Chelsea 2023/24 season thread.

Chelsea agreed to sign robert Sanchez from BHAFC according to ornstein.
Fee is around £25m apparently? Seems fairly steep to me for someone Brighton are clearly keen to move on.

Perhaps tied into the Caicedo deal and we’ll see that fee come down now.

Fee is around £25m apparently? Seems fairly steep to me for someone Brighton are clearly keen to move on.

Perhaps tied into the Caicedo deal and we’ll see that fee come down now.
Bit dodgy. But why would Brighton now lower the transfer fees for caicedo though. They know we are desperate and they already broke gentleman promise to caicedo why not again with chelsea. :lol:

Bit dodgy. But why would Brighton now lower the transfer fees for caicedo though. They know we are desperate and they already broke gentleman promise to caicedo why not again with chelsea. :lol:
Maybe both deals were done at the same time and this one is just being announced first?

More likely that we’ll end up overpaying for Sanchez and then getting shafted on the Caicedo deal anyway though as you say :lol:

Newcastle have agreed a £35-40M fee for Livramento. Chelsea could pocket huge fee here.

Pre season going well for them

Given the sheer lengths you're known to resort to try and discredit not only us but almost any non United team the fact this is the best/only thing you can come up with kind pretty much proves our pre season has gone pretty well :lol:

Did they break a gentleman's promise to Caicedo? I had read it was a promise to let him go to a club playing in the Champions League.

Did they break a gentleman's promise to Caicedo? I had read it was a promise to let him go to a club playing in the Champions League.
Oh is it? Then he should go to cl club. Good caicedo saga was over then. Thank feck.

Is there a chance they could end up with even more players in their squad from last year?

Nkunku out injured for a while would be a big blow I think, suddenly the attack quality goes down a notch and it's more based on potential.

I'm pretty skeptical at this point.
From the outside looking in it looks like a high budget QPR or Nottingham Forest from last season. We'll see what happens over the month with transfers and how the younger midfielders start the season proper. I think expecting nkunku or the even younger, less established forwards to settle, score and play well every week with a patchwork, dysfunctional midfield behind is a bit of pipe dream. Same with the defence and Kepa. They could all do well and perform individually but if they get no support they'll concede and look amateurish. I think they need to bite the bullet and pay up for Caicedo. Theres other options at that price range that might be better but they need someone.
The fitness of James and Chilwell could be really important.
Putting together the spine of a team and a gameplan and competing for a champions league spot would be a good season. It has definite potential to be another disaster but i think Poch is a good choice and they should avoid it.

I'm pretty skeptical at this point.
From the outside looking in it looks like a high budget QPR or Nottingham Forest from last season. We'll see what happens over the month with transfers and how the younger midfielders start the season proper. I think expecting nkunku or the even younger, less established forwards to settle, score and play well every week with a patchwork, dysfunctional midfield behind is a bit of pipe dream. Same with the defence and Kepa. They could all do well and perform individually but if they get no support they'll concede and look amateurish. I think they need to bite the bullet and pay up for Caicedo. Theres other options at that price range that might be better but they need someone.
The fitness of James and Chilwell could be really important.
Putting together the spine of a team and a gameplan and competing for a champions league spot would be a good season. It has definite potential to be another disaster but i think Poch is a good choice and they should avoid it.

Is Caicedo that good? For me he still needs to do a lot more before he becomes a player commanding £80m+. Additionally, a question I have always had is how comes James hasn't been tried out in (defensive) midfield? For me he seems a bit wasted in a RB/RWB position.

No, because they owe a large percentage of the money they get for Caicedo to his Ecuadorian team.

any “extra” money in the seemingly steep price for Sanchez they keep outright.

Is there a chance they could end up with even more players in their squad from last year?
We are buying players for more than one squad now.

Part of me would prefer the Paredes deal; a solid, veteran presence that knows the coach, what he wants in his systems, and is familiar with his pivot partner… while also not suffocating the growth of Andrey Santos.

You pay 100m for a 21year … they are gonna get every game and every first look.

Is Caicedo that good? For me he still needs to do a lot more before he becomes a player commanding £80m+. Additionally, a question I have always had is how comes James hasn't been tried out in (defensive) midfield? For me he seems a bit wasted in a RB/RWB position.
I dont know to be honest, its a gamble but probably no more than Tchouameni was last season and it goes without saying that they need to overpay to get him.
Their midfield just looks a bit thin to me. I wont pretend to have an opinion on Santos but i'd say theres already enough or too many positions being filled by relative novices throughout the team. Someone like paredes would make more sense to me but maybe they value the mobility caicedo offers compared to others.
They should be shopping around at this point because their options would be pretty open for 100m.

There's going to be an overbooked Easy Jet flight from London to Strasbourg very soon

Nkunku out injured for a while would be a big blow I think, suddenly the attack quality goes down a notch and it's more based on potential.
If nkunku out injured for a while squad wise will be a big blow indeed. But we were comfortable against dortmund even after he was subbed off early.

Pochettino impressed me the way he drilled the team even he changed the shape and subbed off entire team yet team performance not changed much.

Though nkunku injury(still not confirmed hope he is okay) was not ideal, we can cope with it in my opinion.

Last edited:
Do they have the youngest first team in the PL now, even with a near 40-year-old Thiago Silva?

