Aston Villa appoint Unai Emery as manager

Has nobody told Unay you can't just dramtically turn a teams fortunes around in 1-2 years?

It's supposed to be a process that takes 4-5 years, maybe even longer.

He didn't win the league in his first season, they finished 2nd after winning 4 league titles in a row.

He won it his 2nd season though.

Of course, that brilliant Monaco team won it in 16/17.

Has nobody told Unay you can't just dramtically turn a teams fortunes around in 1-2 years?

It's a very different context and those kind of parallels are a bit useless. It's possible to just appreciate what he's doing.

Does anyone know how good Pep would actually be with a normal team and having to build it into something?

He might worse than Southgate.
Good point and exactly why Pep wouldn’t touch us with a barge pole.
I am concerned that Southgate might get the job but, no cancel that no buts he would be worse than ETH.
I’d take any one from Louise Enrique, Allegri and is there any chance of bringing big fat Ron out of retirement?
Nah he’s 85 now. So for me it’s between Allegri, Enrique and McKenna.
Emery will not leave Villa for us in a million years, he’s onto something good at Villa but I would have him if the chance arose.

Unai Emery is doing an amazing job at Villa & obviously there is a proper structure in place to enable him.

And you need to have new ownership, change all personal around the manager and spend a 600m, largely on players from your former clubs or homeland.

Great win. Reminds of back in the day when I used to post on a Valencia board and fans there were pissed off at him because he kept taking Valencia to 4th and they wanted more. He was doing it as the youngest manager in la liga. But they got rid... Seemed short sighted at the time, and has very much proven the case

The most underrated manager in world football, and mainly because of all the stupid memes about his good ebening pronounciation at Arsenal.

His record is outstanding, glad at least Villa owner had some sense. Amazing tactician and consistent across a lot of clubs.

Provide him with unlimited supply of hair gel and I'm sure he's ours

The most underrated manager in world football, and mainly because of all the stupid memes about his good ebening pronounciation at Arsenal.

His record is outstanding, glad at least Villa owner had some sense. Amazing tactician and consistent across a lot of clubs.

You only need to read through the thread to know the Good Ebening 'patter' still goes on.

Genuniely think he's been one of the best managerial appointments by a club in recent times. From where they were to now where they are is nothing short of incredible.

It's a very different context and those kind of parallels are a bit useless. It's possible to just appreciate what he's doing.

Yeah in the context that Emery has taken over a team that was on course to be relegated and has them in the Champions league less than 2 years later beating Bayern Munich. So I appreciate what he's doing at Villa, they've been on a contant upward trajectory. Not sure a lot of people appreciate what Ten Hag's doing at United though.

And besides it was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment.

But he's not been at Villa for 6 years and built an entirely new squad yet. I'm confused as to how he's managing to do so well

Yeah in the context that Emery has taken over a team that was on course to be relegated and has them in the Champions league less than 2 years later beating Bayern Munich. So I appreciate what he's doing at Villa, they've been on a contant upward trajectory. Not sure a lot of people appreciate what Ten Hag's doing at United though.

And besides it was a bit of a tongue in cheek comment.
Fair enough.

He really shows you the difference a good manager makes.

Yep, many good managers go into a club and change fortunes of clubs and improve perception of players previously seen as rubbish despite what some of our fans will try and convince themselves of.

Instilled that winning mentality and steel that he had in his Sevilla and Villarreal teams. Think he's quite a likable guy too. Arsenal got rid too soon and Villas reaping the rewards. Massively underrated, even before he came to England some felt his European success was in the 'other' European trophy but to win it four times is an incredible feat.

I'm sure it's been mentioned but can only manage a team to success with 'Villa' in their name. What a weird coincidence.

People judge his time at Arsenal unfairly. He got our dump of a team to the EL final, something even Wenger couldn't do.
They point out his transfers ie Pepe forgetting Pepe was also not his signing, our previous DOF was sacked before he could be in deep trouble when it was being revealed how corrupt the Pepe signing was. When Emery was there our dressing room also downed tools. Aubamayeng, Ozil were very toxic. I am a match going Gooner and I was there in those games where Swansea, Southampton etc made us look mugs at home and to anyone watching it was obvious some of the big players simply were joggling around not giving one feck.

