Barcelona: Charged with corruption .... again!

Isn't this just whataboutery, though? Just because the rest of the football world is dirty doesn't mean that a club treating an employee shittily shouldn't be held to account.

So does he want to stay purely to get the money he was owed? Because I'm struggling to understand why these players want to stay, and why all these new players want to come, if a club is treating its players so shittily?

How many clubs don’t pay their staff ?

Are they not paying their staff? I don't know the ins and outs, but from what I gather, if you stay they need to pay you and have been doing with other players.

Last edited:
Are they not paying their staff? I don't know the ins and outs, but from what I gather, if you stay that need to pay you and have been doing with other players.

No, they haven’t been paying their staff in full for over 2 years, and now they are trying to use emotional blackmail to get the same members of staff to forfeit what they are owed.
They could you know, stop fecking signing Christensen and Kesse and pay their staff what they owe them, but alas no.
They give zero shits that De Jong for example has been paid like an Aston Villa player for two seasons, something he agreed to in order to help out the club. They now think signing the above players is more important than paying him back and that he should just “suck it up”, even going public with it.

So does he want to stay purely to get the money he was owed? Because I'm struggling to understand why these players want to stay, and why all these new players want to come, if a club is treating its players so shittily?

Are they not paying their staff? I don't know the ins and outs, but from what I gather, if you stay they need to pay you and have been doing with other players.
Because it's a huge club, a fabulous city and brings with it enormous potential for sponsorships etc. Are you saying that trying to negotiate a previously agreed upon contract down because a company has made poor financial decisions in the players' best interests? How would you feel if your employer did the same to you for reasons unrelated to performances and entirely down to their poor financial planning? Would you think it was totally above board? I honestly find the defending of Barça on this baffling.

Ok how does this work, being on the brink of bankruptcy, signing players both on free and also buying them while keeping all your players on lower wages or even getting them to give you permission to pay them later? Just don't get it.

No, they haven’t been paying their staff in full for over 2 years, and now they are trying to use emotional blackmail to get the same members of staff to forfeit what they are owed.
They could you know, stop fecking signing Christensen and Kesse and pay their staff what they owe them, but alas no.
They give zero shits that De Jong for example has been paid like an Aston Villa player for two seasons, something he agreed to in order to help out the club. They now think signing the above players is more important than paying him back and that he should just “suck it up”, even going public with it.

The player accepted and signed a contract with new conditions and if he stays and refuses to renegotiate the contract he will earn what is indicated.

The terms of his contract were modified and signed by the player. Barcelona have paid him under the new contract.

Which was an incredible goodwill gesture from the player. And yet the president of your club has gone public in that the club have absolutely zero intention of honouring that modified contract.

He had no problem with it mind when the player was getting absolutely stiffed for the past two years.

I thought Barca were owned by the fans? Did the fans have any input into the financial decisions? Or would that be like Angela Rayner running the Exchequer with her NVQ Level 2 in social care, a worthy qualification but entirely inappropriate for the job unless some of the fans were finance people.

I thought Barca were owned by the fans? Did the fans have any input into the financial decisions? Or would that be like Angela Rayner running the Exchequer with her NVQ Level 2 in social care, a worthy qualification but entirely inappropriate for the job unless some of the fans were finance people.
The club members elect the president etc, who make the actual financial decisions.

Because it's a huge club, a fabulous city and brings with it enormous potential for sponsorships etc. Are you saying that trying to negotiate a previously agreed upon contract down because a company has made poor financial decisions in the players' best interests? How would you feel if your employer did the same to you for reasons unrelated to performances and entirely down to their poor financial planning? Would you think it was totally above board? I honestly find the defending of Barça on this baffling.

Not in my profession, I just get made redundant like what's happened a few times before, and what's just happened to 2/3 of my current work after a takeover.

celebrating players making public statements against their current employer ... really sums Laporta up. Bayern should absolutely rinse them.