Do they have the youngest first team in the PL now, even with a near 40-year-old Thiago Silva?

It's close in terms of team, I've taken Arsenal as they were up there with youngest last season. In terms of full squad you would think Chelsea would be younger

Kepa - 28
James - 23
Silva - 38
Colwell - 20
Chilwell - 26
Enzo - 22
Gallagher - 23
Chukwuemeka - 19
Nkunku - 25
Jackson - 22
Sterling - 28

Average Age 24.9

Ramsdale - 25
White - 25
Saliba - 22
Gabriel - 25
Zinchenko - 26
Partey - 30
Rice - 24
Odegaard - 24
Saka - 21
Jesus - 26
Martinelli - 22

Avg Age 24.5.

Is there an easy way to see the Chelsea In/Out over the last season or so with cost amounts?

It's mind-blowing. I'm sure most of their supporters can'e even keep up.

It's close in terms of team, I've taken Arsenal as they were up there with youngest last season. In terms of full squad you would think Chelsea would be younger

Kepa - 28
James - 23
Silva - 38
Colwell - 20
Chilwell - 26
Enzo - 22
Gallagher - 23
Chukwuemeka - 19
Nkunku - 25
Jackson - 22
Sterling - 28

Average Age 24.9

Ramsdale - 25
White - 25
Saliba - 22
Gabriel - 25
Zinchenko - 26
Partey - 30
Rice - 24
Odegaard - 24
Saka - 21
Jesus - 26
Martinelli - 22

Avg Age 24.5.
I will give mudryk or maatsen starting role than sterling considering how they performed in preseason. Understood he is one of experienced and you picked him.

But if pochettino picked team on merit I would say maatsen and mudryk did lot better than sterling. Eventually they will take sterling place anyway if he is not improving considerably.

Otherwise that's good team to go against liverpool. Still I would make gusto as RB and play Reece in DM position instead of gallagher especially against liverpool.

Is there an easy way to see the Chelsea In/Out over the last season or so with cost amounts?

It's mind-blowing. I'm sure most of their supporters can'e even keep up.
Transfermarkt.com is the best place for such kind of stats, I believe.

Kepa - 28
James - 23
Silva - 38
Colwell - 20
Chilwell - 26
Enzo - 22
Gallagher - 23
Chukwuemeka - 19
Nkunku - 25
Jackson - 22
Sterling - 28

Average Age 24.9

Ramsdale - 25
White - 25
Saliba - 22
Gabriel - 25
Zinchenko - 26
Partey - 30
Rice - 24
Odegaard - 24
Saka - 21
Jesus - 26
Martinelli - 22

Avg Age 24.5.
Thanks for those figures.

Once again I hope they fail spectacularly

watching their highlight against Dortmund, it came down to me that they're very workmanlike team. Just very little creativity in attack and midfield. I think if they don't bring a more creative player, they will struggle again.

watching their highlight against Dortmund, it came down to me that they're very workmanlike team. Just very little creativity in attack and midfield. I think if they don't bring a more creative player, they will struggle again.

The pitch was awful, an genuine disgrace, players were very clearly playing within themselves, but that said we still created 3-4 very very good chances. It was a good attacking performance for me.

The pitch was awful, an genuine disgrace, players were very clearly playing within themselves, but that said we still created 3-4 very very good chances. It was a good attacking performance for me.

Hopefully Poch is also satisfied with his current squad.

Last edited:
I thought Chalobah would have been moved on at this point. Not because I think he is bad to have on the squad, but because I think he wants to be the first choice option at his position, and by the time that would happen I get the feeling some would prefer Bashir.

The one thing I don’t want is a lot of people hanging around the clubhouse that don’t want to be there.Same with Gallagher: happy to have him, unless he’s unhappy with role and doesn’t see a path forward.

As much as it always hurts to be buying back your own players …. Again, Olise would make sense as s quality starter or option in the forward middle or on the right.

People have said : I’m surprised they haven’t shopped Sterling. My guess would be they quietly did, they didn’t get a ton of nibbles at his wages, and they only have the energy for so many emergency sell offs.

Cucurella and Sterling moved on, Olise and and Caicedo added. Lukaku never mentioned again. I would be pretty happy with the squad then.

Just when we thought it couldn't get worse for Chelsea with Nkunku's injury, we get this news...

The Change.org petition (for him to never ref Chelsea games) is up to over 160,000 now.

Just when we thought it couldn't get worse for Chelsea with Nkunku's injury, we get this news...

The Change.org petition (for him to never ref Chelsea games) is up to over 160,000 now.

I always find he’s worse at your own teams home games as well. It’s as if he sets out to make the wrong calls against the crowd noise to show how strong of a ref he is.
How he still has a job when he marched our wall back 16 odd yards for a free kick and refused to acknowledge the error simply because Eriksen pointed it out is beyond me.

Fro the squad number nerds...

No number 4 or 9.

Mudryk taking 10 and Colwill JTs old number.

Chelsea’s 2023/24 squad numbers in full
1 - Kepa Arrizabalaga
2 - Axel Disasi
3 - Marc Cucurella
5 - Benoit Badiashile
6 - Thiago Silva
7 - Raheem Sterling
8 - Enzo Fernandez
10 - Mykhailo Mudryk
11 - Noni Madueke
13 - Marcus Bettinelli
14 - Trevoh Chalobah