Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Carnivale was awesome, a culto show for the future... i hope that if they do an ending some day, dont feck it up.

If you guys like HBO quality, take a look at "Prófugos"... pretty good so far, im on episode 7 or 8 of the first season already and i have to say i have been entertained by this show. The cinematography is awesome. The shootings scenes can be a "bit" exagerated but feck it.

Season 2 starts next sunday so its a good time for a first season marathon

Season 3 of Carnivale was meant to take place several years ahead of the second so you never know.

By the way, how fecking creepy was Apollonia in this show? :eek: They absolutely nailed that.

So, my misses has been saying recently how everybody at her office is mad on Fringe.. she wants to watch it, it doesn't seem her thing but whatever.

What do we think of it on here?

I've seen bits of it before, and it just seemed okay, pretty average - I'm not huge on aliens and shit when it comes to TV dramas, I'm right in thinking that's what it's like?

Also, what do we think of Supernatural? Watched the first 3 episodes a few years back - it seemed pretty good, but again, nothing particularly great.

Fringe has 100 episodes and Supernatural 175 - I don't want to get into either if they're not worth the effort..

Supernatural apparently takes a while to get going and I lost interest very quickly. Fringe on the other hand starts off pretty well and gets worse as things go on...depends on what you're up for. Fringe looked better to me even if it lost its way reasonably quickly. John Noble's great in it.

Supernatural apparently takes a while to get going and I lost interest very quickly. Fringe on the other hand starts off pretty well and gets worse as things go on...depends on what you're up for. Fringe looked better to me even if it lost its way reasonably quickly. John Noble's great in it.

Thanks.
How quickly did it lose it's way?

I watched about half the first season (of Fringe) and a few episodes later on and thought some of the concepts probably deserved a better show. The mad scientist guy was really good but I wasn't that taken with it.

I don't agree with what's been said above about Fringe. Season 1 is okay and takes its time to present the main characters and the big storyline, but most episodes and just standalone episodes. Season 2 is when it really kicks off, and that one and Season 3 are excellent. Season 4 is still very good (just a notch under), and season 5, while not being as great as it should've been for a final season, did well to tie it all together.

Its strength is that it has strong characters and especially John Noble as said above, and if you have at least a small penchant for sci-fi you should enjoy it. It's a show that has a lot of heart I feel, its characters are at its core, and the main storyline is fairly enjoyable. The show has some truly excellent episodes along the way as well.

Can't compare it to Supernatural as I haven't seen that, but I'd definitely recommend it, it's a very enjoyable TV show.

And to answer Schwein's question at the end of the previous page: I'd recommend 24 if you're looking for a fast-paced action-driven fun show. It has cliffhangers galore, virtually no character development apart for Jack Bauer, and ultimately it gets a bit silly by repeating the same story arcs. Nonetheless it's a guilty pleasure show and there are some really great moments along the way as well, if you get into it you'll quickly be hooked. It's a shame you know the ending of season 1, but it shouldn't necessarily ruin it for you. Definitely give it a try.

Thanks.
How quickly did it lose it's way?

Probably about halfway through the third season. Can't really remember. I just remember this "storyline" leading to some of the most excruciating acting performances I've ever seen in a "good" tv show.

In fairness, the acting throughout from pretty much everyone besides John Noble is unbelievably wooden. It's still kind of interesting in spite of that. Not something I'd personally recommend but it's not bad by any means. Basically I disagree with everything RiP's saying about it. The main character's aren't that interesting; the relationship between the two is very dull, their storyline's are fairly one-dimensional, the lab assistant is the kind of throwaway character you'd find in a mediocre police drama and John Noble is the only thing tying things together.

Certain aspects down the road of Fringe made me lose aspects. I liked it more as the JJ Abram's version of X-Files than what it became, that is episodes that you could watch on their own without any information previously needed to be seen and all that tied them together was a vague story from Olivia (like Mulder and his sister) and the mystery of the mad professor (kind of like how little we knew about Scully). A nice sci-fi homage to X-Files.

Hmm, thanks for the input guys.

I'm not a huge fan of procedural dramas unless they have a strong lead character.. I dunno, from the bits I've seen, I dunno if I can get behind the cast enough to make it work.

