Aston Villa appoint Unai Emery as manager

Pretty sure United beat Villa home and away last season .. just saying

That don’t mean shit, Villa are 5th and we’re 13th. I’m sure teams we’d think are “below” us have beaten us twice home and away. This is just the very arrogant thinking we need to get away from. We’re shite & have been for a decade.

We will likely lose to Villa at the weekend…just saying

Don't look surprised if a similar topic will be on the Caf in 3/4 years about ETH doing very well with another midtable team.

Don't look surprised if a similar topic will be on the Caf in 3/4 years about ETH doing very well with another midtable team.

But we are already seeing what Ten Hag does with a midtable team.

Ten Hag is older than Emery and their results in Europe are as follows:
EtH - 0 finals, 0 trophies
Emery - 5 finals, 4 trophies

but I am sure we will have to eat our words when ten Hag goes back to Go Ahead Eagles and after 3 seasons (and full preseasons) makes it to the semi-final of Dutch Farmers Cup.

They are so good to watch. At this moment thats all i want from United.

Ten Hag is older than Emery and their results in Europe are as follows:
EtH - 0 finals, 0 trophies
Emery - 5 finals, 4 trophies

but I am sure we will have to eat our words when ten Hag goes back to Go Ahead Eagles and after 3 seasons (and full preseasons) makes it to the semi-final of Dutch Farmers Cup.
Don't get me wrong, most of us Ajax fans are getting more convinced that his spell at Ajax was a combination of a perfect storm with academy players coming through and some real smart buys by Overmars in 18/19 and the two seasons after that once again Overmars finding hidden jewels like Kudus, Alvarez and Martinez but with that being said, United really looks like a managers' graveyard so maybe he will do very well again with another club.

Also, we should all be grateful that Emery didn't end up going to Newcastle.

Right now, probably not. In the coming months, I'd hope that our new footballing structure would be able to pitch an ambitious plan to any manager who want to go far in their career. And at the end of the day, with all the issues we have, the name (and I guess the salary) of being Man Utd manager still has appeal.
I obviously agree 100% with your last sentence. I was just listening to Alan Brazil and it was mentioned on the show that Emery joined Villa three months after ETH joined Utd and in that time he has also spent about half, yes HALF of what Hag has got through at Utd.
Ok we have won two trophies in that time but where would you rather be right now?

We also have a proper structure now but a manager who is clueless
It's a bit early for that IMO, it has certainly changed but the jury is still very much out on if it's any good... It's a results business and it has hardly been a good start.

I obviously agree 100% with your last sentence. I was just listening to Alan Brazil and it was mentioned on the show that Emery joined Villa three months after ETH joined Utd and in that time he has also spent about half, yes HALF of what Hag has got through at Utd.
Ok we have won two trophies in that time but where would you rather be right now?
???

If there's any chance if getting him he should without doubt be the first choice

Great job at Villa going from relegation candidates to a CL side. Will be hard for him to leave but i think it would be possible.

Typical United, game raising bastard's

:lol:

You have a weird psychological hoodoo over us. 2-0 at OT half time and we were as comfortably as Bournemouth were a few weeks before if not more. We started sitting off, Fernandes got on the ball much more and pinging diagonals out to Garnacho and we didn't fancy it one bit and completely folded defensively.

I feel far more comfortable leading all of Chelsea, Spurs, Man. City and Arsenal 1-0 than leading Man. United 2-0 home or away.

At least McTominay isn't around anymore, he's scored a few against us down the year from ghosting late into the box from crosses.

It's a great point, he's genuinely hasn't even spent that much while he's been here.

The main thing post Slippy was appointing a manager who would actually improve the existing players on the training pitch as we've always had the habit of appointing British managers who just want to constantly spend millions on half a new team every 18 months (O'Neill/Bruce/Gerrard).

Emery has done that with all of Konsa, McGinn, Watkins who've been with us since summer 2020 and restored Bailey and Digne to the levels they showed at previous clubs. Martinez has become more of a sweeper keeper in last two years aswell. Morgan Rogers was an amazing pick up for 12m aswell, think one of our academy coaches tipped off Emery as he worked with Rogers at West Brom.

Our main big spend in last two years was Diaby at 50m who blew hot and cold and we sold him for PSR to Saudi league. Pau Torres would've never signed for us if Unai wasn't here but he was only about 32m which isn't much for an established CB in the modern era.

He's a training ground manager, exactly what we needed to get to the next level.

It's a great point, he's genuinely hasn't even spent that much while he's been here.

The main thing post Slippy was appointing a manager who would actually improve the existing players on the training pitch as we've always had the habit of appointing British managers who just want to constantly spend millions on half a new team every 18 months (O'Neill/Bruce/Gerrard).

Emery has done that with all of Konsa, McGinn, Watkins who've been with us since summer 2020 and restored Bailey and Digne to the levels they showed at previous clubs. Martinez has become more of a sweeper keeper in last two years aswell. Morgan Rogers was an amazing pick up for 12m aswell, think one of our academy coaches tipped off Emery as he worked with Rogers at West Brom.

Our main big spend in last two years was Diaby at 50m who blew hot and cold and we sold him for PSR to Saudi league. Pau Torres would've never signed for us if Unai wasn't here but he was only about 32m which isn't much for an established CB in the modern era.

He's a training ground manager, exactly what we needed to get to the next level.

He's doing a fantastic job at Villa and he was my pick to replace ETH when it looked like he was a goner at the end of last season.

However, I can't entirely agree with the training ground manager type being exactly what we need. Yes we need better coaching but in that case I'd rather we focus on just getting the best in class coaches in to support whoever the manager is.

