City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

As a trained law consultant with Calciopoli having been the golden case study all along the degree years for what NOT to do while things like this emerge, I can tell you all a couple of things:

1) the “quick” sporting justice conclusions / recommendations / deliberations, based upon the herd rage or “sentimento popolare” asking for integrity, fairnes, etc. etc., will much probably NOT stand in ordinary courts in the coming years. First Calciopoli surprise: ALL the people destroyed by the 2006 FIGC integrity committee led by Guido Rossi, former Inter board member (who immediately declared he was installed to protect the “onesti” aka the “honest”), were then cleared and acquitted one after one, even Moggi The Devil himself in 2015: https://www.goal.com/en/news/ex-juventus-chief-moggi-a-free-man-following-final/bltab9f23c94ca3c73d … “Moggi was cleared of all these offences”);

2) The “onesti” teams Inter/Milan were proved in ordinary courts to be doing the exact same, legal practices (Facchetti for Inter, Meani for Milan), nonethless Inter was awarded the infamous “scudetto di cartone” by their own former Guido Rossi (the one scudetto Mourinho detested as their own coach because “not won on the pitch but in the office”) and PM Berlusconi’s Milan got an enough lenient punishment to carry on and win the Champions League in the following year 2007.

3) Italian football entered a decline as a whole, also as an international force because of the stain, until becoming the mess it is now with even a new Calciopoli in 2023 now led by Napoli and Neapolitans prosecutors/judges, which will further halve the value of Italian football and probably destroy the most important team for good (which was and still is the main intent from the beginning, in spite of all the claims about integrity, fairness, etc.).

Now, for what I see with a trained law consultant eye from my shores, it is being City thrown under the bus by the FA / PL to protect themselves by the scrutiny of your Government… which usually does not bode well for the subject trying to protect themselves because the offended parties will defend themselves in the ordinary courts and much more would probably emerge, involving many other clubs.

What is the prospective solution for football, when local clubs outgrow their local leagues, is the main question for integrity, fairness, etc. …… other sports did with creating different, private leagues (most recently, the basket EuroLeague) in order to have the big boys fighting themselves without restraint, leaving or not their local leagues.
A trained law consultant, trained twice?

How anyone can read those emails and not come to the conclusion that City are fecked is beyond me.

This will be a huge points deduction resulting in them dropping down a league minimum
Yeah I can't believe people are still trying to defend them, watched a video yesterday with an Arsenal fan saying its wrong and owners should be able to spend whatever they want even if it puts the club at risk because its not sustainable

Words are incapable of capturing the look on my face, i have no idea what you're talking about

No smart company is getting fooled by Etihad sponsored in City in 2008. They were small, then

Now, they are recent champions of the most popular league in the world, watched by billions of people. Their games are high profile. But they'd have trouble attracting sponsors now?

Plus, sponsorships are done not for charity purposes, but for return on investment due to exposure - marketing - increased sales. If Samsung tested the waters in 2009 and saw no ROI due to City having no fans, they exit the deal. I'd love to see a sponsor sue on the basis of "Etihad sponsored them, we thought it was cool"

If City falsified financial documents then they have greater issues than the PL case; I assume falsified financial statements for the intent of gain is a crime in the UK? If so and they did that they deserve every sort of criminal/civil penalty applicable.
You were defending their sponsors, that's why I'm saying you're wrong.

Lille won the league, are they pulling PSG money based on that? No.
I'm saying, if their sponsorships have been built on the foundation of a fake inflated one, then all ones following were conned.

You're being an idiot. You know damn well I wasn't saying sponsors are charities. I even said in my comment, they can get 'better placements' - using advert boards pitchside as an example.

If one Company paid them a billion and a bigger company see's a fake company paying X amount, the larger company will naturally pay more [as books are cooked] to take top spot on those boards.

You absolutely reek of a plant.
Did you forget your Bluemoon login?

