Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

Steve Round has left their coaching staff. Rumours going around that Cazorla will come back to the club in a coaching role.

Last edited:
I'm not sure anyone is going to give £30m with a buyback for Balogun, unless the buyback fee is set very high. It just wouldn't represent very good value for any buying club otherwise. Might have to accept a lower fee or take the £30m with a sell on and hope to profit again in the future.

When we sold Tammy, the buyback was set to double what we sold him for, so nearly 70M. Balogun is in a simlar situation as Tammy in that he's outgrown the loan cycle and probably does not want to sit on the bench for Arsenal, which would halt the momentum his built up for himself. A 30M fee is probably realistic but I doubt they can get an easy buyback unless they agree to a transfer fee well below market value.

They're definitely better than last year with Rice added to their team, don't be silly.

And why would they be happy just to make top 4? If they play anywhere near their potential its a comfortable top-4. Can you name 4 teams better than them?
It is no secret that I have never rated Rice. Overrated and I don't see him better than Jorginho, Xakha or Thomas who can play in that role. Of course he will play because of his wierd price but they will not be better.

We, ManCity and Liverpool. Those club will be up there. Newcastle, Brighton, Aston Villa, Tottenham, Chelsea will fight with Arsenal behind top 3.

The whole entire core of the team is young (sub 27). The whole starting XI is 26 or below.

Jesus (26)
Martinelli (22) ------------------------ Saka (21)
Havertz (23) --- Odegaard (24)
Rice (24)
Zinny (26) - Gabriel (25) - Saliba (22) - White (25)
Ramsdale (25)

If they continue to develop as they have been then they should improve.

Whilst it could be argued that the new signings aren't currently better than the starters from last year (Xhaka/Havertz, Partey/Rice, White/Timber) they have at the very least added very strong depth to the squad. This will help cover and keep the standard up in those extra games you have mentioned. Edit: we also did actually play in Europe last season, so there aren't going to be a number of extra games.
They have relatively young team. However trophies and titels don't ask you how old you are. You either are good or not.

And sure, they will have bigger squad if they keep players. We will see what they do.

They're strengthening their squad. Nobody they've signed so far makes them a better team but they'll have a lot more games this season, and they wont have such a fortunate run as last year. They need more rotation but until they sign better players than Rice and Havertz I won't be worried about them challenging for anything more than top 4.
Agree. Last year, there were on the run. When things went bad, it went bad and you could see they were not mentally good enough to win.

They're definitely better than last year with Rice added to their team, don't be silly.

And why would they be happy just to make top 4? If they play anywhere near their potential its a comfortable top-4. Can you name 4 teams better than them?
I think they'll finish lower than last season - that was their chance in my opinion.

Steve Round has left their coaching staff. Rumours going around that Cazorla will come back to the club in a coaching role.
3 big signings, a Wenger statue and a Cazorla comeback. This is all going too well, we're about to get relegated aren't we...

It is no secret that I have never rated Rice. Overrated and I don't see him better than Jorginho, Xakha or Thomas who can play in that role. Of course he will play because of his wierd price but they will not be better.

We, ManCity and Liverpool. Those club will be up there. Newcastle, Brighton, Aston Villa, Tottenham, Chelsea will fight with Arsenal behind top 3.

They have relatively young team. However trophies and titels don't ask you how old you are. You either are good or not.

And sure, they will have bigger squad if they keep players. We will see what they do.

Agree. Last year, there were on the run. When things went bad, it went bad and you could see they were not mentally good enough to win.

What makes you think you will be ahead of us out of interest?

Hard part is repeating the good season. Many teams struggled except pep s city. They arguably did the work off the field now have to maintain the good work on the field too.

Teams took you seriously won't allow space for you to operate like before. Will have to overcome that challenge. That's not impossible but always hard though.

Hard part is repeating the good season. Many teams struggled except pep s city. They arguably did the work off the field now have to maintain the good work on the field too.

Teams took you seriously won't allow space for you to operate like before. Will have to overcome that challenge. That's not impossible but always hard though.
Agreed, I think that’s what the signing of Rice and Havertz is aiming to do. Rice has superb ball carrying from deep and Havertz has great technique. Hopefully they have the desired effect.

Agreed, I think that’s what the signing of Rice and Havertz is aiming to do. Rice has superb ball carrying from deep and Havertz has great technique. Hopefully they have the desired effect.
That's why I said you did well off the field work by signing some valuable players to overcome the hard part but still it's on the paper only. So for so good for you especially you signed rice by competing against city.

