City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

Yeah, my point is that it is City’s responsibility to disclose this, not Mancini. I am not sure though.
It’s why I said even if City were paying players under the sofa, I don’t think the players have broken any rules.
If City are/were paying players under the sofa and the players did not disclose this to the tax man then they definitely have broken the rules, in fact if they players have reported their income fully then it should be a simple matter of cross-checking for the authorities

If City are/were paying players under the sofa and the players did not disclose this to the tax man then they definitely have broken the rules, in fact if they players have reported their income fully then it should be a simple matter of cross-checking for the authorities
Tax man is different from EPL. City have no problems with HMRS.

This is the thing. With all their advantages they would have still been very successful and won leagues and cup had they not gone overboard.

This is the issue with their owner and his board. They come from a place where they make the rules and they don't really have to answer to anyone. Corruption is just part and parcel of their world so it's hardly a surprise they did this.

People who want Qatar at this club....don't be shocked if we are dragged into the odd scandal too if they win the auction. They did afterall bribe their way to host a world cup. Nothing about that bid was fair and legitimate.
Fully agree there.
I really hope they are proven guilty and severely punished for the sake of the game.

Isn't it famous that he wasn't great pre the drugs?

A lot of people seem to think doping takes someone average to the best in the world.

In reality, you get scenarios like Ben Johnson - already Olympic level, but the doping took him to the gold, instead of just the final.

It's not completely bizzare. As writers from the Guardian and the Athletic put it, the contrast between City and Chelsea (can swap out Chelsea for United) rubbish any suggestions City's current status is solely due to money spent, or the very concept of "financial doping".

That of course isn't an excuse for City allegedly breaking (stupid) rules they agreed to abide by and if found guilty they can't complain if the book is thrown at them.
They're good rules. But time and time again, you've proven to not understand what FFP's purpose is (or, more exactly, post like an edgy teenager and pretend like it's to keep the big boys in place) or what sportswashing is. But I'm sure you'll be back on a regular basis to make silly posts about the whole thing.

Clearly, the weasel Lawyers at City are trying to stretch this out as long as they can to invoke some time out clause as they did with UEFA. The latest effort is to complain that the Premier Leagues Barrister is an Arsenal fan and therefore biased. Well, as he is prosecuting the charges, of course he's biased. City didn't complain when Sir Richard Leese smoothed their path to buying up land around the Emptyhad, he is a season ticket holder at City. I wonder if the VAR guy that thought that Rodri didn't handle the ball at Everton was checked out. I know Evertonians who say his family were all City fans. Probably apocryphal, but you never know.

People believing that Haaland only cost City 60m is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen. It's also probably closer to half a billion rather than 300m.
I'm all for bashing City, but that would mean Haaland is on at least £1.1m a week.

And his transfer fee (minus agents costs) is almost certainly accurate as Dortmund have zero incentive to implicate themselves in any fraud. City's charges are about paying their employees through other means (something much easier to do with a Manager than with players) and lying about the source of their funding (fake and/or inflated sponsorships).

Once again, I'm no City fan. They've more than likely just cheated us out of a league title.

They're good rules. But time and time again, you've proven to not understand what FFP's purpose is (or, more exactly, post like an edgy teenager and pretend like it's to keep the big boys in place) or what sportswashing is. But I'm sure you'll be back on a regular basis to make silly posts about the whole thing.

Who are you exactly?

Maybe not at present, but if the PL prove that City have been paying players or whomever under the table and those payments have not been declared for tax purposes then they will be

Clearly, the weasel Lawyers at City are trying to stretch this out as long as they can to invoke some time out clause as they did with UEFA. The latest effort is to complain that the Premier Leagues Barrister is an Arsenal fan and therefore biased. Well, as he is prosecuting the charges, of course he's biased. City didn't complain when Sir Richard Leese smoothed their path to buying up land around the Emptyhad, he is a season ticket holder at City. I wonder if the VAR guy that thought that Rodri didn't handle the ball at Everton was checked out. I know Evertonians who say his family were all City fans. Probably apocryphal, but you never know.

Why are City trying to drag it out or block when they claim to have evidence they proves their evidence, surely if this evidence exists then they would want the charges dealt with a soon as possible.

From the way City are messing around using every tactic to delay this it seems clear that they have something to hide.

A lot of people seem to think doping takes someone average to the best in the world.

In reality, you get scenarios like Ben Johnson - already Olympic level, but the doping took him to the gold, instead of just the final.
No, I know that, he was a good cyclist.

