Cheering on Liverpool - 2017/18 edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perception means a lot in football. Opposition teams will go into future games with a little more belief.
I hope you're right. But thoughts and prayers are hypothetical. The fact is City have lost 1 game & it's not that they've been drawing a lot either. We need to take initiative and win all our games with other teams dropping points.

What if we didn't lose tomorrow and because City lost this game the wheels came off and they drop a load of points. Would you still have this "top red" attitude towards everyone else who wants that scenario to happen?
Thanks for the patronizing tone, mate.

And no I wouldn't. But, City are barely within sight. They don't give off the impression that they're gonna lose many points. It's Pool, Chelsea & Spurs we should be wary of.

Why is it so strange ? I mean they have finished ahead of us last season no ? They are very close to us now no ?

Yeah I'm worried about the team who's level on points with us overtaking us. We also have Burnley and Spurs away coming up while they got easy games. Also, not like Liverpool finished above us just last season and have a far superior attack to ours, no?
Liverpool finished above us last season because we effectively downed tools in the league from April. Anyway this is not last season. We are a far better team than Liverpool, one good performance by them doesn't change that. If we win tomorrow we'll be 12 points behind City and they still have difficult places to go to. I know it's less than a 1% chance it happens but I still hold out hope for a City capitulation and us taking advantage of that.

Psychologically it's a big deal City not going unbeaten, not only in the PL but in other competitions as well. So for me, I'm glad that City lost because I'm not worried about Liverpool, we are a superior team to them and will finish higher than them.

And no I wouldn't. But, City are barely within sight. They don't give off the impression that they're gonna lose many points. It's Pool, Chelsea & Spurs we should be wary of.

This is the only right answer. Those who wanted liverpool to win because of a "slight chance" of catching city are welcome to join us others in reality anytime soon.

Won't pretend to have seen all the games, but from what i did see of liverpool, chelsea, united and spurs, the eye test says liverpool are comfortably the second best team in the league

Liverpool finished above us last season because we effectively downed tools in the league from April. Anyway this is not last season. We are a far better team than Liverpool, one good performance by them doesn't change that. If we win tomorrow we'll be 12 points behind City and they still have difficult places to go to. I know it's less than a 1% chance it happens but I still hold out hope for a City capitulation and us taking advantage of that.

Psychologically it's a big deal City not going unbeaten, not only in the PL but in other competitions as well. So for me, I'm glad that City lost because I'm not worried about Liverpool, we are a superior team to them and will finish higher than them.

Lol yeah that's all it was. Not United being gash in the league pretty much all season.

Sorry lads, I really wanted Liverpool to win since it's only in our hands to keep them below us and seeing City finally lose was absolutely fecking brilliant, no regrets whatsoever.

I didn't cheer for them, just wanted to see City's run ending.

Now they can both fe.k of.

United fans beating each other over the head for each other's temerity in hoping that either City or Liverpool win. Such shite. Both viewpoints are valid. How you can be slating people for still holding out the faint hope that City fold is beyond me. Look at the absolute state of their defence there. Anything can happen. It probably won't but you can't tell me that getting a stuffing like that on the same weekend as we wallop Stoke and sign Sanchez mightn't have some impact on the more mentally suspect of their players. Hope springs eternal, lads

If Liverpool catch us, it won't be due to them beating City.

This.

I bet Fergie would still be aiming for the title at this point, and if we win again relegation zone Stoke tomorrow, we are closer to it than before.

If we beat citeh later in the season, then we're closer still.

Don't get me wrong, I want Liverpool to lose every fecking game from now onwards (and I would've been happy with a draw or a Liverpool loss today), but as the game unfolded, I have to admit that I enjoyed watching citeh lose.

This is the only right answer. Those who wanted liverpool to win because of a "slight chance" of catching city are welcome to join us others in reality anytime soon.
Some of us want to try and enjoy the rest of the season until it's mathematically impossible not to anymore. No point in being depressed, bitter and angry for the next few months is there?

No one on here wanted Liverpool to win today because they support and love everything about Liverpool FC. Chill out a bit.

Did you miss both the goals in the 1999 Champions League final as well? Turn it off because 'Ah, there's only a slight chance we'll get back into this game'.

Sorry, didn't mean to patronise but just because some people want the find a reason to watch the coming weekends PL without being miserable doesn't mean we don't hate Liverpool for the shithouse club they are. We're going to finish in the top 4 regardless this season, we're too good not to. 2nd place or 3rd place doesn't really matter if City win by a clear 15 points. Both spots are automatic qualification. At this stage with them being so far in front, the only enjoyment we get is the hope that they just might implode and lose the biggest lead in PL history.

