Chelsea 2024/25

Can someone educate me about Chelsea's net expenditure this transfer window? It seems that they have had at least one dozen players moving in one direction to another? What is their net expenditure?
And if the weekly wages have increased?

According to Transfermarkt it's 261M€ spent and 175M€ received, so around £72M net spend after currency exchange. Net spend would be close to zero if the club hadn't once again spent tens of millions on some youths for the loan army (Wiley, Anselmino, Penders, Kellyman for a total £49M).

As for the salaries, who knows really. Of the first team signings only Sancho, Felix and Neto are going to be on significant contracts and the rest of the newcomers will likely be on squad player wages. Then we've got Silva, Chalobah, Gallagher and roughly half a Sterling off the first team wage bill but I doubt those guys earned as much as the ones who've come in so maybe the salaries have increased some compared to last season? But then there's also the question of the loanee salaries and there's just no way to know the salary distribution for those, but finally getting rid of Lukaku, Ziyech, Sarr on permanents will definitely have had some kind of an impact.

Sancho will likely be first choice on the LW for Chelsea won't he? A position where he was 3rd choice here.

Jackson, Sancho, Palmer, Neto is a dangerous front 4. With Nkunku, Mudryk, Felix, Madueke as back up options.

No he won't. If I had to guess I would say Neto will be first choice on the left and Sancho will then battle it out with Mudryk for 2nd and 3rd choice. And if they're both shite, which wouldn't really surprise anyone, then it's also possible for Felix/Nkunku to come in on the left and drop them further down the pecking order.

It's just a totally unncessary signing.

Can someone educate me about Chelsea's net expenditure this transfer window? It seems that they have had at least one dozen players moving in one direction to another? What is their net expenditure?
And if the weekly wages have increased?

Total mess, that club

Our net spend this window is about £72 mil according to transfermarkt.

Wages wise, dunno the numbers but Lukaku, Silva, Gallagher, Sarr and Anjorin are all off the bill and Kepa and Sterlings wages are being paid in part by other teams.

Sancho will likely be first choice on the LW for Chelsea won't he? A position where he was 3rd choice here.

Jackson, Sancho, Palmer, Neto is a dangerous front 4. With Nkunku, Mudryk, Felix, Madueke as back up options.
I can't see him being first choice. I think Neto/Feliz are better and will be ahead of him.

Chelsea fans: Can we please have your 25 man squad in the line-up format? Thanks.

Something like this, with Bettinelli the 3rd choice goalie filling in as the 25th man. Leaves out Chilwell in exile with Chukwuemeka, Washington, Angelo and Casadei.

oJnscV1.png

Of course there are lots of variations with the attacking options, for example Neto/Palmer will also sometimes play on the right wing and Nkunku/Felix can play both LW and up front as well.

Chelsea fans: Can we please have your 25 man squad in the line-up format? Thanks.

Why not.

Sanchez, Jorgensen, Bettinelli

James, Colwill, Fofana, Badiashile, Tosin, Disasi, Cucurella, Gusto, Veiga

Enzo, Caicedo, KDH, Lavia,
Sancho, Mudryk, Palmer, Neto, Madueke, Carney.

Jackson, Nkunku, Guiu

That's 25. We had space for a few more because Gusto, Veiga, Lavia, Guiu and Carney don't need to be listed due to their age.

All reports say the transfer went through, yet I still can't see confirmation from either club. Are they still actually awaiting official ratification from the PL that it went through in time? As neither club seem to have announced it as done yet?

Plenty of reports says the transfer went through, yet I still can't see confirmation from either club. Are they still actually awaiting official ratification from the PL that it went through in time? As neither club seem to be announcing it as done yet?
Wouldn't worry too much, they're probably just taking their time to make a video/graphics etc.

They were also quite busy last night so probably part of it.

Why not.

Jackson, Nkunku, Guiu

That's 25. We had space for a few more because Gusto, Veiga, Lavia, Guiu and Carney don't need to be listed due to their age.

You left out Felix.

Is it right that Arsenal are only paying 50% of Sterling’s wages? Yet they’re now paying Sancho’s wages and committed to £25 million on Sancho next season?

So in PSR terms they’re committed to paying around £100 million over the next three years to have Sancho playing for their club and Sterling for a title rival? Thats assuming Sterling is loaned out on a similar deal for three years.

Is it right that Arsenal are only paying 50% of Sterling’s wages? Yet they’re now paying Sancho’s wages and committed to £25 million on Sancho next season?

So in PSR terms they’re committed to paying around £100 million over the next three years to have Sancho playing for their club and Sterling for a title rival? Thats assuming Sterling is loaned out on a similar deal for three years.
We're not commited to £25 million for Sancho. That's the maximum the fee can be and only if the deal does go through (which is dependent on Chelsea's league position apparently, if we really shit the bed, he doesn't sign).

