Television Beckham's Netflix documentary

just watched the first episode.
Not being from England, i never really was aware of some of the post '98 comments made by Glenn Hoddle. To see a manager completely lay blame on a loss (a penalty kicks loss at that) on a player seems shocking.
Came to post this. Horrendous management. Even before the tournament started he said he wasn't in it and his head was in the right place all through the media. Then totally threw him under the bus after the red.

Fergie would never have done that.

I find the first episode really strange. They make a huge point about how Beckham would do anything to be with Victoria, sometimes driving 4 hours just to spend 20 minutes with her. Then they mention how she told him she was pregnant the day before the Argentina game... Seemed like they were almost painting a new narrative that he deliberately got himself sent off so he could go and be with her...they had been apart for 2 months at that point....

When Beckham said "Ferguson went mental at me, because he wanted me to go with a certain agent that he knew ..."

I take it that's his son? There was a 2002 documentary and book by Newsnights Michael Crick that alleged Fergie put pressure on young players to sign up with his sons agency.

I just finished the first episode now.

What the hell was Glenn Hoddle even thinking after the penalty shootout at Saint-Étienne? :mad: :nono:

Just finished episode 2. That was a good watch - the entire build up to the CL final.

I was buzzing seeing Ole.

man we were so good

A very nostalgic watch.

However, as much as I love Becks, he really was a circus outside of the pitch. Fergie made the right call to sell him at the right time.

The shit that he had to go through for that red card was sickening and heart breaking though.

SAF doesn’t come out of this with much credit imo

Episode 2 redeems (?) The boss.

How he and the rest of the team protected Beckham after the world cup is very heartwarming.

Cant help but wonder how today's manager and team would react to a similar situation.

If it's got loads of United and more of Beckham making pasta at G.Nev's gaff I'll be tuning in

Episode 2 redeems (?) The boss.

How he and the rest of the team protected Beckham after the world cup is very heartwarming.

Cant help but wonder how today's manager and team would react to a similar situation.

The supporters were great too. Every home and away match fans rallied behind the player. It was us against the world. "argentina argentina" "there's only one david beckham" Of course it helped that we were winning.

Today's worldwide fanbase (after that England red card) would be arguing amongst themselves on social media throwing slander all over the place. Absolute clownshow it would've been.

Came to post this. Horrendous management. Even before the tournament started he said he wasn't in it and his head was in the right place all through the media. Then totally threw him under the bus after the red.

Fergie would never have done that.

Yeah I don't think Fergie ever singled out individuals in public and in front of the cameras like that.

Instead he always diverted his anger at the opposition or the press and media :lol:

Seemed genuinely gutted about leaving United. His friend said he thinks he never really got over it.

Ferguson accepting a Barca bid without any conversation, and refusing his calls was cold. That’s why I’ll never hold it against players when they do what’s best for their career, be it a move for money or whatever. The way clubs discard players is insane. He said he wanted to plead to stay, but in the end it likely was for the best that Ferguson refused his calls cause he’s not sure he would have been able to convince Ferguson to change his minand it would have broken his heart further.

Florentino saying “it sounds bad, but with all due respect to Manchester United, he was born to play for Real Madrid” annoyed me.

He seems to have really enjoyed his time in different leagues and clubs though. My biggest criticism of him was allowing his kids to become Arsenal fans. How the feck does that even happen? His dad must have nightmares about it regularly seeing how big of a fan he was/is.

Fergie made the right call to sell him at the right time.

Beckham got his hands on LaLiga and a Spanish Super Cup after leaving Old Trafford.

While United fell to their joint lowest league position under Ferguson in the two seasons that followed and won just an FA Cup before Keane made his exit in 2005.

As a result the former fiery skipper believes his teammate left a gaping hole in the squad and likened his exit to that of Paul Ince in 1995.

'I don’t know if it was the best for Manchester United [selling David Beckham].' Keane said.

I still think he could have helped us out for a few more seasons. He could have been here like Giggs, Scholes and Nev, but yeah, Ferguson ended up rebuilding nicely.

What a player this guy was. He was absolutely brilliant in that 99 season, and you forget how much of a celebrity superstar he was at that time. (Still is now)

What would he be worth in today's market? Jack Grealish went for £100 million, and let's be honest he's a poundland version of Becks.

My wife has got me watching this but for her it’s about the eye candy. It’s like I’m not even in the room and I’m a handsome guy. Anyway I detested united and all their players when they were winning everything in sight but I couldn’t hate two players on that team, Beckham and Giggs. I couldn’t even read or watch anything about united back because of the bitterness then but as I’ve grown older I can see they were a great team that had an extraordinary mgr. The show is quite fascinating. There I said it.

Yeah I don't think Fergie ever singled out individuals in public and in front of the cameras like that.

Instead he always diverted his anger at the opposition or the press and media :lol:
God knows what he said in the dressing room but I can't ever recall him throwing a player under the bus in public

Watching the 2nd episode. His treatment by the press after the Argentina game. My God, poor kid.

