Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am a third generation United supporter which trace its origins before the Munich tragedy. I also don't switch my support because others are doing better then we do. Believe it or not you can be foreigner and not be a glory hunter. That doesn't mean that I would go to the sentimental BS though. I would still call a spade for what it is.
Nobody's suggested that to be the case. I'm just asking what sets United apart from other clubs for you?

There is still value in supporting a football club for what it is and what its always meant; your birthright, a strong community, culture and identity, a shared experience amongst like minded people. Celebrating those moments of sheer bliss like it's the world cup final and Champions League final rolled into one. If we're outmuscled occasionally by a rich person's plaything or sportwashing project, who cares? A good manager will always find a way. Fergie saw them all off. Chelsea seemed unstoppable in 2006.

And in addition, Chelsea (who can still get relegated this season and City (currently facing 100 plus financial charges and breaches) are hardly adverts for that type of model. Sure, City, in this case might beat those charges but their title will be forever tainted. Even if they win the Treble, they'll never do it like we did.

United fans actively wanting Qatar in makes me feel really uneasy. Aside from the obvious social and political ramifications, we still have no idea what their intentions are.

You are a genuinely great poster and a good man. Excellent post.

Obviously we outspent teams like Everton, but we were never the biggest spenders.

90's:
1-90s.png

Pre Abramovich:
2-Pre-Chelsea.png

Sir Alex:
3-SAF.png

All PL:
4-All-time.png
I don't see how this disproves my point, infact it absolutely strenghtens it. Pre Abromovich we were the 2nd top spenders, we had a great manager so our spending was done well and we won a lot of trophies, we need to spend money to win, that is as true today as it was in the 90's. We just aren't spending it well.

We are back to this again... For the 12th time.

Let's start something different. Cats for United or Dogs for United?

Which is your preferred choice?

Is this conversation going to die when whoever takes over, takes over, I swear this whole thread could be condensed to like 100 pages max. Same conversations over and over again

There is still value in supporting a football club for what it is and what its always meant; your birthright, a strong community, culture and identity, a shared experience amongst like minded people. Celebrating those moments of sheer bliss like it's the world cup final and Champions League final rolled into one. If we're outmuscled occasionally by a rich person's plaything or sportwashing project, who cares? A good manager will always find a way. Fergie saw them all off. Chelsea seemed unstoppable in 2006.

And in addition, Chelsea (who can still get relegated this season and City (currently facing 100 plus financial charges and breaches) are hardly adverts for that type of model. Sure, City, in this case might beat those charges but their title will be forever tainted. Even if they win the Treble, they'll never do it like we did.

United fans actively wanting Qatar in makes me feel really uneasy. Aside from the obvious social and political ramifications, we still have no idea what their intentions are.
Great post.

Not sure where you're going with the whole 'birthright' part, but great post aside from that. Doing well the right way is more enjoyable than winning the league every year due to being the plaything of a state.

Good post. It’s crazy how people can’t see that a successful club has much more to do with getting the right manager/sporting structures in place than just throwing money at the problem. Liverpool and City have been dominating recently because of Pep and Klopp. Not because they’re outspending everyone around them. And, as you said, Fergie regularly saw off clubs that spent more money than us. Yet here we have a huge cohort of fans who seem to care about nothing more than how much money our new owners will spend. Despite the absolute train wreck we’re witnessing at Chelsea.

Good post. It’s crazy how people can’t see that a successful club has much more to do with getting the right manager/sporting structures in place than just throwing money at the problem. Liverpool and City have been dominating recently because of Pep and Klopp. Not because they’re outspending everyone around them. And, as you said, Fergie regularly saw off clubs that spent more money than us. Yet here we have a huge cohort of fans who seem to care about nothing more than how much money our new owners will spend. Despite the absolute train wreck we’re witnessing at Chelsea.

At the peak we were the top spenders. Also Ineos is kind of shit in football. Just lookbhow nice and Lausanne are run.

It's going to be Qatar isn't it.

In a straight bidding war, SJR was always unlikely to beat Qatar, but the alternative bid that has seemingly emerged in the past few weeks, where Avram and Joel are permitted to remain while SJR facilitates the exits of the other siblings, might prove attractive. Qatar are not offering this option.

Despite all the press speculation, we really don't know enough about the internal politics of the Glazer family to judge what the most likely outcome is here. Nothing would surprise me at this stage.

Not sure where you're going with the whole 'birthright' part, but great post aside from that. Doing well the right way is more enjoyable than winning the league every year due to being the plaything of a state.

By Birthright, I just mean the metaphorical passing of the United baton from grandfather to father, father to son. Taking those first steps down Warwick Road with your family for the first time. It's what makes football special.

I went to the Youth Cup final last season, and it was probably one of the best football days out I've had in years. The ground was full of groups of mates and families stood together. Granted, it can't be like that every week for obvious reasons but it was the best indication of why, despite everything with the Glazers post 2005, I still love United.

