Television Beckham's Netflix documentary

I remember seeing the way he clearly deliberately paraded his face with tiny plasters over his eyebrow and wanting him gone.

Loved revisiting the good days, but nothing in that documentary has changed my mind. In fact, I had completely forgotten he had a strop about staying in Milan and not wanting to go back to LA.
The way this place blew up that day with something like just a total of 400 people online was something else :lol:

Just finished this. It was... Odd. I was at the game versus Inter. I definitely remember cheering every time Simeone got clattered. Definitely don't remember the "one David Beckham" chant. Looks like the same chant appears at the end of the CL game Vs Real Madrid. I was there too, and also don't remember that...

Also some of the commentary on the footage of various games seems peculiar. Unrecognisable commentators, talking about "Beckham seems out of sorts at the moment, distracted", the kind you'd hear in some sort of plucky underdog sports movie. It all comes across very disingenuous.

I had zero opinion of Victoria before this, but she comes across really well.

Glenn Hoddle is an arsehole.

Also some of the commentary on the footage of various games seems peculiar. Unrecognisable commentators, talking about "Beckham seems out of sorts at the moment, distracted", the kind you'd hear in some sort of plucky underdog sports movie. It all comes across very disingenuous.

Of course, it was recorded especially for the documentary... They all do that.

Of course, it was recorded especially for the documentary... They all do that.

That’s a lot of rope you’re giving them.

It’s an egregious rewriting of history. A work of fantasy. The man clearly has a paper thin ego.

Hard to watch the thing to conclusion (I haven’t) and hard to imagine anyone has thought better of him for watching it.

The fella was a frequent force of nature on a football pitch up to and including his Real Madrid stint, with the talent to back it up. But good lord he’s turned into an empty headed twat since that period.

That’s a lot of rope you’re giving them.

It’s an egregious rewriting of history. A work of fantasy. The man clearly has a paper thin ego.

Oh, there's definitely some fantasy there. I watched episode 3 today and I found it laughable when he says that he didn't want to leave United, "But I loved Real Madrid". Based on what, exactly, did he "love" Real before he moved there? He also claimed he didn't cut his hair for publicity, etc, but the way he hid his new hairstyle - or lack of - until going on the pitch against Leicester says otherwise.

As for the commentary, yeah, but again, I'm used to it. They do that all the time in Netflix sports documentaries like Drive to Survive and Break Point. I don't appreciate it at all.

The way they've rewritten the Inter match was silly, but at least they didn't make Beckham extra heroic there or something. He did play well and set up both our goals. The Greece game, mind you...

Watched episode 1 and thought it was boring even though it had a lot of United stuff.

Only person who I could listen to all day is SAF.

Watched episode 1 and thought it was boring even though it had a lot of United stuff.

Only person who I could listen to all day is SAF.

Do yourself a favour and leave it at that.

I watched the 2nd and fell asleep for most of the third about a week ago, couldn't be arsed watching anymore of it. It's just a pile of rewritten drivel.

Just saw this on donedeal if any Beckham fans want a piece of history. I'd buy if I had the money lying around and somewhere to keep it.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/david-and-victoria-beckham-2001-mercedes-s500-lwb/34846243

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2lkdGgiOjEyMDAsImhlaWdodCI6MTIwMH19LCJrZXkiOiJwaG90b18yNzIyNDI4NzcifQ==

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2lkdGgiOjEyMDAsImhlaWdodCI6MTIwMH19LCJrZXkiOiJwaG90b18yNzIyNDI4OTgifQ==

eyJidWNrZXQiOiJkb25lZGVhbC5pZS1waG90b3MiLCJlZGl0cyI6eyJ0b0Zvcm1hdCI6ImpwZWciLCJyZXNpemUiOnsiZml0IjoiaW5zaWRlIiwid2lkdGgiOjEyMDAsImhlaWdodCI6MTIwMH19LCJrZXkiOiJwaG90b18yNzIyNDI4OTcifQ==

I remember seeing the way he clearly deliberately paraded his face with tiny plasters over his eyebrow and wanting him gone.

Loved revisiting the good days, but nothing in that documentary has changed my mind. In fact, I had completely forgotten he had a strop about staying in Milan and not wanting to go back to LA.

Yeah many even argued Ole was playing better out on the right than he was at the time.

Yeah many even argued Ole was playing better out on the right than he was at the time.
He was, from what I remember.

Beckham was a world class player at the peak of his abilities. Unfortunately for him, the one league where he could showcase it was the one league he decided to leave for good relatively early on in his career. Never technically at the level required in Spain, and AC and PSG stints were just footnotes to go with a money making exercise in the US.

I remember there was talk of Arsene getting him on a short term contract when he was training with us for a short while (early 2010's was it). Geriatric Beckham setting up a geriatric returning Titi would've been fun.

Beckham was a world class player at the peak of his abilities. Unfortunately for him, the one league where he could showcase it was the one league he decided to leave for good relatively early on in his career. Never technically at the level required in Spain, and AC and PSG stints were just footnotes to go with a money making exercise in the US.

I remember there was talk of Arsene getting him on a short term contract when he was training with us for a short while (early 2010's was it). Geriatric Beckham setting up a geriatric returning Titi would've been fun.
That's just not true, though. And he was very good at Milan and PSG in his stints there, and was adored by his managers.

Solskjær was not a natural winger, but he did a great job there for a while. Regardless of the bootkick and Beckham's theatrical use of plasters, we got rid at the right time. Loved Beckham at his peak as a footballer, he was brilliant for us until he fell out with Fergie and it's nice to remember those days now, especially through historically accurate archival footage.

I have absolutely no time for this documentary. The 'creative' editing and fictional commentary are all the bullshit hallmarks of the celebrity culture cavity in which he and his marriage played such a big part.

Shame about the direction they took with this documentary. We'll always have those 480p United season reviews on YouTube.

So much wrong with this.
He was technically more than good enough to play in any league for any team.
Also it wasn’t „unfortunate“ for him. He had already won 6 PL and a CL with his boyhood club. This is more than most (world class) players have ever won / will ever win. A couple of PL and/or CL titles more for him would not make up for the mega Beckham brand he was building.

It was for him like job done and dream come true by extremely successfully playing for United. And he still left Madrid with a La Liga title.
It makes sense for players like Scholes or Modric who are so low profile off the pitch and just want to play football to try to win even the 5th CL or 11th PL.
Not for Beckham with all his money and fame.
But we also got rid at the right time. Already in the 2002/03 season with us he wasn’t the player he was in previous seasons. Still very good, but not great any longer.

So much wrong with this.
He was technically more than good enough to play in any league for any team.
Also it wasn’t „unfortunate“ for him. He had already won 6 PL and a CL with his boyhood club. This is more than most (world class) players have ever won / will ever win. A couple of PL and/or CL titles more for him would not make up for the mega Beckham brand he was building.

It was for him like job done and dream come true by extremely successfully playing for United. And he still left Madrid with a La Liga title.
It makes sense for players like Scholes or Modric who are so low profile off the pitch and just want to play football to try to win even the 5th CL or 11th PL.
Not for Beckham with all his money and fame.
But we also got rid at the right time. Already in the 2002/03 season with us he wasn’t the player he was in previous seasons. Still very good, but not great any longer.

He wasn't though. Not at the level I'm referring to. He was very good (and never consistently at that), just not at the world class level he was capable of very regularly with United.

He wasn't though. Not at the level I'm referring to. He was very good (and never consistently at that), just not at the world class level he was capable of very regularly with United.

He was. The problem was Figo was better than him in the same position.

You literally just proved my point?:confused:

Unless im mistaking you mentioned he wasn't at the technical ability required in Spain and Italy. My point is he was clearly at that level he just signed for the club in Spain that had the world's nr. 1 right winger in Figo. Beckham was the 2nd best in his position in the world imo.

Enjoyed this, wild how many managers Madrid went through when Beckham first joined them.

Finally gotten round to watching this and enjoyed it. There’s plenty to nitpick, of course, but what an incredible career and life he’s had. I’ll never comprehend how people that famous cope with all the attention. In fact, most go on to implode spectacularly. He still seems relatively normal, which is a feat in itself.

Only caveat is that it served as a reminder that the United I loved is long gone. Don’t think it’ll ever come back, at least not with the level of camaraderie we used to have. It was a shame to see him go to Madrid back then, but rather than focus on the acrimonious split, I prefer to remember the good times. And boy were they good. What a player and what a team that was.