Aston Villa appoint Unai Emery as manager

We really should be making overtures to this guy. He’s a serious manager

Easily one of the best managers on the planet. Absolutely world class.

He really shows you the difference a good manager makes.

Just shows what complete donkeys have been running United this past decade.

The Villa fans must be loving every second of this. And fair play to them, proper club with proper fans.

I will admit that I didn't want him anywhere near the United job due to his stint at Arsenal. Looking back on it, Arsenal back then were as disfunctional as we were under Woodward, so no surprise there.

His post Arsenal managerial career was on the up. He overachieved at Villareal, even took them to the CL semis(first time since 2005), and now his amazing work at Villa.

I wish we could poach him from Villa, but the neutral in me wishes he can stay there a bit longer and maybe eventually challenge for the title.(sick and tired of our main rivals always being the ones challenging)

He really shows you the difference a good manager makes.
No excuses, no bullshit, clear style of play, ability to rotate and quickly introduce new players. Emery’s stock is probably the highest in his career now and he’s been excellent and extremely successful with Sevilla when he earned tier 1 move to PSG.

The Villa fans must be loving every second of this. And fair play to them, proper club with proper fans.

I will admit that I didn't want him anywhere near the United job due to his stint at Arsenal. Looking back on it, Arsenal back then were as disfunctional as we were under Woodward, so no surprise there.

His post Arsenal managerial career was on the up. He overachieved at Villareal, even took them to the CL semis(first time since 2005), and now his amazing work at Villa.

I wish we could poach him from Villa, but the neutral in me wishes he can stay there a bit longer and maybe eventually challenge for the title.(sick and tired of our main rivals always being the ones challenging)
See? The lesson is that you should be patient and trust the manager, especially if he worked in a dysfunctional environment. Give Ten Hag more time.

He's excellent. I've maintained his "failures" at PSG and Arsenal are massively exaggerated, as if it's a black mark on him managing a big club, and don't take context into consideration. He's doing a wonderful job at Villa. Best manager in the league.

He's younger than Ten Hag too.

The sad part is that he'd probably turn us down.

No excuses, no bullshit, clear style of play, ability to rotate and quickly introduce new players. Emery’s stock is probably the highest in his career now and he’s been excellent and extremely successful with Sevilla when he earned tier 1 move to PSG.
Looking back on it, he almost topedoed his career when he went to that whole PSG circus, followed up by the Arsenal circus(at the time). Good thing he took a step down to Villareal and was able to reinvent himself. Something tells me that even if we went for him, our current disfunctionality would make him think long and hard if he wants to risk managing another PSG or Arsenal circus.

Proper manager.

Not sure if he would enjoy the media circus surrounding United, but I would put him above any of the young flavour of the month managers that get mentioned on the Cafe.

Looking back on it, he almost topedoed his career when he went to that whole PSG circus, followed up by the Arsenal circus(at the time). Good thing he took a step down to Villareal and was able to reinvent himself. Something tells me that even if we went for him, our current disfunctionality would make him think long and hard if he wants to risk managing another PSG or Arsenal circus.
It is also true that the two highest pressure jobs in his career were the least successful so far.

Have always rated Emery highly. Very much so. But I think the job he’s done at Villa is the outstanding moment in his resume. Even more so than the EL wins. He’s profoundly changed that club. So, so clever tactically, and very versatile.

It’s remarkable that Villa have a manager of his enormous quality, while we have an utter clown in Ten Hag. The disparity between the two will be more obvious than ever this coming weekend.

I would love him at United but there’s no chance to get him now. End of the season maybe. He faces a big uphill struggle to keep Villa in the CL every year, and if he can win them a trophy this year, or just have another great year, he might go out on a high and like the prospect of resurrecting a sleeping giant like United. That would be next level for him.

He was there for us to take before Villa got him, so he'd just tell us to do one, and who could blame him.

He's a top manager but Man Utd and him would be a bad mix I think, not that I feel he would be remotely interested in moving at the moment.

He's excellent. I've maintained his "failures" at PSG and Arsenal are massively exaggerated, as if it's a black mark on him managing a big club, and don't take context into consideration. He's doing a wonderful job at Villa. Best manager in the league.

What was his actual failure at PSG? They were still winning the league each season. Yeah the 6-1 at Barca was a choke but it was a bit of a freak how that occurred. I'd say them losing that 2-0 lead against you guys the next season was a bigger disaster, Tuchel was in charge for that one.

Arsenal was just a very difficult inheritance from Wenger who'd let the discipline and squad quality badly slip in his final years. His big money signings were Sokratis, Lucas Torreira and Nicolas Pepe who he didn't even want. Also could only work with Martinelli and Saka when they were 17/18 years old so very much the case of right man/wrong time and both parties would admit that now.

What was his actual failure at PSG? They were still winning the league each season. Yeah the 6-1 at Barca was a choke but it was a bit of a freak how that occurred. I'd say them losing that 2-0 lead against you guys the next season was a bigger disaster, Tuchel was in charge for that one.

Arsenal was just a very difficult inheritance from Wenger who'd let the discipline and squad quality badly slip in his final years. His big money signings were Sokratis, Lucas Torreira and Nicolas Pepe who he didn't even want. Also could only work with Martinelli and Saka when they were 17/18 years old so very much the case of right man/wrong time and both parties would admit that now.
I agree with all of that - I don't think they were failures at all, hence the quote marks. His "failure" at PSG was not winning the CL, which no one has, and Arsenal was a mess at the time, and was an impossible job - he wasn't quite as bad as was made out either.

Have always rated Emery highly. Very much so. But I think the job he’s done at Villa is the outstanding moment in his resume. Even more so than the EL wins. He’s profoundly changed that club. So, so clever tactically, and very versatile.

It’s remarkable that Villa have a manager of his enormous quality, while we have an utter clown in Ten Hag. The disparity between the two will be more obvious than ever this coming weekend.

I would love him at United but there’s no chance to get him now. End of the season maybe. He faces a big uphill struggle to keep Villa in the CL every year, and if he can win them a trophy this year, or just have another great year, he might go out on a high and like the prospect of resurrecting a sleeping giant like United. That would be next level for him.

I think eventually Barca or Real Madrid will come in for him, that's my fear. Valverde did fine for Barca domestically in his years and he has a similar style and background to Unai.

Real Madrid and Ancelotti just work but Carlo won't be there for eternity so interesting who they look at next. Winning the European cup will be the ultimate ambition for him.

The manager is the most important figure at a football club. He has transformed Villa, they would probably be mid-table under a lesser manager.

Very hard to look beyond ten hag for me, and pochettino i can as easily imagine being a success as delivering more of the same.

People will think im mad but Emery would be a good bet I think, or a punt like Potter though i wouldn't want that.

Taking us back to February 2022 when i put him up with the 2 candidates as a choice. Was always a top manager and unfairly treated at arsenal

He didn't win the league in his first season, they finished 2nd after winning 4 league titles in a row.

He won it his 2nd season though.

Certainly wouldnt be saying no if we magically could tempt him away from Villa.