Last edited:
I’m seeing so many posts that are all over the place so basically it’s this as far as Qatar are concerned and I won’t do Ratcliffe’s as he’s a rat cnut,

The Glazer’s own 69% of the club
The Glazer’s own 100% of the voting
31% of the club is floated
Qatar bid £5.2 billion for 69% of the club
Qatar want to then buy the other 31% after
The whole £5.2 billion goes to the Glazer’s
£5.2 billion is roughly $6.5 billion
Each Glazer gets over $1 billion
Total investment is estimated at £10 billion

Which club in the PL is actually not a plaything of a rich fellow? Nearly all clubs are owned by billionaire businessmen and in the next 10 years I would expect Middle Eastern oil money to own the majority of all big clubs. There is no more "right way" left because of the revenues and money involved. Also I don't understand how anyone can stand the Glazers still being associated with this club after all they've done to it. Is that the legacy you want to pass on to future generations of Utd supporters?

Is this conversation going to die when whoever takes over, takes over, I swear this whole thread could be condensed to like 100 pages max. Same conversations over and over again

The problem is there are only a few here that invest in reading most of the thread. You know who you are!

Those who bring up the same tired topics are those who only read the latest two pages.

Then think what popped into their head is some new topic that has not been discussed the previous 1100 pages like some biblical revelation. And then go on to pontificate on it like he was John the feckin Baptist

Which club in the PL is actually not a plaything of a rich fellow? Nearly all clubs are owned by billionaire businessmen and in the next 10 years I would expect Middle Eastern oil money to own the majority of all big clubs. There is no more "right way" left because of the revenues and money involved. Also I don't understand how anyone can stand the Glazers still being associated with this club after all they've done to it. Is that the legacy you want to pass on to future generations of Utd supporters?

You can want the Glazers Out and also be very sceptical/concerned about what comes next.

I don't think anyone on this thread wants the Glazers to stay.

Actively cheering one set of potential new owners (again, without any real indication of what their intentions are) could make people look very foolish in a few years.

There weren't many players we wanted that we didn't get which meant that others were forced to buy 2nd-3rd options. We were also lucky to produce a 2 in a club lifetime generation youth batch. Good luck buying Scholes, giggs and becks in this market with a limited budget
What you said wasn't true though. I'm still wondering what you think sets United apart from other clubs, not having a go but genuinely interested as I'm trying to understand a view that differs to my own.

What you said wasn't true though. I'm still wondering what you think sets United apart from other clubs, not having a go but genuinely interested as I'm trying to understand a view that differs to my own.

You have to see thing in a certain perspective. I promise to answer that afterwards once I'm on my pc. It's a pain to post on a mobile

The problem is there are only a few here that invest in reading most of the thread. You know who you are!

Those who bring up the same tired topics are those who only read the latest two pages.

Then think what popped into their head is some new topic that has not been discussed the previous 1100 pages like some biblical revelation. And then go on to pontificate on it like he was John the feckin Baptist
Then there are those who reply like Suella Braverman

I’m seeing so many posts that are all over the place so basically it’s this as far as Qatar are concerned and I won’t do Ratcliffe’s as he’s a rat cnut,

The Glazer’s own 69% of the club
The Glazer’s own 100% of the voting
31% of the club is floated
Qatar bid £5.2 billion for 69% of the club
Qatar want to then buy the other 31% after
The whole £5.2 billion goes to the Glazer’s
£5.2 billion is roughly $6.5 billion
Each Glazer gets over $1 billion
Total investment is estimated at £10 billion

I don't think that's correct. The bids will be for the EV of the club. If Qatar/SJR bids £5.5bn, the Glazers recieve a total of c. £3.3bn for their Class B shares.

You can want the Glazers Out and also be very sceptical/concerned about what comes next.

I don't think anyone on this thread wants the Glazers to stay.

Actively cheering one set of potential new owners (again, without any real indication of what their intentions are) could make people look very foolish in a few years.
I understand the moral concerns about state ownership. But if other state owned clubs have shown anything it's that these guys want to win if only for their prestige. We could do with that kind of single mindedness the state the entire club is in.

There weren't many players we wanted that we didn't get which meant that others were forced to buy 2nd-3rd options. We were also lucky to produce a 2 in a club lifetime generation youth batch. Good luck buying Scholes, giggs and becks in this market with a limited budget

fergie still missed his transfer targets regularly aswell
Thankfully ole, Ronaldo, carrick & many of the others proved to be amazing alternatives to shearer, ronaldinho, essien or whoever (can’t remember the accurate details)
Good management & a youth structure is everything glad we have at least ETH and have not completely destroyed our youth structure yet

Come on Qatar, our wonderful new overlords. Pay off our debts and make us happy again.

I just can’t see them accepting the Qatar bid. Their greed knows no bounds, as we well know by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.