Last edited:
I’m not bored. Who do you support, may I ask? My remark was not about ‘legacy’ … as you know. It was referring to fans as ‘legacy supporters’. This is interesting. What other kinds of supporters are there, do you think?

Why does it matter who I support for goodness sakes? If I told you wouldn't believe me anyways (I'm a United fan). Who I support has nothing to do with my posts in this thread, or other threads in the Football Forum (more neutral compared to the United side). Just call things as I see it

But it wasn't dismissed they just reduced the fine to €10m instead of €30m

If the emails were a smoking gun (to CAS is the key word), the 2 year ban from Europe would not have been revoked. I don't think City are innocent. UEFA didn't meet the needed threshold of proof upon appeal.

Why does it matter who I support for goodness sakes? If I told you wouldn't believe me anyways (I'm a United fan). Who I support has nothing to do with my posts in this thread, or other threads in the Football Forum (more neutral compared to the United side). Just call things as I see it

If the emails were a smoking gun (to CAS is the key word), the 2 year ban from Europe would not have been revoked. I don't think City are innocent. UEFA didn't meet the needed threshold of proof upon appeal.
Pretty sure UEFA didn’t rely on the emails because they were focusing on other areas of their case and they didn’t contribute to it.
It was explained on 5 live yesterday but I have a memory like a sieve

Months... Or years..

Lots of people have suggested this was going on for a long time, double dealing, double contracts, inflated sponsorship etc. But there was no proof.....even though these emails were part of the UEFA investigation.

I think nobody really cared because they were already out there and UEFA couldn't make it stick. So people just kind of knew it was going on but if the authorities didn't seem to care then why should they.

Now that the PL has actually decided to take a case, it's just rival fans being knobs online trying to act like they have all the information and making out that this is a open and shut case. When it's probably going to drag in for months, maybe even years.

I'll be really surprised if the PL actually make any serious punishment stick on this.

City actually disproved many of those emails outside time barred too in CAS, despite what people read here. Whether the PL will buy the same argument is interesting.

For example the famous Aabar letter when it says "you'll pay x and his highness will pay y" Der Spiegel and co. even myself presumed it was a clear admission of guilt, the problem being it would have to read "his royal highness" or the Abu Dhabi equivalent for it to be Mansour. The Sheik in question was actually not Mansour at but Sheik Tahnoon, who was high up at Aabar and from the Abu Dhabi tourist authority and nothing to do with the royal family (debateable but successfully argued by Cities lawyers).

I think it will stick this time but the idea City won't be able to fight it or be found not guilty on the majority of these charges is possible (even if we are guilty)

The cynic in me see's just enough of these charges sticking for not enough to be relegated, but enough to warrant a heavy point deduction, transfer ban and heavy fine, just enough for the PL to say "We don't need no regulator, see how tough we are", placate the big clubs and not drive City towards team ESL.

If City decide to go nuclear, the amount of people who are revealed to have been on the take from them will be the stuff of Hollywood - or maybe seen as too incredulous to be a believable movie!

The amount of people sweating bullets over this must be truly spectacular.

Has there ever been a bigger scandal than this in sport? Calcipoli looks like child's play compared. A decade plus of systematic cheating is going to take some topping! Perhaps the gymnastics scandal?
Like Martin Samuel, allegedly. :)

Pretty sure UEFA didn’t rely on the emails because they were focusing on other areas of their case and they didn’t contribute to it.

Shows the incompetency of UEFA... or the actual value of this evidence... time will tell for sure

I find this very sad from City to say we cheated to compete.

Thats all false because you can organically grow, Chelsea are sitting on the top table because they had rich owners but didn't need to falsify fans, sponsorship.

Yes, their owners invested alot of money, like many clubs, Villa, Forest etc..

They organically grew and spent over the years.

City and their journalists who protect this are pathetic.
Chelsea didn't organically grow mate.

Newcastle maybe a better example, in the short term.

UEFA is Qatar, do you really think they would go against Abu Dhabi (or the Saudis, if you like), especially when you also consider they are all together bribing FIFA (for WC with now the Saudis expecting 2030 award) and half European Parliament under the however legal (when aptily disclosed) lobbying umbrella?

