Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Which one? Danish/Swedish?

I've been hipster watching the American version, it's good.

It's the same one I think? I think some characters speak Danish and some speak Swedish.

Edit:Wait, is there Spanish speaking in the American one? I understand your question now. Yeah the Danish/Swedish one.

Last edited:
Which one? Danish/Swedish?

I've been hipster watching the American version, it's good.

Yeah, it's rare, for me, for an American version to trump the original of a film or tv series but I found it better than either the original Swedish/Danish series, Bron, or the UK's The Tunnel

It's the same one I think? I think some characters speak Danish and some speak Swedish.

Edit:Wait, is there Spanish speaking in the American one? I understand your question now. Yeah the Danish/Swedish one.
Yeah, I heard the American/Mexican one was better so I gave it a go. It's very good.

This thread should be stickied.

What's the show Getting On liked? I just recently heard about HBO remaking it. Going by google, the critics in the UK seemed to like it. Worth a punt?

It has Jo Brand right? So it has to be awful surely.

Wait til you see her in S2.

Honestly though, S2 is the weakest of the bunch, very much a transition season, so stick by it. S3 on the other hand is incredible.

GotA is well worth the watch, too.
I actually watched season 2 without watching the mini series. I'd already started it and didn't have the patience to put it on hold. Season 2 was slow to begin but the last few episodes were excellent.

Looking forward to season 3!

Started watching Friday Night Lights. It seems ok so far... anyone know what the quality gets like as the show progresses?

Funny, I'm re watching it at the moment! For me season 2 is the weakest, it has one majorly stupid plotline and like many series is very much a transition season. However I thought it picked up after that. Even season 2 is watchable anyway. It's a good show, a lot of great characters and a nice portrait of a simple American town. You really get the feeling of being there and rooting for the team at times. The plotlines are a bit hit and miss with some being overly teeny drama, but overall it's really good.

Started watching Vikings and Black Sails... Black sails only has one episode out so hard to comment, but Vikings FWIW I'm quite impressed with, but I like the medieval war series so it is tailored for me, perhaps the lack of budget was apparent in the first 3 episodes but it seems to have moved on since that, really enjoying it and waiting for season 2.

Yeah, Vikings is good fun. Obvious comparisons were made to Game of Thrones at first, the budget and acting falling short but in terms of pure action entertainment it better Game Of Thrones.

I'm skeptical of Black Sails, will see how it's received after a few episodes and then jump in.

Any Francophiles with an interest in The Voice - La plus belle voix?

It's been a good start to it's 3rd season, IMO. Mika is a great addition and there's a different feel to how the show is compared to their English or American counterparts - a bit more authenticity I've found.

Any Francophiles with an interest in The Voice - La plus belle voix?

It's been a good start to it's 3rd season, IMO. Mika is a great addition and there's a different feel to how the show is compared to their English or American counterparts - a bit more authenticity I've found.

Only thing I've seen of that is the Lebanese girl who went on it (...and it's only because I'm Lebanese and my whole facebook page was flooded with her audition clip).

Only thing I've seen of that is the Lebanese girl who went on it (...and it's only because I'm Lebanese and my whole facebook page was flooded with her audition clip).

Yeah that was an odd audition, seeing that it was in Arabic but I enjoyed it. I went through a phase where I tried to collect as much contemporary Arabic music as I could - all starting from a sample of some Amr Diab

I like it, but there's too much of Samberg. Yeah, he's the main character, and I do not mind him, but too few jokes do not revolve around him. Still one of the top new shows. Hope they get a new season, along with the Crazy Ones and the Michael J. Fox Show.

Anyone watches/watched Star Trek: The Next Generation? It's been a while since I last saw it, but I do have fun in my current rewatch (season 3 at the moment). Of course, there are garbage episodes, but also a lot of really good stuff.

I like it, but there's too much of Samberg. Yeah, he's the main character, and I do not mind him, but too few jokes do not revolve around him. Still one of the top new shows. Hope they get a new season, along with the Crazy Ones and the Michael J. Fox Show.
Haven't watched it yet, but I think they did well at the Golden Globes (didn't Samberg win an award himself), so it'd be surprising if they didn't get another season.

Anyone watches/watched Star Trek: The Next Generation? It's been a while since I last saw it, but I do have fun in my current rewatch (season 3 at the moment). Of course, there are garbage episodes, but also a lot of really good stuff.