But on the field this new signings have to outperform your last season performances. Huge money signings bring you another type of pressure that you rarely witnessed in recent years other than Pepe signing. Have to see how you overcome those challenges.

We, ManCity and Liverpool. Those club will be up there.

How? Like, how are we favored to end up ahead of Arsenal? Liverpool I'll grant you only because of Klopp (although they haven't done anything about their weak defence). Are you seriously expecting ETH with our current transfers to outdo Arsenal next season?

Newcastle, Brighton, Aston Villa, Tottenham, Chelsea will fight with Arsenal behind top 3.

Again, what is this based on? Have these teams strengthened significantly over their own version from last season, let alone compared to the new look Arsenal?

I can't think of an example where this has ever happened. Where a team that performed well one season ended up struggling the next season just because the other teams decided not to "allow space". In every case I can think of, there's been major injuries (eg., Liverpool) or important players leaving (eg., Leicester) or the manager getting himself sacked (eg., Chelsea).

The hard part about repeating a good season actually refers to the difficulty of keeping up motivation. City will face that issue next season. Arsenal have achieved nothing yet. If anything, they've had a sniff at the big prize and they'll be extremely motivated to try again.

It is unlikely that Brighton and Spurs will be better next season. Chelsea have only one direction to go as they were miserable last season but top 4 is a tall order, although not impossible. Villa is a mid-table team. If they make the top 6, it would be a great achievement. Realistically, Newcastle is the only team from that list we could expect to possibly improve within the top 4. I like Pool's chances of getting back in the mix. No CL, proven manager, already one great signing so far and they seem to be in the mood to bolster their ranks...

I don't think any top 6 team other than City guaranteed a top 4 spot to be honest. All top 6 teams are trying their best to improve their team in summer.

What makes you think you will be ahead of us out of interest?
First and most, more games. You need to rotate and not play same 11 pretty much all the time. Second is that you were team who surfed on a wave of a good start without distraction. It is hard to repeat that. You bought players that are not going to improve you in quality. Just in numbers and you will have more pressure on you this time. People will expect more now that you came 2nd behind ManCity and in my opinion you don't have that mentality yet because of pretty much young team.

Are you sure this was to me or other poster?

How? Like, how are we favored to end up ahead of Arsenal? Liverpool I'll grant you only because of Klopp (although they haven't done anything about their weak defence). Are you seriously expecting ETH with our current transfers to outdo Arsenal next season?

Again, what is this based on? Have these teams strengthened significantly over their own version from last season, let alone compared to the new look Arsenal?
Arenal was form team last year until their game fell apart few months left of the season. They were saved by not having to play to many games. Lets see how Champions League will affect them. I think in a bad way. Pressure will be bigger this year.

You don't always need to buy 10 players to be successful. You need time for players to understand their role and tactics.

Whether you rate Rice or not is irrelevant.

He's already proven himself to be one of the best DM's in the league. He was rated highly enough for the managers that finished first and second to bid 95 million and 105 million respectively.

The difference in the Rice situation, and say, the perceived overspending on Sancho, Mudryk and Antony is that none of them had played in the PL. Never mind had they established themselves as one of the best players on their respective positions prior to joining or Captained their sides at the age of 22.

I think you've deliberately missed the point re the young team having potential to improve across literally the entire field. The age demographic is excellent and it means we aren't holding on to our best form, it should really be ahead of us. The side has more scope to improve than this current United side.

The bias is unreal, though I suppose it's hardly surprising on here.

They definitely have the potential for a misstep here. It will all depend on how Arteta manages it. Saka/Odegaard/Martinelli are so good that it will be a misstep at most.

They were noticeably worse anytime Xhaka wasn’t playing last season. Vieira obviously cannot play that role, so it’s bold if the assumption is that Havertz can do it. But Arteta has been bold about the likes of Ramsdale and White and proven people wrong.

Players like Nelson signing new contracts are mad. There is no way he will get into that team and Nketiah showed last season that he isn’t the type of striker that will work in this system.

Holding was one of the big reasons the title was lost, so there is no way he should be staying either

Big spending, but I still feel like there is work to be done there.

They've done amazing in the market so far. I'm surprised. Here to stay.

I keep seeing this more games comment. Arsenal played in Europa league last season and got relatively far. It's not as if we weren't in the competition all together and it's a whole new competition to factor in.

