Champions League Round of 16 (13th Feb - 14th Mar)

I think Chelsea might potentially give them a decent game tonight but over two legs struggle to see anything other than Barca going through.

They're playing with Fabre and Kante in midfield. Fabre is pretty much useless on defensive side in this formation and Kante will be a one man midfield against the whole Barca midfield. Good luck.

Our midfield isn't that scary anymore, I don't think we're too far ahead from Spurs, and certainly not City level, everything there depends on Messi (or Iniesta 5 times a year).

After all the talk about who would start out of Giroud and Morata it turns out Conte doesn't have faith in either of them for this game. Ideally you'd want a striker to be playing but time will tell if that's the right call.

Yeah, for as much as he's not going to want to go all-out attack, I do think they need to be aiming for a win tonight; don't think their defence is really reliable enough to be able to go away to the Nou Camp and try to keep it tight for a full game.

Our midfield isn't that scary anymore, I don't think we're too far ahead from Spurs, and certainly not City level, everything there depends on Messi (or Iniesta 5 times a year).

Plus I'd say a high-pressing workhorse like Kante is exactly the type of player you want in midfield when coming up against a club notorious for their ability to keep the ball.

Yeah, for as much as he's not going to want to go all-out attack, I do think they need to be aiming for a win tonight; don't think their defence is really reliable enough to be able to go away to the Nou Camp and try to keep it tight for a full game.
With that lineup I can see Chelsea being completely starved of possession. Kante will need to have the game of his life given how poor Fabregas is playing deeper.

You don't need to be scary. Kante will get outnumbered today.

DWf7HGUWAAMX1kU.jpg

Rudy, Bernat and Thiago (just came back from injury) did not make the bench.

Ulreich
Kimmich - Boateng - Hummels - Alaba
Martinez - Vidal
Müller - James - Coman
Lewandowski​

I like that lineup, but Rudy and Thiago not being in the squad is a bit of a bummer.

Plus I'd say a high-pressing workhorse like Kante is exactly the type of player you want in midfield when coming up against a club notorious for their ability to keep the ball.
However, not with midfield 2 and Cesc as his partner. I meant look at it like this: Barcelona ain't no ordinary team who is prone to concede possession against pressing. Pressing may stifle their flow a bit but not entirely nullify their team. They are very good at keeping possession and have players up front who can punish if they're allowed sufficient room. Chelsea couldn't press against City and Tottenham, now we're talking about Barcelona.

I am not saying Chelsea wouldn't try since I believe Pedro and Willian would stay more centrally and chip in defensive duty with their workrate. I am saying, Kante would need to play a calmer role and be disciplined to babysit Cesc than playing his preferred way. Cesc to cover the back 3 alone against the like of Messi, Suarez, Iniesta would be disaster

Last edited:
Just watched goals in our CL finals against Barca, van der Sar was really poor for pretty much every goal they scored out of 5 in those two finals, especially for the last final we played.

Interesting line ups. Fabregas is a weak link defensively and Barcelona need to exploit that, Kante is a monster but there will still be space in the midfield for Messi to get the ball between the lines. On the other hand this Barcelona midfield aren't as good on the ball as they used to be and if they make mistakes Chelsea will be very dangerous on the counter. I don't remember Hazard as a false 9 ever really working and I think Morata would be perfect for a game like this but we'll see.

I think this Barcelona team can be troubled by high press so Chelsea should come out and try to force some mistakes even if it's just for the start of the game.

Prediction: 2-1 to Barcelona, Paulinho to score.

Dont know what people is seeing. Conte has put a pretty attacking line-up. Obiously he doesnt want his best attacking player tracking back Sergi Roberto, so he had no other option that putting Hazard as striker (without changing the system).

Morata on the bench for a CL knockout tie and against Barça on top of that.
Why did he leave Madrid again?

I like that lineup, but Rudy and Thiago not being in the squad is a bit of a bummer.
I understand Thiago (just played his first game in three months) and who would you leave out for Rudy? It’s so strange having only one player injured for the KO stages.
I also expect it to be a 4-1-4-1 rather than a 4-2-3-1.

I mean going into the game at home with no striker upfront when you have £100 worth of forwards on the bench is wank and too cowardly for my liking.

They're not great but surely worth more than 100 pound.

Since when playing with no strikers is equal to park the bus?

It's more the personnel they're going with. Three speedy wingers up top. There's no doubt that they're going to sit back, defend and try and counter attack.

No way they're going out there to play Barcelona at their own game.

I understand Thiago (just played his first game in three months) and who would you leave out for Rudy?
Well, I'd be okay with leaving out Vidal. Better to not rely on him (i.e. him staying on over the full stretch) for the important games.

It's more the personnel they're going with. Three speedy wingers up top. There's no doubt that they're going to sit back, defend and try and counter attack.

So then they are soaking pressure and counter attacking. It’s not parking the bus.

So then they are soaking pressure and counter attacking. It’s not parking the bus.

Meh. For all intents and purposes it's the same thing. You're going out there not to try and score but to try and stop the opposition from scoring.

Actually I am not impressed with this Barcelona team, far away from Guardiola or Villanova, maybe with Coutinho or Dembelé they will improve, who knows.

Chelsea look very solid in team selection and I think this will be tight

could be some magic from Hazard or Messi that decides it

Always terrifying to play Barca, but I am strangely optimistic about this one. Christensen back, Hazard white hot of late, and a couple ex-La Masia grads to provide some necessary nous. I fancy a score draw.

Is that the ref that sent Nani off? Possibly the worst ref around Chelsea will be fuming by the end of this game.

Hazard's future depends on this game, If he plays well despite the result he will get his move from chelsea to Real. If he doesnt he will be stuck with chelsea.

Why the booing of the Champions League anthem? Have suddenly City fans turned back to supporting Chelsea again after last night?

cnut cakir is refereeing this game? Good luck Barca, that guy is madrid through and through.