Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

You finished 12 points behind City while we finished 5 behind. You also only led the league briefly mid-season (Dec or Jan if I recall correctly), while we were leaders for 75% of the season. It was an incredible bottle job from us, but we were definitely closer to challenging them than you were.

5 points only because of the points dropped at Brighton and Brentford due to their CL commitments. The 75% claim is as laughable as it can get - because they have always played couple of games less since December. Just like us , it was just a false dawn for you guys. Fact is there were never a race last year.

City are cheats but they can be beaten. And Arsenal need to improve and reach Liverpools peak levels under Klopp to win the league. I don’t know which same people you are referring to.
Calling anything other than emulating one of the best PL teams ever a failure is a bit much, no?

Read the 115 charges thread and the arsenal thread.

Arsenal gave up on all the cups, whereas United got to 2 finals and a quarter final. If we hadn't have gone so far in the Europa league (where most of our injuries occurred) we possibly would have had more league points.
Possibly, sure. Perhaps you chose to prioritise the cups because probably felt that was your best chance at a trophy. While we went all in on the league as we didn't have the squad to compete on multiple fronts last season. Hopefully that has improved now.

5 points only because of the points dropped at Brighton and Brentford due to their CL commitments. The 75% claim is as laughable as it can get - because they have always played couple of games less since December. Just like us , it was just a false dawn for you guys. Fact is there were never a race last year.

It's amazing, 90% of the posters on here think last season we threw it away and was the worst bottle job in history, with Arsenal fans trying to dampen that down. Now we have roles revered the last couple of posts. :D

Calling anything other than emulating one of the best PL teams ever a failure is a bit much, no?

Read the 115 charges thread and the arsenal thread.
I didn’t call Arsenal / Arteta a failure. But naturally given you nearly won the league last season your expectations should be sky high.

Thought they looked underwhelming yesterday in general play, not as slick as last season, and without the same extended periods of pressure. Think that's partly because Saka, Odegaard and Martinelli aren't quite firing on all cylinders yet, which will surely come soon. But their midfield and defense seemed kind of muddled. Maybe Arteta is trying to mix it up a bit more rather than play the same team every week again.

Ultimately I agree that City were always going to win it - I never started believing we'd win it until Feb/March, then Saliba got injured. I knew then we were cooked and Holding had to play much more than planned. I never thought we had the squad depth to genuinely compete on multiple fronts, which is why I think Arteta seemed to prioritise the league over the cups.
Though I think it's too early to say it's a "false dawn" for us 4 games into the new season. Interestingly this time last season, Arsenal had a 100% record and City had 10 points. The reverse is true right now.

Wow, think people are getting carried away with how poor Arsenal are, they've dominated all of their games but have lacked fluidity and cutting edge this season due to Arteta's tinkering and the whole forcing Havertz into the team.

I know football fans are reactionary but you really can't make any conclusions on how the season will go based on the first 4 games.
After Matchday1 there were people predicting Newcastle to win the title and Chelsea to get top 4, 3 games later neither looks like they'll make top 4, another 4 games later either could be 'challenging for the title' if things go well.

Performances now should not be a barometer of the season, things can change real fast over just another 4 games as teams start to gel and perform better or worse.

Wow, think people are getting carried away with how poor Arsenal are, they've dominated all of their games but have lacked fluidity and cutting edge this season due to Arteta's tinkering and the whole forcing Havertz into the team.

I know football fans are reactionary but you really can't make any conclusions on how the season will go based on the first 4 games.
After Matchday1 there were people predicting Newcastle to win the title and Chelsea to get top 4, 3 games later neither looks like they'll make top 4, another 4 games later either could be 'challenging for the title' if things go well.

Performances now should not be a barometer of the season, things can change real fast over just another 4 games as teams start to gel and perform better or worse.
I too am surprised that everyone's got their crystal ball out so early on. Things change fast in football and it's a long, long season.

