Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

You are not going to get reasonable debate in here after the weekends game. Arsenal were not great by any means, but they were clearly superior in a rather strange game, where Man Utd were just content on passing it around the back running down the clock like a relegation battling side would(?), it was odd to witness.

No need for the bitterness, Arsenal are just futher along. Although Ten Hag needs to sort out his ridiculously embarrassing away record sharpish or people's patience will quickly run out, it's no wonder they achieve nothing against the better sides when they play as cautiously as Sheffield United would.

:lol:

You do realise that your team hasn't been in the UCL since Wenger left ? What are you talking about ? last season was the last time I've seen Arsenal fans optimistic about their team since the Leicester title win season. We'd have to be terrible for another decade for us to have not won the league for the amount of time you haven't.
I can easily see that happening

Ahh, I love when we get reasoned, considered Arsenal fans on a United forum as opposed to the WUMs with their Lidl Catalan attitude.
I don't think it's a particularly controversial take to think that United won't win the league in the next 10 years.

You've spent a similar amount of money to City in the last decade and have been nowhere near them. Your club is a circus right now with all the off field issues, the ownership is terrible, your stadium and facilities need massive investment, and your squad is still pretty unbalanced.

Obviously my opinion could change if the Glazers do sell up but if not I doubt you're winning the title.

Hello mate. Yes I’m okay thanks. I’m in semi Caf retirement but still been browsing. How are you?

Good stuff, was worried when i hadn't seen any of your posts for a while. I'm ok, just having a wee laugh at the extreme posts in here, on both sides. Nothing much changes it seems. :D

Hello mate. Yes I’m okay thanks. I’m in semi Caf retirement but still been browsing. How are you?

I thought you had been banned for something :lol:

Good to have you back. We need more level headed Chelsea fans here to cancel out the Boehly bots.

I despise them. Cnut fans, cnut manager, cnut players.

really? On that logic the same could be said about United. Even more despised based on media events and the rose tinted bias on here.

You are not going to get reasonable debate in here after the weekends game. Arsenal were not great by any means, but they were clearly superior in a rather strange game, where Man Utd were just content on passing it around the back running down the clock like a relegation battling side would(?), it was odd to witness.

No need for the bitterness, Arsenal are just futher along. Although Ten Hag needs to sort out his ridiculously embarrassing away record sharpish or people's patience will quickly run out, it's no wonder they achieve nothing against the better sides when they play as cautiously as Sheffield United would.

You have a guy here saying Arsenal made United look like schoolboys and your takeaway from that is that it's the United fans who are incapable of reasonable debate? :wenger:

[/QUOTE]
I don't think it's a particularly controversial take to think that United won't win the league in the next 10 years.

You've spent a similar amount of money to City in the last decade and have been nowhere near them. Your club is a circus right now with all the off field issues, the ownership is terrible, your stadium and facilities need massive investment, and your squad is still pretty unbalanced.

Obviously my opinion could change if the Glazers do sell up but if not I doubt you're winning the title.

It’s not particularly controversial to think that, despite the massive spend from Arsenal, they’re not going to win the league in another ten years either.

Good to have you back. We need more level headed Chelsea fans here to cancel out the Boehly bots.

Slightly off for an Arsenal thread, Pat, but did Boehly dismantle the organisation Abramovich had behind the scenes? Is that why it seems so disorganised compared to the past? Chelsea had this (annoying) habit of correcting the ship pretty quickly.

Tbh I’m steering away from certain things when I post.

I have found the forum difficult to love recently but hopefully that comes back!

It’s not particularly controversial to think that, despite the massive spend from Arsenal, they’re not going to win the league in another ten years either.
No, I'd agree with you. Did you think I wouldn't?

Slightly off for an Arsenal thread, Pat, but did Boehly dismantle the organisation Abramovich had behind the scenes? Is that why it seems so disorganised compared to the past? Chelsea had this (annoying) habit of correcting the ship pretty quickly.

Almost everything from the Abramovich era is gone. The board, the recruitment people, even the medical staff, definitely most of the players. I think the only part of the club that has remained relatively unchanged is the academy and the people that look after it. I wouldn't agree that it is disorganised that much behind the scenes, certainly not as much as it was this time last year. I just think it's a completely new era now and we have to re-establish the winning culture again.

Tbh I’m steering away from certain things when I post.

I have found the forum difficult to love recently but hopefully that comes back!

I get it tbf. It's good to see you posting again though.

Almost everything from the Abramovich era is gone. The board, the recruitment people, even the medical staff, definitely most of the players. I think the only part of the club that has remained relatively unchanged is the academy and the people that look after it. I wouldn't agree that it is disorganised that much behind the scenes, certainly not as much as it was this time last year. I just think it's a completely new era now and we have to re-establish the winning culture again.

“Disorganised” only as opposed to the previous super slick operation and the current “player of the week” madness.

Most overrated team in the league.
Nah... most reasonable fans probably rated Arsenal as a top 4 team, and to me it may be even a bit over-rated if Chelsea and Liverpool not in transition period.

Great news for Arsenal if he extends but just goes to show what I remember mentioning on this forum during the summer that players like Ødegaard will definitely be looking to score massive wage increases after the big money signings of Havertz and Rice on top salaries as well as extending some of the other top performers like Saka, Martinelli and Saliba on big money deals.

Arsenal's wage bill has been on a steep rise lately. Ødegaard's new deal would take them to having nearly 10 players on £200K+ a week salaries. Unlike maybe last season there will be much pressure on them to succeed.

