Television Beckham's Netflix documentary

Does it have about him winning his Madrid place back in his last season through hard work?
That's about the only element I'd like to see tbh
The thumbnail has him in a PSG shirt
Totally forgot he was even there

I knew he’d be the type of guy that gets his wage then blows it the day after :lol: But who wouldn’t at such a young age.

living in Madrid is worse than the Gulag if you listen to posh spice
Maybe not a Gulag but the press intrusion was by the look of it pretty bad, the paparazzi following them everywhere, even taking the kids to school must be hard

Have to agree on Victoria as opposed on all the negative comments on her. She basically followed his desire but had to look after the kids and schooling etc. Must say that as good as the first 2 episodes were - it really flagged off next 2.
Back in the day people were saying that she was deciding his moves because he kept playing for clubs in the fashion capitals.

Just finished it - very enjoyable and some great nostalgia, but by God is Posh unbearable. Came across extremely controlling and self-centred.

Props to Becks for being able to live with that unreasonable non-biodegradable expressionless cyborg.
started it tonight more because my wife wanted to watch it. But first two episodes and I really liked it

im not seeing that at all in Posh, think she comes across pretty well for the most part

Just watched the first 2 episodes. First, what a club we had back then. Second, how poorly Hoddle handled the team and media in ‘98. Yes Beckham made a silly mistake but to publicly blame him alone several times was just cowardly and irresponsible. Disgraceful management. What a player and what a strong character Becks was and is to come through all that shit and continue to excel. So good to see Keano going after Sinton for a hack on Becks. Also Simeone is still a cnut.

Diego Simeone is the highlight of this thing. Dude loves it. And that was considered major play acting in 1998..... imagine how Neymar or Grealish would react to that now :lol:

Just finished it - very enjoyable and some great nostalgia, but by God is Posh unbearable. Came across extremely controlling and self-centred.

Props to Becks for being able to live with that unreasonable non-biodegradable expressionless cyborg.

User name checks out at least.

Becks loves the fame and attention.

SAF did the right thing, but it’d of been great if he’d stayed and retired here.

This documentary goes to show how much the media can drive a narrative and the general public will lap it up.

The way the press hounded them and made out Victoria was controlling all his decisions is a lie that still seems to stick to this day.

I think without her, the fallout from 98 causes him irreparable damage. The security and safety she offered him out of football saved him.

So funny seeing all those superstars line up against us for Real and then… Steve McManamanamaman.

and then O’Shea for us :lol:

This documentary goes to show how much the media can drive a narrative and the general public will lap it up.

The way the press hounded them and made out Victoria was controlling all his decisions is a lie that still seems to stick to this day.

I think without her, the fallout from 98 causes him irreparable damage. The security and safety she offered him out of football saved him.

I can still remember the effigy, the Too Posh To Push headline, One Stupid Boy headline. It was a grim time in pop culture. The press were basically feral.

I can still remember the effigy, the Too Posh To Push headline, One Stupid Boy headline. It was a grim time in pop culture. The press were basically feral.

I remember all those but due to the success he achieved after 98 it's easy to forget the vitriol directed towards him. It remains completely unprecedented and thankfully wouldn't happen in the modern age.

You can see how much he had been affected when he turned up for pre-season with cold sores and about half a stone underweight.

I don’t think anything Beckham did would be out of the ordinary now. It’s just that there was no social media back then and the concept of/footballers also being celebrities wasn’t a thing (bar him) so him simply shaving his hair got people ooooing and ahhhhing. Because if you think about it…what did he really do? Dated a high profile pop star, changed his hairstyle a few times and model in his spare time. Wow such a distraction :rolleyes:. Big whoop. Especially when you compare it to some off the off the field antics of players nowadays.

Watched the 1st Episode, makes me miss Fergie and how he ran the club.

I remember all those but due to the success he achieved after 98 it's easy to forget the vitriol directed towards him. It remains completely unprecedented and thankfully wouldn't happen in the modern age.

