Champions League Round of 16 (13th Feb - 14th Mar)

Should be some colossal face offs in the quarter finals! Mouth watering stuff.
Just hope United are switched on and we're in there!

Imagine 4 English clubs, Barcelona, Real/PSG, Bayern, and one other.

You'd want to be drawing the "One other" for certain!!
Maybe not if it’s Juventus.

Roma/Shakhtar. Real will get them.

That's what I've been saying. Most teams see 'Real Madrid' and they get scared. Real see 'Barcelona' and get scared :D
We have some psychological voodoo over them. Last season’s Barcelona was the worst Barca in a decade. We played Real at the Bernabeu, Neymar was missing and Paco played on the left instead. We still won somehow. :lol:

I would also give Jupp’s Bayern a solid chance of beating Madrid. Bayern sometimes lack composure under pressure, but their midfield (Martinez-Vidal-Thiago-James) is the only one in the world that can match Real Madrid’s midfield technically and physically.

If we get through against Juve, then I wouldn't at all mind Spurs having another two games against Real Madrid.

People talk about City spending so much especially on defenders but, looking at PSG you see why. City are trying to build a complete team. PSG have spent so much on attacking players but, they have been almost stingy elsewhere. Celso starting in midfield in the biggest match of the season, Yuri at LB, they had to bring in Diarra who was without a club for depth. Since Leonardo left they have not done a great job at signing non attacking positions.

People talk about City spending so much especially on defenders but, looking at PSG you see why. City are trying to build a complete team. PSG have spent so much on attacking players but, they have been almost stingy elsewhere. Celso starting in midfield in the biggest match of the season, Yuri at LB, they had to bring in Diarra who was without a club for depth. Since Leonardo left they have not done a great job at signing non attacking positions.

Tbf to them they have some very good midfield players and also youngsters.

They had Thiago Silva on the bench and they have Verratti and Rabiot as starting midfielders. Teams would have to spend nearly 150 Million for that midfield pair and they got them for 10-12 Million.

They don't have to spend on non attacking areas. Marquinhos kimpembe thiago silva meunier alves kurzawa is a brilliant rearguard.

I just found out Higuain had scored only two goals ever in the CL knockout rounds, prior to his brace against Spurs. He scored both of those against Monaco in the semis last year.

I just found out Higuain had scored only two goals ever in the CL knockout rounds, prior to his brace against Spurs. He scored both of those against Monaco in the semis last year.

Not true. He now has 6 in 18 in the CL knockouts. Not a great record, but not awful either.

Dybala yes
Matuidi no

I can’t wait for the return leg of Tottenham vs Juventus. It feels like that game is going all the way until the end.

Matuidi is working to be back for the second leg, according to Italian media.

The UEFA website says he has 22 goals in 74 games. Can't find his other two CL knockout goals.
CSKA in '12 and galatasaray in '13. He's played more than 18 though. At least 20 for us(not all starts) alone

We have some psychological voodoo over them. Last season’s Barcelona was the worst Barca in a decade. We played Real at the Bernabeu, Neymar was missing and Paco played on the left instead. We still won somehow. :lol:

I would also give Jupp’s Bayern a solid chance of beating Madrid. Bayern sometimes lack composure under pressure, but their midfield (Martinez-Vidal-Thiago-James) is the only one in the world that can match Real Madrid’s midfield technically and physically.
Which is why I hope that if Real manage to get to the final, the other team is Barcelona. Otherwise you may as well hand over the trophy to them again in that scenario. How Atletico managed to screw up against Real I'll never know. Juve last year annoyed me too how they collapsed in the final.

Not true. He now has 6 in 18 in the CL knockouts. Not a great record, but not awful either.

Higuain actually has 6 goals in 27 games in the knockouts which is pretty bad. Played 1667 minutes in total, so he scores once every 278 minutes in the CL knockouts.

