Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Keegan has been the mouthpiece for Qatar in this takeover, so he likely knows something or at least this info has been fed to him from Qatar.

Thanks for the info. So, it's either true or an attempt to discredit the option competing with Qatar.

I don't know, Occam's razor makes me think more of the latter option. If the Glazers can disinform, so do the bidders. Well, time will tell.

It gets complicated though as Ineos are clearly not looking to own 100% of the club at this stage, so it's hard to see why they would take all the debt on themselves.

Agreed. It’s definitely complicated. I can only assume they’d take it on based on the the idea they get repaid out of the proceeds of any future sale of the club (say in 10 years when its valued at £10bn).

But I can see why people are against any debt. If Jim Ratcliffe dies its very questionable whether INEOS would have any interest in doing this and whether they’d look to put the debt back on the club.

This is true in the current paradigm of FFP.

But with the threat of a European Super League competing with the Premier League for advertisers/TV money and a new football regulator coming in - raising the limits on owner funding is definitely a possibility.

If clubs were given permission to spend £800m a year based on revenues plus owner funding making up any short fall - we’d be £250m behind if our owners can’t/wont compete.

The prospect taking advantage of financial doping because it would somehow be suddenly allowed doesn't appeal to me either, sorry.

Anything is a win guys. Look at it like that. We'd have a much richer majority owner without being state owned, so even if the Glazers stay in some capacity, that would still be a win. The Glazers are shit for the club, being state owned is horrible from any morality and ethical POV, so avoiding that while someone else is majority owner is a good result, even if it's not the "most ideal". Will be a process to get to that point, not a big deal if it's not instant.

I'm sure the rat bros would love to stay but if you're a cashing-out Glazer rat, why would you accept the lower offer?

To keep the family happy? Doesn't sound very Glazery to me.

Yeah this is the other part that seems strange, if Qatar are offering 6bn for the shares or close to it, what's the incentive for the other 4 to take a much lower offer than 1bn each, or however it breaks down?

Well, apologies then. I'm also in the Ratcliffe camp, simply because I'd take anything over becoming a state-owned club. But in no way am I a "fan" of his.
You have nothing to apologise for. I don’t subscribe to the totalitarian ’one or the other’ with us or against us view of @Rado_N
True INEOS is my preference but I don’t rule out Jassim, if he truly is private. My objection is state ownership and that’s the most likely backer of a Qatari bid of this size. We simply don’t know enough

I don't see anything has changed. There are several bidders who want to make money out of United, just like the current owners, and one bidder that wants to put money in.

From a financial point of view it's a no-brainer.

Another thing here.

Qatar and other Arabs don't like being messed about. I mean no one does but these guys have feck you money.

I can see them losing United, getting pissed off and slapping down 4bn for Spuds or 5bn for the Arse and using the spare billions from not having to build a stadium to completely wreck United's prospects for CL or winning the league. Worst case scenario is 5bn for Liverpool and same as above.

Just only negatives if Jimmy Glazer wins by bending for the rats.

The prospect taking advantage of financial doping because it would somehow be suddenly allowed doesn't appeal to me either, sorry.

I think having a spending cap combined with allowing owners to help teams with smaller revenues catch up might be the fairest way of doing things if the owner contributions are properly audited.

But I completely get where you’re coming from in not wanting United to be tainted. Ten Hag is on the verge of building something if he gets the right backing. I would hate to see it written off as the result of financial doping.

Glazers and Ratcliffe would not be a surprise scenario and the Glazers would clearly feel that they could ride out the initial fan backlash before it obviously subsides.

Another thing here.

Qatar and other Arabs don't like being messed about. I mean no one does but these guys have feck you money.

I can see them losing United, getting pissed off and slapping down 4bn for Spuds or 5bn for the Arse and using the spare billions from not having to build a stadium to completely wreck United's prospects for CL or winning the league. Worst case scenario is 5bn for Liverpool and same as above.

Just only negatives if Jimmy Glazer wins by bending for the rats.
Surely a diehard fan like Jassim wouldn't do that to us? He'd have to change the name of the 92 Foundation for a start.

You have nothing to apologise for. I don’t subscribe to the totalitarian ’one or the other’ with us or against us view of @Rado_N
True INEOS is my preference but I don’t rule out Jassim, if he truly is private. My objection is state ownership and that’s the most likely backer of a Qatari bid of this size. We simply don’t know enough

Tbh, this seeks like an odd distinction, in the modern world you have companies like apple and amazon worth upwards of 2 trillion, certainly with resources to rival plenty of states, obviously not all. What's thr distinction there? Is It states where you don't agree with their policies? Is it states with over a certain amount of resources (because certainly there are some private companies with equivalent resources to some states). It just seems an odd line to draw, multi billion dollar company ok, multi billion dollar state not ok.

