Television Anyone recommend me any TV Shows?

Justified is silly but fun. There are dozens of shows in between it and Breaking Bad that you'd be better off watching first.

Yeah, my guess is that I've seen the vast majority of them unfortunately. I got a tad bored of Mad Men although I'll inevitably go back and watch it eventually. There are a few I've tried which were decent but didn't really hook me like Damages and Fringe. I've seen most of the usual culrpits like Sopranos, the Wire, Dexter, Weeds, Lost, Prison Break etc.

I've seen a few references to it while skimming this thread, but is Justified worth watching? I mean, everything is going to seem inferior to Breaking bad which is why I've been (re)watching mostly comedies, but I feel like trying to get into a new show now.

Suits!

I think Justified is good.. definitely entertaining enough. Not very thought-provoking or anything though - not that many (if any) tv is.

The Bridge has been pretty good so far, IMO

Do the characters mostly play it safe for 90 minutes, with boring dialogue and no real story telling - with critics citing it as a thing of beauty, before the star character does something crazy good giving the impression the show was far better than it was in reality?

Looking for a new one as well cartards :Drool: no soppy love crap or comedies... prefer the historical ones in older times but open for any suggestions... Some I have seen and enjoyed so far: Suits, Spartacus, The Walking Dead (earlier was better), Game of THrones and I started watching Phoneshop and Youngers as two E4 one's that I find quite funny..

Waiting for the next series of Top boy to come out also..

Looking for a new one as well cartards :Drool: no soppy love crap or comedies... prefer the historical ones in older times but open for any suggestions... Some I have seen and enjoyed so far: Suits, Spartacus, The Walking Dead (earlier was better), Game of THrones and I started watching Phoneshop and Youngers as two E4 one's that I find quite funny..

Period dramas?

Deadwood, Rome, Boardwalk Empire - in that order.

Rome I have seen and liked, boardwalk Empire, I didn't get into after the first few, so will look up deadwood.. thanks for the recommendation :)

Boardwalk Empire I found to be pretty slow and quite boring too at the start, but it grew on me, but definitely over rated.

Deadwood is one of the best shows I've seen.

Boardwalk Empire I found to be pretty slow and quite boring too at the start, but it grew on me, but definitely over rated.

Never seen Deadwood. I'll see that and Suits, which I've started yesterday, after finishing House of Lies. Don Cheaddle is fecking awesome, and overall the show is very, very good. Allison Brie :drool:

Do the characters mostly play it safe for 90 minutes, with boring dialogue and no real story telling - with critics citing it as a thing of beauty, before the star character does something crazy good giving the impression the show was far better than it was in reality?

60 min show. Wouldn't describe it as boring dialogue, reminds me of Justified's approach in that regard - not totally Elmore Leonard but feels authentic. Ensemble cast with no real stars carrying the role of central protagonist, IMO - so it feels balanced rather than a star vehicle.

I'm watching Carnivale now which is set in the 1920s if that's far back enough in history for you. It's an excellent series so far, I wish everything was this good.

Would be absolutely tearing my hair out watching it week by week, mind you. The development of the plot in the first season is extremely gradual, and there are things even from the first episode that I don't yet know the answer to.

Carnivale is an amazing series, damn shame it ended abruptly after the 2nd season

I've a feeling it can't possibly end up explaining everything properly and that it'll leave a hole in my life where the rest of it should've been. :(

Clancy Brown is quality as Brother Justin. Funny to think that this guy was once the prison guard out of Shawshank Redemption, he's so different.

House of Cards and House of Lies. Have you seen Shameless (US)?

Appreciated, just looked it up and it doesn't grab me immediately but its clear to see that it's rated by the mass, I'll definitely give it a go, thanks.

I'm watching Carnivale now which is set in the 1920s if that's far back enough in history for you. It's an excellent series so far, I wish everything was this good.