Certain aspects down the road of Fringe made me lose aspects. I liked it more as the JJ Abram's version of X-Files than what it became, that is episodes that you could watch on their own without any information previously needed to be seen and all that tied them together was a vague story from Olivia (like Mulder and his sister) and the mystery of the mad professor (kind of like how little we knew about Scully). A nice sci-fi homage to X-Files.
Yeah, you mean "monster of the week" episodes. I understand, they're easy to watch, but I thought the main storyline of Fringe that was letter developed was pretty engrossing and I really looked forward to new episodes. Don't really know what to tell you Alock, how much have you seen so far?

I need something to fill the Breaking Bad gap in my life.

Preferably something on Netflix.

Recommendations please.

It gets worse unfortunately, though it's still good.

Wire and Mad Men are both very good shows for those who need something, but both pretty slow. Mad Men is more about the dialogue and characters, not a great deal happens and it's incredibly slow.

The Wire in itself is nothing particularly different or special for me, but as a whole it's incredibly solid. It's very gritty, realistic and you feel like you'd be reading an actual true crime novel - as opposed to the usual soap dramas with crime shows or the crime series that isn't grounded in reality.

Homeland is good for those who haven't yet seen it - though season 2 doesn't reach the heights of season 1, with a promising start to season 3 this might be the perfect time to try it out.

Personally, Sopranos is the only other show that reaches heights to match Breaking Bad - if you haven't yet seen it, watch it. It's different, the tension and drama aren't quite as bad as Breaking Bad (although, when it first came out, perhaps they were) but in terms of character development and dialogue then nothing beats it for me.

If you're interested in period dramas, my first shout would be Deadwood - it's awesome. Cowboys n tings innit. Rome is also awesome, and Boardwalk Empire is decent enough though dips in quality and can sometimes feel a chore to watch.

Game of Thrones - personally I think it's a little over rated - it's not at the standard of the top shows we've seen (Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos) but not far off - and much better than any other fantasy show out there.

House of Cards - more politics than action, more dialogue and character interactions than action scenes. It's decent, but another slow burner..

If you're a fan of detective Holmes then try out BBC's Sherlock - very good fun, 6 episodes of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman awesomeness. Each episode is 1.5hrs long mind.

For easier watches, I'd recommend watching Justified, Dexter, Walking Dead, Vikings, Prison Break and Luther - none of them are incredible, but all good watches I'd find even if quality can dip depending on how far into each show you are.

My favourite show at the moment is probably Suits though - it's a cool legal drama with great fun dialogue and characters. Seriously, check it out - if you are a fan of legal dramas or not, try it.

The Returned (Les Revenants) or Carnivale?

Wire and Mad Men are both very good shows for those who need something, but both pretty slow. Mad Men is more about the dialogue and characters, not a great deal happens and it's incredibly slow.

The Wire in itself is nothing particularly different or special for me, but as a whole it's incredibly solid. It's very gritty, realistic and you feel like you'd be reading an actual true crime novel - as opposed to the usual soap dramas with crime shows or the crime series that isn't grounded in reality.

Homeland is good for those who haven't yet seen it - though season 2 doesn't reach the heights of season 1, with a promising start to season 3 this might be the perfect time to try it out.

Personally, Sopranos is the only other show that reaches heights to match Breaking Bad - if you haven't yet seen it, watch it. It's different, the tension and drama aren't quite as bad as Breaking Bad (although, when it first came out, perhaps they were) but in terms of character development and dialogue then nothing beats it for me.

If you're interested in period dramas, my first shout would be Deadwood - it's awesome. Cowboys n tings innit. Rome is also awesome, and Boardwalk Empire is decent enough though dips in quality and can sometimes feel a chore to watch.

Game of Thrones - personally I think it's a little over rated - it's not at the standard of the top shows we've seen (Wire, Breaking Bad, Sopranos) but not far off - and much better than any other fantasy show out there.

House of Cards - more politics than action, more dialogue and character interactions than action scenes. It's decent, but another slow burner..

If you're a fan of detective Holmes then try out BBC's Sherlock - very good fun, 6 episodes of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman awesomeness. Each episode is 1.5hrs long mind.

For easier watches, I'd recommend watching Justified, Dexter, Walking Dead, Vikings, Prison Break and Luther - none of them are incredible, but all good watches I'd find even if quality can dip depending on how far into each show you are.

