Club Sale | It’s done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pere Guardiola is a football agent who was involved in the transfers of Thiago Alcantara, Iniesta and Luis Suarez. He is shareholder of Sports Entertainment Group (SEG) who represent more than 600 clients in 25 countries. One of their clients happen to be ETH. So I presume that he can afford 44.3% of a second division club especially one who previously had financial issues. Their transfer budget had been quite mediocre. They spent 8.75m euros in 2017-2018, 10m the year after, 5.70m during 19/20, they relied on loans/free transfers the two years after that and they broke the bank this year with 15m euros. That's something a second tier football agent (the likes of Mino and Mendes being first tier agents) can afford to pitch his fair share in.

Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Abdullah Al Ahmed Al Thani's net worth is said to be 800m dollars. He is the second cousin of the previous emir. He bought Malaga for 34m euros. Considering the fees involved, the fact that QSI didn't bail Malaga out and their reluctance to buy the club (although there seems to be a shift to that) then its highly likely that this was a private investment.

Jassim on the other hand is worth around 1.1B. He already offered a fee of around 4.5b-5b for Manchester United. So while not official, its highly likely that Qatar Sovereign fund is involved
Thus its wiser to scrutinize PSG ownership rather then Malaga's

There's alot to be said about PSG ownership. Quite frankly I am more impressed with Abu Dhabi's then them. However there's no denying that they took a modest side and made it a top side. 8 out of their 10 league titles was won under Qatar ownership. Some claim that its a farmer's league. Let's not forget though that INEOS lead Nice has yet to qualify to the CL and is currently lingering at a ridiculous 10th place having just lost against the mighty Basel, Clemont Foot and Brest. Since you're obsessed with salary bills, Nice has a salary bill of €32,600,000
Basel has a yearly salary bill of €12,260,000, Clemont salary bill is €6,200,000 and Brest is €10,750,000. You'll be surprised though that the normal fans dont' care how much salary is being paid for high earners/elite players like Messi or Mbappe or in Nice FC case high earners/erm elite players? like Ramsay and Schmeichel. What they care is about trophies.

The CL still eludes them though. There again that's quite a tough nut to win. SAF won it just 2 times which sounds quite underwhelming but is not when you compare that to how many times many times all the clubs in London had won it COMBINED (ie 2). Milan has last won it in 2007, Juventus has last won it in 96, Ajax in 95 while City and Arsenal has never won it.

Returning on INEOS. The structure is pretty centralised with all teams in INEOS group sharing the same head of football ie the very experienced Bob Ratcliffe (no prior experience in football), Sir Dave Brailsford and now Jean Claude Blanc. Ratcliffe himself had linked all clubs together in an interview he did when he bought Nice. In fact he said “We made some mistakes at Lausanne, but we are fast learners, these have been rectified and we are already seeing the benefits. Clubs need to be successful off the pitch, as well as on it, and OGC Nice will be no different, as we look to take the club from strength to strength in all aspects over the coming years.” The problem with that quote is that they aren't fast learners, they are still making plenty of mistakes at Nice and Lausanne and quite frankly they are still tanking in both.

On the other hand their wage bill is 'sustainable' (Ramsay is paid as much as Osimhen and far more then Khvicha Kvaratskhelia) so maybe they can celebrate that instead of trophies.

Listen mate I'm not reading all that, try to condense your points.

So to recap City group are a major shareholder in Girona.

Ineos and Qatar have shown they don't know much about football and aren't great at running football clubs. PSG being a prime example of that.

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Well considering I have not suggested that then….

Umm...

Its a bit of a silly point. The owners plans and goals for those clubs were not the same and you have to judge the success vs the goals.

What we know is that INEOS have 2 clubs and are failing to meet their goals on both. Which tells you they cannot be viewed as good/successful club owners.

Thats not to say they wouldn’t be a success at United but it gives you an indication that there is a good chance they won’t be.

Maybe but not nearly as silly as suggesting the fortunes of some Swiss club is a good indicator of how well United would do under different ownership.

How INEOS has done with the clubs they own is relevant to how United may fair under INEOS ownership.

Well sort of but not really, it's about as relevant as how well or more precisely how poorly PSG have been run. They are different sized clubs in entirely different countries/leagues.

Umm...

Well sort of but not really, it's about as relevant as how well or more precisely how poorly PSG have been run. They are different sized clubs in entirely different countries/leagues.

