Benjamin Sesko | Salzburg | Leipzig

Bit head down, isn't he? Got all the attributes to be a top striker if he can get his head up.
Yep, noticed that too. Can’t trust a footballer running with his head down.

He’s playing for a Champions League club and just turned down moves to multiple bigger clubs. But yeah should deffo join Wolves.

It is quite funny to see people have bothered watching him and now decided he’s shit, despite being told repeatedly he’s not ready to be first choice at a top team.

Luckily we can come back to this thread for years to come to laugh at this. He will score a tonne of goals.
Hes playing in a lower quality league by way of mid table or lower league opposition. If he wants to develop quicker, a move to a mid table PL club before a move to a top club is astute.

RVN developed quite late, who knows with this lad. He looks quite gangly.

I was impressed with some of his tracking back though in close range with Portugal's players, could be quite a player in a few years.

Hes playing in a lower quality league by way of mid table or lower league opposition. If he wants to develop quicker, a move to a mid table PL club before a move to a top club is astute.
Clubs should get you on their payroll.

Yes so they can demand 150m for him and not let him leave. He is in the perfect place for his development as shown by quite a few elitie level strikers. I don’t remember Haaland or Lewandowski having to come to mid table PL to develop.

Yes so they can demand 150m for him and not let him leave. He is in the perfect place for his development as shown by quite a few elitie level strikers. I don’t remember Haaland or Lewandowski having to come to mid table PL to develop.
Haaland and Lewa were phenomenal and on a completely different level.

He had a release clause. He can negotiate a lower one when extending, which was on the table. He signs the deals. You have an odd view on the game.

What a weird discussion. He’s in the right place for his development and did well to turn down a big move this year. He’s played away at Madrid, at the Etihad, what would he gain having to play at Craven Cottage, playing with worse players and probably worse coaches.

He had a release clause. He can negotiate a lower one when extending, which was on the table. He signs the deals. You have an odd view on the game.
Lewandowski was playing in Poland when he was older than Sesko. Guess what league he developed in after that. Oh yes, a German champions league team :lol: Should have joined Wolves tbh.

Lewandowski not joining Blackburn was career ending for him.

Sesko is as well. He is just young. Lewan at the same age as Sekso scored less goals. He took a leap at 22/23. Sesko is likely going to take a massive leap next season now being the no1 striker at his club

Also PL clubs are not signing him for 55m to give him a low release clause. You have an odd view on the game

Since some have mentioned him, Sesko actually reminds me of young Lewandowski a bit. There are always flashes of brillance, not only when it comes to scoring but also in terms of holdup play and touch. He was actually more wasteful than Sesko even when he was couple of years older and also slower than him. But Lewandowski improved massively and was among the most professional athletes in the world.

What a weird discussion. He’s in the right place for his development and did well to turn down a big move this year. He’s played away at Madrid, at the Etihad, what would he gain having to play at Craven Cottage, playing with worse players and probably worse coaches.

Lewandowski was playing in Poland when he was older than Sesko. Guess what league he developed in after that. Oh yes, a German champions league team :lol: Should have joined Wolves tbh.
Lewandowski was a lot better than sesko, the chances of sesko or any high potential player being Lewandowski is very small. A comparison to lewa is just stupid.

He's young but has huge potential. Rough miss today, but he was tough for them to handle all game too. Big guy with pace, strength, excellent in the air and plenty of talent on the ball and a hell of a strike. He's got a bit of Ibra about him, though of course that's his absolute max outcome. But I do think he'll be a quality player.

His physique just doesn't look right for football. He's quick for such a tall player but it looks like that's about it as far as athleticism goes.

He loses most of his duels and seems to be a bit of a wimp. He has a weak body and will probably get injury problems with time too.

His ball control is just atrocious, he handles the ball so slowly and takes ages to turn and pass to another player. With his tall physique he looks really clumsy doing it. He also doesn't have any finishing instincts and can't dribble to save his life.

For me he just doesn't pass the eye test, I don't see how he can possibly improve to elite level.

He was poor at this tournament, usually he was much better for our NT.
I think he is a bit out of form currently (which is understandable for young player i guess) and he had to do a lot of defensive work, against Serbia he was having cramps after 70 minutes... So it's a bit of a mix of a poor form and tiredness. Perhaps he was also putting too much pressure on himself as our main goal scoring threat.
But anyway he should be scoring at least once yesterday.

And the hype around him is overblown, he has big potential but if he ever comes close to peak Lewandowski levels I'll be amazed.