Regarding Sterling, we don't know the extent of the pay cut he took so the numbers are up in the air but obviously if he's on loan for the next few years with us paying a shit load of wages, that's going to a a huge sum.

Isn't that a stupid assumption though? The only reason the loan deal and wage distribution was as bad as that was because it was left way, way too late in the window to tell him he's not wanted anymore so the options were quite limited. For the next two years it will be clear as day from the get go that he's for sale so there's lots more time to find a solution that works out best for everyone and not just heavily lopsided in the buyer's favor. We found a solution to move on fecking Lukaku for an actual transfer fee while also getting his huge salary off the books completely so I don't see any reason why we couldn't find something less shite than you're describing for Sterling as well.

As for Sancho, there's just not enough information yet on what his salary situation will be. Given the pay structure put in place at Chelsea since the current sporting directors have come in and the meager offers the club were putting in front of Osimhen last night, I would say there's very little chance Sancho is earning anywhere near his Man Utd salary as a base wage. The contract will very likely be heavily incentivized (like all Chelsea contracts in the last 3 windows) where he can earn a ton by playing well but the base salary is much more reasonable. If he's shite he won't earn as much as he could by playing well.

Wouldn't worry too much, they're probably just taking their time to make a video/graphics etc.

They were also quite busy last night so probably part of it.
Chelsea confirmed all the other three late deals that went through - Sterling, Broja, Chalobah. Yet been very quiet on Sancho. And the signing team confirmed those deals as well.

Just seems strange neither club have confirmed it by now.

Chelsea confirmed all the other three late deals that went through - Sterling, Broja, Chalobah. Yet been very quiet on Sancho. And the signing team confirmed those deals as well.

Just seems strange neither club have confirmed it by now.
All outgoings though.

All outgoings though.
Yep. That's why I added all the signing teams also confirmed them as well.

And Sancho is an outgoing for us - so why have we not confirmed it by now? Seems like it's a late deal that is still awaiting ratification to be 100% confirmed. But from all the reporters announcing it as done, sounds like both clubs are confident (while still awaiting official confirmation before announcing it themselves)?

We're not commited to £25 million for Sancho. That's the maximum the fee can be and only if the deal does go through (which is dependent on Chelsea's league position apparently, if we really shit the bed, he doesn't sign).

Regarding Sterling, we don't know the extent of the pay cut he took so the numbers are up in the air but obviously if he's on loan for the next few years with us paying a shit load of wages, that's going to a a huge sum.
It’s a minimum of £20 million, unless you think you’ll finish 15th, which would be far more damaging than whatever the fee for Sancho would be.

Isn't that a stupid assumption though? The only reason the loan deal and wage distribution was as bad as that was because it was left way, way too late in the window to tell him he's not wanted anymore so the options were quite limited. For the next two years it will be clear as day from the get go that he's for sale so there's lots more time to find a solution that works out best for everyone and not just heavily lopsided in the buyer's favor. We found a solution to move on fecking Lukaku for an actual transfer fee while also getting his huge salary off the books completely so I don't see any reason why we couldn't find something less shite than you're describing for Sterling as well.

As for Sancho, there's just not enough information yet on what his salary situation will be. Given the pay structure put in place at Chelsea since the current sporting directors have come in and the meager offers the club were putting in front of Osimhen last night, I would say there's very little chance Sancho is earning anywhere near his Man Utd salary as a base wage. The contract will very likely be heavily incentivized (like all Chelsea contracts in the last 3 windows) where he can earn a ton by playing well but the base salary is much more reasonable. If he's shite he won't earn as much as he could by playing well.
1. Lukaku should be far more in demand because he’s a goal scorer, there’s a lot of Sterling level wide forwards around. Even then it’s taken years to find a buyer. And despite the loan fees, it’s a massive loss.
2. Sterling will be 30 next year and has already shown quite a big decline on his peak. His value is only heading one way, yet his wages are staying the same for two years when he returns.
3. No one is looking to do Chelsea any favours. We’ve seen Sterling, Broja, Chalobah, Kepa all rumoured for transfers and they’ve ended up on loan. Chilwell couldn’t get a loan. Even Petrovic has had to go to Strasbourg right?

If anything it’s more of an assumption that you will find a buyer for Sterling. Even if they do over the next couple of years, you’re still haemorrhaging money until then. You’re hoping that he does well with a title rival so he can be sold for a fee, or wanting him to do bad and lumped with him. The only way out is if he drops his wage demands, which is reportedly why Lukaku has been able to join Napoli.

It’s a minimum of £20 million, unless you think you’ll finish 15th, which would be far more damaging than whatever the fee for Sancho would be.

£20 or £25 million isn't going to be damaging at all of course but it's not guaranteed with this Chelsea that they'll finish in a certain league position, not with the possibility of a points deduction combined with the neverending chaos around the club.