You could also argue that Ben Johnson wouldn't have gotten to the the Olympics, never mind the final, if hadn't been doped up

Yeah, my point is that it is City’s responsibility to disclose this, not Mancini. I am not sure though.
It’s why I said even if City were paying players under the sofa, I don’t think the players have broken any rules.
Possibly not breaking rules themselves, but ethically it's poor should they be getting supplement wages in this fashion and are knowledgeable about it.

HMRCs interest would be over whether City or City Group had declared any off the books payments and whether tax was due on those payments, should the Premier League be successful in its case against them.

Also, those worried nothing will happen. The League desperately wants to avoid an independent regulator coming in so it is in its interests to deal with this and demonstrate it can regulate itself.

You make it sound like Maguire was more expensive than Haaland... Haaland's cost (over a 5 years period) is about 300M. While Maguire cost will be less than half that (130 if we go by the reports 80 + 10M/y salary). And it is not far-fetched to think Haaland and his father might have some "consultancy fees" paid for by Abu Dhabi in the Caiman Islands or the likes...

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...nd-and-the-300m-question-how-much-is-too-much

PS: I know Maguire's contract is an abomination, and we should never have spent so much money on him. But still it wouldn't have been enough to finance the Haaland move.

I was solely focusing on reported transfer fees.

but yea the way you put it is far worse:lol:

Yet. They will be watching the PL case with interest. If they get wind that City have been paying players off the books and there is tax owed on those payments, it doesn't matter if the PL case falls apart on some technicality. HMRC will assess they owe tax and it will be on City to prove they don't. You are guilty until proven innocent when it comes to HMRC.

As for kits, young football fans seem to support players rather than clubs so I think City and other clubs will find it more difficult to increase global support in the same way United, Liverpool, Madrid and Barcelona have done.

I'm all for bashing City, but that would mean Haaland is on at least £1.1m a week.

And his transfer fee (minus agents costs) is almost certainly accurate as Dortmund have zero incentive to implicate themselves in any fraud. City's charges are about paying their employees through other means (something much easier to do with a Manager than with players) and lying about the source of their funding (fake and/or inflated sponsorships).

Once again, I'm no City fan. They've more than likely just cheated us out of a league title.
Didn't they pay Halaand 20M as a signing bonus and his dad/agency 20/30M too ? That would'nt be that far to 1m a week once everyone dipped their hand in the pot. Who's to say it won't happen again when/if he renew or they try to remove his release clause.

I don't think anything will happen with the 115 charges.

The whole world knew City was cheating and the power that be refused to do anything.

City has been reporting their annual revenue for years almost the same with Man Utd or higher when they have much lower fan base. Who are they trying to fool? Idiots in the FA/Premier League? I think they are smarter than that. They just choose to look away or brown envelopes do the trick.

The people in FA/Premier League cannot now go back to own up their mistakes for the past decades.

Moan Moan Moan. FFP breaches doesnt even matter, in fact the whole FFP system might even be illegal. They havent broken any rules by law or nor are they under any allegations for fraud or tax fraud from any government.

Do we want them to be ? Yes sure, feck them. But this is just getting silly.

We've spent just as much as them, but we end up with Sancho, De Beek or Maguire instead
Why cant a player score with his hand? He is after all not breaking "the law".

Shout-out to @SER19 and @InfiniteBoredom (and a few others I've missed) for being consistent on this topic for months/years. The rest of y'all are just bitches who cared about this topic the moment it became apparent City may actually win a treble, because I remember people actively rooting for City to prevent Liverpool from winning, because "their wins mean nothing". Now they do? :lol:

Likewise. As much as I'd hate to see Liverpool equal or surpass our title record I cant understand people who'd sooner see City win anything. If their consistent winning means 'nothing' then any record means nothing too. We're too far gone now, it should have been dealt with early on, and football is irreversibly damaged as a result. The title 'celebrations' were a travesty and a million miles from scenes like Bocelli singing in Leicester. Performative excitement, Man City and their fans are the Instagram of football. Even if we manage to return to competitiveness we'll be returning to a very different top level, that simply means less than it used to.

Didn't they pay Halaand 20M as a signing bonus and his dad/agency 20/30M too ? That would'nt be that far to 1m a week once everyone dipped their hand in the pot. Who's to say it won't happen again when/if he renew or they try to remove his release clause.
No, I'm saying that for the Haaland deal to be closer to half billion than £300m (so over £400m) his wage would have to be £1.1m on top of the transfer / agent fees / signing-on fees. City are almost certainly cooking the books, there's no need to go to crazy numbers with the accusations is all I'm saying.