It really is quite funny how many on CAF develop a hate for some random guy, just because some fans say that he is better than Rasmus Højlund.. It seems to happend a lot, I remember the hate Poch got because many wanted him instead og Ole.. and also with Lampard and Gerrard.. Its just stupid, save the hate for something that matters

Lewandowski was a lot better than sesko, the chances of sesko or any high potential player being Lewandowski is very small. A comparison to lewa is just stupid.
Are you actually claiming you watched a lot of Lech Poznan to know how good Lewandowski was at 20 years old. In fact they both scored 14 league goals in their age 20 season, it’s just that Sesko did it in the Bundesliga and not the Polish league.

Of course this is a dumb argument, I’m not saying Sesko is going to be as good as Lewandowski, but surely you understand that very few strikers at 20 are starting for a top Bundesliga team. Go look at a list of top strikers from history and tell me where they were at 20 and if they scored 14 league goals in a top league.

I’m actually a bit pessimistic about Hojlund’s chances of development because of this. In the clamour for signing the next Haaland, I’m not sure these players are getting enough development before moving to a big club. A lot of strikers don’t start looking like a top forward until 25.

Saying the comparison is stupid when you make stupid comments is stupid.
Lewan was playing in an inferior league at the same age and scored more or less the same amount of goals. Sesko will likely score alot more goals next season when he will be the no1 striker (he was not this season) until after Christmas.

No one saying he will be better than Lewan but to say he cannot develop properly playing as the no1 striker for a UCL team in the Bundesliga when Lewan (given as an example) and most top strikers do develop outside of the PL is dumb which was the point being made

People watch a couple of games and become experts on a player. Sesko has been seen as a major top talent as a striker for over 3 years

Sesko is obviously a good talent. People need to stop evaluating players solely on these international tournaments. Look at Kane and Foden as prime examples.

Go look at a list of top strikers from history and tell me where they were at 20 and if they scored 14 league goals in a top league.

Šeško is 21.

Plenty of strikers were already delivering much more at that age.

Aguero was the main man at Atletico Madrid when he was 21, Torres was scoring 20+ goals a year, Adriano was a beast at Parma scoring almost a goal a game, Benzema was the player of the year in Ligue 1, Ibrahimović caried a young Ajax team to CL quarter finals through two tough group stages etc.

All of these guys were already miles ahead of Šeško at that same age and passed the eye test.

There's no way that any of these forwards miss the kind of chance he had at any point in their career.

Šeško is 21.

Aguero was the main man at Atletico Madrid when he was 21, Torres was scoring 20+ goals a year, Adriano was a beast at Parma scoring almost a goal a game, Benzema was the player of the year in Ligue 1, Ibrahimović caried a young Ajax team to CL quarter finals through two tough group stages etc.

All of these guys were already miles ahead of Šeško at that same age and passed the eye test.

There's no way that either of these forwards miss the kind of chance he had at any point in their career.

You underrate Sesko he became the main man at a UCL club this season. Also many top strikers were not the main man at this age hence the ops post. Its more likely you will be able to name less players who were than those who were not and went on to become top strikers

I stand by my assessment he’s a very talented player and one of love at Utd. However right now his biggest issue is he’s just not a killer in front of goal. Not convinced as of yet he has that tendency built in yet. For some strikers that comes with age, for others they never really get it and that prevents them scoring 20/30 goals regularly.

Šeško is 21.

There's no way that any of these forwards miss the kind of chance he had at any point in their career.
Also the last sentence is just plain stupid. We have seen every top striker miss that sort of chance and also easier chances

Having watched good players slog up front alone for Ireland I think it's harsh to judge a 21 year old in these circumstances.

Almost every time he got the ball he was alone surrounded by three defenders with no support.

It's thankless and physically and psychologically tough.

He's a better player than we are seeing here.

Šeško is 21.

Nonsense.

Šeško is 21.

Massive overreactions here. He is rapid, wins a lot of headers, his linkup play and technque are very good, he has a very powerful shot and he gets into a lot chances, even if his finishing so far is not the best, he was also exhausted yesterday, but agreed he should have done better wih his chance. His potential is enormous, he could be a RVP regen.

I actually thought it was a really good save by Costa to stay low and save with his feet the way he did. Don't get me wrong, he probably shouldn't have been given the chance to, but thought the goalkeeper done well anyway.

The scuffed earlier shot I have more concern over as he just got that all wrong.

He'll be fine though, I'm sure he's going to take another step forward in his development at Leipzig this season.

Šeško is 21.

I was talking about last season, hence saying he was 20. We don’t have any data on Sesko as a 21 year old but we can come back this time next year and see if he’s matched the likes of Torres and Aguero. He’d only need to score another 4/5 league goals to match their best ever seasons in La Liga. And just to mention he played less than half the amount of minutes that Aguero and Torres did in their most productive seasons.

