Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: I've never disagreed with something more

Then you lead a very sheltered life, that's quite a disturbing sentence to hear.

At least give me the benefit of an insight into your thinking

Then you lead a very sheltered life, that's quite a disturbing sentence to hear.

At least give me the benefit of an insight into your thinking

:lol: Thanks for the personal comments??
Surprised people are being negative about this or even giving him grief. Think it's a very positive move and he should be commended. Didn't like the pressure associated with number 7? fair enough, good of him to notice that and do something about it. Frame of mind is so important with players, this can only be seen as a good thing

You are surprised that people are being negative over our winger giving up his number as he basically doesn't have the balls to perform while wearing it. You think it's fair enough that, while at one of the best clubs in the world, if he doesn't like the pressure? Fair enough. Good of him to notice... In fact, I'm going to inform my boss I realised you employed to do my usual duties of A,B and C, but do you know what? C is getting a bit much for me so I won't be doing it.

Frame of mind is important, you are right there. You want him in the frame of mind that says he does not have the confidence? His position, second to probably only strikers IMO need a hell of a lot of confidence as they are very 'form' players. So in short yes, I cannot agree with anything in your post, and if you really believe one of our players finding the pressure too much at our club is a good thing, I can only assume you didn't read what you even wrote.

:lol: Thanks for the personal comments??

You are surprised that people are being negative over our winger giving up his number as he basically doesn't have the balls to perform while wearing it. You think it's fair enough that, while at one of the best clubs in the world, if he doesn't like the pressure? Fair enough. Good of him to notice... In fact, I'm going to inform my boss I realised you employed to do my usual duties of A,B and C, but do you know what? C is getting a bit much for me so I won't be doing it.

Frame of mind is important, you are right there. You want him in the frame of mind that says he does not have the confidence? His position, second to probably only strikers IMO need a hell of a lot of confidence as they are very 'form' players. So in short yes, I cannot agree with anything in your post, and if you really believe one of our players finding the pressure too much at our club is a good thing, I can only assume you didn't read what you even wrote.

That still doesnt make sense, and I cannot see how you cant see that. He has already done Job 'C' as you put it, very well for two years. IF last season was his first season, and hadnt proved he could do it, then yes, i would agree with you that it doesnt look good. But he has already done his job, very well. It has nothing to do with 'balls'. It has to do with confidence, something that for every person can come from (and be removed) different sources.

Also, we dont know WHY he took No25 back, it could have just been superstition...but then that would still not go against your argument. Surely superstition is the same as not having the 'balls' yet a number of excellent players for us have had superstitions. Even if it was that he felt being put in the same bracket as Cantona, Ronaldo, Beckham etc put him off his game, who cares? Maybe he just felt he didn't deserve being pout in that bracket?

Again, he has ALREADY proven he can do the job, so your argument is redundant.

It amazes me that people who sit behind a computer screen commenting on football can 'have the balls' to judge/even have the foggiest clue what is in a players mental make up. That sort of knowledge could surely be remarkably valuable for a team like Man Utd.

That still doesnt make sense, and I cannot see how you cant see that. He has already done Job 'C' as you put it, very well for two years. IF last season was his first season, and hadnt proved he could do it, then yes, i would agree with you that it doesnt look good. But he has already done his job, very well. It has nothing to do with 'balls'. It has to do with confidence, something that for every person can come from (and be removed) different sources.

Also, we dont know WHY he took No25 back, it could have just been superstition...but then that would still not go against your argument. Surely superstition is the same as not having the 'balls' yet a number of excellent players for us have had superstitions. Even if it was that he felt being put in the same bracket as Cantona, Ronaldo, Beckham etc put him off his game, who cares? Maybe he just felt he didn't deserve being pout in that bracket?

Again, he has ALREADY proven he can do the job, so your argument is redundant.

It amazes me that people who sit behind a computer screen commenting on football can 'have the balls' to judge/even have the foggiest clue what is in a players mental make up. That sort of knowledge could surely be remarkably valuable for a team like Man Utd.

So then he can't take the pressure anymore, but it doesn't matter as he used to be able to ? :lol: And my comments are in regards to IF he gave it up based on the fact it was too much pressure, IF.

Schmeichel was apparently the most superstitious person the club has ever seen - and he would freak out if things weren't done in exactly the order he wanted it - but I don't think anyone would consider him mentally weak.

I'm not entirely sure that's relevant.

So then he can't take the pressure anymore, but it doesn't matter as he used to be able to ? :lol: And my comments are in regards to IF he gave it up based on the fact it was too much pressure, IF.

Where has that come from?

It isnt that he could one day take pressure of number 7 (which is your point) then couldnt. Its that he could play brilliantly one day then (for whatever reason) he didnt/couldnt. Not about pressure, its about ability.

Either way, its such a small thing, i don't know why it bothers you so much. Should we now sell him? because he didn't like having the number 7 shirt? What is your end game? If he can handle whatever pressure and play in any game in a 25 shirt then give him the 25 shirt and thats the end of it.

From personal experience, i have a job where confidence is incredibly important. Confidence plays an incredibly important part in situations of different pressures. I've seen it with myself and with others that if for whatever stupid reason (could be anything) your confidence has been hit, it affects your performance and limits your ability to do your job even though you could do it previously. If/when you get that confidence back (for whatever reason) you get that ability back. Its human performance - and in high pressure jobs its incredibly important, but its just as important to understand human performance and how it can be affected by anything, anytime.

From personal experience, i have a job where confidence is incredibly important. Confidence plays an incredibly important part in situations of different pressures. I've seen it with myself and with others that if for whatever stupid reason (could be anything) your confidence has been hit, it affects your performance and limits your ability to do your job even though you could do it previously. If/when you get that confidence back (for whatever reason) you get that ability back. Its human performance - and in high pressure jobs its incredibly important, but its just as important to understand human performance and how it can be affected by anything, anytime.

Are you are hooker?

Yet his 'lack of self belief' didn't seem to affect him the two seasons before when he was one of, if not or best player?

some people (not necessarily you) are far too knee jerk in this place.

However, it has seemingly affected him since then. Hence it not being discussed a few seasons ago, but now being discussed over the last year.

However, it has seemingly affected him since then. Hence it not being discussed a few seasons ago, but now being discussed over the last year.
Yeah, i get that. But surely/hopefully it wont be an issue this year. Of course if his confidence has been knocked so severely by the experience of last year that he is never able to rekindle form, then yes we have a problem. But i cant see that, a couple of good games and he'll be back. Plus a season without injuries would help

If Nani signs a contract this week, as rumours (again, just rumours) are suggesting, it means Moyes has him in his plans (unlike Fergie in his final season). If Nani is in Moyes' plans, it means he'd be a regular starter (a criteria for the #7 shirt) because he's easily the best winger (and best attacking player after Rooney & RVP) at the club when playing regularly, no exception. If he does sign a contract, I hope he gets the #7, unless a certain other Portuguese guy decides to come back! :drool:

Anyone who thinks they know anything about a player's character or frame of mind is deluded. All that stuff about Guardiola 'running away' when he took a long-scheduled year out (you know, to spend all his piles of fecking money by living it up in NYC with his family, the loon!) was ridiculous. And now Valencia is a 'coward' who 'bottled it' because of a change of shirt number.

Live in the real world a bit more, people.

Doesn't old Tony have the AV25 brand?

I've seen him wearing cpas etc with the logo.

It's probably just to push the brand more than anything else.

Where has that come from?

It isnt that he could one day take pressure of number 7 (which is your point) then couldnt. Its that he could play brilliantly one day then (for whatever reason) he didnt/couldnt. Not about pressure, its about ability.

Either way, its such a small thing, i don't know why it bothers you so much. Should we now sell him? because he didn't like having the number 7 shirt? What is your end game? If he can handle whatever pressure and play in any game in a 25 shirt then give him the 25 shirt and thats the end of it.

As seen in any Tom Cruise film ever.

If Nani signs a contract this week, as rumours (again, just rumours) are suggesting, it means Moyes has him in his plans (unlike Fergie in his final season). If Nani is in Moyes' plans, it means he'd be a regular starter (a criteria for the #7 shirt) because he's easily the best winger (and best attacking player after Rooney & RVP) at the club when playing regularly, no exception. If he does sign a contract, I hope he gets the #7, unless a certain other Portuguese guy decides to come back! :drool:

Nani has spoken countless times about not wanting to be seen as the next Ronaldo - he wants his own identity.

I don't think taking Ronaldo's number would really help that.

