Champions League - Matchday 6

It's really hard to see past Barca or Real again. I Would love to see Arsenal face Real Madrid, that fixture has hardly been played in the champions league, yet we've had to bare witness to about 1000 games between the same teams in the group stages and the knockout rounds.

What about perennial league charlatan, but Champions League wizard Ancelotti's Bayern Munich? Given the manager's propensity for cup heroics, that must be in with a shout, even if they look a bit cack right now. I'd stick a cheeky wager on them.

At this point Anyone But Madrid or Barca.

:lol: yeah lucky we didn't lose a group game and had a GD of 12. All luck
what exactly has been lucky today?
Lucky that Cavani is the reason Arsenal don't have 2 defeats in 6 CL games. Lucky/fortunate that PSG manage to become so shite they can't even beat Ludo at home and ofcourse hit the bar 2-3 times. It feels like Arsenal have the sort of luck to finally win something this season.

Lucky that Cavani is the reason Arsenal don't have 2 defeats in 6 CL games. Lucky/fortunate that PSG manage to become so shite they can't even beat Ludo at home and ofcourse hit the bar 2-3 times. It feels like Arsenal have the sort of luck to finally win something this season.

So this is the same luck that has apparently been plaguing United this season?

Shit finishing isn't down to luck. That's on Cavani and United's players.

Arsenal's luck continues I see.
Not sure it's luck considering PSG have been a bit shit all season. Also finishing 1st or 2nd.... Not sure there is a big difference?
Napoli or Benfica?
Barca or Man City? (only barca)
Atletico or Bayern?
Monaco or Bayer Leverkusen?
Dortmund or Real Madrid? (depending on what happens in the last game)
Leicester or Porto? (only porto)
Juventus or Sevilla/Lyon?

So finishing first they can play: Benfica, Bayern, Leverkusen, Real Madrid, Porto or Sevilla/Lyon.
If they finished 2nd they would play: Napoli, Barca, Atletico, Monaco, Dortmund or Juventus. Obviously a bit tougher, but the general level is pretty close. The main difference is the first place teams have 3 of the best teams (Barca, Atletico, Juventus) while second has just 2 that they can play (Bayern/Real Madrid). City there but they can't play them. The 2 pots seem pretty close overall though.

Just saw the highlights from Besiktas' match, they got robbed...
I'd be fuming if that happened to us.

What about perennial league charlatan, but Champions League wizard Ancelotti's Bayern Munich? Given the manager's propensity for cup heroics, that must be in with a shout, even if they look a bit cack right now. I'd stick a cheeky wager on them.

At this point Anyone But Madrid or Barca.
Agreed. I'm getting fed up of this Spanish dominance, but I just can't see past either of those two. Would be nice to see Dortmund do it. I've seen a couple Bayern games this season and they don't seem to have that invincibility they did under Pep, but he didn't win them the CL so maybe Carlo could.

We won't be signing Lindelof in January now that Benfica made it through.

Shit finishing isn't down to luck. That's on Cavani and United's players.
That's not accurate. If the opposition is shit at finishing, then you're lucky (for not being punished for giving away good chances). If you are shit at finishing, then obviously you're not unlucky. So PSG aren't unlucky for not doings better against you, but you're still lucky that their finishing are shit. It's simple. Still though, if you lost those two games you'd finish 2nd a landslide ahead of the 3rd place.

Renato Sanches is having an absolute mare so far.
Probably his best performance in the Bayern dress.

in the first half, he looked like a pub player who won an appearance with Bayern in a crossword competition. Then he only just turned 19 - still if i was in charge of hiring players with an emphasis on young affordable talent (35 Mio :devil:), i'd look for skills like vision, spatial awareness, decision making, speed of doing so - not so much physique, as that can be trained. Seems to me with him, t'was the other way around. Still not convinced he'll develop into a way-above-average kind of player, though both @Dans and my (completely clueless in all things football) brother-in-law agree in disagreeing with me :D
Improved in half 2, like the rest of the team.