Hoddle is a grade A twat, and an awful manager.

Victoria came across as very selfish and an attention seeker telling him she was pregnant before such a huge game. Just tell him 2 hours later.

Simeone is such a cnut :lol:

Makes me extra happy we knocked them out in 98 now.

My wife has got me watching this but for her it’s about the eye candy. It’s like I’m not even in the room and I’m a handsome guy. Anyway I detested united and all their players when they were winning everything in sight but I couldn’t hate two players on that team, Beckham and Giggs. I couldn’t even read or watch anything about united back because of the bitterness then but as I’ve grown older I can see they were a great team that had an extraordinary mgr. The show is quite fascinating. There I said it.
Is that what your mum told ya

Watched the first two episodes and it’s been a good watch so far.. loved him celebrating with the King for his first goal.

Makes me realise just how many hard b*stards we had during that time too :devil:

This must be a bittersweet watch for United fans in light of the shite you're served at Old Trafford today.

Thought it was a really good watch. As someone who only knew Beckham at United as a child and didn't really follow Beckham at his other clubs my takeaways were:

• I had no idea the hate he got after 98 and how it was fueled by Hoddle. Not quite sure how he did so well on the back of that season. They didn't touch on it but was the runner up for the Balloon d'Or in 1999
  • SAF's management style probably fit the time but it was actually quite problematic (more a thing of the time than SAF himself, as he did adapt in later years)
  • SAF made the right decision in letting him leave - I think the media circus around him was creating a distraction for the club, whether Beckham wanted it or not
  • His career after United was pretty underwhelming. I knew he did okay at Madrid and the final season he had an impact but more a critique of the Galatico era not living up to expectations
  • I also had no idea how underwhelming his time at LA Galaxy was

There were some other bits I'd have liked to see, aftermath of the 2004 Euros when he skied the penalty, his second loan spell at Milan and return to OT. Also would have liked to see a bit more on Inter Miami. Only 4 episodes so I get why they weren't included but a very good watch.

Learned a lot about him and his career, even if I knew the major headlines and moves he made.

OIP.YirRB4MmaiqPOn2OeF6ddgHaEj

The actual interviewer.

Just about to start the first episode now.

I'd say the vast majority of United fans over maybe 30 years old, knew how good he actually was and how much he loved the club despite the fame and array of major clubs he played for.

I've always said he was underrated as an actual footballer because alot of people who didn't even watch him play believed he was more a celebrity than a footballer.

Without even seeing this documentary, from what I've seen over the years, he loved to play football first and foremost and would practice longer than anyone. He was a good all rounder to begin with, hence why he was scouted at a young age, but he perfected his FK technique, crossing and passing, which eventually became his trademark attributes. Obvsiously there were flaws to his game such as headering, lack of using both feet in dribbling, pace but no player ever is expected to have everything.

Hes always come across as someone who loves the club to me and supported us since he was young because of his dad I believe? Despite being a southerner, his love for the club is as genuine as the likes of local lads such as Wes Brown and Rashford.

Forget his personal life or his business ventures... as a footballer and player/fan of our club I have nothing but love for him.

Just about to start the first episode now.

I'd say the vast majority of United fans over maybe 30 years old, knew how good he actually was and how much he loved the club despite the fame and array of major clubs he played for.

I've always said he was underrated as an actual footballer because alot of people who didn't even watch him play believed he was more a celebrity than a footballer.

Without even seeing this documentary, from what I've seen over the years, he loved to play football first and foremost and would practice longer than anyone. He was a good all rounder to begin with, hence why he was scouted at a young age, but he perfected his FK technique, crossing and passing, which eventually became his trademark attributes. Obvsiously there were flaws to his game such as headering, lack of using both feet in dribbling, pace but no player ever is expected to have everything.

Hes always come across as someone who loves the club to me and supported us since he was young because of his dad I believe? Despite being a southerner, his love for the club is as genuine as the likes of local lads such as Wes Brown and Rashford.

Forget his personal life or his business ventures... as a footballer and player/fan of our club I have nothing but love for him.
Spot on. It's basically what the Netflix series also points out. Its really good.

98/99 - no season for any fan of any club will ever touch the perfection of that.

I'm not even 10 mins in and I'm loving all this old footage. This is absolutely crucial material for united fans imo. Some of this footage has never been published, prior, I assume?
Yeah, I'm on episode three and loving it. I won't say anything because I don't want to spoiler it for you. Yeah, all United fans should watch this, no doubt. I'm not sure if there is unreleased footage, I mean I was around back then, but my memory isn't that good. But watching it makes me sad and happy at the same time.

This is very good. Although bittersweet. Everything in life felt so much more optimistic then. Not just football. And boy was the football good…
It's incredible. For me it's a trip back in time for many reasons but one thing remains - Keane is godlike at United and his opinion is more significant than the likes of the Nevilles, Giggs and Scholes, who have all been born and raised in Greater Manchester, not Manchester as a city but the outskirts.

As I'm watching this Becks series, the only commanding voice I'm hearing thus far is Roy's.