He’s already bettered Ibra’s 13 goal highest tally for Ajax, Adriano’s best season for Parma was 1 league goal more than Sesko had this season (1 less in all comps). I’d love to know at what point in time Adriano was ever close to a goal a game striker.

Bizarre that you’re trying to use some of the best ever young strikers in football history to discredit someone and failing.

Also, I assume you don’t remember Torres missing an actual open goal at Old Trafford? To come out with some kind of sweeping statement like those strikers never miss chances like that invalidates your whole argument. It felt like Torres missed a chance like that every game for Chelsea :lol:

are you new to football?
Mbappe just missed a similar one last week in the same tournament.

judging a player based on one single attack ist a new level of madness. And it's not even like he fumbled / slipped or skied it into the standings.
Solid attempt, could've done better, but it needed a good save from the keeper.

Are you actually claiming you watched a lot of Lech Poznan to know how good Lewandowski was at 20 years old. In fact they both scored 14 league goals in their age 20 season, it’s just that Sesko did it in the Bundesliga and not the Polish league.

Of course this is a dumb argument, I’m not saying Sesko is going to be as good as Lewandowski, but surely you understand that very few strikers at 20 are starting for a top Bundesliga team. Go look at a list of top strikers from history and tell me where they were at 20 and if they scored 14 league goals in a top league.

I’m actually a bit pessimistic about Hojlund’s chances of development because of this. In the clamour for signing the next Haaland, I’m not sure these players are getting enough development before moving to a big club. A lot of strikers don’t start looking like a top forward until 25.
There are a lot of posters getting upset from something I never said. I never said he needs to leave right now (although the initial post was poorly worded and might have insinuated it). I said when before he moves to a top PL club, he should transition to a midtier PL team first. because he's still too rough round the edges. He's staying on where he is but it won't be for long, the top clubs will circle next season and he'd be at risk of moving too early a la Hojlund.

Saying the comparison is stupid when you make stupid comments is stupid.
Lewan was playing in an inferior league at the same age and scored more or less the same amount of goals. Sesko will likely score alot more goals next season when he will be the no1 striker (he was not this season) until after Christmas.

No one saying he will be better than Lewan but to say he cannot develop properly playing as the no1 striker for a UCL team in the Bundesliga when Lewan (given as an example) and most top strikers do develop outside of the PL is dumb which was the point being made

People watch a couple of games and become experts on a player. Sesko has been seen as a major top talent as a striker for over 3 years
I never said he cannot develop playing in the Bundasliga at all. I said he would be better transitioning to a top level PL club via moving to a mid-table PL first. That's all. There are too many flaws in his game, and he's not going to go to a Lewa level (or remotely close) in 1 or 2 seasons.

I feel like people didn't properly understand the point I was trying to make.

There are a lot of posters getting upset from something I never said. I never said he needs to leave right now (although the initial post was poorly worded and might have insinuated it). I said when before he moves to a top PL club, he should transition to a midtier PL team first. because he's still too rough round the edges. He's staying on where he is but it won't be for long, the top clubs will circle next season and he'd be at risk of moving too early a la Hojlund.

I never said he cannot develop playing in the Bundasliga at all. I said he would be better transitioning to a top level PL club via moving to a mid-table PL first. That's all. There are too many flaws in his game, and he's not going to go to a Lewa level (or remotely close) in 1 or 2 seasons.

I feel like people didn't properly understand the point I was trying to make.
People just disagree about that. Most think that he can develop at least as good (or probably better) at a Bundesliga top club and in the CL than in mid table PL. In terms of playing style Leipzig probably is closer to most PL top teams than most midtier PL teams, so the transition would be easier for him.

People just disagree about that. Most think that he can develop at least as good (or probably better) at a Bundesliga top club and in the CL than in mid table PL. In terms of playing style Leipzig probably is closer to most PL top teams than most midtier PL teams, so the transition would be easier for him.
There is not that good a success rate of Bundasliga forwards doing well in the Premier League. The quality of the Bundasliga is also lower, like it or lump it. If he was a Haaland level player at the same age, sure. But he's not, and he's not even close.

There is not that good a success rate of Bundasliga forwards doing well in the Premier League. The quality of the Bundasliga is also lower, like it or lump it. If he was a Haaland level player at the same age, sure. But he's not, and he's not even close.
How many strikers actually moved from a top BL club to a top PL club (as that's what we have to compare, not midtable players who were mostly signed as a cheap punt by PL clubs)? Haaland and Werner in recent years. One is breaking records, the other was a bit underwhelming but at least able to put in a shift.

I don't remember any more high profile transfers recently, you could maybe think of Havertz and Nkunku, but they were AMs, not strikers before moving to the PL.