After he was forced out by the dressing room, Arteta came in with Edu and I think at that time it was apparent to the board Ozil first and then Aubamayeng later needed to go. Both were our best players, assists and goals wise but the decision was made to sell them for the betterment of the team. He was heavily criticised for it, even here, but it turned out to be a great decision as the club backed him on this. Emery did not have this luxury nor did he have an Edu like thing. United need to do this and get rid of Bruno and Rashford and other entitled 'stars' who absolutely show no desire or are in no way deserving of a captains armband.

Saying this, I do feel Emery has issues handling toxic characters in the dressing room, PSG is one example, then Arsenal. However I think he was at Arsenal simply at the wrong time and its unfair he's judged on this. I think the club were in denial when Emery was here about our real quality of the team compared to maybe their lofty view. It was only when Emery left did everyone realise how awful our team was and it needed major changes, major decisions and some hard choices. I do feel with good backing he can be a success at a big PL club. At United with a good DOF with him and the club backing him to get rid of your underperforming players, he could be a massive success.

break the bank and get this guy.
You are at a big club which has just beaten Bayern Munich in The Champions League. You are in the top four and things look good, you know your players, your players know you and know what you want.

Would you seriously chuck all that in to manage a team with the likes of Rashford, no recognisable centre forward and a bunch of players who on the face of it have no confidence in their collective abilities?

I think the best we can hope for is an out of work manager because any one who is currently in employment will need his head examined if he leaves his current employers for the shitfest that will await him at OT.

People judge his time at Arsenal unfairly. He got our dump of a team to the EL final, something even Wenger couldn't do.
They point out his transfers ie Pepe forgetting Pepe was also not his signing, our previous DOF was sacked before he could be in deep trouble when it was being revealed how corrupt the Pepe signing was. When Emery was there our dressing room also downed tools. Aubamayeng, Ozil were very toxic. I am a match going Gooner and I was there in those games where Swansea, Southampton etc made us look mugs at home and to anyone watching it was obvious some of the big players simply were joggling around not giving one feck.

After he was forced out by the dressing room, Arteta came in with Edu and I think at that time it was apparent to the board Ozil first and then Aubamayeng later needed to go. Both were our best players, assists and goals wise but the decision was made to sell them for the betterment of the team. He was heavily criticised for it, even here, but it turned out to be a great decision as the club backed him on this. Emery did not have this luxury nor did he have an Edu like thing. United need to do this and get rid of Bruno and Rashford and other entitled 'stars' who absolutely show no desire or are in no way deserving of a captains armband.

Saying this, I do feel Emery has issues handling toxic characters in the dressing room, PSG is one example, then Arsenal. However I think he was at Arsenal simply at the wrong time and its unfair he's judged on this. I think the club were in denial when Emery was here about our real quality of the team compared to maybe their lofty view. It was only when Emery left did everyone realise how awful our team was and it needed major changes, major decisions and some hard choices. I do feel with good backing he can be a success at a big PL club. At United with a good DOF with him and the club backing him to get rid of your underperforming players, he could be a massive success.
Your summary is balanced, and with regards to the bolded part, I don't think any managers can really handle it if they don't have full support and buy-in from their hierarchy. You basically have cases like Pep where as soon as a player doesn't fit his expectations, he'll put him to a side and his hierarchy will handle it by getting rid of the players, but that's basically the best case scenario. If you don't have that, it's a really tricky position to be in (and I feel Ten Hag doesn't get enough recognition for how he handled the Ronaldo situation and, to a lesser extent, the Sancho one).

You are at a big club which has just beaten Bayern Munich in The Champions League. You are in the top four and things look good, you know your players, your players know you and know what you want.

Would you seriously chuck all that in to manage a team with the likes of Rashford, no recognisable centre forward and a bunch of players who on the face of it have no confidence in their collective abilities?

I think the best we can hope for is an out of work manager because any one who is currently in employment will need his head examined if he leaves his current employers for the shitfest that will await him at OT.
Right now, probably not. In the coming months, I'd hope that our new footballing structure would be able to pitch an ambitious plan to any manager who want to go far in their career. And at the end of the day, with all the issues we have, the name (and I guess the salary) of being Man Utd manager still has appeal.