You can see how much he had been affected when he turned up for pre-season with cold sores and about half a stone underweight.
In the world of social media it would have been way worse

I don’t think anything Beckham did would be out of the ordinary now. It’s just that there was no social media back then and the concept of/footballers also being celebrities wasn’t a thing (bar him) so him simply shaving his hair got people ooooing and ahhhhing. Because if you think about it…what did he really do? Dated a high profile pop star, changed his hairstyle a few times and model in his spare time. Wow such a distraction :rolleyes:. Big whoop. Especially when you compare it to some off the off the field antics of players nowadays.
He's tame by today's standards but back then he was a trail blazer.

I think George Best would have disagreed with you

In the world of social media it would have been way worse

It'd be different but he wouldn't have national newspapers camping in his bushes, death threats and bullets being sent to him, family and the club.

Social media is awful but can be blocked out for the most part; what Beckham went through was way worse than anything anyone else has had to deal with in the social media age.

It'd be different but he wouldn't have national newspapers camping in his bushes, death threats and bullets being sent to him, family and the club.

Social media is awful but can be blocked out for the most part; what Beckham went through was way worse than anything anyone else has had to deal with in the social media age.
No, it would be any army of Tik-Tokkers, You Tubers and Instagrammers pointing their phones at them, and if you don't think the death threats and all the rest wouldn't happen I think you are very mistaken

No, it would be any army of Tik-Tokkers, You Tubers and Instagrammers pointing their phones at them, and if you don't think the death threats and all the rest wouldn't happen I think you are very mistaken

But it doesn't happen now though, does it? It absolutely happened to Beckham and no player in England has ever received anything resembling the same amount of abuse since.

Gary Neville comes across as a really funny and likable dude. Not sure if this is an allowed opinion in the he's dead to us era :nervous:

The delivery of his joke was god fecking awful though.

But it doesn't happen now though, does it? It absolutely happened to Beckham and no player in England has ever received anything resembling the same amount of abuse since.
I suspect Rashford, Saka and Sancho might disagree with you

I suspect Rashford, Saka and Sancho might disagree with you

I doubt it.

Where was the national witch-hunt? Obviously the racist abuse they received online was abhorrent; but was in no way as vitriolic or consistent as what happend with Becks. That was literally front and back page news, the fallout of he Euros was forgotten within a week.

I’ve only watched some of the first episode and I went into it not the biggest fan but there’s something about his money lust that grates. I don’t buy his claim the money didn’t and fame didn’t change him. It blatantly did and since the whole Goldenballs nonsense it got worse and worse. There’s nothing genuine about either of them.

Neville's joke in his best man speech also isn't getting enough love.
Highlight for me, perfect line to deliver at that moment

Felt Neville was a bit too self-deprecating describing his role/abilities. Understood he was a producer but no need to put himself down to big up Becks.

The complete but understandable absence of Giggs was hard to ignore. Lot more to those 90s teams than they covered but that one in particular stood out

And agreed, the idea was Posh was always the one behind his high profile moves was pretty much laid to rest in this. Her Rolls Royce upbringing moment aside, she seemed pretty normal to me. He was more the diva than she was, probably even Fergie would agree now.

Highlight for me, perfect line to deliver at that moment

Felt Neville was a bit too self-deprecating describing his role/abilities. Understood he was a producer but no need to put himself down to big up Becks.

The complete but understandable absence of Giggs was hard to ignore. Lot more to those 90s teams than they covered but that one in particular stood out

And agreed, the idea was Posh was always the one behind his high profile moves was pretty much laid to rest in this. Her Rolls Royce upbringing moment aside, she seemed pretty normal to me. He was more the diva than she was, probably even Fergie would agree now.

Interesting that there was no Scholes either.

Yeah, what kind of person calls himself a side dish and just says he was practicing throw ins. He underrates himself way too much, we haven’t had a RB as good as him since he retired, but that’s not enough praise. He was genuinely a fantastic player and captain, his crossing ability in his latter years was so good.