Under INEOS ownership != under different ownership

INEOS’s other clubs gives some indication as to their competence. If you believe that not to true thats on you.

Under INEOS ownership != under different ownership

INEOS’s other clubs gives some indication as to their competence. If you believe that not to true thats on you.

It gives you some indication as to their current competence in running small French and Swiss clubs. But despite their PR promises who knows if they're really committed to investing the required amounts to push those teams up their respective leagues.

But to suggest how they run one club is a good indicator of how well Ineos or Qatar for that matter would run United. Is as I've said a silly suggestion. In my opinion.

But you are entitled to hold that opinion mate. You might well think Ineos would be terrible and no doubt that Qatar will be amazing owners. Personally I have reservations about both of them.

It gives you some indication as to their current competence in running small French and Swiss clubs. But despite their PR promises who knows if they're really committed to investing the required amounts to push those teams up their respective leagues.

But to suggest how they run one club is a good indicator of how well Ineos or Qatar for that matter would run United. Is as I've said a silly suggestion. In my opinion.

But you are entitled to hold that opinion mate. You might well think Ineos would be terrible and no doubt that Qatar will be amazing owners. Personally I have reservations about both of them.

1. I have made zero suggestions as to how they would run United.

I also haven’t said anything about Qatar in the conversation.

Only an idiot wouldn’t have reservations about any new owner.

Let me get this right though. What you’re saying is INEOS either was not competent enough to run those clubs or they are but had no intentions of doing what they said they would do when they bought said clubs.

And you think its silly for me or anyone to pull these up as massive red flags because these are 2 small clubs in France and Switzerland…

And because United is a big club it bears zero relevance…

Right ok.

1. I have made zero suggestions as to how they would run United.

Thats not to say they wouldn’t be a success at United but it gives you an indication that there is a good chance they won’t be.

I am genuinely starting to wonder if there's two people posting on your account.

I also haven’t said anything about Qatar in the conversation.

Only an idiot wouldn’t have reservations about any new owner.

There's plenty of them on here in that case.

Let me get this right though. What you’re saying is INEOS either was not competent enough to run those clubs or they are but had no intentions of doing what they said they would do when they bought said clubs.

And you think its silly for me or anyone to pull these up as massive red flags because these are 2 small clubs in France and Switzerland…

And because United is a big club it bears zero relevance…

Right ok.

Yes it is a bit silly.

Listen mate I'm not reading all that, try to condense your points.

So to recap City group are a major shareholder in Girona.

Ineos and Qatar have shown they don't know much about football and aren't great at running football clubs. PSG being a prime example of that.

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Qatar has made mistakes in their management. Some was indeed necessary. For example spending silly money on salaries is the only way to attract top players in an unknown league. However other mistakes were indeed avoidable. For example the relationship the top brass has with its players is indeed unhealthy. There again they did put PSG on the map and had dominated the French league, a league INEOS Nice had struggled massively in.

There's also the argument on whether those owning PSG will be owning us. Financial wise it points to that but there's no definite proof that it would be the case. The pyramid of power is not defined either so even if the Emir had to come out today saying that he'll be buying United we still wouldn't know if the same people managing PSG will be managing United. The same thing can't be said about INEOS whose got a well structured system in place at top level. Guys like Brailsford and Blanc who had/will have a big say in the running of Nice and Lausanne were the football side of INEOS delegation who came to visit OT. God knows why a cyclist guy with a dubious reputation is being involved in the acquisition of football juggernaut like United. There again, these things do happen with INEOS and might give an idea as of why they are so shit in football

Regarding money INEOS did invest in NICE. Its not enough to compete with PSG but its certainly more then what you expect from a 10th placed club who seem on a free fall. The trouble with NICE is mismanagement. For example football relics like Ramsay, Pepe and Schneiderlin are among their high earners with Ramsay being paid more/equal to the likes of Osimhen, Min Jae Kim and Khvicha Kvaratskhelia. Small clubs have small budgets and giving such a salary to a relic of football who was a bit of a meme at Juventus is silly. That doesn't bide well with United were salaries are already at the roof and were we tend to attract way bigger fish then Nice FC does (agents etc). The same seem to happen at Lausanne were a man whose only football experience is that of originating from the same ball sack Sir Jim came out from was allowed to play football manager there. Bob Ratcliffe was eventually removed from the role but was given a kick upstairs rather then a kick out. Which means that he would probably have a say in how United will be run.

