Cantona too but he wouldn’t be seen dead working with the Qataris.

Let’s be honest though, a lot of our club legends we shouldn’t have anywhere near roles that carry authority.
That’s the thing here - we’re not talking about ceremonial ambassadorial duties but actual day to day functioning of the football club. It’s got disaster written all over it.

Has nobody realised yet that the Glazers are not going anywhere?

This is, and always has been, a load of hot air.

*this is just my opinion

Says it'll be legends from the two most recent CL winning teams (99 and 08)

Other than van der Sar, and Fletcher who we already have, I can't think of any who'd be in line for "senior executive roles" here - Neville or Butt?

Beckham (or Ronaldo in time) as the lead ambassador would make sense, but that's not an executive role.

That’s the thing here - we’re not talking about ceremonial ambassadorial duties but actual day to day functioning of the football club. It’s got disaster written all over it.

Depends on who they are. A club like Bayern has always used former legends in those roles and mostly it has worked out quite well for them.

Imagine if this was Ratcliffe's intention according to the article. The reception to those news would be completely different.

Indeed. It would be 100% reversed from both sides. The Qatari fans would call it idiotic and mates fc and you lot would call it brilliant and proof that Jim is such a true fan.

Says it'll be legends from the two most recent CL winning teams (99 and 08)

Other than van der Sar, and Fletcher who we already have, I can't think of any who'd be in line for "senior executive roles" here - Neville or Butt?

Beckham (or Ronaldo in time) as the lead ambassador would make sense, but that's not an executive role.
Rio the only other one I can think of. The guy's been gagging for a role at United.

Thats a pretty fecking disgusting post

I mean...not really? It would be a pretty disgusting act to do it - it's not disgusting to draw attention to the fact that Qatar is a country with archaic domestic violence and guardianship laws where people like Giggs and Greenwood (allegedly) would be far more accepted in society. These are just facts that people need to deal with.

Indeed. It would be 100% reversed from both sides. The Qatari fans would call it idiotic and mates fc and you lot would call it brilliant and proof that Jim is such a true fan.

No, I wouldn't.

I think generally it's a dumb idea if it's based on nothing but the person previously being a player here.

However, I also think that us supporters don't really know what's going on behind the scenes, so there's little info to judge on...for example, do we really know whether Fletcher is a useful employee of the club? No, I don't think we have enough to judge that so I never criticised the club / managers for things like that.

We also see how successful McKenna and Carrick have been since leaving United, and most supporters would've said they are useless personnel, part of Mates FC.

I mean...not really? It would be a pretty disgusting act to do it - it's not disgusting to draw attention to the fact that Qatar is a country with archaic domestic violence and guardianship laws where people like Giggs and Greenwood (allegedly) would be far more accepted in society. These are just facts that people need to deal with.

indeed, although you'll still get labelled a racist for making a humorous joke based on this fact.

The tweet talks about the Sheik. That post implies that he himself is a okay with rapists and abusers.

The tweet talks about the Sheik. That post implies that he himself is a okay with rapists and abusers.

Well, he is part of the royal family and has certainly enjoyed the perks of that, like becoming the chairman of one of his country's biggest banks and becoming a billionaire by his mid 20s.

We obviously don't know what kind of a person he is, but would anyone be surprised if he was just another asshole billionaire that abuses his power does horrible things to other people, because well, he can?

He comes from a society that has normalized domestic violence, marital abuse and archaic guardianship laws. He is in bed with the people who make those laws, with people who treat women as second class citizens. It is not a huge leap.

What's disgusting is not acknowledging this because you want your football team to do well.

He comes from a society that has normalized domestic violence, marital abuse and archaic guardianship laws. He is in bed with the people who make those laws, with people who treat women as second class citizens. It is not a huge leap.

What's disgusting is not acknowledging this because you want your football team to do well.

What's even worse is that his football team is one of the richest in the world and has outspent almost every other team even under incompetent owners that also take dividends out every year.

FFS, they can't even get pandering to the fans right. This will not go down well with most of the fanbase who will rightly see this as a stupid idea.

They sound like a bunch of morons, Woodward-esque even. Doesn't bode well.

but would anyone be surprised if he was just another asshole billionaire that abuses his power does horrible things to other people, because well, he can?

No. But you could say the exact same thing about Jim Rattcliffe?

I'm not a Ratcliffe fan, but there's a difference between being an asshole (which he probably is) whose company does unethical things and being a murderous regime.

There is a lot more visible media on Jim Ratcliffe and he has mainly lived/operated in the UK where standards are different, so I don't think the comparison is quite the same.

So Jim Rattcliffe is someone who kills Journalists and abuses women and murders gay people?
Given as he is in bed with the Saudis?

Ineos billionaire Jim Ratcliffe in $2bn Saudi investment - BBC News

I'm not a Ratcliffe fan, but there's a difference between being an asshole (which he probably is) whose company does unethical things and being a murderous regime.

But I was talking about the Sheik himself which the tweet was about, not the regime.

And before this goes any further I should note I personally hope we see someone other than a statebacked billionair or Ineos because neither sounds ideal to me.

But I was talking about the Sheik himself which the tweet was about, not the regime.

And before this goes any further I should note I personally hope we see someone other than a statebacked billionair or Ineos because neither sounds ideal to me.

I understand, but how likely is it that Jassim or his dad are using their own money? And how likely is it that they disagree with their own family about their country's major political laws and human rights issues?

I understand, but how likely is it that Jassim or his dad are using their own money? And how likely is it that they disagree with their own family about their country's major political laws and human rights issues?

I dont know. Its why I said its not ideal to me, because it seems somewhat unlikely its their own money. Given that he studied and lived in England for several years he might not agree with the issues? Its certainly a leap for me to imply he would downright celebrate abuse of women by getting those two cnuts as the first ones.

I look forward to being done with the Glazers and their energy zapping, joy sucking, overly drawn out sagas.

I dont know. Its why I said its not ideal to me, because it seems somewhat unlikely its their own money. Given that he studied and lived in England for several years he might not agree with the issues? Its certainly a leap for me to imply he would downright celebrate abuse of women by getting those two cnuts as the first ones.

Yeah, like I said, we don't know him...and although I'm heavily in favor of Ineos, I don't want to assume anything about Jassim. It's just not very likely that he's clean.

But the reality is mere football fans can do very little.
For the Glazers it simply comes down to money. I've run my own business and from experience it always comes down to money, no matter what. Emotions, feelings and 'doing the right thing' rarely come into it. The Glazers won't care about Qatars human rights record, will be the furthest thing from their mind

Likewise with Ratcliffe. As others have pointed out, his green credentials aren't great and people have found fault there. In fact you can do this with most companies. People mentioned Amazon or Apple buying us out at one point, but dig deep enough and ones got employees saying they are used like slaves and the other uses kids in Asian tech factories. There will always be something, it's just the way the world is so no point getting wound up by it. Life is too short

The reality is, we simply don't live in a perfect world and we're far away from living in one too. There's reality and then there's people's emotions and the two are rarely the same thing.

If the Qataris take over then the best way to spark change is from within. Make it clear what we want Man Utd to stand for and what we represent. Maybe that little spark is something they take back home with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.