More games isn't an issue when they already played a lot to begin with, especially with adding three first team players (so far), whilst only losing one (so far). Hopefully ESR and Tomiyasu remain fit too.

Whether you rate Rice or not is irrelevant.

He's already proven himself to be one of the best DM's in the league. He was rated highly enough for the managers that finished first and second to bid 95 million and 105 million respectively.

The difference in the Rice situation, and say, the perceived overspending on Sancho, Mudryk and Antony is that none of them had played in the PL. Never mind had they established themselves as one of the best players on their respective positions prior to joining or Captained their sides at the age of 22.

I think you've deliberately missed the point re the young team having potential to improve across literally the entire field. The age demographic is excellent and it means we aren't holding on to our best form, it should really be ahead of us. The side has more scope to improve than this current United side.

The bias is unreal, though I suppose it's hardly surprising on here.
Proven for who? It is not like West Ham have been dominant force with him. Nowhere near close best DM in the league. Far from it. People will see lack of quality now when he plays for sides that plays football and not defend 95% of time.

Lets be clear. Anthony and specially Sancho are way to much paid and both signings weren't my kind of business. Sancho is just a bad transfer and I was against it when we were linked to him. Anthony at least is not that bad and offers you something on the pitch.

When it comes to age of squad, I have already said what needs to be said. There is room for improvement but you are not mentally ready to fight for trophies. Specially if you get rid of tough players.

Posted this elsewhere in a discussion with @Powderfinger but really like how they're building the squad this year with ready-made backups across multiple positions.

Rice can be an emergency CB with Timber moving to central midfield, White can play as a CB if needed, Timber gives insurance for Zinchenko going down as the fullback who steps into midfield, Havertz can play anywhere in the front 5, they can toggle between 3ATB and 4ATB systems pretty easily, etc. Really a testament to their patience and faith in Arteta that they've built a team where nearly every player is comfortable in more than one position - absolutely ideal for someone who wants to be flexible tactically, especially within a single match.

I can't think of an example where this has ever happened. Where a team that performed well one season ended up struggling the next season just because the other teams decided not to "allow space". In every case I can think of, there's been major injuries (eg., Liverpool) or important players leaving (eg., Leicester) or the manager getting himself sacked (eg., Chelsea).

The hard part about repeating a good season actually refers to the difficulty of keeping up motivation. City will face that issue next season. Arsenal have achieved nothing yet. If anything, they've had a sniff at the big prize and they'll be extremely motivated to try again.
You see this whenever Arsenal are discussed round here. Our performance last season is apparently just decent form that will spontaneously vanish. Bonus points if the suggestion that Arteta should be sacked if he doesn’t win anything this season is present in the very same post.

Pool and City quite easily. Pep and Klopp are monsters.

I dont want to comment on us but Chelsea without Europe can easily challenge the top 2 (like Newcastle this year).

Yes, Arsenal has improved but so has other teams .

Pool and City quite easily. Pep and Klopp are monsters.

I dont want to comment on us but Chelsea without Europe can easily challenge the top 2 (like Newcastle this year).

Yes, Arsenal has improved but so has other teams .

While Liverpool and Klopp are great they will need time for a completely new look midfield. Don't expect them to challenge for the title next year but after that surely.
Klopp would never have allowed such loss of form we had when the title was so close.

Its natural reaction from mid lower table teams try to snatch point against top teams.They try to deny space and motivate themselves to perform well against top teams.

Professional players have no motivation to win football match or top prize again and again? I dont buy that argument at all. Injury issues may be you are right but its natural for midtable lower table teams approach games cautiously against top teams.

The wilderness you went through for past few seasons you finally get into that top team bracket. Teams will take notice.

Last edited:
couldn’t move for shouts from Arsenal fans of Partey being the best holding midfielder in the league during the season, don’t see how they’re not worse off if he’s out

While Liverpool and Klopp are great they will need time for a completely new look midfield. Don't expect them to challenge for the title next year but after that surely.
Klopp would never have allowed such loss of form we had when the title was so close.
Liverpool and Klopp need time but Arsenal and Arteta doesn't need time ? Albeit the midfield signings are about the same?

Arsenal as it stands, with Partey, Rice, Haverz, Timber in the team, are stronger. The question comes in when Partey leaves. So at this moment, Arsenal are still the second best team and City’s main challengers.

