Aston Villa appoint Unai Emery as manager

10 years from now is not what we are debating this, are we. 10 years from now maybe eth is a multiple PL winner, who cares. Maybe arteta finishes trophyless again and loses his way like Poch at spurs. No one knows.

As for now emery has achieved more. Emery got one season and finished 5th and took Arsenal to europa final. Arteta in his first full season took arsenal to 8th losing a europa semis to Emery's Villareal.

So because you can't see it yet, it's not the truth?

How many of the best managers today had empty CVs at one point? All of them. Was Guardiola not elite yet at Barca B, or Klopp at Mainz, simply because they were at the start of their careers?

We can debate any point in time. Arteta was already way better than Emery when he was Pep's assistant at City.

How many of the best managers today had empty CVs at one point? All of them. Was Guardiola not elite yet at Barca B, or Klopp at Mainz, simply because they were at the start of their careers?

We can debate any point in time. Arteta was already way better than Emery when he was Pep's assistant at City.
I don't think there is any point of continuing this debate after that.

People actually learn how to do their jobs over time.

According to your logic, Graeme Souness was a better manager than Sir Alex Ferguson until 1993.
No it is not. Sir alex won european trophy with aberdeen beating real madrid. The fact you are comparing arteta to Saf is a joke.

All I am saying is Arteta has to win first before being put in elite list managers. Finishing 2nd doesn't make you a elite manager. No one knows how future will look for any manager or a player. To say he was always an elite when he was with Pep is funny.

No it is not. Sir alex won european trophy with aberdeen beating real madrid. The fact you are comparing arteta to Saf is a joke.

All I am saying is Arteta has to win first before being put in elite list managers. Finishing 2nd doesn't make you a elite manager. No one knows how future will look for any manager or a player. To say he was always an elite when he was with Pep is funny.

With Arteta, it's just a question of when, and not if he wins the PL and CL. With Emery, it would be somewhat of a surprise if he gets to win either in his career so far.

Of course it's convenient to just compare their CVs and go for the safe pick in Emery, without any further insight, but in reality Arteta has already surpassed the tier that Emery belongs to.

With Arteta, it's just a question of when, and not if he wins the PL and CL. With Emery, it would be somewhat of a surprise if he gets to win either in his career so far.

Of course it's convenient to just compare their CVs and go for the safe pick in Emery, without any further insight, but in reality Arteta has already surpassed the tier that Emery belongs to.
Sorry? A question of when he wins the CL? What?

Yes. It's rare for managers of his quality to end up without a single CL trophy, and he has at least 20 years left.
He needs to get to a top club first, look at the biggest legend the club he’s at is and their UCL record. Ridiculous claim to say ‘when’ he wins it.

Let him win first then. It is just convenient to make a comparison on guesswork. Maybe I can also say Chelsea's manager will surpass Pep in 10 years time because he worked as his assistant.

That's got to be bait.

Arteta has kept pace with Guardiola’s City twice and he’s in his fourth season of management, he’s very obviously a better manager than Emery. You don’t need to wait 15 years before you can discuss that.

He also said he already passed arteta when he was working as Pep's assistant

In all likelihood, he did.

Two time winner of the keeping-pace-with-Pep trophy.

You mean keeping pace with one of the greatest club sides of all time, managed by the greatest manager of all time, without having an answer in his squad to either Haaland or De Bruyne? Pretty good achievement, I'd say.

Arteta even when he was still a player was better manager than Emery, but people aren't ready for that conversation.

He needs to get to a top club first, look at the biggest legend the club he’s at is and their UCL record. Ridiculous claim to say ‘when’ he wins it.

I don't care if the wins the CL at Arsenal or somewhere else, but what does the past CL record of a certain team matter when discussing their chances to win it now? Not one player is there from 20+ years ago. Manager and his coaching staff is also new. Or the bottling culture is passed on by the receptionist? There should be no new CL winners in the next 30 years using this logic. How did City win? Or Chelsea in 2012?

I don't care if the wins the CL at Arsenal or somewhere else, but what does the past CL record of a certain team matter when discussing their chances to win it now? Not one player is there from 20+ years ago. Manager and his coaching staff is also new. Or the bottling culture is passed on by the receptionist? There should be no new CL winners in the next 30 years using this logic. How did City win? Or Chelsea in 2012?
Because I personally don’t believe Arsenal will have enough resources to build him a UCL winning side (or big enough draw to recruit good enough players)?

Is that good enough for you? Not that it matters as it is simply ‘when’ he wins UCL and EPL…

Because I personally don’t believe Arsenal will have enough resources to build him a UCL winning side (or big enough draw to recruit good enough players)?

Is that good enough for you? Not that it matters as it is simply ‘when’ he wins UCL and EPL…

They're already a top 3-4 team in the world currently. Quite literally one of the biggest contenders to win the CL. Would it even be a surprise if they won it?

That team you don't think they can build is already built.

They're already a top 3-4 team in the world currently. Quite literally one of the biggest contenders to win the CL. Would it even be a surprise if they won it?

That team you don't think they can build is already built.
Well then, no excuses when they don’t win it this season then!

Arsenal haven’t even been to the semi-finals of the CL in a very long time and they’re a top 3-4 team in the world? I swear the overrating on here gets absurd.

Arsenal haven’t even been to the semi-finals of the CL in a very long time and they’re a top 3-4 team in the world? I swear the overrating on here gets absurd.
They’re a very good side and I actually think they might win the EPL this season.

I just find it hilarious that it is a ‘when’ Arteta wins the champions league.

Arteta even when he was still a player was better manager than Emery, but people aren't ready for that conversation.
Some say he was the actual manager at Everton and Moyes only his puppet. He's been preparing for the Arsenal job and his guaranteed CL trophy for a long time...

Once again, what?

They had 1 year in the CL with this core, basically got back into it as soon as they became good. First season, inexperienced squad lost out in the QFs to one of the other top 4 favorites, except vastly experienced, on a 1 goal difference.

Once again, what?

They had 1 year in the CL with this core, basically got back into it as soon as they became good. First season, inexperienced squad lost out in the QFs to one of the other top 4 favorites, except vastly experienced, on a 1 goal difference.
Yes, they’ve had just 1 year in CL and still have a lot to prove. Calling them a top 3-4 team just on the back of that seems very premature, especially considering it’s all hypothetical that he’s just going to win them a CL title.

Yes, they’ve had just 1 year in CL and still have a lot to prove. Calling them a top 3-4 team just on the back of that seems very premature, especially considering it’s all hypothetical that he’s just going to win them a CL title.

Who's better than them?