Would be absolutely tearing my hair out watching it week after week, mind you. The development of the plot in the first season is extremely gradual, and there are things even from the first episode that I don't yet know the answer to.

That sounded really good, I love the 'thinking' ones where it all starts to tie... but a few posts after someone revealed it ended after season 2 which kind of put me off wanting to get into something (That is best when at length) that has been cut short... But thanks mate... FWIW, Suits is brilliant, I think you'll enjoy it.
House of Cards and House of Lies. Have you seen Shameless (US)?

I have seen Shameless (UK) I think.... with Frank Gallagher? Not my sort of thing at all actually...

House of Cards and House of lies, I haven't actually heard of either so I'll grab a pilot episode of both and see what I think, thanks again lads

I have seen Shameless (UK) I think.... with Frank Gallagher? Not my sort of thing at all actually...

House of Cards and House of lies, I haven't actually heard of either so I'll grab a pilot episode of both and see what I think, thanks again lads

Shameless US is much better. Can't recomend enough.

House of Cards is brilliant, was on Netflix, with Kevin Spacey as a politician. Beast as usual.

House of Lies is about a group, mainly the "mad genius" Don Cheaddle, of Management Consultants in LA. I really liked it, great show.

Shameless US is much better. Can't recomend enough.

House of Cards is brilliant, was on Netflix, with Kevin Spacey as a politician. Beast as usual.

House of Lies is about a group, mainly the "mad genius" Don Cheaddle, of Management Consultants in LA. I really liked it, great show.

I'll definitely give the last two a try, and I'll look into Shameless US, it'd be nice to have a good comedy series, personally haven't seen any for a good while...

I've a feeling it can't possibly end up explaining everything properly and that it'll leave a hole in my life where the rest of it should've been. :(

Byron Hadley is quality as Brother Justin. Funny to think that this guy was once the prison guard out of Shawshank Redemption, he's so different.

Holes will be left but gotta say it's still a worthwhile experience and it does end off better than many series that are cut short

There are so many great performances for me in the show, perhaps the strongest set of characters for a series I've ever seen

Orphan Black, Broadchurch, Haven or Top of the Lake?

Need to start one of these tonight with the misses, need some ideas.

Not particularly interested in any of them, so if you have a better suggestion then give it to me.

Only recently watched The Thick of It but it was absolutely hilarious. Malcolm :lol:
I loved it! I thought the final season really elevated the show with the hearings and everything, and Malcolm's character is just fecking brilliant.

I like the sound of House of Lies, how many seasons are there?

Definitely give House of Cards a watch Jaybezia, it's excellent.

Just finished watching the first season of Dexter. fecking brilliant! Can't wait to get started on the 2nd one

What do people think of Person of Interest?

I watched the first episode ages ago, remember thinking it was ok/decent but nothing great.. At the time I didn't carry on because I had lots of stuff with better ratings on meta/imdb but starting to run out now.

Appreciated, just looked it up and it doesn't grab me immediately but its clear to see that it's rated by the mass, I'll definitely give it a go, thanks.

That sounded really good, I love the 'thinking' ones where it all starts to tie... but a few posts after someone revealed it ended after season 2 which kind of put me off wanting to get into something (That is best when at length) that has been cut short... But thanks mate... FWIW, Suits is brilliant, I think you'll enjoy it.

No problem. :D I'll put it on the list, along with Spartacus, Game of Thrones, Oz, Mad Men, The West Wing, etc... Got a lot of stuff to get through!

Would definitely recommend Carnivale despite its length. I've absolutely blitzed through it and have only got 7 episodes to go, but even though it's short it's been a great watch. Similar in quality to Deadwood, I'd say.

Holes will be left but gotta say it's still a worthwhile experience and it does end off better than many series that are cut short

There are so many great performances for me in the show, perhaps the strongest set of characters for a series I've ever seen

Yeah, strong performances across the board. These HBO shows really are fantastic... turns you into a right TV snob watching them, though.