Lets assume all teams do great business this window, addressing all their needs for the upcoming season. Also I assume the top teams have relatively good fitness and players available. Then its all about how complete a team is in terms of tactical setup, team playing cohesion, games to be played and manager quality.

And with the above paragraph in mind, I see it playing out as follows in 23/24

City
Arsenal
Liverpool
United
Newcastle
Chelsea
Spurs
Villa
Brentford
Brighton

Think we'll be in the title race again. Or at least, if we're in the race then it won't be as much of a surprise.

Proven for who? It is not like West Ham have been dominant force with him. Nowhere near close best DM in the league. Far from it. People will see lack of quality now when he plays for sides that plays football and not defend 95% of time.

Lets be clear. Anthony and specially Sancho are way to much paid and both signings weren't my kind of business. Sancho is just a bad transfer and I was against it when we were linked to him. Anthony at least is not that bad and offers you something on the pitch.

When it comes to age of squad, I have already said what needs to be said. There is room for improvement but you are not mentally ready to fight for trophies. Specially if you get rid of tough players.

Proven enough for Pep and Arteta. Proven enough for West Ham to make him a Captain at such a young age. Proven enough to have played 35 games for England at 24 years of age. Proven enough to be considered one of the best DM's in the league by seemingly everyone but you.

You have compared Scott McTominay favourably to Rice. Laughable utter drivel. You are a WUM and even your fellow United supporters have been laughing at you.

As for Sancho, Antony, Mudryk, Nunez, etc. I personally wouldn't write them off after one poor season or poor half season (or in the farmer's case - dealing with mental health daemons).

Last edited:
couldn’t move for shouts from Arsenal fans of Partey being the best holding midfielder in the league during the season, don’t see how they’re not worse off if he’s out
He was the best holding midfielder in the league for the 2/3 of the season. Then his form dipped a little, before Saliba’s injury caused it to nosedive. He was frankly one of our worst players (when fit) for a few games and was correctly dropped for Jorginho, who played pretty well.

Partey is excellent when he’s on top of his game, but that has happened far too infrequently. Rice has been consistent for a long time now, I think he’ll be a good addition.

He was the best holding midfielder in the league for the 2/3 of the season. Then his form dipped a little, before Saliba’s injury caused it to nosedive. He was frankly one of our worst players (when fit) for a few games and was correctly dropped for Jorginho, who played pretty well.

Partey is excellent when he’s on top of his game, but that has happened far too infrequently. Rice has been consistent for a long time now, I think he’ll be a good addition.
Your entire team dropped off around that time, hard to pin it on Partey.
Not fair to accuse Partey of something even though there’s a lot of good reasons as to why.

Not fair to accuse Partey of something even though there’s a lot of good reasons as to why.
Both things can be true. We got worse as a team... and Partey was one of our worst players. In fact, the two are linked, given the importance of the lone 6 in a 4-3-3. Hence why we've spent a £100m on a player in that position. The entire team crumbles when the pivot isn't on point.

Partey wasnt the main reason Arsenal dropped off, Saliba and Tomiyasu going down was more of a reason. Partey, was one of the biggest sufferers of Holding coming into the team.

Why? Simply because when you leave any extra spaces between your attacking lines, it has an impact on the entire team, especially at six. And you management of space starts with a defensive line that is pushed up, which then allows the midfield and forward lines to put pressure.

Look at Pep, and how he focuses on his defensive line. JDP football requires a high quality, consistent defensive base.

Partey wasnt the main reason Arsenal dropped off, Saliba and Tomiyasu going down was more of a reason. Partey, was one of the biggest sufferers of Holding coming into the team.

Why? Simply because when you leave any extra spaces between your attacking lines, it has an impact on the entire team, especially at six. And you management of space starts with a defensive line that is pushed up, which then allows the midfield and forward lines to put pressure.

Look at Pep, and how he focuses on his defensive line. JDP football requires a high quality, consistent defensive base.

I agree, Saliba going down was the bigger problem. Holding did not actually play poorly by his standards but he is just not fit for this system. He would not be exposed as much with a mid-table team that uses a fairly static backline and puts of players behind the ball.

Poor Gabriel played his arse off during this time to cover holes. Huge respect, because he tried to keep it together. Partey, on the other hand did not rise to the challenge. He went missing at times when we needed him to plug more lanes and holes in behind. Also, he lost rather uncharacteristically the ball cheaply quite often. What started the major problem is losing Saliba. Very happy he renewed his contract. Massive player for us!