Yeah shocking that people are giving their opinions about Arsenal performances after a few games, in the context of them having supposedly "challenged for the title" last year. It's almost as if we were on an internet message board that is made up of opinions and predictions that are worthless in the long run - but I'm sure you two would never be guilty of such a sin.

Yeah shocking that people are giving their opinions about Arsenal performances after a few games, in the context of them having supposedly "challenged for the title" last year. It's almost as if we were on an internet message board that is made up of opinions and predictions that are worthless in the long run - but I'm sure you two would never be guilty of such a sin.

Aye, I’m sure Arsenal Mania is the voice of reason.

Yesterday's goal was a bit of a one off from Rashford. Last year's version was harder to stop. It is a well taken goal for sure but for starters Havertz gives the ball away cheaply. Defensively, we should have stopped that though. It is a moment of uncertainty from Ben that allows Rashford to go to the far side. Ben initially covers it well and at the last second he bites and thinks to cover the near side and leaves Rams hanging in the process and Saliba redundant. Saliba and Rams had the inside covered so it was mostly Ben's fault. Not a huge deal but two mistakes in a row can be severely punished.

The Garnacho chance was more alarming...but really there were so few chances for our opposition again. That has to be a bit comforting.

Yesterday's goal was a bit of a one off from Rashford. Last year's version was harder to stop. It is a well taken goal for sure but for starters Havertz gives the ball away cheaply. Defensively, we should have stopped that though. It is a moment of uncertainty from Ben that allows Rashford to go to the far side. Ben initially covers it well and at the last second he bites and thinks to cover the near side and leaves Rams hanging in the process and Saliba redundant. Saliba and Rams had the inside covered so it was mostly Ben's fault. Not a huge deal but two mistakes in a row can be severely punished.

The Garnacho chance was more alarming...but really there were so few chances for our opposition again. That has to be a bit comforting.
It helps when you can rugby tackle the opposition players in your own box with impunity though.

And there was a stretch of the game after Hojlund came on, then Garnacho, where you looked very unsettled and the game could've gone either way (and truly should've gone Utd's way in that moment). The overall xG of the game is one that doesn't really highlight the actual physionomy of the game.

I'm more surprised that people are making predictions about who will finish top 4 etc after 4 games. City clearly are ahead as usual, but there seems to be very little in it between the also-rans.

I'm more surprised that people are making predictions about who will finish top 4 etc after 4 games.
You've never been on an internet message board before? You didn't take notice of the threads actually dedicated to predictions?

What's weird about it exactly? That people might be wrong and are venturing an opinion?

You've never been on an internet message board before? You didn't take notice of the threads actually dedicated to predictions?

What's weird about it exactly? That people might be wrong and are venturing an opinion?
Not weird just a bit surprising after 4 games, just my opinion. Personally I like to have more evidence before making predictions, especially this season where you have a few teams that are somewhat unknown quantities with new managers, lots of new players (eg Chelsea, Liverpool rebuilding). Football is too unpredictable, just look at my betting account. :lol:

Arsenal have regressed?

Granted I won’t judge United too harshly because they fielded a team from an injury hit squad. United are also looking to improve once Hojlund and Amrabat are integrated into the team. So expect improvements and a much better United in time.

But Arsenal regressing is a strange one to me. Yes you can make the argument that Arsenal aren’t as exciting as last season, but Arsenal look far more controlling of their games now. And please let’s not delude ourselves on talk that United dominated play for long periods, they absolutely didn’t. United were better in the second half and had good spells of possession and attack, but they were 2-3 minute spells at best.

I’m sorry guys, but Arsenal completely controlled United and made your team look like schoolboys for most of the match. United looked largely clueless when they couldn’t get space in behind Arsenal, and Arsenal deliberately gave United the ball and exposed their lack of ability to play with it.

The only positive United can take is that they kept it at 1-1 for almost the entire game. Nottingham Forest had a better on field performance at the Emirates.