Some of us want to try and enjoy the rest of the season until it's mathematically impossible not to anymore. No point in being depressed, bitter and angry for the next few months is there?

No one on here wanted Liverpool to win today because they support and love everything about Liverpool FC. Chill out a bit.

Did you miss both the goals in the 1999 Champions League final as well? Turn it off because 'Ah, there's only a slight chance we'll get back into this game'.

Sorry, didn't mean to patronise but just because some people want the find a reason to watch the coming weekends PL without being miserable doesn't mean we don't hate Liverpool for the shithouse club they are. We're going to finish in the top 4 regardless this season, we're too good not to. 2nd place or 3rd place doesn't really matter if City win by a clear 15 points. Both spots are automatic qualification. At this stage with them being so far in front, the only enjoyment we get is the hope that they just might implode and lose the biggest lead in PL history.

I don't blame those wanting Liverpool to win because I see their logic and their optimism as far as a title challenge is concerned, but still feels like shit when Liverpool win.

United fans beating each other over the head for each other's temerity in hoping that either City or Liverpool win. Such shite. Both viewpoints are valid. How you can be slating people for still holding out the faint hope that City fold is beyond me. Look at the absolute state of their defence there. Anything can happen. It probably won't but you can't tell me that getting a stuffing like that on the same weekend as we wallop Stoke and sign Sanchez mightn't have some impact on the more mentally suspect of their players. Hope springs eternal, lads
People trying to prove their "top reds" because they would never hope Liverpool win any game, ever. Need to lighten up a bit. They'll be buzzing their cocks off if this impacts City in anyway.

Utter nonsense, that was needing ONE goal - not 12 points. 4-0 down and I would have turned off, hell yes.

Since they couldn't both lose, I'd have rather City won since we can't catch them anyway. Was a great game though. Slightly envious of both sides for the entertainment value.

So that's how you beat City. Forcing mistakes from their center backs. Thanks Xavi and Klopp!

Utter nonsense, that was needing ONE goal - not 12 points. 4-0 down and I would have turned off, hell yes.
Stranger things have happened mate! I know it's the hope that kills you but you could at least be the slightest bit happy that we could close the gap by three points tomorrow. Football is all about momentum and if we go on a winning run now (with/ Sanchez coming in :nervous:) literally anything could happen. This City team isn't exactly made out of stone wall winners. They're fecking soft. Once Pep cracks they're done.

If you say so :) The match day thread outed your true colours today though ;)
No, i just had a lot of money on liverpool winning 4-1 :D (ffs)

As i said, i haven't seen all the games so i might be wrong, but that's my impression

That liverpool have been unlucky in a couple games :D

I suggest you watch Liverpool more regularly, mate.

They've drawn against Watford, Burnley, Newcastle, Everton, West Brom, Arse, Utd and Chelsea.

And been thrashed by City (5-0) and Spurs (4-1)

They're a shower of shite at the back and a mess when defending any kind of lead.

Funny?! Christ. It’s been excruciating. Yet another week avoiding all football coverage in the press, while journos wanks themselves into a coma over a team I despise. City’s plaudits have been painful enough this season. And now this. FML.
A dour, terrible 0-0 would have been much preferable in this context.

I suggest you watch Liverpool more regularly, mate.

They've drawn against Watford, Burnley, Newcastle, Everton, West Brom, Arse, Utd and Chelsea.

And been thrashed by City (5-0) and Spurs (4-1)

They're a shower of shite at the back and a mess when defending any kind of lead.
I admit i haven't seen all the games and most of their games i saw were at anfield, where they really are fantastic. They create chances at a higher rate and with greater ease than any other team bar city, and they concede fewer chances than anyone else bar city

They have a soft underbelly, can't manage games and are full of error prone players, sure. Away they're prone to the odd bad game. Still, at their best i think they're the second best team in the league

That comment was obviously tongue in cheeck btw

PS i still think you'll finish ahead of them

Liverpool have been the in-form team for the last few weeks and I really worry they could overtake us in the next month, unless we actually get Sanchez (!!!). Don't understand how anyone could have cheered for them today as in reality, there is almost 0% chance we catch up with Man City.

Liverpool will roll over, 'Godiola' praises Plopp for 'playing the right way'.

Liverpool fans will rather lose to citeh because they know citeh going undefeated all season bothers United and they are that pathetic.
Gutted we won today. I don't care that we're level on points with Man Utd and Chelsea and 3 ahead of Spurs because I wanted to see Utd fans faces when City went all season unbeaten! Damn it Jurgen!