Another hard part will be handling the fixture calendar now that Arsenal are back in the CL.

Last season Arsenal played 49 games and they didn't really take any of FA Cup, EFL Cup or the UEL seriously, fielding maybe 3 regular starters in each of the 11 cup games while most of the key players were always allowed some rest between league games. Now they'll have to play their starters more and more if they want to even try being competitive on multiple fronts and it remains to be seen how well they can manage that.

With the summer signings of Havertz, Rice, Timber as well as now having winter arrivals Jorginho and Trossard for the full season will of course help a fair bit but it's still going to be a whole new challenge. I still think their squad depth is a bit light when it comes to forwards and attacking midfield players with only Jesus, Saka, Martinelli, Havertz, Trossard and Ødegaard being of the required quality. If they have to rely on the likes of Nketiah, Nelson and Vieira significantly more than last season I'm not convinced it's going to end too well for them. Balogun could end up being good for them if he stays but there's been some rumors he could be on the chopping block following their big spending this summer.

Liverpool and Klopp need time but Arsenal and Arteta doesn't need time ? Albeit the midfield signings are about the same?

We have just replaced Xhakha. Partey is actually very difficult to replace but not sure he would leave. Most likely he wont. Also technically even Zinchenko plays in midfield for us so even that does not change.

Liverpool would have a complete rebuild of midfield atleast 3 new midfielders.
Their core player VVD/Salah are actually past their peak aswell although for next season that may not be of much concern unless they drop off quickly.

Another hard part will be handling the fixture calendar now that Arsenal are back in the CL.

Last season Arsenal played 49 games and they didn't really take any of FA Cup, EFL Cup or the UEL seriously, fielding maybe 3 regular starters in each of the 11 cup games while most of the key players were always allowed some rest between league games. Now they'll have to play their starters more and more if they want to even try being competitive on multiple fronts and it remains to be seen how well they can manage that.

With the summer signings of Havertz, Rice, Timber as well as now having winter arrivals Jorginho and Trossard for the full season will of course help a fair bit but it's still going to be a whole new challenge. I still think their squad depth is a bit light when it comes to forwards and attacking midfield players with only Jesus, Saka, Martinelli, Havertz, Trossard and Ødegaard being of the required quality. If they have to rely on the likes of Nketiah, Nelson and Vieira significantly more than last season I'm not convinced it's going to end too well for them. Balogun could end up being good for them if he stays but there's been some rumors he could be on the chopping block following their big spending this summer.

I don't think we will take the EFL seriously, more of a chance to play youngsters such as Vieira, Nelson etc. That will give some of the 1st team time to recuperate. Same applies in the FA cup - at least in the early stages anyway. I expected us to go all out for Champions League and PL, the squad depth can't cope with all 4 competitions simultaneously.

Arsenal will maintain the form they had since match game 20 till end of the season, to the new season.

Arteta has been there for all those years, all that time only the form from game 1 to game 19 on 22-23 season was an anomaly. Every other time he has averaged the same amount of points.
Even the game 19- game 38 form is carbon copy to all his years at Arsenal.

So what's easier for him to replicate

1. His anomaly form which he racked in 50 points from 19 games

Or

2. His standard form which he racked in, 34 points from 19 games. With this being his average ever since he has been at Emirates for 4 years while spending over €450M ( before this season acquisitions) , signing 26 players... He's already at €520M spent with Havertz, add Rice said amount it goes to over €620M.

Arsenal will be a 70-76 point team at most this coming season.

Arsenal will maintain the form they had since match game 20 till end of the season, to the new season.

Arteta has been there for all those years, all that time only the form from game 1 to game 19 on 22-23 season was an anomaly. Every other time he has averaged the same amount of points.
Even the game 19- game 38 form is carbon copy to all his years at Arsenal.

So what's easier for him to replicate

1. His anomaly form which he racked in 50 points from 19 games

Or

2. His standard form which he racked in, 34 points from 19 games. With this being his average ever since he has been at Emirates for 4 years while spending over €450M ( before this season acquisitions) , signing 26 players... He's already at €520M spent with Havertz, add Rice said amount it goes to over €620M.

Arsenal will be a 70-76 point team at most this coming season.

We've significantly increased our points total every season under Arteta and there has been a clear progression to the style of play and performances, what is this average you keep referring to? You somehow managed to mention the money we've spent over the years without acknowledging that it might have improved the team, but I suppose that would contradict your assumption about some fixed average or standard under Arteta.