Unfortunately it’s not a clear indicator of Arsenal’s real strength this season yet. Everton and City are the real tests to come over the next weeks.

City are still clear of the pack, but next up is Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle and possibly Brighton and Spurs if they remain fit. I’m interested to see how United improve as well, as they too should feature at the top.

Last edited:
Arsenal have regressed?

Granted I won’t judge United too harshly because they fielded a team from an injury hit squad. United are also looking to improve once Hojlund and Amrabat are integrated into the team. So expect improvements and a much better United in time.

But Arsenal regressing is a strange one to me. Yes you can make the argument that Arsenal aren’t as exciting as last season, but Arsenal look far more controlling of their games now. And please let’s not delude ourselves on talk that United dominated play for long periods, they absolutely didn’t. United were better in the second half and had good spells of possession and attack, but they were 2-3 minute spells at best.

I’m sorry guys, but Arsenal completely controlled United and made your team look like schoolboys for most of the match. United looked largely clueless when they couldn’t get space in behind Arsenal, and Arsenal deliberately gave United the ball and exposed their lack of ability to play with it.

The only positive United can take is that they kept it at 1-1 for almost the entire game. Nottingham Forest had a better on field performance at the Emirates.

Unfortunately it’s not a clear indicator of Arsenal’s real strength this season yet. Everton and City are the real tests to come over the next weeks.

City are still clear of the pack, but next up is Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle and possibly Brighton and Spurs if they remain fit. I’m interested to see how United improve as well, as they too should feature at the top.
Wild take.

Wild take.

Honestly, I dont think so.

I understand this is a United forum, and the takes here will have built in United bias. But to say Arsenal are regressed because they arent as exciting is the wild take to be honest. How exciting have City been over the last 5 seasons?

Its about control and reacting to teams who dont come out of their block against Arsenal. Granted Arsenal arent as incisive as last season, but that's not because Arsenal cant play that way anymore, its more because Arsenal have injuries to key progressers (Partey and Timber) and are looking to play differently with their new players. That 22/23 system is still there and can be used if needed and players are available.

Its not the end of the world for United though. Hojlund looks a proper outlet, and Amrabat looks to be the #6/#8 profile needed next to Mount. I do expect United to get much better.

Last edited:
Arsenal fans during an Arsenal boom period. Sixty percent of the time it works EVERY time.

It helps when you can rugby tackle the opposition players in your own box with impunity though.

And there was a stretch of the game after Hojlund came on, then Garnacho, where you looked very unsettled and the game could've gone either way (and truly should've gone Utd's way in that moment). The overall xG of the game is one that doesn't really highlight the actual physionomy of the game.
Especially when you consider Jesus's goal contributed to 0.78 of the xG when the tie was officially over and done with.

Arsenal don't look as annoying to play against as last season. Last season they used to dominate teams in the first 30-40 minutes in a way we haven't seen them do at all so far this season, they also look much slower in getting the ball to their dangermen Odegaard/Saka and I think this is due to Rice not being as good at passing through the lines as Partey. I also think this was the reason why Arteta played Partey as an inverted rb as to try and help Rice out in that regard. A lot of Arsenal fans should take the Partey injury as a blessing in disguise because if he was up against Rashford on the break it would have been curtains for you.

Honestly, I dont think so.

I understand this is a United forum, and the takes here will have built in United bias. But to say Arsenal are regressed because they arent as exciting is the wild take to be honest. How exciting have City been over the last 5 seasons?

Its about control and reacting to teams who dont come out of their block against Arsenal. Granted Arsenal arent as incisive as last season, but that's not because Arsenal cant play that way anymore, its more because Arsenal have injuries to key progressers (Partey and Timber) and are looking to play differently with their new players. That 22/23 system is still there and can be used if needed and players are available.

Its not the end of the world for United though. Hojlund looks a proper outlet, and Amrabat looks to be the #6/#8 profile needed next to Mount. I do expect United to get much better.
But you didn't control the game. You were a couple of ref wild mistakes away of losing it, and a draw would have been as fair as the final result. It was very fine margins, which contradicts the idea of you being in control.