What we need is someone who can motivate and control the dressing room and can handle the immense pressure from outside. Who can elevate mediocre players not just in terms of their footballing ability but their mindset. The United job is one of the toughest in the world - the press will be knives out from day one, our own fans (outside the match-goers) are often rabid and impatient, and every single team in England wants to beat us above anyone else no matter how far we've fallen. That requires someone with a huge personality.

Is Emery that guy? I don't know. Same applies to Potter, I reckon he can coach this team far better than we've seen so far (and I'd lay that criticism not just at ETH but his coaching staff) but he's a bit of a wet lettuce.

I'd be inclined to wait it out and see how well De Zerbi does at Marseilles because he seems to have that fire in him as well as the coaching chops.

Get him in. But why would he leave Villa. Great manager!

Out of interest, how common was it among Aston Villa fans to say the following before Gerrard was sacked:

“This squad is relegation quality, no one could have done any better”

“He had only one summer transfer windows we cannot judge him yet”

“Give him at least a full season first”

“We need 3 years of rebuilding process”

“Players are letting him down with individual mistakes”

“His season with Rangers proves that he is a great manager just needs time”

“Remember Ferguson also came from Scottish league and did badly for the first seasons”

“Chopping and changing managers does not work”

“There are no alternatives that are definitely better so let’s stick with Gerrard. Not convinced Emery is better” ?

Because I am sure that a manager would have been given at least 1.5-2 seasons more with us in analogous situation to Gerrard - with a sizeable part of fanbase being in favour (which is madness)

You are at a big club which has just beaten Bayern Munich in The Champions League. You are in the top four and things look good, you know your players, your players know you and know what you want.

Would you seriously chuck all that in to manage a team with the likes of Rashford, no recognisable centre forward and a bunch of players who on the face of it have no confidence in their collective abilities?

I think the best we can hope for is an out of work manager because any one who is currently in employment will need his head examined if he leaves his current employers for the shitfest that will await him at OT.

mate, i was half serious. I think emery would struggle at United because the players would not fight for him. I watch Villa games from time to time. The difference in effort alone is vast.

mate, i was half serious. I think emery would struggle at United because the players would not fight for him. I watch Villa games from time to time. The difference in effort alone is vast.
I struggle to think that players need motivation to fight for the team or the manager.
I would imagine the majority of managers would bench players who are not working hard,

Anybody remember last season when we would point to the Ten Hag defenders the immediate difference made by Emery in both results and style of play, only to be met with rebuttals like 'they won't keep it up' and then, when they did, it changed to 'wait till they have CL football'.

Now they're rolling over teams like Bayern and still pushing at the top of the table.

Anybody remember last season when we would point to the Ten Hag defenders the immediate difference made by Emery in both results and style of play, only to be met with rebuttals like 'they won't keep it up' and then, when they did, it changed to 'wait till they have CL football'.

Now they're rolling over teams like Bayern and still pushing at the top of the table.
Eh

Don't get me wrong, most of us Ajax fans are getting more convinced that his spell at Ajax was a combination of a perfect storm with academy players coming through and some real smart buys by Overmars in 18/19 and the two seasons after that once again Overmars finding hidden jewels like Kudus, Alvarez and Martinez but with that being said, United really looks like a managers' graveyard so maybe he will do very well again with another club.

A graveyard or an opportunity. It shows how different the PL is compare to the dutch league.

Ten Hag is a good coach but he is 54 and his biggest achievement is losing to Spurs in a semi final of the CL. To become successful in the PL now, requires a top elite coach, even to compete for top 4 now requires some good coaching.

We have seen Frank De Boer win leagues with Ajax and get sacked within 10 games for West Ham.

It's not that big a deal. Teams always charge you a premium on transfers because you are Manchester United.

In a nutshell then the club is fecked. If the players won’t fight what happened to the threat of been dropped?
Why aren’t they dropped? Rumour control on here says Rashford is undroppable due to a clause in his contract, Bruno lately shows that he needs resting yet he isn’t.
It’s a strange set of affairs it really is.

Out of interest, how common was it among Aston Villa fans to say the following before Gerrard was sacked:

“This squad is relegation quality, no one could have done any better”

“He had only one summer transfer windows we cannot judge him yet”

“Give him at least a full season first”

“We need 3 years of rebuilding process”

“Players are letting him down with individual mistakes”

“His season with Rangers proves that he is a great manager just needs time”

“Remember Ferguson also came from Scottish league and did badly for the first seasons”

“Chopping and changing managers does not work”

“There are no alternatives that are definitely better so let’s stick with Gerrard. Not convinced Emery is better” ?

Because I am sure that a manager would have been given at least 1.5-2 seasons more with us in analogous situation to Gerrard - with a sizeable part of fanbase being in favour (which is madness)

Slippy was completely clueless, only good thing he did was securing Kamara on a free. He played very narrow football without width and the team simply went out there not believing in the system or anything so pretty much like you are under ETH currently.

It was a top half squad above the relegation zone on GD when he was thankfully sacked minutes after a 3-0 loss at Fulham in October 2022.

There were still a couple of posters on our forums defending him and claiming the squad wasn't any good but you get a minority like that on every fan's site.

Can he be got mid season ? Probably not. Hopefully Villa have a good season and he fancies a change at the end of the season.No ?

Can he be got mid season ? Probably not. Hopefully Villa have a good season and he fancies a change at the end of the season.No ?

Would he be willing to drop into the Championship for us?

Maybe it’s arrogance but I don’t understand why people are saying “why would he leave Villa for us?”

Were fecking Manchester United.