If we get through against Juve, then I wouldn't at all mind Spurs having another two games against Real Madrid.
I’d really like to see that tie. Spurs are the best side I’ve seen come to Anfield in a long time. I actually think it’s overstated how much you might suffer if Kane or Eriksen left (not that I believe they will any time soon) because of the strength of the system Pochettino has put in place. On Poch’ I think he too would be mad to leave. I know the fans love him, and he has the rare chance, with the support of Levy and the board, to build something lasting. This should never be overlooked, the human factor I mean, when people glibly suggest that everyone is the same, and would jump at the chance of going to a Real Madrid or Bayern, let alone a PSG. For what it’s worth, the way you’re playing at the moment, I don’t think anyone will be looking forward to playing you in the CL. Still, the Juve tie is nicely poised. Be interesting to see how both sides approach the Wembley match.

The UEFA website says he has 22 goals in 74 games. Can't find his other two CL knockout goals.

CSKA in '12 and galatasaray in '13. He's played more than 18 though. At least 20 for us(not all starts) alone

Higuain actually has 6 goals in 27 games in the knockouts which is pretty bad. Played 1667 minutes in total, so he scores once every 278 minutes in the CL knockouts.

My bad, I read 18 somewhere. Maybe it’s 18 starts. Not very good for a striker of his caliber regardless.

I’d really like to see that tie. Spurs are the best side I’ve seen come to Anfield in a long time. I actually think it’s overstated how much you might suffer if Kane or Eriksen left (not that I believe they will any time soon) because of the strength of the system Pochettino has put in place. On Poch’ I think he too would be mad to leave. I know the fans love him, and he has the rare chance, with the support of Levy and the board, to build something lasting. This should never be overlooked, the human factor I mean, when people glibly suggest that everyone is the same, and would jump at the chance of going to a Real Madrid or Bayern, let alone a PSG. For what it’s worth, the way you’re playing at the moment, I don’t think anyone will be looking forward to playing you in the CL. Still, the Juve tie is nicely poised. Be interesting to see how both sides approach the Wembley match.

I agree, if Spurs see off Juventus no one will be drawing them in the CL and thinking they have got an easy pass to the next round. They have been well up for the competition this year and in great form, dispatching RM and Dortmund.

The European sides have all looked really uncomfortable under the stifling high pressing style from the main users of it in the EPL Liverpool and Spurs. I also like how Spurs have actually approached some games with a totally different tactic to that all out aggressive pressing style 100% of the time. Being happy to cede possession and hit on the counter in certain matches, Poch maturing as a manager?

Having said that City are still the best of the EPL teams.

I agree, if Spurs see off Juventus no one will be drawing them in the CL and thinking they have got an easy pass to the next round. They have been well up for the competition this year and in great form, dispatching RM and Dortmund.

The European sides have all looked really uncomfortable under the stifling high pressing style from the main users of it in the EPL Liverpool and Spurs. I also like how Spurs have actually approached some games with a totally different tactic to that all out aggressive pressing style 100% of the time. Being happy to cede possession and hit on the counter in certain matches, Poch maturing as a manager?

Having said that City are still the best of the EPL teams.

That’s a really interesting point about the pressing style being altered slightly. I too have really noticed this at Liverpool. We actually set particular and specific traps, for the side in possession. It was at its most effective for 60-70 mins against Man City, and then the first half against you lot. I don’t know if you’ve seen Poch’ play a similar way? I imagine that he’s evolving your style in his own, inimitable fashion. :) One of the things that has stood out I think, is how we will cede possession by playing very risky passes, especially through the lines, and then press. If we win it back, we’re generally high up and if the ball is not originally lost, then we’re in a good attacking position. Klopp has also rotated a lot this season to cope with ‘burn out’ etc. Earlier in the season it, at times just appeared to be overkill and was at times, very frustrating. I am generally pleased so far, touch wood (touches forehead) with the progress we’ve made so far. I imagine you are too - Remember, you desperately need that League cup win, or Poch’ is Tim Sherwood with nicer hair.

