Cineworld cancels film about the daughter of the Prophet Muhammad

"lay our life on the line"

For what? Writing angry letters?
Lay our life on the line - for their beliefs (I’m assuming that’s what is tacitly meant).

Again, what’s the specific threat with that phrase?

I’ve been watching ‘Sunderland til I die’ recently, one of the fellas on that said ‘I’d die for this club’. It didn’t make me feel threatened.

Edit: I don’t understand what you mean by ‘writing angry letters’.

Lay our life on the line - for their beliefs (I’m assuming that’s what is tacitly meant).

Again, what’s the specific threat with that phrase?

I’ve been watching ‘Sunderland til I die’ recently, one of the fellas on that said ‘I’d die for this club’. It didn’t make me feel threatened.

Well it's open to interpretation i guess, but when you consider the recent past its not surprising what people might assume by what he meant. Don't know much about the violent the history of Sunderland fans.

Not being facetious, what’s the threat? Like the actual tangible threat?

‘Actions will have repercussions’ - maybe the repercussions are more protests? More petitions? More inconvenience?

I’m struggling to make the link between what he’s saying and something more sinister.
It’s the fact that one doesn’t do something sinister without first being that person we see in the clip. Being in that mind is only a small step away from committing a crime.

The threat is veiled, but it is there nonetheless. To reiterate that actions have consequences is most certainly a threat.

Well it's open to interpretation i guess, but when you consider the recent past its not surprising what people might assume by what he meant. Don't know much about the violent the history of Sunderland fans.

It’s the fact that one doesn’t do something sinister without first being that person we see in the clip. Being in that mind is only a small step away from committing a crime.

The threat is veiled, but it is there nonetheless. To reiterate that actions have consequences is most certainly a threat.

For all intents and purposes, (and in a court of law), a threat is only a threat if a threat is made.

You’re free to infer what you want but the reality is no actual tangible threat has been made. Trying to crowbar something more into a person saying ‘actions have repercussions’ at an actual live protest won’t get you very far.

For all intents and purposes, (and in a court of law), a threat is only a threat if a threat is made.

You’re free to infer what you want but the reality is no actual tangible threat has been made. Trying to crowbar something more into a person saying ‘actions have repercussions’ at an actual live protest won’t get you very far.
It’s a bit passive aggressive to be sure, but if you can’t see how what he said would cause potential repercussions & cause a business to alter its operating protocol, that’s a bit naive. Seems like forced naïveté.

It’s a bit passive aggressive to be sure, but if you can’t see how what he said would cause potential repercussions & cause a business to alter its operating protocol, that’s a bit naive. Seems like forced naïveté.
Did Cineworld pull the showing because of him specifically or because a large group of people amassed outside and were protesting? The latter is intimidating for sure and probably the more likely reason.

On that dude specifically, how do you know he didn’t mean more protests, or petitions?

But not necessarily a threat of violence. To say that actions have consequences is a statement of fact. There was already a large petition doing the rounds that reached over 120k signatures. There were protests outside cinemas in several major cities. Those are also consequences of said actions.

But not necessarily a threat of violence. To say that actions have consequences is a statement of fact. There was already a large petition doing the rounds that reached over 120k signatures. There were protests outside cinemas in several major cities. Those are also consequences of said actions.

From my perspective it's the combination of 'actions have consequences', 'there will be repercussions' and 'we will lay our lives on the line for this' that comes across as threatening. You can't examine snippets of his statement in isolation. Dude is willing to die over this issue. Petitions and peaceful protest don't usually result in death.

From my perspective it's the combination of 'actions have consequences', 'there will be repercussions' and 'we will lay our lives on the line for this' that comes across as a threat. You can't examine snippets of his statement in isolation. Dude is willing to die over this issue. Petitions and peaceful protest don't usually result in death.

hunger strikes and self immolations are also part of peaceful protests. But when it comes to this particular person I get why people interpret it as a threat.

You can't examine snippets of his statement in isolation

Also you can’t just take the entire statement in isolation. He knows very well, as do the rest of us, that protests targeting alleged blasphemy in Islam have tended to produce violence and in some high-profile cases deaths in the last couple of decades.

hunger strikes and self immolations are also part of peaceful protests. But when it comes to this particular person I get why people interpret it as a threat.

Lighting yourself on fire doesn't really strike me as a peaceful action, JP. And anyway I said usually. We can also reference the Ohio State (Kent State) protests as a counter example but again, usually.