Chelsea didn't organically grow mate.

Newcastle maybe a better example, in the short term.

Chelsea are still not at the level the top clubs are.

They spent alot on transfers, agreed. Managers were sacked if they didnt win. Which is why they won alot, they backed the manager.

They didn't say, we are the biggest club, they didnt make up numbers.

It was, I am the owner and I am backing my club.

As I understand it after reading a bit about the background, it's taken 4 years for the PL to finally charge them because City have done absolutely everything to derail the investigation, ignoring requests for documents appealing through various courts claiming they won't get a fair hearing, various injuctions to keep it out of the public domain eventually ending up in the court of appeal in front of 3 of the UKs most senior judges who expressed dismay at how long the whole process has taken and ultimately ruled against City saying it was of considerable public interest.

They did exactly the same with UEFA,but this time there is no time barring and no appeal to CAS.No doubt they won't co operate taking it to the absolute limit legally and depending on the punishment appeal although that would mean a fresh panel not the courts.

I think they know their bang to rights on a lot of it,hence the constant delaying and secrecy tactics,so they'll just try and use every trick in the book to let it rumble on for years.

Horrible fake club.

I think this may ultimately be the driving reason they will be relegated or receive a points deduction significant enough to do so. It's an egregious affront to the league, several divisions down even.

They spent alot on transfers, agreed. Managers were sacked if they didnt win. Which is why they won alot, they backed the manager.

They didn't make up the numbers and took their punishment on the chin instead of fighting it with lawyers for a decade and commiting fraud.

Chelsea look like child's mischief in comparison.

They didn't make up the numbers and took their punishment on the chin instead of fighting it with lawyers for a decade and commiting fraud.

Chelsea look like child's mischief in comparison.

Erm, it was a different reason. Chelsea were not punished for cooking the books, they got a ban for signing underage players, its not anywhere near the same.

In the early 00s they outspent everyone, City style before FFP.

Watch this from 2003 - 2010.

In the early 00s they outspent everyone, City style before FFP.

Watch this from 2003 - 2010.

No I get that Chelsea spent alot of money. No one is denying that.

A club to breach the top clubs will have to spend alot of money.

Spending money does not equal big club. City act like a big club when they are not. They showing revenues of Real / United, which anyone knows its not true.

I thought a big issue for the UEFA case was also the legality of how the email evidence was acquired, which made it inadmissible?

I'm sure there's a genuine mix or Fraudulent behaviour in those emails, along with plenty of them being taken out of context altogether.

I'll admit to not knowing all the specifics though.

In the US both Manchester clubs are often confused as one team. People will say they know Manchester United as obviously your club is massive and that your shirt is red but then they will go on to say that your manager is Pep Guardiola. It’s really odd. But I believe that really no one actually knows much about City outside of Europe.
:lol: UCity played here during a pre-season tour a few years back, so the locals know who they are but probably think they were from Manchester, NH or maybe TN as that's closer

Why is everyone so sure they wont get demoted? Its the only punishment that would be meaningful and the PL need it to be meaningful. The consequence needs to be worse than the crime otherwise all teams will fancy their chances at gaining many seasons of success if the punishment is just one bad season and a bit of money. Id sacrifice ending up 10th one season if it meant winning 3/4 titles before hand.

After this, financial cheating must seen to be not an option, not something that generates a punishment worth risking for

2. Barcelona had (a better) Messi, Neymar and Suarez... Was it a problem for the game then?
And their wages, along with everyone else has absolutely fecked them over.

They don't have the luxury if a state city handing them a few billion to cover their losses disguised as advertising income.

It's not a level playing field.

@The Irish Connection

GP31371064.jpg
Lovely stuff :devil:

City actually disproved many of those emails outside time barred too in CAS, despite what people read here. Whether the PL will buy the same argument is interesting.

For example the famous Aabar letter when it says "you'll pay x and his highness will pay y" Der Spiegel and co. even myself presumed it was a clear admission of guilt, the problem being it would have to read "his royal highness" or the Abu Dhabi equivalent for it to be Mansour. The Sheik in question was actually not Mansour at but Sheik Tahnoon, who was high up at Aabar and from the Abu Dhabi tourist authority and nothing to do with the royal family (debateable but successfully argued by Cities lawyers).

I think it will stick this time but the idea City won't be able to fight it or be found not guilty on the majority of these charges is possible (even if we are guilty)

The cynic in me see's just enough of these charges sticking for not enough to be relegated, but enough to warrant a heavy point deduction, transfer ban and heavy fine, just enough for the PL to say "We don't need no regulator, see how tough we are", placate the big clubs and not drive City towards team ESL.

I think that's a massive if.

Do people really buy that the PL are doing this to look tough before regulators come in. Why would they spend all that time working on it just to throw it out there now to try and make themselves look big and tough? It makes no sense.

Maybe they had enough information and got fed up of City not cooperating for the last 4 years and just said, right fcuk this and fcuk them, we've has enough. To hell with it, let's try and nail the cnuts now.

The question really is, how much can the PL prove and make stick. Obviously they feel it's a lot if they can put 100 breaches out there. They really need to make sure they have everything right, before they dish out any punishment. Otherwise they leave it open to appeals and cases that could drag on for years.

That's why I think it'll all be settled quite amicably behind the scenes. Maybe an immaterial points deduction, miniscule fine and maybe even a 1 or 2 window transfer ban.

Not true. UEFA had the evidence but it was excluded due to it being statute barred. It was a win on a limitations argument, it had nothing to do with the substance and merits of the evidence.

Reactions: Fortitude
This is a part of the problem with you lot. How do we know they costed that with all the shady things you've been doing? Your dealings on pretty much all fronts have been nothing but shithousery. Fake contracts, fake sponsorship incomes, false wages what's to say you didn't fake transfer fees too?

Why would Blackburn lie about the transfer fee?

Because City have thugs and means of coercing Dortmund and Atletico and Liverpool of underreporting transfer receipts so it makes City look better

I've been told this by someone on here. True story.

It's an interesting theory, that's for sure.

Underreporting wages makes sense for the other party, because the employee gets more money for accepting it and I doubt the employee breaks any rules. For transfer fees the receiving clubs would damage themselves FFP wise, break the rules and therefore risk sanctions, and probably do some accounting fraud and risk the government coming for them as well. Santa Cruz was bought before FFP was a thing also.

Why would it be a problem for Barcelona to have a great homegrown player?

I didn't think it was a problem

It's an interesting theory, that's for sure.

Underreporting wages makes sense for the other party, because the employee gets more money for accepting it and I doubt the employee breaks any rules. For transfer fees the receiving clubs would damage themselves FFP wise, break the rules and therefore risk sanctions, and probably do some accounting fraud and risk the government coming for them as well. Santa Cruz was bought before FFP was a thing also.

Underreporting wages is tax fraud. If City have indeed paid De Bruyne 200k under the table without reporting wages, then both player and club have cheated the Exchequer and the PL should be the least of their problems.

(Definitely the player. If the club has to pay payroll taxes based on employee income then they would be guilty of tax fraud).

I don’t read any of the so called Sports writers as they are all up City’s arse. I did watch some programme where they asked which club supplied the best lunch and they all agreed City did. Gave them all a roast dinner for free. I’d write anything for a free roast. Samuels is a Spurs fan so is irrelevant. I bet he doesn’t mention the revenues of the old guard are legal and attained after years of success and having huge worldwide fan bases and genuine sponsors. Sponsors are not flocking to City for a number of reasons. Human rights, treatment of women even the treatment of Sparky who they sacked after they gave two salaries Mancini the job. It’s clear City are as guilty as hell. Now who will sit on the ‘Independent’ board, that will be where City concentrate their efforts.