£20 or £25 million isn't going to be damaging at all of course but it's not guaranteed with this Chelsea that they'll finish in a certain league position, not with the possibility of a points deduction combined with the neverending chaos around the club.
Fair enough. I think United are happy enough to save the £13 million in wages, even if it’s only for a year. Which probably says a lot about Sancho.

Not really a fan of these "we can fix you" signings but I guess you have to consider its
  • a relatively low fee at £25m (especially in this market with who you see going for that amount)
  • will take a paycut to fit in
  • is a Chelsea fan and wanted to be here
  • will play under a manager with an actual defined system
  • Mudryk has been awful and Neto is better from the right side
But I still would've preferred to keep Sterling, loan out Mudryk and go for someone next summer if neither showed any improvement.

I'm trying to think of our list of unwanted players that were training apart, and who is left.

Is it just Chilwell and Washington or am I forgetting someone? Chilly will come back into the first team training squad and Washington will maybe go back with the kids.

I'm trying to think of our list of unwanted players that were training apart, and who is left.

Is it just Chilwell and Washington or am I forgetting someone? Chilly will come back into the first team training squad and Washington will maybe go back with the kids.

In terms of senior players its Chilwell and Chukwuemeka. Then you have the likes of Datro Fofana, Washington, and Angelo who would probably play for the U21s if not sold.

Not really a fan of these "we can fix you" signings but I guess you have to consider its
  • a relatively low fee at £25m (especially in this market with who you see going for that amount)
  • will take a paycut to fit in
  • is a Chelsea fan and wanted to be here
  • will play under a manager with an actual defined system
  • Mudryk has been awful and Neto is better from the right side
But I still would've preferred to keep Sterling, loan out Mudryk and go for someone next summer if neither showed any improvement.

I think 'misfit with a point to prove at a decent price' signings can often work out.

In spite of your comment, we do have a playstyle but implementing it has been hard due to squad construction and injuries. Sancho said it best 'we signed the wrong one' for our planned pressing transition based game and he fits better in a possession based team

I think 'misfit with a point to prove at a decent price' signings can often work out.

In spite of your comment, we do have a playstyle but implementing it has been hard due to squad construction and injuries. Sancho said it best 'we signed the wrong one' for our planned pressing transition based game and he fits better in a possession based team

We should start by taking his PS5 away.

That's true, I was watching some of his Bundesliga highlights from his first stint and he was noticeably slimmer back then too. Not great for the style you play with one of the main criticisms that he was quite slow for a winger already.

Why not.

Jackson, Nkunku, Guiu

Colwill too is under 21

I’ve never seen Sancho as better in a possession based team. His short passing isn’t great and he tends to need a bit of time on the ball to pick out a pass. He’s always been more effective in transition based teams against high lines. It’s one of the main issues he had at United - played against deep lining defences he simply doesn’t have the explosiveness or creativity to regularly make a difference.

I think Sancho will be excellent for Chelsea. A technical player in a squad surrounded by technical frontline players.

So in PSR terms they’re committed to paying around £100 million over the next three years to have Sancho playing for their club and Sterling for a title rival? Thats assuming Sterling is loaned out on a similar deal for three year

The numbers I am seeing suggest that in relation to Sterling that a significant element of his overall package ( potentially £300k a week ) was individual and team bonuses which can’t follow him, that Arsenal are paying 50% of his basic wage, Chelsea 25% and Sterling has agreed to take a 25% cut to facilitate the move.
Sterling won’t be back at Chelsea next season playing he will either sign for Arsenal or if he bombs it there he will probably be off to Saudi. There is no where for him to go on loan to outside England
In terms of Sancho we have absolutely no idea what % of his wages Chelsea will be paying or indeed what sort of fee,if there is one or indeed what the obligation to buy is set against.
Just as an aside players that go out on loan from one English club to another English club remain on the home clubs payroll

The numbers I am seeing suggest that in relation to Sterling that a significant element of his overall package ( potentially £300k a week ) was individual and team bonuses which can’t follow him, that Arsenal are paying 50% of his basic wage, Chelsea 25% and Sterling has agreed to take a 25% cut to facilitate the move.
Sterling won’t be back at Chelsea next season playing he will either sign for Arsenal or if he bombs it there he will probably be off to Saudi. There is no where for him to go on loan to outside England
In terms of Sancho we have absolutely no idea what % of his wages Chelsea will be paying or indeed what sort of fee,if there is one or indeed what the obligation to buy is set against.
Just as an aside players that go out on loan from one English club to another English club remain on the home clubs payroll
You seem quite okay to use speculation to paint the Sterling move in a positive light, yet ignore the speculation that Chelsea are covering Sancho’s full wages this year and the obligation is a minimum of £20 million unless you finish 15th or below.

Why on earth would Sterling effectively give up on his playing career and move to Saudi when he is entitled to similar figures for the next two years in London.

Why not.

Jackson, Nkunku, Guiu

Where’s Felix? I feel like even as Chelsea fans you are struggling to keep up with the turnover of players…