Funny game, couldn't tell whether Atleti couldn't be arsed to show up or wasn't capable off. Also the atmosphere was as if the main event of the evening was still going to come up - it *was* cold, but not *that* cold. We were the ones showing up with squad 1b, not them... still we muffled all their feeble counterattack attempts (after the two early chances) so seemingly effortlessly and still managed to look vulnerable at times - the most apparent item we salvaged from the Pep era, it seems :wenger:.
Also, despite using Lewa, Robben and Costa, we lack penetration power in the final third so much it isn't even funny. Seems the theme of the season unless we play Rib/Rob/Lewa/Müller all together like last Friday, thus dropping our pants. Worrysome thought. (especially at -3° C)
Still, considering the quality of Atletico, possibly the best performance all season on our side, especially early 2nd half.

Highlight of the match: definitely Neuer leaving his box by a good 20ft to receive a back-pass under pressure and, after returning it to a field player, not returning to his box as any sane person would, but moving even further forward, offering himself for the return pass which he gladly received and confidentially passed on to another friendly :lol:- that Schalker is a Schalker and we'll never forget this, but he has balls the size of a minor supernova and i can't help loving him for it.

Last edited:
I agree, very foolish.

We have a big three game stretch in the league coming up - Stoke, at Everton, at City - and further knackering out our players, or risking injury to them, is really stupid given the very low probability that this game is even meaningful and the relatively low stakes anyway (a slightly better likelihood of a good draw from Pot 1 instead of Pot 2). It really makes no sense at all but Wenger gonna Wenger.
Gotta love fans telling managers how to manage the players they see up close every single day.

Gotta love fans telling managers how to manage the players they see up close every single day.

In fairness me and my Gooner mates all thought we should play a weakened side. Luckily we didn't and the result went our way.

Thankfully we have stronger depth this season though. *touches wood* *prays to god, allah and the spaghetti monster* *sacrifices a goat*

I'm hoping Sevilla do the business tonight for two reasons. One, because I really like them under Sampaoli and want them to go far in the CL, and two, because if they drop down to the Europa everyone else might as well pack their bags.

Hopefully Nasri's back tonight as he's been superb for them and they'll be missing both Vazquez and Sampaoli on the touchline so the timing couldn't be any better.

In fairness me and my Gooner mates all thought we should play a weakened side. Luckily we didn't and the result went our way.

Thankfully we have stronger depth this season though. *touches wood* *prays to god, allah and the spaghetti monster* *sacrifices a goat*
Understandable for supporters to be edgy, especially given our wonderful 'luck' with injuries. But AW had been quite clear he wanted to finish the game off by HT and then make changes based on the PSG game. Good to see the aggression, imo.

2070873679.png

To group victory! Heija BVB, heija BVB....
Excuse me, I'll have to wash my mouth.

To group victory! Heja BVB, heja BVB....
Excuse me, I'll have to wash my mouth.
Sorry for nitpicking. :angel:

It's obvious that all you're after is avoiding a L16 draw with Real Madrid. :devil:

Madrid - Dortmund could be great. Madrid has to go for the win if they want to finish first and Dortmund are in the comfortable position that finishing second wouldn't be too bad anyway so I don't think they'll park the bus and we'll have a good match.

Why are Spurs paying such a strong team, just to make the EL knockouts, play a few extra matches then draw a strong team and play a weakened team so they can claim they don't care about the competition?

Madrid - Dortmund could be great. Madrid has to go for the win if they want to finish first and Dortmund are in the comfortable position that finishing second wouldn't be too bad anyway so I don't think they'll park the bus and we'll have a good match.
...and why would we want to finish first? These are the group winners we could play: Napoli, Leicester, Monaco, Arsenal, Juventus.

If we win the group we're looking at: Bayern, City, PSG, Leverkusen, Benfica, Porto/Copenaghen, Lyon

Seems to me this game should be an easy draw :cool:

What do you guys think about Sevilla? Will they give away the match to get EL?

...and why would we want to finish first? These are the group winners we could play: Napoli, Leicester, Monaco, Arsenal, Juventus.

If we win the group we're looking at: Bayern, City, PSG, Leverkusen, Benfica, Porto/Copenaghen, Lyon

Seems to me this game should be an easy draw :cool:
Prestige. Real always wants to win, don't you?;)

What do you guys think about Sevilla? Will they give away the match to get EL?
Hopefully not as Sevilla are a decent team and can cause others problems. Lyon are such an average side and most likely will go out next round if they advance regardless of the draw.