People trying to prove their "top reds" because they would never hope Liverpool win any game, ever. Need to lighten up a bit. They'll be buzzing their cocks off if this impacts City in anyway.

Obviously a massive if at this point in preceedings, but I'll take anything that adds meaning to the remainder of the season. Seeing them wobble even a little bit over the next few weeks will make things interesting.

It's okay. It's understandable that folks want City to stumble in their tracks. If Pool winning benefitted us, a lot of us would swallow our prides. However in this case, their win edged them closer. So, I can't see your perspective. Maybe, I need to cool down first :)

But we really aren't. Where is this coming from ? It's not the fact that they beat City, it's the fact we're on the same number of points tonight (with 1 game in hand). What makes us "far better" than them ?

But we really aren't. Where is this coming from ? It's not the fact that they beat City, it's the fact we're on the same number of points tonight (with 1 game in hand). What makes us "far better" than them ?

Defensively speaking United are superior both in terms of individual ability and as a unit. Liverpool will continue to concede silly goals all season which will see them drop points.

Klopp is tactically naive. Granted today he looks like a genius in that department but it could have been very different if the City players bothered to show up. Aguero was particularly poor yet again.

Liverpool are known for their game raising ability. We United fans have seen it on many occasions, the City fans have too. Liverpool have lost only once in over a decade to City at Anfield. They could and very likely will fail in their next game.

We are on the verge of signing a genuine match winner in Sanchez, Liverpool have just lost their most influential player on Coutinho.

They will not overtake us.

Massive overreaction, as standard. Most united fans accept Liverpool as the biggest rival and most detestable club. But us finishing ahead of them isn't going to be dependent on today's result. In the bigger picture Man City's unbeaten run was becoming irritating especially when many felt they are certainly not the invincible force that we are being forced to believe. Getting satisfaction in Liverpool beating them isn't a mortal sin. Different question if there was something on the line for us, e.g.- I'd rather finish fifth and see city lose than finish fourth and see them unbeaten.

Today was win win or lose lose for us today depending on your perspective, but ultimately satisfying to see smug city lose and liverpools pathetic frailties exposed despite their good win

Defensively speaking United are superior both in terms of individual ability and as a unit. Liverpool will continue to concede silly goals all season which will see them drop points.

Klopp is tactically naive. Granted today he looks like a genius in that department but it could have been very different if the City players bothered to show up. Aguero was particularly poor yet again.

Liverpool are known for their game raising ability. We United fans have seen it on many occasions, the City fans have too. Liverpool have lost only once in over a decade to City at Anfield. They could and very likely will fail in their next game.

We are on the verge of signing a genuine match winner in Sanchez, Liverpool have just lost their most influential player on Coutinho.

They will not overtake us.
I understand the view that says that Utd is better but I mean "far better" is a stretch. All it's based on it's speculation turned in a positive light about how their season and ours might unfold till the end. I'm just talking about simple facts, there isn't much between the teams in terms of points, they drew, almost identitical goal difference.
That just cannot equal being far better than them I'm sorry.

Funny?! Christ. It’s been excruciating. Yet another week avoiding all football coverage in the press, while journos wanks themselves into a coma over a team I despise. City’s plaudits have been painful enough this season. And now this. FML.

Well I find a team (who as you say, everybody is convinced are the greatest ever to play the game) literally giving the ball straight to opposition attackers to score 4 (Mane managed to miss one of them) times in 10 minutes pretty funny, whoever it is (unless it's us, obviously).

Well I find a team (who as you say, everybody is convinced are the greatest ever to play the game) literally giving the ball straight to opposition attackers to score 4 (Mane managed to miss one of them) times in 10 minutes pretty funny, whoever it is (unless it's us, obviously).
That was ridiculous. This is the limit of Pep's football and it's reached some stupid height there. There is nothing with clearing the ball at times.

I understand the view that says that Utd is better but I mean "far better" is a stretch. All it's based on it's speculation turned in a positive light about how their season and ours might unfold till the end. I'm just talking about simple facts, there isn't much between the teams in terms of points, they drew, almost identitical goal difference.
That just cannot equal being far better than them I'm sorry.
Fair enough if that's your point of view. I can see where you are coming from but I think our 3 draws in the Christmas period notwithstanding we have had a better season than Liverpool so far. The City defeat knocked the stuffing out of our players, it was evident in the wins against WBA and Bournemouth and it became quite clear in the 3 games we drew afterwards. But before those games I don't think anyone here would be disputing the fact that Utd are a better team than Liverpool.

It now looks as though we are getting over the City defeat (hopefully the Dubai trip will help in refocusing the players), and we should see the team playing to its full potential, which to me atleast, is higher than that of Liverpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.