Pepe and Tierney will pay for Odegaard's contract.White is also getting renewed.
Also:

Great news for Arsenal if he extends but just goes to show what I remember mentioning on this forum during the summer that players like Ødegaard will definitely be looking to score massive wage increases after the big money signings of Havertz and Rice on top salaries as well as extending some of the other top performers like Saka, Martinelli and Saliba on big money deals.

He will get his market rated salary regardless of the signing of Havertz or Rice. Agents are well aware of their client's market value.

Best info suggests Arsenal’s highest earners are all in the 200-250k per week band.

Saka, Jesus, Rice, Havertz, Partey, and now likely Odegaard in that category. Martinelli and Saka just below 200k per week (maybe going over with certain bonuses).

It all seems pretty reasonable and sustainable. City is paying Haaland like 850k or something and both Grealish and KDB probably in the 350-400k per week range. United has at least four players over 300k per week. If Arsenal are going to compete with those sides they’ve got to spend some money.

Best info suggests Arsenal’s highest earners are all in the 200-250k per week band.

Saka, Jesus, Rice, Havertz, Partey, and now likely Odegaard in that category. Martinelli and Saka just below 200k per week (maybe going over with certain bonuses).

It all seems pretty reasonable and sustainable. City is paying Haaland like 850k or something and both Grealish and KDB probably in the 350-400k per week range. United has at least four players over 300k per week. If Arsenal are going to compete with those sides they’ve got to spend some money.

Best info is comparing base wages vs full package?

Arsenal's wage bill has been on a steep rise lately. Ødegaard's new deal would take them to having nearly 10 players on £200K+ a week salaries. Unlike maybe last season there will be much pressure on them to succeed.

We have 7 players on 200k+ currently. Martinelli should soon join in a year or so ideally.
Don't think the Bild news regarding Havertz is correct. He was nowhere reported to be our highest paid player.
Havertz is most likely on 220k-250k for us. Currently our highest paid player is still Saka at around 300k. Odegaard would get a bit more but still in the same bracket.

Current hierarchy seems to be (kept bit on a higher side and assuming new deals for White/Ødegaard)

300k+ - Saka Ødegaard
250k+ - Saliba Jesus Partey Havertz Rice
150k+ - Martinelli White Gabriel Zinchenko Jorginho
100k+ - Nketieh Nelson Timber Cedric Ramsdale Raya Trossard ESR Tierney
60k+ - Viera Elneny Tomiyasu Kiwior Lokonge Tavares Runarasson

-All wages including bonuses

Once Odegaard/White deals are done almost all our team is locked in till 2027 with option till 2028 atleast except a few
Partey 2025 (option till 2026)
Ramsdale 2026 (option till 2027)
Saka/Saliba 2027 (no option)

(Jorginho/Elneny would leave sooner in 2024)

And even after this our wagebill would be in 260m range. Still far lower than ManCity/ManUtd/Liverpool/Chelsea.
Also most importantly almost all (except Cedric) are earning what they should. Ideally Martinelli (on 180k) and Viera should be on higher than they are on currently.

Last edited:
Also most importantly almost all (except Cedric) are earning what they should. Ideally Martinelli (on 180k) and Viera should be on higher than they are on currently.

I think Viera is exactly where he should be on the wage scale. Ideally, he needs be more than a couple of good performances before the club is raising his salary. (If you are saying ideally he should be higher because it was expected that he would be a quality player and regular contributor and it hasn't panned out fully yet, then that does make sense.)

Overall, as you say, the club has done a good job cleaning up and removing players (except Cedric) on inflated wages.

Both Arsenal and United have struggled to move players because they have been way overpaid and the clubs that are their level will not pay them their Arsenal/United wages. So you have players happy to earn an early pension and sit on their behinds rather go somewhere they would play.

I think Viera is exactly where he should be on the wage scale. Ideally, he needs be more than a couple of good performances before the club is raising his salary. (If you are saying ideally he should be higher because it was expected that he would be a quality player and regular contributor and it hasn't panned out fully yet, then that does make sense.)

Overall, as you say, the club has done a good job cleaning up and removing players (except Cedric) on inflated wages.

Both Arsenal and United have struggled to move players because they have been way overpaid and the clubs that are their level will not pay them their Arsenal/United wages. So you have players happy to earn an early pension and sit on their behinds rather go somewhere they would play.

Viera is a very good final ball player and what he has done in last few games is what I expect from him. Needs to improve defensive side and has to bulk up but he surely has the talent. Even now his G/A per 90mins would be very good. He is not yet settled and he works best in transition. Basically he is more similar to Bruno Fernandez than Odegaard. So there is a expectation mismatch aswell.

Most overrated team in the league.
Well sorry to break it to you, but that is simply not true... I have seen many people on here claim Man Utd will win the league, and Arsenal look way ahead to me. So the answer to your question is much closer to home.

Well the fact that even after finishing 3rd and einning a cup and reaching finals of another cup competition they got criticized, I would say anything but overrated

I would say even after doing those things ManUtd are getting criticised means they are actually overrated as more is expected of them.
They did pretty well last year for me. Especially in the first year of ETH.

I would say even after doing those things ManUtd are getting criticised means they are actually overrated as more is expected of them.
They did pretty well last year for me. Especially in the first year of ETH.
Well how does that make them overrated. Arteta got much less criticsm for finishing 8th 8th and 5th than what eth got for finishing 3rd and a cup.

Well sorry to break it to you, but that is simply not true... I have seen many people on here claim Man Utd will win the league, and Arsenal look way ahead to me. So the answer to your question is much closer to home.

You will be lucky to find anyone on here claiming United will win the league beyond those with nothing but blind optimism, which I can tell you aren't many.

Also, it's debateable whether you were even the better team when you beat us last week and hardly set the world alight in your other games. I wouldn't call that way ahead.