After all, let say Haaland was on "only £350k" a week. That's still over £100m over the course of his contract to break records, win a draw full of medals and work with Pep. Would it really be that outlandish for him to accept that offer.

No, I'm saying that for the Haaland deal to be closer to half billion than £300m (so over £400m) his wage would have to be £1.1m on top of the transfer / agent fees / signing-on fees. City are almost certainly cooking the books, there's no need to go to crazy numbers with the accusations is all I'm saying.

After all, let say Haaland was on "only £350k" a week. That's still over £100m over the course of his contract to break records, win a draw full of medals and work with Pep. Would it really be that outlandish for him to accept that offer.
Apparently he gets 865k per week because he has stupidly easy bonuses to reach to trigger more and more money.

People believing that Haaland only cost City 60m is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen. It's also probably closer to half a billion rather than 300m.
60m pounds to break his contract. 60m pounds between his dad and his agent. 120m pounds plus 50m yearly salar for 5 years put him up 370m pounds, add to that the payments being made in Abu Dhabi.

What? it is even worse than what they break footballing wise. Its receiving money in another country (UAE) not declared in the country you work in (UK). It is jail time tax evasion.

Satire?
They're facing 115 charges for exactly breaking rules :lol:
Are you sure about that?

Breaking what laws and what kind of fraud are they being investigated for? FFP yes, that ain't the law. In which country are they under investigation? And which player/staff is under investigation?

None. It's all FFP breaches.. and that doesn't really matter as CAS is not sure FFP is even legal

Even if they don't agree with the FFP system they have to follow the rules the same as every other club in the league.
If the allegations are true about not declaring all the wages for staff and players then yes they should be under investigation for tax fraud, just look at the leaked information about Mancini's contract

They are not under investigation for that. And I'm pretty sure it's been looked into. Tax fraud is high on the agenda from the authorities. And no, they don't have to follow FFP, who is going to punish them? FA? FIFA?

Above them, CAS, has said they are not sure the FFP system is legal.

They are not under investigation for that. And I'm pretty sure it's been looked into. Tax fraud is high on the agenda from the authorities. And no, they don't have to follow FFP, who is going to punish them? FA? FIFA?

Above them, CAS, has said they are not sure the FFP system is legal.
They "don't have to follow FFP" in the same way as the Premier League don't have to have them as a member.

More importantly, it's perfectly legal to decide the rules of the sporting competition that you run. One of those rules is FFP. Another is that CAS cannot be called in to arbitrate in cases between the Premier League and one of it's member clubs. CAS is not "above" the Premier League in that sense. Or any sense, really.

As I mentioned in the post you are replying to, Manchester City's transfer fees and wages for this season are not contained within the 115 FFP charges, given those charges relate to the period between 2009-2018.
Yes, so there are likely more charges to come.

Also 2009-2018 are key foundational years, nearly a decade. are you trying to argue that cheating for 9 years is OK if that builds you a team to win for 5-10 years after you stop cheating? Weird argument if so.

This thread is kinda pathetic tbh. why are we complainin? We’ve spent way more money than City the past 7 years. Fact is they have a better infrastructure than we do.

sanctioning city will not magically make our club be managed better.
It isn't about United. This level of cheating from City is bigger than any one individual club.

Also they've hidden alot of their payments so it is highly unlikely United have spent more than them over the last 7 years.

Also 2009-2018 are key foundational years, nearly a decade. are you trying to argue that cheating for 9 years is OK if that builds you a team to win for 5-10 years after you stop cheating? Weird argument if so.
Yep, it’s only up until 2018 because City won’t release any more details

Theres charges for 2019 to present too for not cooperating and not giving an accurate picture of their finances. It doesn't even work on that level

I’m convinced that City have taken out a super injunction to block any mainstream media.
Otherwise, why is it all so quiet?
I fear that it’s going to drag on for years.
May be there was a little bit more today on Radio so maybe it could gather some pace, guy was talking about how The likes of Birmingham , Juventus etc were docked points, and a fine is pointless as it's probably In there business model to break the rules and pay a fine.

Interesting point, I live in Norway and the information relating to how much someone earns is very public. I’m not sure how easy it is to hide either if he ever plans on living in Norway as they are extremely strict on foreign earnings with prison as a punishment for wrongly reporting. Carew nearly went to prison over lying about his earnings while playing overseas.