Club Ownership | INEOS responsible for the football side

Status
Not open for further replies.
We can’t exactly operate without a CEO, DOF, Technical director or recruitment chief. They’re all important roles.

Berrada on the commercial side. Ashworth will be chief of sporting side. Wilcox will likely focus on the first team strategy. Vivell will focus on recruitment.

Blanc doesn’t need to be discussed all that much because he is CEO of INEOS Sport, so his time will be split between 3 clubs.

One wishes though that by now there would be some sense of things working differently than before, somehow. But here we are, having just put a DoF in place and began looking for a head of recruitment on the day the transfer window opens. Both of which were announced on the first day of the new financial year, so it makes sense from that perspective at least.

Meanwhile, we're chasing two Dutch players. One of whom we are reportedly surprised that Bayern is prepared to let go and at such a reasonable price, and the other of whom is evidently behind Wout Weghorst in the Netherlands pecking order. And neither of whom has yet featured for Netherlands at the Euros. As well as adding two new assistants, one of whom is Dutch and the other Dutch and a former United great.

I'm not saying these are bad signings necessarily, just that whatever INEOSland is going to look like, we don't seem to be living in it yet.

There is a new interesting article from Mark Critchley and Laurie Whitwell with and interview and info from Lynden Tomlinson
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5539692/2024/07/03/dan-ashworth-manchester-united-recruitment/

Interesting details about Musiala, Caicedo, Sesko, Neto etc.

One part about Stefan Bajcetic was really the cherry on the top of incompetence. We agreed 250k transfer, but our negotiations manager Sam Barnett (appointed by Judge) decided to ring his dad who is an ex-player of Celta and current employee to try and persuade him to pull the kid from the club and save 150k :lol:.
Now the kid is in Liverpool and highly rated.

This is the kind of stuff I expect INEOS to fix immediately.

Last edited:
There is a new interesting article from Mark Critchley and Laurie Whitwell with and interview and info from Lynden Tomlinson
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5539692/2024/07/03/dan-ashworth-manchester-united-recruitment/

One part about Stefan Bajcetic was really the cherry on the top of incompetence. We agreed 250k transfer, but our negotiations manager Sam Barnett (appointed by Judge) decided to ring his dad who is an ex-player of Celta and current employee to try and persuade him to pull the kid from the club and save 150k :lol:.

Like I've said previously the scouting network has been strong since 2017, just a pity we're slow to move on deals hence we missed out on Sesko for €2m because Judge I assume was under orders from Joe Glazer not to go higher.

The issue isn't the football people at the club but rather the owners. Joe Glazer himself was reading scout reports per the article above, so I'm not sure what was going on exactly but like I've said before the biggest change comes in the form of a new ownership group. It doesn't matter how good your football people are if there isn't the drive to succeed from the very top.

Last edited:
Add another story to our transfer failures

Great to hear

Sanction crazy amounts on utter flops but refuse to pay a few hundred thousand on players like this. It just doesn't make any sense. These are such low risk insanely high reward transfers.

I hope we find a way to be able to loan players to Nice, that way we can sign up as many talented younsters as possible and get them regular first team football. If just one of them makes it, we'd make back all our money and then some.

Another 1 that made me so mad

“I think it’s just being decisive and getting things over the line, that was always the problem,” says Lyndon Tomlinson,
who was United’s assistant head of academy recruitment between 2017 and 2021.
“In terms of the scouting, the structure and system we had — look at Garnacho — was good.

The reports were there, the process was there. We were just being let down at the end of it.
“That’s why I left, ultimately. I was getting frustrated that we were doing reports, I was travelling here, there and everywhere, (and) studying lots of video during Covid.
We were making recommendations and then there was just nothing really happening.”

I mentioned this last year about some scouts leaving because their recommendations were falling on deaf ears. The big problem here are the Glazers and this is where Ratcliffe can make a positive difference.

I still can't fathom why scout reports were being delivered to Joel Glazer on Mondays.

Hopefully we'll see more of the deals being done. I think Sir Jim is looking for those deals. You look at the squad Potter had at Brighton for almost nothing.

Perfect example of how people who don’t know and don’t want to know anything about football have been running the club.

I can see them saying ‘Yeah these young centreback’s stats look good but why spend money on it when we‘ve got Phil Jones. I think we can get similar performances out of him so it’s a no from me’

I'm really liking the moves INEOS are making.

It's what I've been telling everyone, give them a chance and hopefully they will deliver.

Ruthless work. Exactly the way the CAF has cried out for.
I'm all for it but they said they're going to reinvest it into the playing squad, now if that's to pay players extortionate wages at the cost of 250 people losing their ability to put food on the table for their kids, I'm not favour of it.

Football aside, I feel really bad for those who will be losing their jobs.

They’ll have mortgages and bills to pay, family to feed etc. It’ll feel like the rug has been pulled from underneath them.

Yes we probably need to streamline staff but can’t help feeling 100s of people will now have to suffer just to pay for 1 years wages of an average squad player. It’s always the people at the bottom that pay the cost.

They’ll have mortgages and bills to pay, family to feed etc. It’ll feel like the rug has been pulled from underneath them.

Yes we probably need to streamline staff but can’t help feeling 100s of people will now have to suffer just to pay for 1 years wages of an average squad player. It’s always the people at the bottom that pay the cost.

But to counter this its the players which bring in the fans and the money to the club which ultimately pays these staff members.