Of course! One of the best shows around, in its own way. Yes, it's cheesy 90s style, yes it has some trite social plots, yes there are some episodes that are less than impressive and it's not your most visually astounding sci-fi or anything, but it's driven beautifully by ideas and dialectic. I love it. And Picard is so wonderfully level-headed and wise in his decision-making. :drool:

Just looking and yeah, Samberg and the show itself won it. They are good, but they are not award winning good. I'd still put Parks & Rec easily above them, and even two other new shows, Crazy Ones and MJF Show, more consistent -- and still quite funny, than Brooklyn.

Haven't watched it yet, but I think they did well at the Golden Globes (didn't Samberg win an award himself), so it'd be surprising if they didn't get another season.

B99 is very good but it definitely lacks a standout character to elevate to the level of P&C or AD, a Ron Swanson, or Tobas, or Dwight etc. All the characters are pretty good but none are great.

Just finished the first season of Friday Night Lights and to be honest I really liked it. It has something for the missus (relationship issues, betrayal, love and all that) and something for the guys (the weekly football matches and cheesy lines like "get your head in the game!"). If you like those cheesy feel-good sports films like Glory Road and Coach Carter (which I do) then you will love this.

Just finished the first season of Friday Night Lights and to be honest I really liked it. It has something for the missus (relationship issues, betrayal, love and all that) and something for the guys (the weekly football matches and cheesy lines like "get your head in the game!"). If you like those cheesy feel-good sports films like Glory Road and Coach Carter (which I do) then you will love this.
I've said it many times and I'll carry on saying it, but FNL is much more than what you're describing, the cheesy feel good stuff and romance/relationships shit. It's a show about a small town and how their life is rhythmed by the football, it captures the essence of it better than any other show and effectively places Dillon as the most important character of all. Also, the chemistry between the coach and his wife is really exceptional, it's hard to believe they're not a real couple.

It's a bit hit and miss, second season notably is rather poor with some ludicrous plot lines, but overall it's a very sincere show and a bit deeper that it might appear at first. It's not a surprise it often appears in rankings on best US TV shows, there's something more to it than just the sum of its parts.

There's some really excellent standalone episodes along the way as well, 'The Son' being the first that comes to mind.

I've said it many times and I'll carry on saying it, but FNL is much more than what you're describing, the cheesy feel good stuff and romance/relationships shit. It's a show about a small town and how their life is rhythmed by the football, it captures the essence of it better than any other show and effectively places Dillon as the most important character of all. Also, the chemistry between the coach and his wife is really exceptional, it's hard to believe they're not a real couple.

It's a bit hit and miss, second season notably is rather poor with some ludicrous plot lines, but overall it's a very sincere show and a bit deeper that it might appear at first. It's not a surprise it often appears in rankings on best US TV shows, there's something more to it than just the sum of its parts.

There's some really excellent standalone episodes along the way as well, 'The Son' being the first that comes to mind.

Agree, I was just describing it in its simplest form, which is bad of me. The show does make you feel like you are in their town and makes each and every character relatable to an extent (although I want to punch Leyla in the face). The bit in bold is so damn true. I love their relationship, it seems so natural.

I can only imagine the season 2 plot line with Landry is infinitely better after watching breaking bad first.

Agree, I was just describing it in its simplest form, which is bad of me. The show does make you feel like you are in their town and makes each and every character relatable to an extent (although I want to punch Leyla in the face). The bit in bold is so damn true. I love their relationship, it seems so natural.
I'm actually re-watching it at the moment, and I'd forgotten how many simple but so natural and heart warming moments there are between them. It just feels very real, which is rare enough to be highlighted.

And yeah Lyla is annoying. Past the first 6 or 7 episodes in season 1, she doesn't even have any use to the show but I guess Minka Kelly was meant to be the teenage star (though she was like 24 or 25 when the show started :lol:) of the show? We're in season 2 at the moment, and the Landry/Tyra storyline is downright retarded, as were a couple of others. The season isn't ALL bad, but there's too much stupidity going around to make it that enjoyable. I remember it picking up again after that though, and really reinventing itself effectively for the last two seasons.
I can only imagine the season 2 plot line with Landry is infinitely better after watching breaking bad first.
:lol: Meth Damon committing his first major crime!

Anyone watch workaholics? One of the funniest shows around IMO, started its 4th season pretty recently. Would probably rank in my top 2 comedy shows, along with arrested development of course.

I finished the first series of The Bridge. Good stuff. I'll be very impressed if either of the remakes are in fact better.

