Antony dos Santos (Out)

Cool, glad to hear that you're certain that none of our other wingers are going to pick up an injury. I wish I shared your confidence. I suppose as a club we've been famously injury free in recent years, so there's always that..............

There's a meaningful chance that a injury, appalling loss of form or some other black swan type event takes out Garnacho, Rashford or Amad, maybe more than one, and we have to play Antony as a first choice player for months. It also provides competition for places.

You don't keep rubbish players just in case there's an injury crisis. Terrible method of squad building.

Something we've done over the last 10 years and paid a heavy price for.

If there's an opportunity to move him ln you snatch at it.

We can't score goals as is.

I don't think dropping in all likelihood Amad or Garnacho helps with that.

If Antony was to ever be of any use it'd be if he tried to make himself a press machine like Mount.
Press machine? He can't stay available for more than 3 games in a row, having had about 9 or 10 separate injuries ranging from niggle to decent chunk in just 14 months here.

Feel like the only way we get the best out of him is if the fans get behind him.

Our fans are wankers though.

Wish I could get paid millions of pounds a year and only perform when I receive enough backing

Feel like the only way we get the best out of him is if the fans get behind him.

This is the same forum where only 4 months ago I saw posters criticising our fans for not booing our players after the 4-0 loss to Palace. The caf is a strange place sometimes.

This is the same forum where only 4 months ago I saw posters criticising our fans for not booing our players after the 4-0 loss to Palace. The caf is a strange place sometimes.

There is a fairly vocal section on here (and twitter, reddit, etc.) that have convinced themselves that the only proper way to support the team is to boo them every single week until the manager is sacked and/or their least favourite players are permanently dropped.

Anyone who attends a match and tries to have a good time by singing a song is actually a traitor to the club.

Something, something, erosion of standards.

The hate against him is stupid and unfair.

He is a 10-15 million footballer.

So not his fault that the club bought him for 85 million.

I answered this earlier in the thread but I'll quote myself below again. He's the first sub I've ever seen stand still the entire time.
Interesting. I still don't get why we didn't use our last sub. If it wasn't going to be Antony, could've been Wheatley for Bruno/Mainoo to give them a bit of rest.

Agree that the hate is stupid and unfair , he has a good attitude and puts in an effort but is just so lacking in ability and pace he was never going to make it here.

That is not his fault , the fault is with those who sanctioned the move here for such an outrageous fee.

He has said in an interview that he has worked really hard on his left foot and final ball during the summer and that we will see a different Anthony this season , but hard to see him get many opportunities apart from maybe the league cup , some Europa games etc.

Last edited:
Agree that the hate is stupid and unfair , he has a good attitude and puts in an effort but is just so lacking in ability and pace he was never going to make it here.

That is not his fault , the fault is with those who sanctioned the move here for such an outrageous fee.

He ha said in an interview that he has worked really hard on his left foot and final ball during the summer and that we will see a different Anthony this season , bt hard to see him get many opportunists apart from maybe the league cup , some Europa games etc.
We’re one injury on the wing away from him being the first sub off the bench.

He has said in an interview that he has worked really hard on his left foot and final ball during the summer and that we will see a different Anthony this season , but hard to see him get many opportunities apart from maybe the league cup , some Europa games etc.
His left foot was all he used anyway!

He can really only three things well. Cut inside and either shoot or play the simple pass and he works hard.

Otherwise he’s not quick, can’t really beat a man consistently and is very predictable. On top of that he has the annoying trait that he thinks he’s much better than he actually is.

I have nothing against him but I really don’t think he’ll ever be a good performer on a consistent basis. He’s the kind of guy that has one good game and then a few stinkers offensively.

I don’t think working on his finishing and passing with the left will help him a whole lot. Decent defenders will just take that cut inside away and he’ll continue to be semi useless with his right foot.

He really has few upsides on the attacking end, he’s a Robben type player without that burst of pace and is much less talented. He’s best when United don’t have the ball, that’s pretty bad for a guy that’s supposed to play in a front three.

Hopefully I’m wrong but he hasn’t shown any improvements yet.

Last edited:

Even if we had spent £10-15m on him it would have been overpaid. He is the most useless footballer. Literally doesn’t do shit. Just tries to run down the right wing then stops, try and do some useless step over or trick, sees he can’t get past his man, gives up and then promptly play it back to the right back. Rinse and repeat. He keeps doing this so it gives the illusion he “tries”.

He is utterly useless and him thinking that he's better than he is makes it so much worse.

ETH should have been sacked just for thinking of him as someone who can make it here and as for the hate. If calling out crap footballers help the club get a sense of standards, then I'm all for it

I agree with this. Never thought I would but it's getting ridiculous now. Antony is here because we (read: the club) brought him here.

It's not his fault we were stupid enough to spend that ludicrous amount of money on him. This is by no means an endorsement of him as a footballer in any way. I still think he's crap. But he is our player for now so I hope he comes good until his contract runs out or we manage to ship him out.

People are right, it isn't his fault that people in the power positions at the club decided to push ahead with his transfer for £60m more than our own scouting/recruitment department deemed he was worth. But even at their lower valuation question marks on his ability and output would still be raised.

He may well put effort in when he is on the pitch, he tracks back just like Marcus. But he equally loses possession far too easily and offers zero in the areas that he needs to influence.

