City and Financial Doping | Charged by PL with numerous FFP breaches | Hearing begins 16th September 2024

This is probably good for us in all fairness. Shit for smaller teams, but good for the likes of United.
Who cares? It’s not just about us. They’ve broken the PL completely and are allowed to cheat for fun.

:lol:

probably the most easily corruptible part of football finances has just been given the all clear for citys rotten regime to continue their bogus deals.

They really are the worst thing that has ever happened British football.

Per the BBC

This case is not directly related to the Premier League disciplinary commission which will hear 115 charges against City for allegedly breaching its financial regulations, some of which date back to 2009.

City will be hoping that their PR wing in the media do their bit now. Not a word that comes out of that club should be taken at face value.

So wait, are the APT rules dead or not?
How does one love this game these days…
You don't, really. It's absolutely shit.
This is probably good for us in all fairness. Shit for smaller teams, but good for the likes of United.
It doesn't matter - if it's bad for football (and if the APT rules are dead, then it's bad), it's bad for us too.
Villa looking fecking dodgy nowadays too by the way
They're basically City and Newcastle-light. I like the team and Emery but the club is just as shit as those other 2.

Can anyone explain the implications of the shareholder loans ruling?

As I understand it, the tribunal have said that shareholder loans should not be excluded from the scope of APT rules. What I'm struggling with, is how that benefits city and which deals or charges it would impact.

Perhaps I'm being dense, but it appears to me that City have argued the league should be imposing these rules to greater effect and that they've been successful in that challenge, while being unsuccessful in all the challenges where they were arguing the league should be imposing the rules to lesser effect?

What the fugg is going on?

Essentially it won't affect the 115 (Above 130 now) as they failed in their main argument that FMV was illegal.

They won over a few minor points associated with interest over loans (Coming from SH loans) not included in P&L and this essentially isn't that big as majority of the SH loans are converted to equity so interest is irrelevant.

They managed to argue the burden of proof as essentially a club can put forward a sponsorship for consideration to PL for it to be refused with little recourse but now the burden is on the PL to explain why it's rejecting it if it is to make it a bit clearer which is a good idea.

Can you summarize the summary?
Just above me, it's nothing major to be honest it means sections of the rules need to be re-written slightly to make it a bit fairer concerning SH loans (and associated interest) and to do with burden of proof over FMV.

City's big point was to challenge how the FMV is applied (Basically trying to rework what we consider fair market value in a bid to use voodoo maths to overvalue what FMV is and get bigger deals through) and that was thrown out, which if they had won they could use in tandem with the 115 charges and state the standards they are held against not complying with weren't lawful but it's moot as they lost that section of the argument.

Can you summarize the summary?
GPT can

The tweet outlines several key points regarding a legal case involving Manchester City and the Premier League (PL):

1. Manchester City won the argument that the PL, not clubs, should bear the burden of proof for determining Fair Market Value (FMV) of sponsorships. As a result, the PL’s decision to block certain sponsorships was ruled unlawful, possibly allowing City to claim damages. This outcome reflects poorly on the PL and its legal team.
  2. City also successfully challenged the PL’s rules for not considering shareholder loan finance costs in financial regulations. This is surprising as the rules are in line with UEFA's standards. The decision could have major consequences for other clubs and may require the PL to rewrite its rules.
  3. The article the tweet references stirs controversy, especially regarding Arsenal. The FMV rule benefits all clubs, not just City and Newcastle. Arsenal could avoid finance costs by converting shareholder loans into equity.
  4. Manchester City did not win the argument against applying FMV to transactions, meaning the current rules will eventually be rewritten but won’t disappear entirely. This outcome is unlikely to affect City’s other legal issues, including over 115 other charges.

So it means nothing so? The 115 is the main issue, not this? I've seen a dozen clickbait headlines about City winning their case.

Essentially it won't affect the 115 (Above 130 now) as they failed in their main argument that FMV was illegal.

They won over a few minor points associated with interest over loans (Coming from SH loans) not included in P&L and this essentially isn't that big as majority of the SH loans are converted to equity so interest is irrelevant.

They managed to argue the burden of proof as essentially a club can put forward a sponsorship for consideration to PL for it to be refused with little recourse but now the burden is on the PL to explain why it's rejecting it if it is to make it a bit clearer which is a good idea.
PL is a dead competition, this is a joke, how can they allowed to get away with this, that's football done for me, corruption, back-handers, City are scum blah blah blah....

Oh wait, it's got nothing to do with the 115 charges? Sorry I was too busy being furious to actually read it.

PL is a dead competition, this is a joke, how can they allowed to get away with this, that's football done for me, corruption, back-handers, City are scum blah blah blah....

Oh wait, it's got nothing to do with the 115 charges? Sorry I was too busy being furious to actually read it.

I don't believe the majority of journalists even understand FFP or basic finances but they saw "City won certain sections of their case" so they run off and try to whip up a frenzy

Just above me, it's nothing major to be honest it means sections of the rules need to be re-written slightly to make it a bit fairer concerning SH loans (and associated interest) and to do with burden of proof over FMV.

City's big point was to challenge how the FMV is applied (Basically trying to rework what we consider fair market value in a bid to use voodoo maths to overvalue what FMV is and get bigger deals through) and that was thrown out, which if they had won they could use in tandem with the 115 charges and state the standards they are held against not complying with weren't lawful but it's moot as they lost that section of the argument.
Thank you very much guys! Was feeling a bit lazy :)

I don't believe the majority of journalists even understand FFP or basic finances but they saw "City won certain sections of their case" so they run off and try to whip up a frenzy
Probably pro city journalists.

Saw Everton, Newcastle, and Chelsea were involved as witnesses for City too.

So it means nothing so? The 115 is the main issue, not this? I've seen a dozen clickbait headlines about City winning their case.
Yeah, deliberately click baity and misleading. The media know what people want (punishment for City) so putting out the opposite is an easy rage bait click for them.

The outcome of this as far as the 115/130 charges is actually a defeat for City. If they had succesfully had the fair market value bit defeated here it could have had a significant impact on the potential punishments for dodging / hiding it historically. Fair market value was upheld as a principle, which is bad news for them.

The idea you can just make up sponsorship and that be legal is ludicrous.

Surely City pursuing this AND claiming some sort of victory when it isn’t really a victory, makes the Premier League more determined that the 130+ charges are properly punished?!

Looks like a bit of give and take on both sides, neither side looks to have won or lost.
I suppose when City claim compensation for having two sponsorship deals unfairly vetoed there will be more wailing and gnashing of teeth from the witnesses to the PL.