To progress difficult choices have to be made and I have no doubt INEOS will be looking to pay less towards and on players too over time.

True, but apparently we also have staff working from home that are simply refusing to return to the office. We need to cut the dead weight in all departments. High player wages will get culled too, but that'll take a bit more time.

But to counter this its the players which bring in the fans and the money to the club which ultimately pays these staff members.

To progress difficult choices have to be made and I have no doubt INEOS will be looking to pay less towards and on players too over time.
Players at other clubs are doing the same whilst getting paid a fraction of what our bunch do. So why not worry about player wages, which are exponentially bigger than firing dave from the communications department who's on 30k per year? If INEOS are serious about cost saving, start with the people who make up over 90% of our wage costs.

True, but apparently we also have staff working from home that are simply refusing to return to the office. We need to cut the dead weight in all departments. High player wages will get culled too, but that'll take a bit more time.
Why should they come back to the office full time? Why not offer hybrid? If we can show the likes of Sancho enough compassion to send him out to train alone for months whilst he's on over 350k per week, why isn't that extended to people who probably have kids, who maybe working from home because child care costs are unaffordable to the average person? Why is a multimillionaire footballer getting all this understanding and compassion but the average worker who's family depends on their salary, isn't?

I highly doubt it's 250 managers that are getting culled. If we assume an average salary of 50k a year, then by firing 250 people we will be able to save enough money for the new Antony in only six years. On put another way, the yearly salaries of those 250 people would almost cover Sancho's wages, or less than two thirds of what Casemiro makes. Feck the community.

On a serious note, I understand that cost cutting is a thing, especially when a company has new owners, but you would think a club size of United, with a global fanbase in hundreds of millions, wouldn't really need to lay off their staff to help finance the first team.

Shit news for those involved in losing their jobs. Im sure the majority of them wont see it as for the good of the club.

Expected something like this so not surprised looking at the numbers of the workforce in comparison to other clubs.

I highly doubt it's 250 managers that are getting culled. If we assume an average salary of 50k a year, then by firing 250 people we will be able to save enough money for the new Antony in only six years. On put another way, the yearly salaries of those 250 people would almost cover Sancho's wages, or less than two thirds of what Casemiro makes. Feck the community.

On a serious note, I understand that cost cutting is a thing, especially when a company has new owners, but you would think a club size of United, with a global fanbase in hundreds of millions, wouldn't really need to lay off their staff to help finance the first team.

At least 11 years of mismanagement post SAF and Gill is the most likely cause of this.

I read we have twice the amount of staff City do, so makes sense.
And Liverpool.

It's obviously shitty people are losing their jobs but it's something they have to do. We became a bloated club under the Glazers and Woodward.

Shit news for those involved in losing their jobs. Im sure the majority of them wont see it as for the good of the club.

Expected something like this so not surprised looking at the numbers of the workforce in comparison to other clubs.
How do we compare to other clubs? If we're at 1,100 employees, do you know the numbers for Arsenal, Pool or Madrid?

Because they have been asked to return to their place of work.
I understand that but again why not show some understanding to their personal circumstances? Jadon Sancho was contracted to play every week, whilst getting paid millions but somehow the club was able to show understanding of his supposed issues, why is that extended to overpaid lazy cnuts like him but not to the average worker?

I read we have twice the amount of staff City do, so makes sense.
And yet they account for less than 10% of our overall wage bill. If the club is serious about making cuts that will make an actual difference, why not start with the players? The very players who have been grossly overpaid and have grossly underperformed?

Might be more than salary per head saved if you factor in benefits/bonuses/perks etc. that may have to be paid automatically.

Someone I know was made redundant and in addition to their salary, they were automatically due every year extras of up to 3000/4000 euro more.

Also not sure about UK law but doesnt making a certain number of staff redundant give tax breaks of some sort?

I understand that but again why not show some understanding to their personal circumstances? Jadon Sancho was contracted to play every week, whilst getting paid millions but somehow the club was able to show understanding of his supposed issues, why is that extended to overpaid lazy cnuts like him but not to the average worker?
I'm with you 100% but the cynical answer would be that Sancho is a multimillion pounds asset and the organisation did all their could to maintain his value. This unfortunately doesn't extend to the average worker

I'm with you 100% but the cynical answer would be that Sancho is a multimillion pounds asset and the organisation did all their could to maintain his value. This unfortunately doesn't extend to the average worker
You could argue that having him not play football and allowing him to piss around on a glorified holiday isn't the way to maintain value at all. This sort of stuff makes my blood boil, there's some kid out there who's parent isn't going to be able to pay their mortgage.

The workforce is obviously massively bloated. It’s fecking shite for the people losing their jobs but it should’ve never been allowed to get to this point. The blame for this can be laid at Woodward and the Glazers door, yet again!

The workforce is obviously massively bloated. It’s fecking shite for the people losing their jobs but it should’ve never been allowed to get to this point. The blame for this can be laid at Woodward and the Glazers door, yet again!
Agreed but start with the millionaires and their salaries before you get to the people at the very bottom of the ladder. If we manage to cut their salaries down, we wouldn't need to make these people jobless in the first place.

Quite a lot of these people having United on their CV will probably go and work for smaller clubs within the vicinity. It is fair to say as an organisation we are bloated and rudderless. Things needed to change across the board. I hope they are as ruthless with the players

Status
Not open for further replies.