Also I understand the bitterness against Evra and man vs boys and the desire to get one over the club, but this game was anything but "making the team look like schoolboys". If anything, Ten Hag's tactics seemed marginally more effective than Arteta's.

It's not a scandalous win by any means, but yes your portrayal of the result is absolutely wild. It was overall a very tight game.

But you didn't control the game. You were a couple of ref wild mistakes away of losing it, and a draw would have been as fair as the final result. It was very fine margins, which contradicts the idea of you being in control.

Also I understand the bitterness against Evra and man vs boys and the desire to get one over the club, but this game was anything but "making the team look like schoolboys". If anything, Ten Hag's tactics seemed marginally more effective than Arteta's.

It's not a scandalous win by any means, but yes your portrayal of the result is absolutely wild. It was overall a very tight game.

An absolutely tight game :lol:

So tight, that we were able to go direct, drag your players out of your block, combine and respond to your opener within 30 seconds of you scoring :lol:

We absolutely controlled the game, you guys were absolutely nowhere for most of the first half, and outside a few good moments for you, nowhere in the second half.

I would concede though that we should have put the game to bed far sooner, it was tight at the end because you guys were sitting deep for your point. That's a problem we have with lower league teams at the Emirates as well, so a work in progress and will cost us if we dont fix.

I liked Hojlund's cameo though, looked really menacing in the duels and had some good movement off the ball as well. Could have scored two goals and had a penalty if things went his way. That was different and a good sign for United, and their hopes this season.

As for the schoolboy comment, yes that's exactly how it looked Im afraid. Couldnt build with the ball, couldnt go long with the ball because there was no space to chase into. And couldnt create the numbers in central areas to force the turnover against Arsenal. There was only one moment where your combination worked centrally and that was for the Garnacho goal.

There is a reason why Arsenal under Arteta has dominated against United in the last 10-12 games. Its because Arsenal are doing exactly the same thing Evra's United did to Arsenal. Men against Boys.

Last edited:

So tight, that we were able to go direct, drag your players out of your block, combine and respond to your opener within 30 seconds of you scoring :lol:

We absolutely controlled the game, you guys were absolutely nowhere for most of the first half, and outside a few good moments for you in the second half.

I liked Hojlund's cameo though, looked really menacing in the duels and had some good movement off the ball as well. Could have scored two goals and had a penalty if things went his way. That was different and a good sign for United, and their hopes this season.

As for the schoolboy comment, yes that's exactly how it looked Im afraid. Couldnt build with the ball, couldnt go long with the ball because there was no space to chase into. And couldnt create the numbers in central areas to force the turnover against Arsenal. There was only one moment where your combination worked centrally and that was for the Garnacho goal.

There is a reason why Arsenal under Arteta has dominated against United in the last 10-12 games. Its because Arsenal are doing exactly the same thing Evra's United did to Arsenal. Men against Boys.
Ah, you're one of those. See you in May!

You are not going to get reasonable debate in here after the weekends game. Arsenal were not great by any means, but they were clearly superior in a rather strange game, where Man Utd were just content on passing it around the back running down the clock like a relegation battling side would(?), it was odd to witness.

No need for the bitterness, Arsenal are just futher along. Although Ten Hag needs to sort out his ridiculously embarrassing away record sharpish or people's patience will quickly run out, it's no wonder they achieve nothing against the better sides when they play as cautiously as Sheffield United would.

"This is a message board where people have discussions and make predictions that might be wrong"

*Arsenal fan gives an opinion*

"No, not like that!"

They have two very good players in Odergaard and Martinelli. Saka is good, but feel these two elevate Arsenal into the ‘best of the rest’ conversation.

Who are their backups, out of curiosity? Feels like this season Arsenal have spent on improving the bench and depth more than the first XI. Rice cost a thumping amount but I don’t feel like he makes such a significant improvement. Solid acquisition nevertheless.