I finished the first series of The Bridge. Good stuff. I'll be very impressed if either of the remakes are in fact better.

Was coming in this thread to ask which to watch, the American version or the original. 'Either' of the remakes? There is a third?

--

Just catching up on Californication. Watched the first 3 series ages ago but never continued once 4 started. Really enjoyed rewatching the first 3 seasons, but not enjoying season 4 much so far. If I'm honest, I'm looking forward to finishing it to start something else.

Any other shows in this mould? I feel like I've ran out of comedies to watch (or try). Californication is an easy watch with a few laughs. Entourage perhaps?

Is it cheesy? I tried Psych and White Collar a few months back and turned them off pretty quickly. They felt cheesy and cheap. Though I guess many people would suggest that Suits gives similar vibes yet I enjoy it.

Was coming in this thread to ask which to watch, the American version or the original. 'Either' of the remakes? There is a third?

There's The Tunnel, which is the England-France version, though I think it's generally regarded as the worst of the three.

Has anybody checked out the new lot of Amazon pilots yet?

Heard good stuff about Mozart In The Jungle and in particular Bosch.

Almost finished Spartacus, it was an entertaining watch even though season 3 was a little bit of a disappointment for me. Still enjoyable though.

I'm going to give Banshee a go, heard a lot of positive reviews. If I wanted to look into a sitcom, is Modern Family any good?

Almost finished Spartacus, it was an entertaining watch even though season 3 was a little bit of a disappointment for me. Still enjoyable though.

I'm going to give Banshee a go, heard a lot of positive reviews. If I wanted to look into a sitcom, is Modern Family any good?
Banshee is good fun, total roadhouse TV but enjoyable. Have you tried the American version of Shameless? It's excellent.

First two seasons of Modern Family are great but the formulaic approach gets repetitive after that and a lot of the characters lose their comical appeal. Worth a watch though for sure.

I started watching It's always sunny in Philadelphia this week (I know I'm late). I just hope they managed to keep this level for a couple of seasons.
I never quite managed to get into it. I didn't think it was bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I just didn't connect with it, without particularly being able to say why. I think I gave up about half way through season 2. It has a bit of a cult following I have the impression though.
Banshee is good fun, total roadhouse TV but enjoyable. Have you tried the American version of Shameless? It's excellent.

First two seasons of Modern Family are great but the formulaic approach gets repetitive after that and a lot of the characters lose their comical appeal. Worth a watch though for sure.
Yeah Banshee looks like brainless fun, but loads of nudity again, right? Spartacus has been difficult to watch because of this, just recently there was a nude scene between Ganicus and his girlfriend, completely out of the blue, I wasn't tilting my phone or anything so my neighbor in the metro saw it... and it turned out it was one of my work colleagues. :lol:

Haven't seen any version of Shameless, is it the show with William H. Macy? Given you're recommending it and you're perverted, I guess there's loads of nudity once again!

I never quite managed to get into it. I didn't think it was bad by any stretch of the imagination, but I just didn't connect with it, without particularly being able to say why. I think I gave up about half way through season 2. It has a bit of a cult following I have the impression though.

Yeah Banshee looks like brainless fun, but loads of nudity again, right? Spartacus has been difficult to watch because of this, just recently there was a nude scene between Ganicus and his girlfriend, completely out of the blue, I wasn't tilting my phone or anything so my neighbor in the metro saw it... and it turned out it was one of my work colleagues. :lol:

Haven't seen any version of Shameless, is it the show with William H. Macy? Given you're recommending it and you're perverted, I guess there's loads of nudity once again!
Loads of nudity in both, yes!

Aye, that's the one, and Emmy Rossum (very nudey rudey in it). First season is good but it really kicks off in the second season, very dark but comical too.

Gwendoline Taylor :drool:

I actually had the same now with The Office (US, I know I am late there too). I found it kind of boring and unfunny and was hoping it would get better, I stopped at some point during the second season now.

It's a comedy show with a non-linear storyline, what exactly is there to get into?
Well it's comedy and I never found it that funny. I didn't really like the characters either. What I meant by 'not getting into it' is that sometimes you start a sitcom and you're just taken by it and watch episode after episode because you enjoy the characters, the situation, you laugh a lot, etc. In this case, I really wanted to give it a go cos I'd heard a lot of good stuff about it, but found it hard to watch and as I said gave up after less than a couple of seasons.

But it wasn't all bad, just after it I started The West Wing :drool: