City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

Stripping them of titles is meaningless. They'd gladly take that as their punishment as it won't cost them anything and it doesn't damage their footballing project going forward.

Points deductions going forward makes more sense to me. Deduct points for as many years as they committed the infractions. Something like 21 points this season, 15 points for the next four seasons and 9 for the five seasons after that. Good luck qualifying for the CL with those deductions and the inevitable talent exodus.
I can guarantee you they would not ''gladly'' take being stripped of all previous titles.

Your logic also really makes no sense, you are saying punish them in the future but let them keep everything they won during the time they cheated.

How does that even make any sense and what difference does it even make?

FFP is a joke, nothing fair about it. Football establishment is pissed of because they block Liverpool who are now relegation fodder nearly?

I'm all for a squad level salary cap. City are just Jack Walker's Blackburn taken to the extreme.

:lol: Nice satire.

Stripping them of titles is meaningless. They'd gladly take that as their punishment as it won't cost them anything and it doesn't damage their footballing project going forward.

Points deductions going forward makes more sense to me. Deduct points for as many years as they committed the infractions. Something like 21 points this season, 15 points for the next four seasons and 9 for the five seasons after that. Good luck qualifying for the CL with those deductions and the inevitable talent exodus.

It's not meaningless. They are alleged to have broken the rules systematically and continuously during all of their title wins, so letting them keep their titles wouldn't make sense at all. It would be like allowing Lance Armstrong to keep his Tour de France titles.

They should also be relegated at least down to the Championship.

It's not meaningless. They are alleged to have broken the rules systematically, deliberately and continuously during all of their title wins, so letting them keep their titles wouldn't make sense at all. It would be like allowing Lance Armstrong to keep his Tour de France titles.

They should also be relegated at least down to the Championship.
Good points but you say relegated to at least down to the championship as if they could be relegated to anything above it.

Their "punishment" will be whatever makes it look like the PL has done something, while also inconveniencing City the least. All this talk of relegation is fantasy.

Can't understand people saying the titles shouldn't be awarded to the team who placed second in each respective season. In athletics, dope disqualified athletes are stripped retrospectively and their medals handed down to the next on the roster; in football, Juventus' titles went to whoever was not involved in the scandal who was the next closest to them; Lance Armstrong's titles would've been passed on if the whole sport wasn't bent. I don't know if there are examples for other team sports, but handing titles to the would-be legitimate holders is hardly unprecedented and nor should it be.

As for the relegation aspect and all the fallout with regard to what happens to all the other clubs impacted, it should be a mess that is sorted out, not swept under the rug - and I'd be amazed if each club who were majorly compromised don't have their lawyers pawing other the minutiae of this case

This is unprecedented cheating, which should come with unprecedented review and overhaul with no stones left unturned or brushed over for the sake of convenience. This isn't about United or whoever being awarded tainted titles, it's about the next in line being the rightful owners of those titles with their efforts not simply swept under the rug - whoever entered a campaign above board and competing fairly for the trophies at stake has every right to claim them over any club(s) that didn't.

This isn't the 80's or even the 90's where the proceeds of profitable offences were kept in lieu of time served for the crime in question, nope, now you serve time and you're stripped of all the proceeds of said crimes. Absolutely no ill-gotten trophies should remain, and nobody but the offender should be punished for their cheating, which is essentially what's on the table by not awarding the rightful parties what is fairly theirs.

Don't be scared, use the @ button next time

If City are found guilty no tears will be shed on this end, do the "crime" do the time

I think the framework in which the crime is defined is bullshit, as well as some arguments that border on "conspiracy theory" status, but that's not the point of this thread is it? :)

Do carry on
I’m just yanking your chain dude (although I do see a lot of contrary takes regarding Pep/City from yourself) but it’s a much better, and well thought out read than some of the stuff I see from our own fans. :)

Let's wait and see. Every second post is "nothing will happen to them" as if they've some kind of inside information. We haven't seen this magnitude of charges in the PL before.

Isn’t it supposed to be YaYa?
I can’t see what they’d do if they found him. Aren’t whistle blowers protected?
Informer kills them by the way. That’s the end of City

edit they fell for a parody account. Fake news

I don’t understand your point here.

You are now suggesting there’s corruption everywhere because City have been caught out?

Why would United need to circumnavigate sponsorship deal rules to inflate revenue? Or pay people offshore extras?

Its obvious why City did it and have continued to do it. Chelsea are another who has already been caught out. Hopefully they get what’s coming to them too.
I'm not suggesting that there is. I kind of suggest that there might be. It would be interesting to see what would happen if investigators took a dive into all clubs books in the same timeframe.

I think I've made it clear that it is irrelevant in terms of the punishment we should get when/if these charges in turn gets proven right. But it was more a comment on the significance of the number of charges. It is obviously extremely high in isolasion, but from a curious perspective it would be interesting to see how every other club would fare given the same treatment. The majority might be clean as a fiddle for all I know.

