Benjamin Sesko | Salzburg | Leipzig

There is not that good a success rate of Bundasliga forwards doing well in the Premier League. The quality of the Bundasliga is also lower, like it or lump it. If he was a Haaland level player at the same age, sure. But he's not, and he's not even close.

When was the last time striker moved from mid table PL club to top PL club and was a success?

Massive overreactions here. He is rapid, wins a lot of headers, his linkup play and technque are very good, he has a very powerful shot and he gets into a lot chances, even if his finishing so far is not the best, he was also exhausted yesterday, but agreed he should have done better wih his chance. His potential is enormous, he could be a RVP regen.

Surely you can see the irony here?

Mané? Jota? Lukaku (only half-joking)?

They aren't strikers. Lukaku isn't a success story.

Even if we agree on Mane, that was 8 years ago.

It's very hard to find a successful transfer (for CF) from PL midtable to top clubs.

There are a lot of posters getting upset from something I never said. I never said he needs to leave right now (although the initial post was poorly worded and might have insinuated it). I said when before he moves to a top PL club, he should transition to a midtier PL team first. because he's still too rough round the edges. He's staying on where he is but it won't be for long, the top clubs will circle next season and he'd be at risk of moving too early a la Hojlund.

I never said he cannot develop playing in the Bundasliga at all. I said he would be better transitioning to a top level PL club via moving to a mid-table PL first. That's all. There are too many flaws in his game, and he's not going to go to a Lewa level (or remotely close) in 1 or 2 seasons.

I feel like people didn't properly understand the point I was trying to make.

Lewan levels at the same age is what was referred to quite obviously. And “he was too many flaws to his game” is clear hyperbole. He will likely score 20-25+ goals next season as a starter.

Regardless the path to a top PL club actually does not need to take the route of a mid table one first. Most top clubs agree hence Arsenal, Chelsea and United were after him this summer. Add to that the path is hardly ever used successfully. Most top strikers are signed by the top PL clubs from outside of the league

Lewan levels at the same age is what was referred to quite obviously. And “he was too many flaws to his game” is clear hyperbole. He will likely score 20-25+ goals next season as a starter.

Regardless the path to a top PL club actually does not need to take the route of a mid table one first. Most top clubs agree hence Arsenal, Chelsea and United were after him this summer. Add to that the path is hardly ever used successfully. Most top strikers are signed by the top PL clubs from outside of the league
OK, lets find out how Sesko does. He's getting Hojlund level figures in a lesser league as it stands.

I don't even think he was all that bad. Showed glimpses and was involved and active throughout. Not terrible for a young player in a pretty mediocre side.

The late miss was a disaster of course

I actually thought it was a really good save by Costa to stay low and save with his feet the way he did. Don't get me wrong, he probably shouldn't have been given the chance to, but thought the goalkeeper done well anyway.

The scuffed earlier shot I have more concern over as he just got that all wrong.

He'll be fine though, I'm sure he's going to take another step forward in his development at Leipzig this season.

It was a good save but he had so much time, he could’ve knocked it around him and tapped it into the net.
I can’t say I’m an expert on him and I’m sure he’s a very good player, he’s just had a bit of a shit game against a top side in a big international tournament.

OK, lets find out how Sesko does. He's getting Hojlund level figures in a lesser league as it stands.
He was not the starting striker until the last 3 months so…

Interesting to see that he was our number one choice for striker this summer according to The Athletic but chose to stay at Leipzig.

Apparently we will be keeping a close eye on him this season.

Also this was our third approach to Sesko (don't know when the other two approaches were). Obviously then a striker we are very interested in.

I think I read Ralf wanting him in January '22. Would have helped with the Greenwood nightmare.

So, decades ago ....:confused:
That's how long it has been since we had a striker good enough to be nailed on the teamsheet.

The best we managed since Berba/Rooney/RvP were short over the hill stints and occasional purple patches from Martial.

Sorry for being pedantic but cantona shouldn't count, he won the league at Leeds the previous year.

I was being slightly facetious, but history shows most of our striker signings from mid table clubs have been successful. I’d never really thought about it before but it’s been a happy hunting ground for us. The only “failure” in terms of forwards that I can think of is Saha, and he didn’t fail so much as he was constantly injured and never realised his potential.

I was being slightly facetious, but history shows most of our striker signings from mid table clubs have been successful. I’d never really thought about it before but it’s been a happy hunting ground for us. The only “failure” in terms of forwards that I can think of is Saha, and he didn’t fail so much as he was constantly injured and never realised his potential.
Seeing someone describe Saha as a failure hurts a little. I know you qualified it, but still.. love that guy.