My favourite show at the moment is probably Suits though - it's a cool legal drama with great fun dialogue and characters. Seriously, check it out - if you are a fan of legal dramas or not, try it.

Nicely done, appreciated.

I saw an add for a new show last night that's starting Friday on Sky, The Blacklist. The trailor for the pilot looked ok and it's got some decent reviews on imdb.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2741602/

Former government agent Raymond "Red" Reddington (James Spader) has eluded capture for decades. But he suddenly surrenders to the FBI with an offer to help catch a terrorist under the condition that he speaks only to Elizabeth "Liz" Keen (Megan Boone), a young FBI profiler who's just barely out of Quantico. Written by NBC

Thanks for that:)

Is House MD worth a watch?

Did anyone watch the first episode of Hello Ladies? It was good, I had few laugh out loud moments.

I'd like to point out that this is massively underrating The Wire in every possible way.

Thanks for that:)

Hugh Laurie is an utter genius, him alone is worth watching the entire series.

To sum up whether to watch it or not: Fantastic first couple of seasons, they change it up a little after that which isn't as good but you deal with it, and kind of stays at a good level which never recovers the quality of the beginning seasons. It has fantastic finale episodes though.

But I should reiterate: Hugh Laurie is on a par with Bryan Cranston in terms of Acting masterclass, a brilliant character.

I'd like to point out that this is massively underrating The Wire in every possible way.

I later on acknowledged it was brilliant.. what I meant was, Breaking Bad you might want to watch for the tension, Walking Dead for the action, Sopranos for the characters - with the Wire, nothing is particularly special except it's ability to stay grounded, not try to do things crazy or whatever.. it's a slow burner, but it watches like you'd read a novel.

Of course, it's great.. although I think both Breaking Bad and Sopranos are both better, but it's definitely up there next to them.

Also, what do we think of Supernatural? Watched the first 3 episodes a few years back - it seemed pretty good, but again, nothing particularly great.

Fringe has 100 episodes and Supernatural 175 - I don't want to get into either if they're not worth the effort..
Depends on what you like of course, but I find Supernatural pretty decent. It's not among my favourites at all, but it's a solid watch. The story line takes quite a while to get going - a lot of the initial episodes have very little story and is just "monster of the week" kind of episodes (they go somewhere, find out what the problem is and deal with), which gets a bit boring for me. It picks up towards the end of the first season (if I remember correctly) and goes on from there. Don't expect a flawless show with a realistic plot though, because then you'll be utterly disappointed. If you're just in for some entertainment and have an open mind towards the - from time to time - rather insane plotlines (it's about demons and such, as you might know - but that's far from the weirdest parts of the show) it's a good show, and actually quite funny. It's one of the shows I really look forward to, even though I'd rank it quite a way down the list of "best TV shows" - if that makes any sort of sense.

Absolutely, it's a great show. Hugh Laurie does an incredible job - he's reason enough to watch it.

I later on acknowledged it was brilliant.. what I meant was, Breaking Bad you might want to watch for the tension, Walking Dead for the action, Sopranos for the characters - with the Wire, nothing is particularly special except it's ability to stay grounded, not try to do things crazy or whatever.. it's a slow burner, but it watches like you'd read a novel.

Of course, it's great.. although I think both Breaking Bad and Sopranos are both better, but it's definitely up there next to them.

It was more so the "nothing special" bit. It's a very special and unique show and probably something we'll never see on TV again because it's not the sort of show that can pull in viewers.

Maybe I used a wrong word. Id highly recommend it to clarify.

Gonna need to make a decision on Carnivale or The Returned next.. come on people. Unless there is something better I havent already mentioned (might have watched it but maybe not).

It's not airing in France until 2014, which probably means 2015 for subtitles, therefore I have no choice but to learn French fully in the next five months.

Has The Shield not been mentioned? Well worth it. I thought it was the best cop show, until I watched The Wire.

Sons of Anarchy, despite a season 3 dip, is a great watch.

American Horror Story may not be to everybody's taste, but it was right up my street.

I have a deal with my missus, I'll watch The Killing and The Bridge if she watches Breaking Bad. I just put it on her hard drive, so I know what I'll be watching next.