Not in my profession, I just get made redundant like what's happened a few times before, and what's just happened to 2/3 of my current work fter a takeover.
Sorry mate, that sucks. I would've thought given this you'd be bang on the side of the employee ahead of the employer though?

Sorry mate, that sucks. I would've thought given this you'd be bang on the side of the employee ahead of the employer though?

I am in part, but it's also just a reminder how brutal business is. I'm not sure if it was clear with my wording but I'm one of the lucky ones this time.

The player should get what he's owed, let me make that clear, and I'm sure by law he'll be entitled to anyway.

Going forward, if there is a new wage structure, and some current players are adhering to it, and new signings are adhering to it, then to help straighten things out, I think the club is entitled to ask you to sign a new contract or we will try and sell you. Now, they can't force the player to do that, and they can't force him out, and he can stay and get what's he's owed, thats his decision.

Players get traded all the time for all sorts of reasons, to cut costs, to pay off debts, to raise funds to buy new players, to maximise value in a contract etc. As long as legally De Jong gets paid what he owes, then that's ok with me as I dont see it different than any of the other reasons for selling.

The player accepted and signed a contract with new conditions and if he stays and refuses to renegotiate the contract he will earn what is indicated.
You club have a proven history of threatening to bench players if they don’t sign your contracts. Let’s not pretend it’s as simple as you’re trying to pretend it is.

It seems wrong that they could end up keeping a player due to refusing to pay him money owed.
They would be keeping a player due to holding him to the contract he voluntarily signed.
It can't be that they are being unethical by trying to get out of contracts, but also unethical by trying to stick to them.

Which includes £17m of deferred?

Then there’s all the others in similar boat? Pique is what… £40m?

Yes, the new contract he signed includes deferred money.
That's why the numbers are so high.

Yes, there are several players in the same circumstances such as Piqué, Alba, Busquets and Ter Stegen.

Signed and renewed players are already within the new salary scale.

I just did a quick search on the Barca wage bill and it comes up to 560m euro a year which is an insane figure when you consider how many star players they have gotten rid of. Who the hell are they paying these massive wages to? Real Madrid by comparison has a wagebill of 400m.

I just did a quick search on the Barca wage bill and it comes up to 560m euro a year which is an insane figure when you consider how many star players they have gotten rid of. Who the hell are they paying these massive wages to? Real Madrid by comparison has a wagebill of 400m.

That wage bill includes deferred salaries in excess of €100M and I think Messi's loyalty bonus (40M)

Apart from that amount, other sports sections and the academy are also included.

We will have to wait a few months to see more accurately how the wage bill will be.

It seems wrong that they could end up keeping a player due to refusing to pay him money owed.
More like it's moronic how Barcelona are willing to risk throwing away 65m just to avoid paying 17m.

Add the fact that they'll still need to pay FDJ wages in the end :lol:

They're a joke of a club.

They would be keeping a player due to holding him to the contract he voluntarily signed.
It can't be that they are being unethical by trying to get out of contracts, but also unethical by trying to stick to them.
Agreed. Trying to stick to the contracts would not be unethical.

A Madrid fan defending Barça...I've seen everything now. Are we witnessing spain's answer to the BDL?!

In Spain there is a very strict FFP and if Barcelona were in debt even more they could not register them.
How it happened last year.
We will see if the signings will be registered or not.
They cheat their own rules for Madrid and Barca. Everyone knows this. Even with them the league is in a near collapse position. Without them …. Ouch.
Madrid and Barca KNOW this, and the massive mistake they made was trying to justify the creation of the super league by basically saying without it they would have nowhere to play. They pulled the curtain aside.
A poster mentioned it above, but if the interest rates continue to rise the entire country of Spain could be looking financial collapse in the face, much less Barca and Madrid.

Italy “should” be in similar straights, but that mess is so murky who knows what clandestine revenues keep it afloat.

Most common practice in the world in the last 2 years. Barça situation is not normal. Many companies just fire you and leave you without any income.
I'd rather get fired than made to work for a percentage of my salary for two years, only to be asked to waive the rest which was mutually agreed to be paid at a later time. Shameless!

There are exactly 0 issues with TRYING to renegotiate any contract.
There are several issues if TRYING includes objectionable practices such as threatening to bench/send to the U23 etc.

stupid take.
united gives 8 figures money every year to the glazers, from your revenues.
11M this month.
is that a circus?
Yes. :lol:

They cheat their own rules for Madrid and Barca. Everyone knows this. Even with them the league is in a near collapse position. Without them …. Ouch.
Madrid and Barca KNOW this, and the massive mistake they made was trying to justify the creation of the super league by basically saying without it they would have nowhere to play. They pulled the curtain aside.

That is why Barcelona had to let go for free to the current Ballon d'Or and who had been at the club for 20 years.

And yes, it's a shame that my club supports the Super League.

By the way, as someone who has been ashamed of my own club more times than I can count, I do not understand how any Barca fan can defend their club's disgraceful antics and pretend that these are normal practices.

When they begun their financial rebuilt I actually thought most of what they were doing was quite reasonable and made sense.
Right now I’m shaking my head in disbelief. Nothing makes sense anymore and I have no idea, what they are doing.

When they begun their financial rebuilt I actually thought most of what they were doing was quite reasonable and made sense.
Right now I’m shaking my head in disbelief. Nothing makes sense anymore and I have no idea, what they are doing.
I am at this very point.

Getting rid of big wages, using stopgap signings like Luuk de Jong to secure CL, asking for wage deferrals, even selling future income with a discount. All very valid.

But trying to sign 3, 4, 5 big name players while kicking the can further down the road? Just no.

Even with selling another 2 or 3 big earners and not signing anyone they would still get top 4 in La Liga and therefore CL football. They are not challenging for a CL win anyways.

If they spend €200-300 million this summer are they not in this exact position next summer or am I really misunderstanding the situation?

If they spend €200-300 million this summer are they not in this exact position next summer or am I really misunderstanding the situation?

In theory after activating the second lever, Barcelona will spend part of the money on debts and another portion on signings.
With the salary reduction that Barcelona intends, the Spotify agreement and the improvement of tourism is supposed to return the club to profits.

Then there will be reality and for that we will have to wait.

In theory after activating the second lever, Barcelona will spend part of the money on debts and another portion on signings.
With the salary reduction that Barcelona intends, the Spotify agreement and the improvement of tourism is supposed to return the club to profits.

Then there will be reality and for that we will have to wait.
Surely with all the players you intend on signing it will effectively be the same if not more no?

Surely with all the players you intend on signing it will effectively be the same if not more no?

That's what interests me too. This year the wage bill is €560M, but as I have read it includes €100M in deferred salaries, it can also include Messi's loyalty bonus (€40M), Koeman's dismissal. That amount is also included in all club and academy sports.
Basketball is the most expensive by far (€30M).

I guess some amortization will have run out this year. Lenglet is about to be loaned to Tottenham, Umtiti to Rennes, Depay may be sold...

As I say we will have to wait.

I am at this very point.

Getting rid of big wages, using stopgap signings like Luuk de Jong to secure CL, asking for wage deferrals, even selling future income with a discount. All very valid.

But trying to sign 3, 4, 5 big name players while kicking the can further down the road? Just no.

Even with selling another 2 or 3 big earners and not signing anyone they would still get top 4 in La Liga and therefore CL football. They are not challenging for a CL win anyways.
Exactly. And it’s not like they need these big signings to make the cl. They should still be able to make top four without Lewandowski and so on. It’s weird.

Exactly. And it’s not like they need these big signings to make the cl. They should still be able to make top four without Lewandowski and so on. It’s weird.

They can’t just be targeting top 4 and stagnating while paying down debt because those massive commercial deals they have are based on winning titles not just finishing 4th. Look at Arsenal for example once we started paying down the stadium debt and stopped signing players to compete for titles we started to fall behind commercially and we fell behind the more successful clubs. Signings like Lewandowski are aimed at winning the CL to keep the sponsors happy to pay premium amounts.