Really the issue should be that these states have been allowed to circumvent financial rules by the relevant authorities, not that they own the clubs

I think having a spending cap combined with allowing owners to help teams with smaller revenues catch up might be the fairest way of doing things if the owner contributions are properly audited.

But I completely get where you’re coming from in not wanting United to be tainted. Ten Hag is on the verge of building something if he gets the right backing. I would hate to see it written off as the result of financial doping.

He's also on the verge of things collapsing if he has to work with no striker for another year, along with a stronger Newcastle and likely more consistent Liverpool and Chelsea. The only issue for me is will a new owner clear the debt, invest in infrastructure and allow the club to put its revenues towards the team. Jassim seems more intent on this than Ratcliffe so that's my preference, but if Jim indicated he would clear the debt etc, then that would put him on the same level as them for me

Surely a diehard fan like Jassim wouldn't do that to us? He'd have to change the name of the 92 Foundation for a start.
Clever, are you part of the Blazing saddles bid for United?

The thing is, I've lost all hope about any audits after Saudi Arabia bought Newcastle without too much hassle.

Clever, are you part of the Blazing saddles bid for United?
No, I'm just not as sure this possibility is the disaster others seem to think given that literally no options are good. At least not to the point of writing fanfiction based on the square root of bugger all about what the Qataris might do if they don't buy United.

No, I'm just not as sure this possibility is the disaster others seem to think given that literally no options are good. At least not to the point of writing fanfiction based on the square root of bugger all about what the Qataris might do if they don't buy United.

An acquisition of Liverpool by Qatar would definitely prove that it wasn't a private bid from Jassim at all.

He's also on the verge of things collapsing if he has to work with no striker for another year, along with a stronger Newcastle and likely more consistent Liverpool and Chelsea. The only issue for me is will a new owner clear the debt, invest in infrastructure and allow the club to put its revenues towards the team. Jassim seems more intent on this than Ratcliffe so that's my preference, but if Jim indicated he would clear the debt etc, then that would put him on the same level as them for me

Completely agree. Stadium, infrastructure and debt are the priority and I’m not really fussed on which way it goes because either could be a disaster. It’s not like either has a great track record of running their current clubs well.

If both bids do the same thing, then I’d prefer Ratcliffe just because I don’t want to hear the accusations of financial doping from rival fans.

It's not fan fiction but speculation based on the fact they made an offer to buy Liverpool and there were rumours they might invest in Spuds.

People and others like you just show they cannot see further than their nose on these things if you think what I wrote is impossible

Is it better than the Glazers in control? Yes
Is it better than Elliot or Carlyle? Yes
Is it not better than the status quo?

Only If Jim clears the debt and eliminates dividends and invests in the stadium, if we just swap one owner who won't clear the debt that is hindering us for another then it's not really better, it's just emotive that the Glazers put us in this position and we want rid of them, but it won't necessarily be better

An acquisition of Liverpool by Qatar would definitely prove that it wasn't a private bid from Jassim at all.

Let's be honest we know it's impossible that this is a private bid from one individual. Qatar would just get another person who loves Liverpool in that case.

Completely agree. Stadium, infrastructure and debt are the priority and I’m not really fussed on which way it goes because either could be a disaster. It’s not like either has a great track record of running their current clubs well.

If both bids do the same thing, then I’d prefer Ratcliffe just because I don’t want to hear the accusations of financial doping from rival fans.
How big was the segment on financial doping for City before the game today?

Just what kind of pathetic thinking is this? United have always been hated for neither rhyme nor reason but suddenly we should care?

Tbf, I don't believe Jassim's bid is entirely separate from the Qatari state, I think that would be quite naive. But that doesn't mean if he buys us, it's the same people running us as psg. The money might come from the same place, but I fully believe the football people will be independent, its unlikely the emir of Qatar is going to take a hand in the day to day running, he'll almost certainly provide some funding, but the value is in having our brand associated with Qatar he's not actually going to be involved, it'll likely be up to jassim who to appoint and the like, even with state involvement

I don’t think anybody said this is the best option. Better is better, they’ll be out of control and out the door soon enough.
So why compare it to the status quo? It’s not Jim or nothing happens.
#Glazersout

How it started: Page 1 of this thread.

How it's going: Pages 1061 to 1065.

I think eventually this will all settle with Qataris probably winning the bid. Then the main questions will be:

A) Will they pay the debt?
B) Will they build a competitive squad?
C) Will they remodel Old Trafford?

I think these questions shall become more important than where does the money come from.

Status
Not open for further replies.