Bruno Fernandes | New contract until 2027

So then we sell the players earning 300k (or more), make Bruno the top earner and replace the players in the 100k to 300k range who are not good enough. And obviously no new arrival should become the top earner unless they are prime Messi or some shit like that.

The solution is not to pay less than our rivals. Especially if we are not even willing to reward those who perform! What incentive is there then? The idea of signing hidden gems who only want to play for United is romantic, but not realistic.
He got a new contract last year. We can't throw money at our problem, we don't attract the top players even if we give Bruno a pay rise 1 year after the last.

He got a new contract last year.

Slight correction: 2 years ago.

We can't throw money at our problem

This is not throwing money at the problem. This is rewarding good players.

But I realise when I'm the minority. I don't think football should work the same way as regular businesses. Hell, I don't think regular businesses should work the way they do either, but that's a different discussion.

Slight correction: 2 years ago.

This is not throwing money at the problem. This is rewarding good players.

But I realise when I'm the minority. I don't think football should work the same way as regular businesses. Hell, I don't think regular businesses should work the way they do either, but that's a different discussion.
Ok 2 years.

He's being rewarded though. There is no real point to it. We are starting a huge rebuild, by the time we are a decent way into it he's going to have dropped in performance.

He's being rewarded though. There is no real point to it. We are starting a huge rebuild, by the time we are a decent way into it he's going to have dropped in performance.

Agree to disagree. 240k is not crazy low even for someone on his level, but based on his skills and status in United he could quite clearly earn more.

I understand it from a ruthless CEO point of view where the idea is to extract as much resources as possible whilst paying as little as possible. But from a purely meritocracy point of view I think a salary bump makes sense. And that's the point of view I'm going for. Call it naive, romantic or whatever. I think this approach would be beneficial in the long run if we also want a culture chance.

Am I missing any news on his contract extension or is it just media/agent speculation?

Am I missing any news on his contract extension or is it just media/agent speculation?

I can’t work out what the feck is going on either. Which genius thought it would be a good idea to bump a thread about his last contract extension for an update on a new one? (which may or may not have actually happened!)

Your bumping a thread about a contract extension 2 years ago to talk about something that’s already being discussed across the forum. :confused:

Ha. I bumped a Bruno contract thread which reminds everyone (loads have not been aware) that he's got 2+1 year left on his deal and there is still talk of upgrading the deal while INEOS are busy cost cutting every aspect of the club and somehow trying to not make a mess of a really important transfer window.

We don't have to agree, and the same applies to Pogue, but the rudeness or condescension is unwarranted.

Ha. I bumped a Bruno contract thread which reminds everyone (loads have not been aware) that he's got 2+1 year left on his deal and there is still talk of upgrading the deal while INEOS are busy cost cutting every aspect of the club and somehow trying to not make a mess of a really important transfer window.

We don't have to agree, and the same applies to Pogue, but the rudeness or condescension is unwarranted.

You bumped a thread which likely made people think he’d signed a new deal. There was absolutely zero point and it’s against the forum guidelines.

Don’t be surprised when people raise it as it feels a bit attention seeking.

I've changed the thread title. In the future, please don't bump old threads.

You bumped a thread which likely made people think he’d signed a new deal. There was absolutely zero point and it’s against the forum guidelines.

Don’t be surprised when people raise it as it feels a bit attention seeking.

If that's the case you can rest easy that the thread will be locked soon. Have an absolutely lovely day.

I fully support keeping Bruno. He has been our cubic zirconia in a sea of Swarovski micro crystals. I know he messes up, periodically runs about like a headless chicken, but his passion and general play is very good.

You bumped an old thread, without context or suitable links, confusing a lot of people. This prompted a mod to step in and deal with the situation.

You've ruined the Forum experience for everyone. Shame on you!

You bumped an old thread, without context or suitable links, confusing a lot of people. This prompted a mod to step in and deal with the situation.

You've ruined the Forum experience for everyone. Shame on you!

This is a telling off I can get on board with. Shamed.

Agree to disagree. 240k is not crazy low even for someone on his level, but based on his skills and status in United he could quite clearly earn more.

I understand it from a ruthless CEO point of view where the idea is to extract as much resources as possible whilst paying as little as possible. But from a purely meritocracy point of view I think a salary bump makes sense. And that's the point of view I'm going for. Call it naive, romantic or whatever. I think this approach would be beneficial in the long run if we also want a culture chance.
I can understand it, I don't necessarily disagree, but I'm cautious of it. Probably because of our history in the last 10 or so years. I feel we need to see proof of a change in direction.

It will be utterly bonkers to give him a new contract when his existing one doesn’t run out until he’s 33!

It will be utterly bonkers to give him a new contract when his existing one doesn’t run out until he’s 33!

The contract discussions probably stem from the fact that he has to take a wage cut (is it usually 25%?) since United didn't make the CL.

No need for a new contract. Is on good money and 2 years left. He had a great end to the season but was pretty average for half of it. Great player on his day and arguably our best overall player but that doesn’t mean we commit to paying him until his mid thirties.

No need for a new contract. Is on good money and 2 years left. He had a great end to the season but was pretty average for half of it. Great player on his day and arguably our best overall player but that doesn’t mean we commit to paying him until his mid thirties.

Watch him leave for free in a couple seasons time ? Or sell him for less next year ?

New contract for Erik
New one for Bruno
Amrabat on permanent

The three pronged attack to get the next season and the INEOS reign going!

Watch him leave for free in a couple seasons time ? Or sell him for less next year ?
Yeah basically. It’s not like teams are falling over themselves to sign him now despite his agent working overtime, that’s nothing against him but his age and salary mean he’s quite an expensive short term signing for anyone. He’s with us until he’s 32, there’s nothing stopping us then offering another year on a rolling basis.

He has 2 years and a team option for one year. So we have him locked up for three years.
From the brilliant popbitch. Can't guarantee of course that it's strictly true:
>> Hearts v Clubs <<​
A man of the people​

Harry Maguire is getting a lot of online support to be reinstated as Man Utd club captain after a video of him greeting all the Man Utd academy kids did the rounds this week. But if being an all-round good guy is the qualification, it would be a huge mistake to remove incumbent Bruno Fernandes.

Remember at the end of last season, the new Man Utd bosses decided they weren't going to do the usual thing of paying for club staff to attend the FA Cup final, nor put on a club party to celebrate their appearance?

One person who was absolutely horrified at this snub to the loyal backroom staff, tea ladies, kitmen, stewards (etc) was Bruno Fernandes. So he went to the club offering to pay for everything – and everyone – out of his own pocket.

His offer was rebuffed, as the club didn't want him to make them look bad.​

Hold up… we’ve been trying to cut costs and wages but we’ve now just given him a contract in-line with the top earners. Are we setting a new standard of top earners and he is the barometer or is he now on Cas/Sancho money?

Because ideally no one should be on more than 300k a week. Not saying Bruno doesn’t deserve to be in the bracket of top earners but are we going to be back to paying out the arse wages. Or are he Sancho, Rashford and Cas going to be the last ones whilst we look to more sustainable wages.

So is he now on Casemiro money? If anyone he should be, but surely we are trying to lower our obscene wage bill.
Our wage bill isn't obscene. In the 2023 fiscal year we spent £331m on wages, from £648m in revenue, so 51%, which is a very healthy number. And we've gotten rid of a few big earners this summer.

Fantastic news, he’s basically carried us for the last few seasons.

Well deserved.