of course Poch's been adapting. Take a look at the possession numbers in the first game against dortmund or both against madrid. They sat deep and didn't begin pressing until the ball was in midfield, except in rare spurts or when they saw a chance to push higher. Did the same against you at wembley as well

of course Poch's been adapting. Take a look at the possession numbers in the first game against dortmund or both against madrid. They sat deep and didn't begin pressing until the ball was in midfield, except in rare spurts or when they saw a chance to push higher. Did the same against you at wembley as well

I just recall watching a few Spurs games and they played one way, seemed like they had no variance or plan B. Rather than approach different matches with a different tactic, they went on the road and got beaten still trying to play that ultra aggressive press. You leave yourself open if your press gets broken. Some games require you to sit deep and defend for some periods, even for whole games. And play on the break, look to sneak a goal, people will argue I guess it's a negative way to play but if it gets you a result they cant have too much to complain about.

I just recall watching a few Spurs games and they played one way, seemed like they had no variance or plan B. Rather than approach different matches with a different tactic, they went on the road and got beaten still trying to play that ultra aggressive press. You leave yourself open if your press gets broken. Some games require you to sit deep and defend for some periods, even for whole games. And play on the break, look to sneak a goal, people will argue I guess it's a negative way to play but if it gets you a result they cant have too much to complain about.
That's what they did against liverpool, real madrid(twice) and borussia dortmund. And nobody even called them negative because they won 3 of those games, were able to create a lot of chances and were aggressive in their own half

That's what they did against liverpool, real madrid(twice) and borussia dortmund. And nobody even called them negative because they won 3 of those games, were able to create a lot of chances and were aggressive in their own half

Poch definitely evolved beyond his tactical stubborness. Tottenham at full strength are a very dangerous team. They have looked dominant recently. I think they are really close to peaking now and next year. I hope they can keep their core together.

I also noticed a small change in Liverpool´s idea to defend leads lately. It was very visible against Southampton and Porto that they finally started to possess the ball with a lead. They made the other team chase the ball. They wore down the chasing team, waited for high-end openings and therefore created a massive amount of high quality chances. Against Southampton in the 2nd half they failed to convert. Against Porto they buried them all.

Before that they always continued their high-risk, fast, low percentage counterattacking style, which results in losing the ball immediately, inviting pressure and becoming the ballchaser again. Seems Klopp has finally realized that when you have already achieved the lead, it´s you that can let the ball do all the work for you. Make the other team chase it and demoralize them, till you have real openings. If that was not just a coincidence (small sample size two games), then it makes Liverpool more dangerous than a new keeper or central defender.

Poch definitely evolved beyond his tactical stubborness. Tottenham at full strength are a very dangerous team. They have looked dominant recently. I think they are really close to peaking now and next year. I hope they can keep their core together.

I also noticed a small change in Liverpool´s idea to defend leads lately. It was very visible against Southampton and Porto that they finally started to possess the ball with a lead. They made the other team chase the ball. They wore down the chasing team, waited for high-end openings and therefore created a massive amount of high quality chances. Against Southampton in the 2nd half they failed to convert. Against Porto they buried them all.

Before that they always continued their high-risk, fast, low percentage counterattacking style, which results in losing the ball immediately, inviting pressure and becoming the ballchaser again. Seems Klopp has finally realized that when you have already achieved the lead, it´s you that can let the ball do all the work for you. Make the other team chase it and demoralize them, till you have real openings. If that was not just a coincidence (small sample size two games), then it makes Liverpool more dangerous than a new keeper or central defender.
Actually not only when we are ahead .. Klopp has said that we changed the way we play after the loss to Spurs. Results have generally improved since then. He also mentioned that, unlike some people seem to think, there is no single Plan A, there are many variations all designed to do something slightly different.

Spurs have been handed a massive boost by the injuries suffered by Higuain and Bernardeschi today. Higuain has a contusion on his left ankle, which will keep him out for a while but he will just about make it back for the return leg. Bernardeschi, on the other hand, has ligament/capsule damage on his left knee, and he will probably be out of action for a month, and miss the return leg. Annoying that we won't get to see full strength starting line ups from both sides.

Hmm, what to hope for tonight. Obviously as a Utd fan I should want Chelsea to lose, but I don't like Barca very much either.