Chelsea 2024/25

You seem quite okay to use speculation to paint the Sterling move in a positive light, yet ignore the speculation that Chelsea are covering Sancho’s full wages this year and the obligation is a minimum of £20 million unless you finish 15th or below.

Why on earth would Sterling effectively give up on his playing career and move to Saudi when he is entitled to similar figures for the next two years in London.
The athletic state this morning that Sancho took a significant pay cut to move to Chelsea if Chelsea are indeed paying all Sanchos wages which I very much doubt then it’s not the sum that Utd were paying him.
As for Sterling he may or may not sit out his contract at Chelsea but again everything I have read suggests he just wants to play.

It's weird that the journos are all acting like it's actually been confirmed.
Chelsea have published every deal done to date in the window ( as we know a few countries windows haven’t yet closed ) and whilst Sterlings loan is clearly included there isn’t any mention whatsoever that the Sancho deal has been completed
I can only think that it hasn’t been confirmed by the PL and that almost certainly will be because of an issue re paperwork.
Did you get your FAX repaired?

The athletic state this morning that Sancho took a significant pay cut to move to Chelsea if Chelsea are indeed paying all Sanchos wages which I very much doubt then it’s not the sum that Utd were paying him.
As for Sterling he may or may not sit out his contract at Chelsea but again everything I have read suggests he just wants to play.
Wouldn't that pay cut only take effect when he signs an actual Chelsea contract ? While he's on loan i assume his current contract is used and is still paid 250/300k pw ?

Wouldn't that pay cut only take effect when he signs an actual Chelsea contract ? While he's on loan i assume his current contract is used and is still paid 250/300k pw ?
In England /Wales when a player goes on loan the owning club still pays whatever wages the player is contracted to be paid. The wages being paid by Utd can within the contract go up or down as agreed but he will still be on Utds Payroll.
What happens then the club that has loaned the player out will invoice the other club for whatever sum has been agreed . It could be all the wages + a fee. It could be no fee all the wages , part of the wages or whatever added to that will be VAT.

I read somewhere he took a pay-cut to 120k a week which Chelsea are paying. Thats not including bonuses which im sure would be huge

The numbers I am seeing suggest that in relation to Sterling that a significant element of his overall package ( potentially £300k a week ) was individual and team bonuses which can’t follow him, that Arsenal are paying 50% of his basic wage, Chelsea 25% and Sterling has agreed to take a 25% cut to facilitate the move.
Sterling won’t be back at Chelsea next season playing he will either sign for Arsenal or if he bombs it there he will probably be off to Saudi. There is no where for him to go on loan to outside England
In terms of Sancho we have absolutely no idea what % of his wages Chelsea will be paying or indeed what sort of fee,if there is one or indeed what the obligation to buy is set against.
Just as an aside players that go out on loan from one English club to another English club remain on the home clubs payroll
RE Sancho we do have an idea.

It’s been mentioned £8m loan fee + £25m obligation should Chelsea finish above 14th. Nothing on the wage though.

RE Sancho we do have an idea.

It’s been mentioned £8m loan fee + £25m obligation should Chelsea finish above 14th. Nothing on the wage though.

Those are not the only figures being mentioned though. But naturally you would pick the ones that seem most beneficial to United.

Those are not the only figures being mentioned though. But naturally you would pick the ones that seem most beneficial to United.
What figures have you seen? I think the obligation is set in stone at that figure and mechanics by most journalists.

The wage and fee seems to be changing

No loan fee but we're paying most of his wages apparently.

It doesn’t actually say that . What it says is “ the large majority of his wage is covered” that could of course mean that Chelsea are paying £250k a week but it likewise mean that Sancho has agreed to reduce his wage by a sum and Chelsea will be paying £250k minus whatever sum Sancho has agreed to take a hit on. Which would be my reading of the situation if you take into account the Athletic article. But of course in the equation you still have the £15 ish million amortisation to be factored in and from what I read the obligation won’t kick in for a while, if at all !

That is a real vote of confidence in the manager and current squad!
The reason that clause was put in was to delay the date for PSR/FFP purposes.
Cheers.

The saving for us on wages is going to be more than the £8m mentioned I imagine so makes sense.

The loan won’t be for 12 months as things stand till the end of the contract year 30/6/25 there are 44 weeks even then unless other provisions kick in then the latest the loan will run to is 28/5/25 the date of the ECL Final.

In effect the loan would as a maximum be 40 weeks . The question is how accurate the £250k a week or when it said the majority of his wage did that mean 80%90% 95% or what

Yep. Newcastle did exactly the same with Lewis Hall obligation. They'd just finished in top4 the previous season but got Hall on loan with an obligation that required them to avoid relegation to be triggered.

Just an accounting gimmick, nothing more. Basically it's guaranteed to happen but if the deal gets done with an unconditional obligation then the accounts will consider it a permanent move from day one, but if there's even a bit of doubt whether it happens or not it's possible to just kick the can down the road till next season.

The loan won’t be for 12 months as things stand till the end of the contract year 30/6/25 there are 44 weeks even then unless other provisions kick in then the latest the loan will run to is 28/5/25 the date of the ECL Final.