I do think your general point is fine though. Although we always had that "make stars not but them" thing going in those times. Largely because we had to. I still wonder what we might've been if SAF had got his way with Batistuta.

Anyway, I'm glad we got Zirkzee instead of Sesko. He's a better footballer.

Seeing someone describe Saha as a failure hurts a little. I know you qualified it, but still.. love that guy.

I do think your general point is fine though. Although we always had that "make stars not but them" thing going in those times. Largely because we had to. I still wonder what we might've been if SAF had got his way with Batistuta.

Saha was brilliant when he was on the pitch, arguably a prototype of the modern forward and I really wanted him to succeed, he just missed so many games and failure was probably harsh, but he was definitely a lost talent.

Batistuta in a United shirt would have been the stuff of dreams. Hard to get the top players to leave Italy in them days though.

I agree on Zirkzee too, although do you think he would be a direct comparison to Sesko, or would that be Rasmus?

Saha was brilliant when he was on the pitch, arguably a prototype of the modern forward and I really wanted him to succeed, he just missed so many games and failure was probably harsh, but he was definitely a lost talent.

Batistuta in a United shirt would have been the stuff of dreams. Hard to get the top players to leave Italy in them days though.

I agree on Zirkzee too, although do you think he would be a direct comparison to Sesko, or would that be Rasmus?
Sesko, in my opinion, would have been a signing we'd come to regret. He's just Rasmus with more exposure. Zirkzee, well. I've carried his flag for a while so I don't want to get a reputation or anything. He's just a Manchester United player, more than anyone we've signed in over a decade.

I think I remember reading that Batistuta was a real possibility for Ferguson but the board shut him down. Gabigoal would have changed my childhood to the extent I'd probably be an entirely different person.

I think people need to be patient with him, no preseason, about 5 minutes in euros isn’t great prep for a long hard season. Thought he had good bit and negative bits against pool. Certainly got into the right areas and unlucky not to score. I think him and Rashford are developing an understanding.

Also this was our third approach to Sesko (don't know when the other two approaches were). Obviously then a striker we are very interested in.
If true then Sesko doesn't really seem interested in United however. Turning you down three times doesn't look good.

If true then Sesko doesn't really seem interested in United however. Turning you down three times doesn't look good.
According to the article, Utd were impressed that he values his career development more and moving when he thinks it's the right time to move to an elite club.

According to the article, Utd were impressed that he values his career development more and moving when he thinks it's the right time to move to an elite club.
That's fine. But will he consider United an elite club when it's time for him to move? I'm not so sure about that. United hasn't exactly been better than Leipzig in recent years, so if it's his own development he wants to take care of it might not feel like a step up for him, if United don't get their sh*t together soon.

That's fine. But will he consider United an elite club when it's time for him to move? I'm not so sure about that. United hasn't exactly been better than Leipzig in recent years, so if it's his own development he wants to take care of it might not feel like a step up for him, if United don't get their sh*t together soon.
It's certainly a step up in pressure and expectation!

It's certainly a step up in pressure and expectation!
And money. But that does not seem to be his priority, otherwise he would have pushed for the move I think.

And money. But that does not seem to be his priority, otherwise he would have pushed for the move I think.
I think he's right to stay where he is anyway, he's still very raw and unpredictable. Hojlund would have been wise to stay at Atalanta, but he's a massive United fan, so he was never going to turn that opportunity down. He won't be short of suitors when he's ready to move on and we may or may not be in a position to offer a good project. Arsenal may offer a better option at that point.

He stated a few times that his ultimate goal is playing home matches at Santiago Bernabeu. But I don't think that his potential ability will get him to live his Madrid dream.

He stated a few times that his ultimate goal is playing home matches at Santiago Bernabeu. But I don't think that his potential ability will get him to live his Madrid dream.
Who knows... just look at Joselu. Sesko is already a better striker than Joselu ever was, yet Joselu played a lot of matches for Real last season.

Be interesting if we (Arsenal) are still looking to pursue him in future windows as well.

Was interesting that by all reports we were balls deep for Sesko, but we didn't really make a move for any alternatives when he decided to stay.

For what it's worth, I think he's totally done the right thing by staying. He should establish himself enough so that when he does make a move, it's with the thinking he'll be a starting striker at a big club, rather than seen as a forward to develop which might put him further down the pecking order.