Are there any good horror shows? I seen American Horror Story and Masters of Horror. I might have seen one or two more but I would love something else like AHS...

Finished Carnivale...feck that for an ending.

Gripes:

Sub plots were often completely unrelated and perhaps a little soap opera-ish at times. Still good television but a bit too far removed from Ben's arc, in my opinion.
There needed to be better links between Hawkins and the rest of the people at the carnival to make the most of the revelations at the end.
Some bits in the second season seemed slightly forced and rushed, understandably so given that it was cut from 16 to 12 episodes. I'm thinking things like Jonesy going along with Hawkins...that was a bit weird.
That's just me judging it by a very high standard though. Excellent show and it's very annoying that it was cut short.

Finished Carnivale...feck that for an ending.

Gripes:

Sub plots were often completely unrelated and perhaps a little soap opera-ish at times. Still good television but a bit too far removed from Ben's arc, in my opinion.
There needed to be better links between Hawkins and the rest of the people at the carnival.
Some bits in the second season seemed slightly forced and rushed, understandably so given that it was cut from 16 to 12 episodes.
That's just me judging it by a very high standard though. Excellent show and it's very annoying that it was cut short.

Now you've finished it, how annoying is it that it cuts off?

Incredibly annoying, but still a show easily worth watching?

I've seen some stuff which ends prematurely but managers to mostly tie things up or atleast the main plots even if the characters go on without their story being finished. The problem is, it's clearly thought-provoking - am I going to be sat there thinking about it, without ever getting an answer, making the whole thought-provoking pointless?

I'm watching a 3 part documentary on BBC4 at the moment called Ancient Greece: The Greatest Show on Earth.

The presenter never gets on a horse, consults Cambridge professors rather than his milkman, isn't filmed taking 5 minutes to climb a terrifying mountain trail, and then spending 20 seconds talking to someone about Greece.

It's wonderful.

(If you like Ancient Greece)

Now you've finished it, how annoying is it that it cuts off?

Incredibly annoying, but still a show easily worth watching?

I've seen some stuff which ends prematurely but managers to mostly tie things up or atleast the main plots even if the characters go on without their story being finished. The problem is, it's clearly thought-provoking - am I going to be sat there thinking about it, without ever getting an answer, making the whole thought-provoking pointless?

It's definitely worth watching but they've dangled great big plotlines in front of the audience that we'll just never the see resolution of. The last episode did go some way to clearing up something fairly significant, but it really opened up an entirely different plot in doing so!

Pretty damn annoying basically, though a lot of the mystery is gone by the end of the show in fairness. That was a big part of Carnivale so there's no guarantee it would've continued at the same standard, with there being more of a need to push the plot in other directions than to explain the mythology of the show. The plot already accelerates quite dramatically after the first season, but it's built on top of a whole chain of wtf that isn't really there to the same extent by the end. Season 2 is like a reaction to the first season in a way, where as in season 3 they'd have to perhaps be a little careful in terms of how they proceeded so as to not drag out older issues too much in leading up to a new climax.

There is a sense of closure though like I say. The course has generally been set now and it's more a case of unresolved plotlines than unanswered questions. Some questions are still there but they'd have to start asking a shit load more to rival what was going on in the first season.

Carnivale was awesome, a culto show for the future... i hope that if they do an ending some day, dont feck it up.

If you guys like HBO quality, take a look at "Prófugos"... pretty good so far, im on episode 7 or 8 of the first season already and i have to say i have been entertained by this show. The cinematography is awesome. The shootings scenes can be a "bit" exagerated but feck it.

Season 2 starts next sunday so its a good time for a first season marathon

Magic City

Not too bad. I didnt like it at the beginning but starts getting better... 2 season so far, 8 episodes each.

Some of the most beautiful naked girls you will see on TV... i promise.

Is 24 any good or is it all hype? I know the BIG twist of season 1, which I read by accident, will that ruin my viewing if I start now?