He is our version of Nicolas Pepe at Arsenal and sooner or later we are going to have to take a massive loss on him.

People are right, it isn't his fault that people in the power positions at the club decided to push ahead with his transfer for £60m more than our own scouting/recruitment department deemed he was worth. But even at their lower valuation question marks on his ability and output would still be raised.

I think that he may well put effort in when he is on the pitch, he tracks back just like Marcus. But he equally loses possession far too easily and offers zero in the areas that he needs to influence.

He is our version of Nicolas Pepe at Arsenal and sooner or later we are going to have to take a massive loss on him.
How do you know that?

He was easily a 50-60 million talent. Similar to what Richarlison and Raphinha went. We still overspent and everyone knew that at the time, but no need to exaggerate.

How do you know that?

He was easily a 50-60 million talent. Similar to what Richarlison and Raphinha went. We still overspent and everyone knew that at the time, but no need to exaggerate.
It was reported in The Athletic, but here is a story on the story: https://www.goal.com/en-gb/lists/ma...-erik-ten-hag-ajax-gbp86m/blt998ac652617b2c66

ETH gets blamed here for convincing the club to spend 80m. The fact no one said no is not really shocking but still surprising somehow.

Yeah that’s not “refusing” to warm up at all. L
Hence why I put "essentially" beforehand. If my boss tells me to do some work, and I proceed to go to my desk and spend the rest of my shift staring blankly at my locked PC, I am essentially refusing to carry out his basic instructions.

Hence why I put "essentially" beforehand. If my boss tells me to do some work, and I proceed to go to my desk and spend the rest of my shift staring blankly at my locked PC, I am essentially refusing to carry out his basic instructions.

It’s nothing like that and you’re showing a basic ignorance as to the point of moving down the line to “warm up”. Absolutely no fitness coach wants players to warm up constantly throughout the half after already going through a decent warmup at half-time. The point is basically not to be sat down in the dugout, hence why you see players every single week barely doing anything down the touch line aside from a little stretch.

What you do see however is if someone gets a knock or the manager talks one or one with a player and issues instructions for them to warm up, the resulting touch line warm up is something completely different as a player prepares him/herself to go into the fold.

But hey, it’s not like United fans to froth at the mouth over something so insignificant is it.

It’s nothing like that and you’re showing a basic ignorance as to the point of moving down the line to “warm up”. Absolutely no fitness coach wants players to warm up constantly throughout the half after already going through a decent warmup at half-time. The point is basically not to be sat down in the dugout, hence why you see players every single week barely doing anything down the touch line aside from a little stretch.

What you do see however is if someone gets a knock or the manager talks one or one with a player and issues instructions for them to warm up, the resulting touch line warm up is something completely different as a player prepares him/herself to go into the fold.

But hey, it’s not like United fans to froth at the mouth over something so insignificant is it.
While I appreciate you taking the time to patronisingly explain warm up protocol to me, it would be remiss of me not to mention that I've had the same seat at Old Trafford for over a decade in the bottom tier South Stand, so I've watched hundreds of games where the subs have briefly obstructed my view of the pitch by standing still. However, until Sunday, not once had I ever had my view obstructed by a player being motionless for the entirety of their 10-15 minute 'warm up'.

Also, it is worth noting that when we played against a Spanish team in Europe, their fitness coach went on the sidelines with the players during the second half to lead warm up exercises with them (I've since thought United should do that to help with marginal gains), and I can confirm that during the majority of that time, those players were not standing still. I reckon that La Liga fitness coach probably knows more about the most effective second-half-warm-up exercises than you do. Maybe wind your neck in before piping up and telling someone they're showing basic ignorance on a subject matter. You came across very smarmy, and ultimately, incorrect.

Last edited:
To be honest don’t even want him here as a squad option. Let him go and let’s change the formation to 343. Play two 10’s behind the striker. We’ll get more from our attacking options that way.

Slim pickings when the window is already shut...but gotta give the fake journos credit, they are still pumping out shite about United, Casemiro and Antony.

Best thing he'll have done for the club since arriving if this comes off

If you think man united fans are wankers what do you think real madrid or barcelona would do to him? I found it easy to dislike Antony, not only because hes shit but his antics rubbed some people off. Anyway ive accepted the fact that hes going to be with us this season.

What’s the point loaning him out? We’re lacking in numbers as it is, and we won’t be saving any/much in wages. All that’ll happen is he’ll stink out the Turkish league and we’ll be forced to run Garnacho into the ground again. Before doing this all again next year.

Yes I understand there were no buyers for Antony at any price, but what a shame we couldn’t have given away Antony on a free transfer and kept Pellistri.

He is utterly useless and him thinking that he's better than he is makes it so much worse.

ETH should have been sacked just for thinking of him as someone who can make it here and as for the hate. If calling out crap footballers help the club get a sense of standards, then I'm all for it
Manchester United were tracking Antony before we ever came close to hiring Ten Hag. And it has been revealed that signing Antony, in that fashion, at that price, was a panic move from the club because they thought they were brining Greenwood back into the mix and at the last second couldn't because of fan pressure.

Even if Antony was solely Ten Hag's choice, he was available for around 50 mil in June and only cost 85 mil because it was the end of Aug and Ajax had already sold off that entire winning team. Bad negotiating by Murtough isn't Ten Hag's fault.