In effect the loan would as a maximum be 40 weeks . The question is how accurate the £250k a week or when it said the majority of his wage did that mean 80%90% 95% or what

By your calculations that’s £11m

If it’s slightly less it’s still more than £8m loan fee so it’s understandable that’s been wavered.

The total cost is going to be between 30-35m

Isn't it strange that the Sancho transfer hasn't been made public yet?

By your calculations that’s £11m

If it’s slightly less it’s still more than £8m loan fee so it’s understandable that’s been wavered.

The total cost is going to be between 30-35m

Think you’re completely missing the point.

Let’s assume it’s 40 weeks ( read my last post again ) . Let’s assume by the majority they mean 80% ( it could mean 51% it could be 90 % depends what is meant by the majority ) so £250x 40 = £10 million so 80% would be £8 million.
I know that’s convenient for my argument but what it only goes to prove how little we actually know

Think you’re completely missing the point.

Let’s assume it’s 40 weeks ( read my last post again ) . Let’s assume by the majority they mean 80% ( it could mean 51% it could be 90 % depends what is meant by the majority ) so £250x 40 = £10 million so 80% would be £8 million.
I know that’s convenient for my argument but what it only goes to prove how little we actually know
I was going off what @duffer posted.

As said it seems safe to say the package will be in excess of £30m

I’ve read that United aren’t paying Sancho an anything now, so quite frankly I couldn’t care what Chelsea are rumoured to be paying him.
Luckily for Sterling he is playing for a Champions League team this year so I’m sure he’s fine with this arrangement.

Really think the media are overpaying the boyhood club thing with Sancho. If it was a factor in his mind he'd have joined us in 2020, possibly even at youth level. 99.9% of players don't care about who they supported as a kid, certainly not when scaled for what's best for their career anyway.

He's almost certainly joining us because we're the only club can afford him and want him.

I’m fascinated to watch them this season for some reason. What’s happening with their recruitment just makes who is going to play for them and how they are going to play really interesting, as well all the potential fallouts and whether they will actually be any good.

Plus, if their games are anything like the Wolves game it’ll be a fun watch at least.

Such a poor move for Sancho.

Should've just found a way to get him back to Dortmund as it's clear that's the one place in Football where he's happy and can be himself.

So let me keep up with Chelsea then....they've signed Sancho to play on the right...oh wait Cole Palmer is there. Hang on Palmer's been moved more central so Sancho can play ri....oh wait Madueke just scored a fantastic hat trick and needs to be shown the faith to start the next 10 games.

So Sancho moves to the left where he was completely anonymous generally for Man. United. And Chelsea already have Neto and Mudryk to rotate.

Good luck Enzo...

Can't really understand them again fudging the CF issue for another window aswell. Jackson is improving but he's still hit and miss with general finishing so in tighter games that will still be a problem. Also got to find a way to give Felix some minutes. Not sure just starting some of them against Irish part timers in the Europa Conference will suffice.

Yeah it's just bizarre they've bothered to sign Sancho after already signing Pedro Neto and Joao Felix this summer, Nkunku being fit again, Madueke looking promising, and Palmer being undroppable for good reason. And I'm sure I'm forgetting some others.

Such a poor move for Sancho.

Should've just found a way to get him back to Dortmund as it's clear that's the one place in Football where he's happy and can be himself.

So let me keep up with Chelsea then....they've signed Sancho to play on the right...oh wait Cole Palmer is there. Hang on Palmer's been moved more central so Sancho can play ri....oh wait Madueke just scored a fantastic hat trick and needs to be shown the faith to start the next 10 games.

So Sancho moves to the left where he was completely anonymous generally for Man. United. And Chelsea already have Neto and Mudryk to rotate.

Good luck Enzo...

Can't really understand them again fudging the CF issue for another window aswell. Jackson is improving but he's still hit and miss with general finishing so in tighter games that will still be a problem. Also got to find a way to give Felix some minutes. Not sure just starting some of them against Irish part timers in the Europa Conference will suffice.
How often did he even play on the left at United? Rashford has pretty much commandeered that position since forever.

What mad sh*t is this? :lol:

Every time Chelsea do something nowadays I immediately assume it's some dodgy way of circumventing the PSR rules, no doubt there'll be some along those lines for this extension. I bet he's on a lesser wage per week over a longer period that will be guaranteed to be paid regardless of whether he stays at the club or something crazy like that.

One of our main rivals for the 4th spot in EPL, this season, considering 1-3 is earmarked for City, Arsenal, Liverpool. It assumes they get their shit together and the level of uncertainty due to their dysfunction placing them probable for any spot between 4 and 12th. Still we cannot discount them, yet, and if their manager can figure-out the mess they are in, they have enough talent potential to rocket to 4th, leaving us behind them. Hopefully not anything that will actually happen, however

What mad sh*t is this? :lol:

Every time Chelsea do something nowadays I immediately assume it's some dodgy way of circumventing the PSR rules, no doubt there'll be some along those lines for this extension. I bet he's on a lesser wage per week over a longer period that will be guaranteed to be paid regardless of whether he stays at the club or something crazy like that.
The most logical explanation of the insanity going on at Chelsea would be that all of this is one, big money laundering scheme masquerading behind football....

Not accusing anybody of anything, just saying - that would be the most logical explanation, because sans alterior motives, what they are doing makes zero footballing sense :)