I'm sorry that it came across a bit "look at everyone Else, they surely must be cheating too" but I didn't intend that at all.

Last edited:

27rnb.gif

I just applied your point deduction system to the last 5 years. 5 years ago they'd have still won the title with a 21 point deduction and were comfortably top 4 in the other 4. They'll still have success regardless of point deductions whilst Pep is still around. They'd be going all out for cup competitions and would still be in the champions league off your method.

Yet Manchester City purchased the club.

Yeah, OK.

Manchester City didn't purchase the club, wtf are you on about?
City Football Group purchased 44% of the club... Pere Guardiola purchased another 44%.

FFP is a joke, nothing fair about it.

I honestly think FFP should be thrown out because all it has done is incentivize corruption. Let's keep everything above board and do some wage-caps.

Wage caps, some audit requirements on club finances, strong penalties for fraud.

That's how I'd go about it at least.

Focusing on fraud w/o dealing with the reason why there's fraud in the first place is not going to end well.

Can't understand people saying the titles shouldn't be awarded to the team who placed second in each respective season. In athletics, dope disqualified athletes are stripped retrospectively and their medals handed down to the next on the roster; in football, Juventus' titles went to whoever was not involved in the scandal who was the next closest to them; Lance Armstrong's titles would've been passed on if the whole sport wasn't bent. I don't know if there are examples for other team sports, but handing titles to the would-be legitimate holders is hardly unprecedented and nor should it be.

As for the relegation aspect and all the fallout with regard to what happens to all the other clubs impacted, it should be a mess that is sorted out, not swept under the rug - and I'd be amazed if each club who were majorly compromised don't have their lawyers pawing other the minutiae of this case

This is unprecedented cheating, which should come with unprecedented review and overhaul with no stones left unturned or brushed over for the sake of convenience. This isn't about United or whoever being awarded tainted titles, it's about the next in line being the rightful owners of those titles with their efforts not simply swept under the rug - whoever entered a campaign above board and competing fairly for the trophies at stake has every right to claim them over any club(s) that didn't.

This isn't the 80's or even the 90's where the proceeds of profitable offences were kept in lieu of time served for the crime in question, nope, now you serve time and you're stripped of all the proceeds of said crimes. Absolutely no ill-gotten trophies should remain, and nobody but the offender should be punished for their cheating, which is essentially what's on the table by not awarding the rightful parties what is fairly theirs.
100+ charges against the club. I agree the titles should be stripped and given to whoever finished at second place. Lets make an example out of them. Such trick will not be repeated if those shady, rich owners see how the progress is just going to be wiped out. It's time to return some sense back to football.

It's FERGUSON. He sees EVERYTHING. He knows EVERYTHING. He controls EVERYTHING.

If City get relegated what will happen to all their expensive world class players?

They are under contract so in theory they could be forced to play in the lower leagues. More realistic is that the players that can go, will be allowed to go for a fair value. In the case of Juve,manyof their star went down with the club and they immediately returned.

I'm not suggesting that there is. I kond of suggest that there might be. It would be interesting to see what would happen if investigators took a dive into all clubs books in the same timeframe.

I think I've made it clear that it is irrelevant in terms of the punishment we should get when/if these charges in turn gets proven right. But it was more a comment on the significance of the number of charges. It is obviously extremely high in isolasjon, but from a curious perspective it eould be interesting to see how every other club would fare given the same treatment. The majority might be clean as a fiddle for all I know.

I'm sorry that it came across a bit "look at everyone Else, they surely must be cheating too" but I didn't intend that at all.

Yeah understood. Not a problem.

Be interesting to see what happens

If (big if) it is proven that any employee had under the table payments, then not only city the club will be liable but the players will too.
HMRC do not feck about with this type of thing.
much the same as Juve were eventually brought down by the financial authorities getting involved.

If (big if) it is proven that any employee had under the table payments, then not only city the club will be liable but the players will too.
HMRC do not feck about with this type of thing.
much the same as Juve were eventually brought down by the financial authorities getting involved.
I believe the Juve players are waiting to see if they're going to get banned also for accepting deferred payments. They're all in massive shit, so City's players better start hoping they go soft on them.

Even the punishment you suggest (which I agree is more realistic, much as i’d love them to be stripped of titles and relegated) would cripple them assuming the PL continues to scrutinise their finances. I doubt a self-financing City (meaning a reversion to mid-table interspersed with relegation battles) is of much interest to Abu Dhabi.
Agreed. We may not see the punishment that we all want and it may seem paltry in retrospect. But, the aftermath of all this will probably make City self implode and they'll probably recede into irrelevance because of their "history." There is no way their current owners will want to continue with this while constantly being on watch for just buying a cup of tea at the cafeteria.