We absolutely controlled the game, you guys were absolutely nowhere for most of the first half, and outside a few good moments for you, nowhere in the second half.

I would concede though that we should have put the game to bed far sooner, it was tight at the end because you guys were sitting deep for your point. That's a problem we have with lower league teams at the Emirates as well, so a work in progress and will cost us if we dont fix.

Sounds like men against boys and a very controlled game on your part. Congrats.
Let's hope like Evra's United you can go on to win a UCL and 5 epl titles and not just the men against boys Arsenal United trophy.

You are not going to get reasonable debate in here after the weekends game. Arsenal were not great by any means, but they were clearly superior in a rather strange game, where Man Utd were just content on passing it around the back running down the clock like a relegation battling side would(?), it was odd to witness.

No need for the bitterness, Arsenal are just futher along. Although Ten Hag needs to sort out his ridiculously embarrassing away record sharpish or people's patience will quickly run out, it's no wonder they achieve nothing against the better sides when they play as cautiously as Sheffield United would.

Ahh the Bolton fan who exclusively comments on United and Arsenal.

Arsenal fans during an Arsenal boom period. Sixty percent of the time it works EVERY time.
It's funny that United fans laugh at Arsenal/Liverpool fans for this "boom-bust" period but surely it's better than United's perpetual bust period.

It's funny that United fans laugh at Arsenal/Liverpool fans for this "boom-bust" period but surely it's better than United's perpetual bust period.
Arsenals Boom Bust period:
4 FA cups
Our perpetual bust period:
1 FA Cup
2 League Cups
1 Europa League

Arsenals Boom Bust period:
4 FA cups
Our perpetual bust period:
1 FA Cup
2 League Cups
1 Europa League
Yeah that's not what a boom bust period is.

The boom is the early parts of the season where the fans are optimistic that the team is going to do well and win trophies, and the bust is the part of the season when the fans realise that's not gonna happen.

Do United fans realise that football is supposed to be fun? That you're supposed to enjoy supporting your team?

The boom is the early parts of the season where the fans are optimistic that the team is going to do well and win trophies, and the bust is the part of the season when the fans realise that's not gonna happen.

So United didn’t have a good season last term? Interesting

Do United fans realise that football is supposed to be fun? That you're supposed to enjoy supporting your team?
You do realise that your team hasn't been in the UCL since Wenger left ? What are you talking about ? last season was the last time I've seen Arsenal fans optimistic about their team since the Leicester title win season. We'd have to be terrible for another decade for us to have not won the league for the amount of time you haven't.

Last edited:

I think the schoolboys take is wild. But other than that few things to note
1. We didn't press hard and were comfortable giving you the ball. This is not out of respect, we don't even do this against ManCity. This was because we were sure that you keeping the ball was not at all dangerous. And that was how it turned this should be a big RED FLAG for united.
2. The Rice goal was planned, Rice was not marked at the back post for the whole game. He had one header in the first half aswell. So this was bound to happen. There is a video on Tifo which shows this well.
3. The biggest red flag is the ETH comments before/after match. The Sancho handling. The blaming of officials. Claiming you were the better team. Honestly that sounded deluded to me.
4. Regarding officiating, The offside may not be clear but this is generally objective decision which happens almost every week where things are very close. The way it is blown out currently is like the ref forgot to draw the line.
Also I am yet to one more example of a VAR guy overturning a penalty that Havertz got. That never happens. It was a 50/50 maybe less but not a clear and obvious error which is what is thrown around generally. And honestly even in these first few games you guys have seen decisions go your way as against what ETH and your fans would claim.

Overall I do agree while our plan worked but we couldn't finish few chances we created like Saka or Rice header misses.
So while we were better but it could be debated if we were 3 points better.

Btw Rasmus looks good.

And we have not started as strongly as last season and ManCity have started even stronger so yeah thats a pitty.

Well, Liverpool’s boom period did involve winning a title.