Plus I would have thought most players would like to wear the same number for club and country...think he might find it tough to have the Portugal #7 shirt!

Some interesting bits in Tim Vicker's article on the BBC

Antonio Valencia has been turned into a winger in English football, but this was not his original position. He came through as more of a central midfielder. If he used to operate on the right for the national team, it was with full-back Ulises De La Cruz overlapping on the outside, allowing Valencia to cut in towards goal and unleash his booming shots.

On Ecuador's 2-4 loss to Germany:

The final score was 4-2, though Ecuador had enough chances to have won, and Loew confessed he had been frightened by the individual ability of the South Americans.
Valencia scored one, had plenty of shots saved, orchestrated the play from the centre of the field and also helped tighten up the team with his physical presence and defensive awareness.

The superstitious amongst us will understand. I once splashed out on a fancy new tie (Paul Smith no less) to wear to court. I lost every damned motion I made when wearing it, and was overruled on damned near every objection. I began to associate the tie with a run of bad luck and when I finally gave it away, I was back to winning ways. Once something is tagged as "unlucky" that's it: it rarely if ever changes it's status, no matter what ritual is performed. Maybe that's how Tony sees the number 7 shirt. If so, I don't blame him for ditching it. The Gremlins have taken possession of it.

The superstitious amongst us will understand. I once splashed out on a fancy new tie (Paul Smith no less) to wear to court. I lost every damned motion I made when wearing it, and was overruled on damned near every objection. I began to associate the tie with a run of bad luck and when I finally gave it away, I was back to winning ways. Once something is tagged as "unlucky" that's it: it rarely if ever changes it's status, no matter what ritual is performed. Maybe that's how Tony sees the number 7 shirt. If so, I don't blame him for ditching it. The Gremlins have taken possession of it.

Veiled attempt at letting us know you're a lawyer.

Its nice to know you tied up your cases after that ordeal.

Anyone who thinks they know anything about a player's character or frame of mind is deluded. All that stuff about Guardiola 'running away' when he took a long-scheduled year out (you know, to spend all his piles of fecking money by living it up in NYC with his family, the loon!) was ridiculous. And now Valencia is a 'coward' who 'bottled it' because of a change of shirt number.

Live in the real world a bit more, people.

He's a pussy, deal with it.

As good and enjoyable as your post was, no-one is tagging him as unlucky and he'd be foolish to tag himself as unlucky - that's a slippery slope for a professional footballer. However I agree regarding the Gremlins.

Let's not forget that we're talking about a man who ate toothpaste to become a better footballer. That seemed to have worked for him, so why not this? Leave the lovable chap alone, meanies.

I have it on good authority that Phil Neville is coming out of retirement and will take over the no. 7 shirt. Phil will line up next to Carrick against Swansea because of United's failure to buy a midfielder.

Who says it was pressure?. Perhaps he just thinks number 7 is shit and prefers number 25.

I'm sure I'll get laughed at, but I'd love the number to go to Januzaj.

:lol:

Love the kid, seems like he'll do well here, but no. Not until he's playing regularly.

Why not, Ronaldo was given it at 18, if he's in Moyes's plans then I'd give it to him as an incentive to work even harder.

Januzaj would get No.9 if he's promoted any time soon I reckon.

As for Valencia, I've always thought he could do a job a bit deeper in the centre of midfield, but when he's on form down that wing he's as good an old fashioned winger as anyone. I don't think he's going to be shifted from that position. In regards to the shirt change, I do find it a little strange and it makes me think the Ronaldo signing is at least possible.

Owen getting it was and off choice. Would have been funnier if Obertan ended up with it that summer.

I don't really care about the number though. Traditionally it is a right wingers squad number, so it was fitting that Valencia got it. I think Valencia's 25 shirt looks better though. If Zaha is to play RW, maybe he should get it, and Welbeck get the 9.

Owen getting it was and off choice. Would have been funnier if Obertan ended up with it that summer.

I don't really care about the number though. Traditionally it is a right wingers squad number, so it was fitting that Valencia got it. I think Valencia's 25 shirt looks better though. If Zaha is to play RW, maybe he should get it, and Welbeck get the 9.

Welbeck more than deserves number 9, but perhaps he is going to make 19 into his own, like Yorke did.

Traditionally maybe, but then we had the likes of Cantona and Robson with that number.

Status
Not open for further replies.