Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

I finished the first series of The Bridge. Good stuff. I'll be very impressed if either of the remakes are in fact better.

Been watching that myself during the True Detective 'Superbowl' break and it's pretty good stuff. Down to the final few episodes of Season 1 and it's started to get a little bit too bogged down in played out serial killer tropes
the kidnapping the children episode was a bit wanky
but it deserves credit for having one of the most interesting female protagonists on tv for a long time.

A good title song always helps too. All the best shows have them.

Storage Wars is a good bit of comedy for anyone looking, Americans buying junk for more than it's worth, then pretending it's worth about 10 times what it's actually worth.

Been watching that myself during the True Detective 'Superbowl' break and it's pretty good stuff. Down to the final few episodes of Season 1 and it's started to get a little bit too bogged down in played out serial killer tropes
the kidnapping the children episode was a bit wanky
but it deserves credit for having one of the most interesting female protagonists on tv for a long time.

A good title song always helps too. All the best shows have them.

I spoke to soon.

Ridiculous 'twists' at the end of the season. Oh well...

I've plowed through Futurama recently, can't believe I avoided it for so long. Dr Zoidberg is a delightful comedic character.
Yeah great show, and there's some really moving episodes in there. I watched them ages ago but there was an episode centered around Fry and his brother that was very touching.

Storage Wars is a good bit of comedy for anyone looking, Americans buying junk for more than it's worth, then pretending it's worth about 10 times what it's actually worth.
"Yeah this broken lamp will easily sell for $300-400." Such a bunch of bullshitters :lol:.

Agree with the Futurama love. Was checking the wiki to see how many seasons there is and apparently the first episode aired 15 years ago.

Does that make you feel old? It should.

"Yeah this broken lamp will easily sell for $300-400." Such a bunch of bullshitters :lol:.

Agree with the Futurama love. Was checking the wiki to see how many seasons there is and apparently the first episode aired 15 years ago.

Does that make you feel old? It should.

It's weird, because I'll still watch it :lol: I've seen a couple where they have actually found valuable stuff. Still, the bins/lockers are obviously set up as the auctioneers always seem to know where switches are or where to look fr the best stuff.

15 years? :wenger: I'm old.

One 90s show that I always recommend to any comedy fans is NewsRadio. Ensemble cast of characters working on the...well, radio specializing in news. Not that the show deals with news that much though. Brilliant part for late Phil Hartman as Bill McNeal.

For the guys that are watching and like "True Detective", i recommend to watch "Twin Peaks"... a classic from 1990.

they are quite different, but has some stuff in common as well. Highly recommended.

ps. i remember when i watched the first episode, i cried. :( Found some stuff really sad.

need to watch again.

For the guys that are watching and like "True Detective", i recommend to watch "Twin Peaks"... a classic from 1990.

they are quite different, but has some stuff in common as well. Highly recommended.
Absolutely agree, Twin Peaks was brilliant. Well, apart from the ending which was pretty much a cliffhanger.

By the way Tarrou cheers, I'm gonna give The Newsroom a go. I'd watched that scene where Jeff Daniels gives his speech about the greatness of America, thought it was quite good, so I'll be watching it!

Really? I'd heard good things about it, what's so bad about it?
Cheesy as feck, cringey love triangle, annoying Ellen Page-allergic reaction girl and so forth. Jeff Daniels is great though with his jumper/shirt combos and mist walking. It improved during the second season but then I kinda lost interest as it was the bad things that kept me watching.

You'll go full blown Mockney.

Cheesy as feck, cringey love triangle, annoying Ellen Page-allergic reaction girl and so forth. Jeff Daniels is great though with his jumper/shirt combos and mist walking. It improved during the second season but then I kinda lost interest as it was the bad things that kept me watching.

You'll go full blown Mockney.
:lol:

Hmm right. Just checked what you suggested above, Rick & Morty, and saw it was created by Dan Harmon. I quite liked Community, so I'm wondering whether I could enjoy this. What's it about/what kind of tone does it have?

:lol:

Hmm right. Just checked what you suggested above, Rick & Morty, and saw it was created by Dan Harmon. I quite liked Community, so I'm wondering whether I could enjoy this. What's it about/what kind of tone does it have?
It probably helps if you like Aaron Sorkin...I'm yet to be fully convinced by him.

It's kinda like a mental Back to the Future parody, totally off-the-wall and at times quite disturbing.

It probably helps if you like Aaron Sorkin...I'm yet to be fully convinced by him.

It's kinda like a mental Back to the Future parody, totally off-the-wall and at times quite disturbing.
Yeah I have to say I do quite like Aaron Sorkin, especially The West Wing which I adored. I'll probably give it a go at some time or another, just to make my mind up.