From my perspective it's the combination of 'actions have consequences', 'there will be repercussions' and 'we will lay our lives on the line for this' that comes across as a threat. You can't examine snippets of his statement in isolation. Dude is willing to die over this issue. Petitions and peaceful protest don't usually result in death.

The first two phrases are basically the same thing. The last one is on dubious ground for sure.

Lighting yourself on fire doesn't really strike me as a peaceful action, JP. And anyway I said usually. We can also reference the Ohio State protests as a counter example but again, usually.

It's not peaceful for yourself but it is for others, when we talk about peace we are generally talking about it from the point of the view of society otherwise all protests regardless of the actions isn't peaceful, the protesters aren't at peace with the situation.

Exactly. You’d either have to be very naive or deliberately disingenuous to not interpret his words in the context of numerous prior violent incidents on behalf of the same ideology he is defending when he talks about consequences and putting life on the line.

You can be damn sure that he himself is acutely aware of that context.

It's not peaceful for yourself but it is for others, when we talk about peace we are generally talking about it from the point of the view of society otherwise all protests regardless of the actions isn't peaceful, the protesters aren't at peace with the situation.

Would you honestly not experience any trauma if you watched someone setting themselves alight and burning to death in close proximity to you? Hardly peaceful mate. All I'm saying is there are better examples you could have chosen. Hunger strike is a good one, peaceful, dangerous only to the protester, only sometimes fatal.

Would you honestly not experience any trauma if you watched someone setting themselves alight and burning to death in close proximity to you? Hardly peaceful mate. All I'm saying is there are better examples you could have chosen. Hunger strike is a good one, peaceful, dangerous only to the protester, only sometimes fatal.

Actually the Chinese citizens in Tibet are terrified when tibetan protesters self immolate. I still commend that over being violent to others.

Exactly. You’d either have to be very naive or deliberately disingenuous to not interpret his words in the context of numerous prior violent incidents on behalf of the same ideology he is defending when he talks about consequences and putting life on the line.

Agreed.

I don't think that potential trauma from witnesses makes it not peaceful but that's only me.

You can be damn sure that he himself is acutely aware of that context.

He is still only one person in one location out of hundreds maybe thousands across multiple cities. I've seen the video shared thousands of times across social media almost to make him the representative face of the protests, which is another nasty side of this sort of situation I really dislike.

I don't think that potential trauma from witnesses makes it not peaceful but that's only me.

I've unfortunately witnessed a suicide (someone jumping off a building not self-immolation) and it's not potential trauma, it's tremendously traumatizing. Of all the adjectives I could use to describe that event, peaceful is not one of them. Something like self-immolation )or jumping off a building) is a violent act even if it's only intended to be violent against oneself. It does carry a potential danger to bystanders as well.

I've unfortunately witnessed a suicide (someone jumping off a building not self-immolation) and it's not potential trauma, it's tremendously traumatizing. Of all the adjectives I could use to describe that event, peaceful is not one of them. Something like self-immolation )or jumping off a building) is a violent act even if it's only intended to be violent against oneself. It does carry a potential danger to bystanders as well.

I was reading a story the other day about a guy who was talking about a time he almost committed suicide. He said he had decided to jump out in front of a train and he actually tried to do it but a stranger noticed what was happening and stopped him. He is in a much better place today and he said he regarded the stranger as his guardian angel. One of the replies said that stranger saved two lives (potentially more) that day. The troubled individual and the would-be unlucky train driver.

A movie maker is allowed to do that type of things but people are allowed to criticize and protest it. While the rest of us can decide whether we agree with the protesters or not. Now one thing that I believe should be looked at is artistic propaganda, we need to be careful about "artists" using art to vehiculate damaging ideas.

Who gets to decide though? The history of art is about the norms at the time and the suppression of arts and ideas. I mean for sure you can conjure up lots scenarios where most of us wouldn't approve(like the Corinthian mentioned). But the general emancipation of art also produces the best content. Even though it gets harder and harder most artists want to provocative.

Did Cineworld pull the showing because of him specifically or because a large group of people amassed outside and were protesting? The latter is intimidating for sure and probably the more likely reason.

On that dude specifically, how do you know he didn’t mean more protests, or petitions?
That person would sooner commit a crime regarding this movie as opposed to starting an online petition.

Who gets to decide though? The history of art is about the norms at the time and the suppression of arts and ideas. I mean for sure you can conjure up lots scenarios where most of us wouldn't approve(like the Corinthian mentioned). But the general emancipation of art also produces the best content. Even though it gets harder and harder most artists want to provocative.

Well I assume that all countries currently have an adminsistration that controls and limits broadcasting in US you have the FCC, in France the CSA and in the UK the BBFC. I don't know if there is any country in the world where anything and everything is accepted based on being considered art.

I can get that. It's a good point.

That person would sooner commit a crime regarding this movie as opposed to starting an online petition.
There’s already a petition that’s been signed by over 125,000 people.

What proof do you have that he’d rather commit a crime?

There’s already a petition that’s been signed by over 125,000 people.

What proof do you have that he’d rather commit a crime?
Proof? None. Is it an educated guess? Certainly.

If I saw this person at a protest saying these things, I would be concerned. Toss the idiocy of religion into the mix, you have a fundamentalist who would probably sooner turn to violent action than measured rancor. They’ve past that point.

But that’s me.

If I saw this person at a protest saying these things, I would be concerned. Toss the idiocy of religion into the mix, you have a fundamentalist who would probably sooner turn to violent action than measured rancor. They’ve past that point.

But that’s me.

It's more likely to be a loud mouth. That's my educated guess.

But that’s me.
I mean, that’s just lazy stereotyping. Nothing educated about it. It’s also an assertion that has no grounding in reality.

The screenwriter (also an imam) is the equivalent of a Westboro Baptist Church member to wider Christianity. He’s been banned from most Gulf countries and Iran.
I’m not saying he isn’t a dick.
Yeah that's fair enough, I was just hoping to point out that him being a Shia muslim is an important part of why this is a divisive and provocative film.
Well, I just think a Shi’ite has as much a right to make a movie about Islamic history as a Sunni does.
Second, this film was approved for showing in UK.
Well, yeah… because there’s freedom of speech/religion/expression.

I mean, that’s just lazy stereotyping. Nothing educated about it. It’s also an assertion that has no grounding in reality.
Yeah, not like we haven’t seen issues in the past when Mohammad was depicted in media.

Chances are nothing will happen, but one doesn’t commit a crime without having the mindset of the person on camera.

Well, I just think a Shi’ite has as much a right to make a movie about Islamic history as a Sunni does.
Agree - but this isn’t an historically accurate movie. It’s deliberately misleading. We wouldn’t defend the right of the KKK to make a movie where they say that black people had smaller brains 200 years ago, and that black people killed Christ etc. there needs to be some modicum of historical rigour in place. *

The most pertinent thing in my mind is that scholars for both Sunnis and Shia (ie orthodox) have condemned the movie for being so wilfully provocative and misleading. That to me says a lot.

* not being offensive here but trying to illustrate a point.

I dunno man, if this was a video of an Israeli saying something similar towards a Palestinian….

Agree - but this isn’t an historically accurate movie. It’s deliberately misleading. We wouldn’t defend the right of the KKK to make a movie where they say that black people had smaller brains 200 years ago, and that black people killed Christ etc. there needs to be some modicum of historical rigour in place. *

The most pertinent thing in my mind is that scholars for both Sunnis and Shia (ie orthodox) have condemned the movie for being so wilfully provocative and misleading. That to me says a lot.

* not being offensive here but trying to illustrate a point.

If the movie is a parody or an assumed fiction then they can tweak history as much as they want, the issue is only if the movie is sold as an accurate depiction of history.

The issue isn’t about the depiction though.

The guy making threats in the video was specifically mentioning defending the honour of the prophet. But anyways considering that not even south park had the balls to feature muhammed(in the episode with him in a Teddy bear suit). I think having even a cgi Muhammed in a film is at least a major part of controversy.

I've certainly not said otherwise, but the protests were inevitable and fair game.

It literally says such in the article in the OP. Have I missed something in the last five pages?
The guy making threats into video was specifically mentioning defending the honour of the prophet. But anyways considering that not even south park had the balls to feature muhammed(in the episode with him in a Teddy bear suit). I think having even a cgi Muhammed in a film is at least a major part of controversy.
The main issue is the how characters such as Abu Bakr, Umar, Uthman, and Aisha are shown, and their personalities. These four figures are held in the highest esteem (along with others) in Sunni Islam. They’re shown as villains of the piece and are all played by black actors (another example of the historical inaccuracy as they’re all from the same Arab tribe as the ‘goodies’ who are played by white actors).

The CGI depiction of the Prophet is an issue but not the main one.