The Glazers not exactly behaving as if they're about to enter into an exclusivity period with a preferred full sale bidder, are they?

Yes they are, the upcoming third round of bids trumps your desperate attempt to spin transfer speculation into insight into the Glazers secret intentions.

Nope. Deadline is Friday, so I don't see much news until then.

I actually thought it was today for some reason.

Is this the deadline for the third round of bidding?

Do we know what the deadline for the fourth round of bidding is yet?

Nope. Deadline is Friday, so I don't see much news until then.

I actually thought it was today for some reason.

This is the deadline for when the Glazers ask for more money?

Basically they're waiting for the take it or leave it moment from INEOS and Qatar. Qatar should just pay INEOS to fek off.

Is this the deadline for the third round of bidding?

Do we know what the deadline for the fourth round of bidding is yet?

Haha. And after friday not all bids will be in, the deadline is broken and some will say there never was a real deadline. Never ending story…….

Haha. And after friday not all bids will be in, the deadline is broken and some will say there never was a real deadline. Never ending story…….

Nope.

If the Qatari or INEOS bids are not accepted after the final round on Friday, the Glazers will press ahead with plans for minority investment and the whole process will come to an end. This is of course what is 90% likely to happen and has been for some time.

Nope.

If the Qatari or INEOS bids are not accepted after the final round on Friday, the Glazers will press ahead with plans for minority investment and the whole process will come to an end. This is of course what is 90% likely to happen and has been for some time.

This of course is a percentage you’ve plucked out your arse.

Nope.

Where you got that percentage from?
If they can get the minority investment they wanted why are they bothering with another round of bids for a full takeover

Why would they and why would INEOS accept?
What a silly remark!

It's actually perfectly logical, so try thinking first?

The Glazers are using an auction between two bidders to push up the price. One bidder is most likely to win because they have the most money and want the club more. The other bidder probably knows this by now. We don't know which is which, though we have a pretty good idea.

Rather than push the price up by 2 billion, it would make sense for both bidders if the stronger party gave the other one billion to stop raising their offer, as both parties would then be up by one billion at the Glazers' expense. The only question is which one. If they got together and worked out who was the one prepared to bid the most then that information could easily be obtained (clue: it's the Qataris.)

Last edited:
What’s the chances we reach Friday and nothing happens? Fridays news ends up being last weeks news.

Nope.

In my humble opinion this is something the Glazers invented to create the illusion of more competition.

It's actually perfectly logical, so try thinking first?

The Glazers are using an auction between two bidders to push up the price. One bidder is most likely to win because they have the most money and want the club more. The other bidder probably knows this by now. We don't know which is which, though we have a pretty good idea.

Rather than push the price up by 2 billion, it would make sense for both bidders if the stronger party gave the other one billion to stop raising their offer, as both parties would then be up by one billion at the Glazers' expense. The only question is which one. If they got together and worked out who was the one prepared to bid the most then that information could easily be obtained (clue: it's the Qataris.)
It’s not logical at all, thanks for patronising me though.

Crazy rich people aren’t generally in the habit of throwing away money, (they wouldn’t be rich for long) and I doubt Sir Jim is willing to roll over and let Qatar tickle his tummy. He strikes me as more competitive than that.

It’s not logical at all, thanks for patronising me though.

Crazy rich people aren’t generally in the habit of throwing away money, (they wouldn’t be rich for long) and I doubt Sir Jim is willing to roll over and let Qatar tickle his tummy. He strikes me as more competitive than that.

Playing by the game theory rules set by the Glazers would be precisely throwing away money. If the two parties could agree a reliable discreet mechanism for ascertaining their maxium bids then they would save a lot. It's not that hard since everyone knows the Qatari maximum bid will be higher.

What’s the chances we reach Friday and nothing happens? Fridays news ends up being last weeks news.

That's what probably going to happen. Raine/the Glazers will need time to scrutinise the offers and there's a chance that the buyers will ask for another extension

That's what probably going to happen. Raine/the Glazers will need time to scrutinise the offers and there's a chance that the buyers will ask for another extension

This time around the buyers have had a long time post due diligence. And this is also the second time they would have done the due diligence.
So don't think the buyers would ask for an extension.

After the bid, the Raine group should take a couple of weeks to identify the strongest bid before they give their opinion to the Glazers.

This will move slowly, if the glazers are selling. Would be surprised if any real concrete news on final buyer coming out before last week of May.

Status
Not open for further replies.