But I'll check out Rick & Morty first, sounds like it could be good fun and the format is good.

Banshee is nonsense but at least it knows that it is nonsense. The Newsroom thinks it is making fantastic television when it's really just pseudo-intellectual rants from an old white man. But The Newsroom has good actors and professional production so you can see the potential for a good show.

Finally started watching season 3 of Luther tonight with the missus.

It's great stuff for those who haven't watched it. Idris Elba is great.

@KingEric7 should give it a try!

So basically the sheriff could beat up Jeff Daniels unless Daniels bored him to death before?
The grand, luminary Jeff Daniels? You have a lot to learn. Behold!

mistwalk2.gif

Yeah I have to say I do quite like Aaron Sorkin, especially The West Wing which I adored. I'll probably give it a go at some time or another, just to make my mind up.

But I'll check out Rick & Morty first, sounds like it could be good fun and the format is good.

Got to get on that Rick and Morty - amazing show. On some sort of hiatus right now until March, but the first episodes have all been great (there's been either 4 or 5 shows)

Also, the West Wing is great, just got this annoying tendency to beat the audience to death with how smart all the characters are. I've only watched the first 20 episodes or so, but its already annoying how often Josh mentions his Harvard education, how often someone tells Toby how great he is and a world class political opponent, or how often Bartlet brings up that he was Nobel Laureate, okay, we get it, you're all really bright!

Also, the Newsroom. If the show as a whole is seen as a 60 minute length episode, 15 minutes would be really good, worthwhile drama, whle the other 45 minutes or so would be cliched, over the top and even naive. Its frustrating because that 15 minutes is actually really good, with so much potential, but its the 45 other minutes that are so disheartening. Plus, Daniels is damn good in this, and its all for nothing because the rest of the cast aren't redeeming characters

Also, the Newsroom. If the show as a whole is seen as a 60 minute length episode, 15 minutes would be really good, worthwhile drama, whle the other 45 minutes or so would be cliched, over the top and even naive. Its frustrating because that 15 minutes is actually really good, with so much potential, but its the 45 other minutes that are so disheartening. Plus, Daniels is damn good in this, and its all for nothing because the rest of the cast aren't redeeming characters
Agreed. I can't think of a show with a bigger gap in quality between the main character and the rest of the cast. All the women are hysterical and overly emotional, the men all boring and bland. Sam Waterston can hardly speak ffs.

Agreed. I can't think of a show with a bigger gap in quality between the main character and the rest of the cast. All the women are hysterical and overly emotional, the men all boring and bland. Sam Waterston can hardly speak ffs.

Jane Fonda's cameos are class though. I don't like any of the characters.

Its in complete contrast to Sorkins' other works, especially the West Wing. I'm going to be as vauge as possible here, but in one of the episodes of the West Wing, a relatively minor character dies in the second season finale. This is a character that wasn't essential to any of the plot lines, yet his or her relationship with Bartlet was a nice touch in the series. The character was endeering, and the death of that character, and its effect on Bartlet, tugged at the heart strings. In another episode, Toby finds out that a homeless Vietnam vet that had his jacket died in a park. He organizes a military funeral. Its a great episode, and shows a side of Toby that wasn't yet really shown; his humanity. Up to that point, the first season had him as a dry, witty and bright aid but overall, human interaction seemed to be a nuisance for him. And yet, in this one episode, Toby, who I found to be a likeable asshole, suddenly became a redeeming character because of his, well, character and morals.

This is the difference between the West Wing and the Newsroom. I didn't care about or, even worse, care for the majority of the characters. And worse, they don't even feel like real people. Nobody gives a shit if Emily Elizabeth and the little guy get together, and nobody cares about Jeff Daniels and his producer. The West Wing had the bullshit love stuff too, but it was more subtle and it didn't have entire plot lines written around it. Some of the scenes about editing on the fly, or the meetings debating whether to run certain stories; that's the stuff that is interesting. Looking at a liberal outsider on Romney's campaign IS interesting. I don't care who Jim wants to have sex with, I really couldn't care any less.

The West Wing was set in rooms and places that the public wasn't supposed to be, and it convinced you that these scenes were a plausible reality with real people. The show also had characters that could be venerated while at the same acted in ways that made them personable and relatable. The Newsroom has about 3 scene an episode that are interesting, and about 15 scenes with whiny, boring characters that nobody could conceiveably care about.

I don't know how Sorkin can write characters that are so layered and nuanced in one show, and characters that are boring and lack depth in another

Last edited: