Arsenal 2023/24 - Born to be runner up

We're very overrated in the mainstream and social media. Artetas overbearing management style combined with complicated tactics will cause player burnout.

Got outplayed by Monaco. Albeit we didn't have all our main starters, it's still concerning. With Jesus out, we need a new striker.
I don't understand the need for a new striker. Nketiah will play when Jesus is out. Trossard and even Havertz can play there if necessary. Balogun is still on the book,

Spending so much on Havertz and not getting a striker will hurt Arsenal badly this season.

I don't understand the need for a new striker. Nketiah will play when Jesus is out. Trossard and even Havertz can play there if necessary. Balogun is still on the book,

Nketiah is a trier but he's not good enough, especially in a 433. Trossard can do a role there but I think we need a Giroud or Drogba target man profile. Balogun will likely leave.

Nketiah is a trier but he's not good enough, especially in a 433. Trossard can do a role there but I think we need a Giroud or Drogba target man profile. Balogun will likely leave.
I am pretty certain Arteta will just utilize the players he has in the team.

We're very overrated in the mainstream and social media. Artetas overbearing management style combined with complicated tactics will cause player burnout.

Got outplayed by Monaco. Albeit we didn't have all our main starters, it's still concerning. With Jesus out, we need a new striker.
I thought this is what Havertz was for ?

I know he's played as number 8 but Arteta's not dumb is he ?

Few months at least. Never heard of a knee surgery being a 3/4/5 week turnaround.
Pre season is always the worst time to get injured as well, there isn’t a level of fitness built up to fall back on

on Gabriel Jesus’ injury:
Unfortunately, he has had a little procedure this morning, he had some discomfort in his knee that has been causing some issues and they had to go in and resolve it. It's not something major, but he's going to be out for a few weeks I think.

on how big a blow Jesus’ injury is:
Yeah, it's a big blow because we had him back to his best, especially with the way he played against Barcelona, and he was in good condition, and we've lost him. He's been feeling some discomfort in the last few weeks, we had to look at it and we had to make a decision and the best one is to protect the player and get him back as quickly as possible, so we decided to do it.

on if it’s a new injury for Jesus:
No, it's something related to the previous injury that he had and the surgery. He had some irritation in the knee and we had to get it resolved.

I thought this is what Havertz was for ?

I know he's played as number 8 but Arteta's not dumb is he ?

We'll see, of course Havertz can play there but then what's the point of spending all this time training him as a cm?

Unfortunate news on Jesus. Nketiah did well last season when filling in but I do feel we need a bit more upfront, especially with Jesus looking like a bit of a sick note. Arteta said it doesn't change the plans for Balogun (they still plan to sell him) but I hope this changes or we are looking for another CF.

We'll see, of course Havertz can play there but then what's the point of spending all this time training him as a cm?
I think Arteta wants to be able to utilise him in both positions. Primarily he'll play LCM but can be false 9 if needed. Similar to how he likes defenders to be able to play CB and fullback (Tomi, White and now Timber can do this).

Rumours doing the rounds they are after Caicedo now too.

Rumours doing the rounds they are after Caicedo now too.
Pepe is getting terminated, Tierney and Partey looks to be staying and we might get Raya for 30+. Unless someone buys Balogun for 75M i don't see how we can get him.
I hope Jesus can be back for United and the start of the CL but i feel it will be mid-September

Got outplayed by Monaco :lol: You need to stop watching Lee Gunner bro.

You are only outplayed when you are dominated in visual and in statistical metrics. Competing with a team who looks to counter attack you is not domination, its better tactical planning on the day. It was a good match for Arsenal to play, because that will be the exact football they will face 80-90% of the time. The team needs to know the reality of this coming season, and find ways to get through it.

As for "complicated tactics"... if you think Arteta's tactics are complicated, imagine the level of Guardiola's tactics. So no, this point isnt a problem for the players.

Pepe is getting terminated, Tierney and Partey looks to be staying and we might get Raya for 30+. Unless someone buys Balogun for 75M i don't see how we can get him.
I hope Jesus can be back for United and the start of the CL but i feel it will be mid-September

Some rumours that Jesus could be back as soon as Palace this month.

As for the striker situation, we have enough cover in the meantime. Trossard will very likely start as our CF, and we have both Nketiah and Havertz to give us other aspects of Jesus' game, and more.

As for "complicated tactics"... if you think Arteta's tactics are complicated, imagine the level of Guardiola's tactics. So no, this point isnt a problem for the players.
This doesn't make particular sense in isolation, Pep's players are just better and more intelligent all around than any other squad in the league.

This doesn't make particular sense in isolation, Pep's players are just better and more intelligent all around than any other squad in the league.

The players may be better than anyone else, but that doesnt automatically mean they are less intelligent as well. It doesnt work that way.

Football education, including tactics, forms a part of a footballer's job. So if there is one area where you can make a safe assumption, its that players will be taught how to play a manager's way and execute his tactics.

So no, tactics being too complicated shouldnt be an issue. It becomes an issue if the tactics being taught are rubbish, and that would translate to rubbish performances and a sacked manager in the end.

What do you think the actual situation will be, as we know that's never, ever the case.

My guess is Ramsdale will start as first choice, Raya will play cup games I'd imagine, and it will be up to Ramsdale to perform well enough to keep the shirt.

That situation will only last for a season or 2 before 1 of the goalkeepers gets frustrated.

Unless he really does plan to rotate the keepers but can't remembering that really working out for anyone either.

What do you think the actual situation will be, as we know that's never, ever the case.
I think Ramsdale will keep top spot for now, but Raya will be hot on his heels and one costly mistake will see Raya given a chance. I think Raya will probably play the cups but as others have said keeper rotation is difficult to pull off and eventually one of them will become unsatisfied. Raya is in his prime, Ramsdale probably just a bit before his prime so I'm fascinated to see how this competition will turn out.

I would bet all my money that that channel's audience is 90% non-arsenal fans having a laugh. I've never talked to an arsenal fan who enjoys that.

bloody embarassment the things they say on that channel (which i only see from Tik Tok these days).
Half the stuff they laugh at others for is crap from what others say about Arsenal.

it's about as childish and basic as you can get masking themselves as professionals because of a low budget studio and production feel.
i sincerely wish they get cancelled

I would bet all my money that that channel's audience is 90% non-arsenal fans having a laugh. I've never talked to an arsenal fan who enjoys that.

I can say I don't watch them and I cringe whenever I see clips or hear about something silly they have said.

BBC expert predictions

Incredible amount of confidence in Arsenal this year among BBC's experts. 22 out of 26 have them either winning the Premier League or finishing 2nd (obviously the vast majority for the latter).

Noticed this during the game, weird commentators barely mentioned it.

They did highlight it on MOTD but Lineker and Shearer both dismissed it.

Yeah, they mentioned Steve Cooper bringing it up, highlighted it and both said sorry but he's wrong on this occasion. I thought they dismissed it a but easy as well.

Was highlighted at the time by Arsenal fans another good reason to sign Rice, potential future England getting G the
50/50 decisions. :wenger:

It is better for Balogun to go to a team he can start every week. West Ham, Palace, or may be even Spurs would be a better choice for him.

I didn’t see anything of him last season, but I think Arsenal’s asking price is like over £50M, which is a hefty price. I doubt any of those teams will come to the table at that fee. Neither will anyone else probably.