Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
If this genuinely is nothing to do with muppety transfer conspiracies, I'd find it incredibly worrying that a Manchester United player considers himself not mentally up to the pressure of wearing a certain number.

id say its more to do with him being superstitious about the number 25 being lucky for him than the number 7 being a problem. like a pair of lucky socks doesnt make all other socks the problem, just that theyre special.

I'm very worried and disappointed with Valencia by this.

He's becoming a huge prima donna, who's more concerned with his AV25 brand and being in the limelight than actually playing football.

I'm sure the guy has a lot more on his mind, especially given one of his closest friends died last week.

The decision to alter the pattern of cloth on the back of his shirt means little in of itself, but it bodes badly for other, more high pressure situations he'll have to deal with semi regularly as a consequence of being a Manchester United player, playing in big matches with big stakes, if he genuinely thinks he will or has been effected by it.

To me at least. It's not something you'd associate with a great player, or one intent on forging their name in history. Obviously not every team needs to be full of these types of players. But it's at least a semblance of the attitude I'd expect from a Manchester United first team winger.

It's all very well being a nice guy. He can be a nice guy at a smaller club, paying him a smaller wage to deal with smaller pressures.

Knowing Valencia, it could just as easily be that he thinks he dishonoured the shirt somehow and feels the need to prove himself again. In which case this could be a positive move.

I'm going to wait to hear what he has to say before jumping to conclusions.

The fact he chose to post a pic of his shirt on Twatter must have some relevance in all of this. Obviously he's either trolling everyone or he's particularly happy to have #25 again.

Are we on a merry-go-round, because it feels like we are going around in circles here?

So, what you are saying is that in the 70-odd years that players have worn numbers on their shirts, we have had five great players in the number 7 shirt. What about the dozens of players who could have been rated anywhere between poor to good that wore it? What about all the other clubs with great players who just happened to wear the same number on their shirt? For every Ronaldo, there's been a Clayton Blackmore, a Ralph Milne or a Michael Owen. This 'cult of the seven' thing is modern nonsense.

:lol:

Im not saying anything just that we have had more great 7's than the dippers

If there is anyone that should get it, it's nani. Our best and most talented winger by far, and has been since Ronaldo left.

In all seriousness good for him. He's had the balls to drop the number and it might reduce the pressure for himself,
And here I was thinking he should grow a pair and step up to the challenge. Anyway, if it gets him back to his best, then I'm all for it. Sadly, I don't see it happening.

If this genuinely is nothing to do with muppety transfer conspiracies, I'd find it incredibly worrying that a Manchester United player considers himself not mentally up to the pressure of wearing a certain number.

Maybe it's just a case of not being one for the limelight, like Scholes. I don't know if Valencia is a shy character, but if I were a professional footballer and had a bit of talent, I'd rather wear a modest shirt number and let people judge me on my performance rather than soak up all the attention of wearing the most glamorous shirt number in football.

It reminds me of Jason in the apprentice, handing over the Project Management to Luisa because he couldn't take it. Take it which ever way you want but if he's given up a shirt number to lessen the pressure on himself, it's hardly a sign of strength is it?

Now when Ronaldo does join, it'll be okay. But for now, 'tonio you a bitch.

The decision to alter the pattern of cloth on the back of his shirt means little in of itself, but it bodes badly for other, more high pressure situations he'll have to deal with semi regularly as a consequence of being a Manchester United player, playing in big matches with big stakes, if he genuinely thinks he will or has been effected by it.

To me at least. It's not something you'd associate with a great player, or one intent on forging their name in history. Obviously not every team needs to be full of these types of players. But it's at least a semblance of the attitude I'd expect from a Manchester United first team winger.

It's all very well being a nice guy. He can be a nice guy at a smaller club, paying him a smaller wage to deal with smaller pressures.
It could very well be superstition. Many successful people are superstitious.

It reminds me of Jason in the apprentice, handing over the Project Management to Luisa because he couldn't take it. Take it which ever way you want but if he's given up a shirt number to lessen the pressure on himself, it's hardly a sign of strength is it?

Now when Ronaldo does join, it'll be okay. But for now, 'tonio you a bitch.

Schmeichel was apparently the most superstitious person the club has ever seen - and he would freak out if things weren't done in exactly the order he wanted it - but I don't think anyone would consider him mentally weak.

Schmeichel was apparently the most superstitious person the club has ever seen - and he would freak out if things weren't done in exactly the order he wanted it - but I don't think anyone would consider him mentally weak.

Thats called OCD

:lol:

Im not saying anything just that we have had more great 7's than the dippers

Fair enough, but that's probably just a side effect of being a lot better than them in general!

I just don't like this idea that only 'special' players get to wear our number 7. When Ronaldo first wore it, he was a promising young talent. He was not an established great. Seems like some people are unwilling to give some players a chance in that shirt and heap a load of pressure on them because of the names of a handful of players who have worn it for us. I hate the idea of thinking any player who plays for us doesn't deserve the chance to wear it (even if they actually are our first choice right winger). Except for Michael Owen, like. He was shite.

All in all, this move by Valencia is just another example of superstition amongst sportsmen. Like how Paul Ince used to insist on being the last player to put his shirt on before the match.

He wasn't worthy of the shirt anyway, so its a good move - as long as we see a better Valencia that is all that matters. Can't wait to see who is going to come in to wear that shirt though.. can United afford to leave that shirt empty for a season?

He wasn't worthy of the shirt anyway, so its a good move - as long as we see a better Valencia that is all that matters. Can't wait to see who is going to come in to wear that shirt though.. can United afford to leave that shirt empty for a season?

The shirt is so iconic, it should have been left free when Owen wore it.

I don't want to draw too many conclusions. We know he can handle the pressure, as he's proven that before last season. He's played some great games against Chelsea and I thought he did well against Bayern in that unlucky QF at Old Trafford. But last season has left a bad taste and now this, it doesn't look too good. If it helps him to express himself more again on the pitch, then I'm all for it.

I don't want to draw too many conclusions. We know he can handle the pressure, as he's proven that before last season. He's played some great games against Chelsea and I thought he did well against Bayern in that unlucky QF at Old Trafford. But last season has left a bad taste and now this, it doesn't look too good. If it helps him to express himself more again on the pitch, then I'm all for it.

Sometimes it takes a season or two to recover his speed after that bad break. We all thought Stam lost a step or two after his bad injury. We were dead wrong and it should after he went to Italy.

Surprised people are being negative about this or even giving him grief. Think it's a very positive move and he should be commended. Didn't like the pressure associated with number 7? fair enough, good of him to notice that and do something about it. Frame of mind is so important with players, this can only be seen as a good thing

Surprised people are being negative about this or even giving him grief. Think it's a very positive move and he should be commended. Didn't like the pressure associated with number 7? fair enough, good of him to notice that and do something about it. Frame of mind is so important with players, this can only be seen as a good thing

I think players who are tasked with unlocking defences for us, taking risks and overall, making a difference at the sharp end of the pitch absolutely MUST have self-belief. Not feeling the pressure of the #7 shirt is in no way a positive thing. The very nature of Valencia's role in the team means he cannot simply 'go about his job quietly'. Personality and responsibility is required, otherwise, you are not up to the task at this level.

A top team should not have a key attacking player who wishes to 'hide' on the pitch.

:lol: I've never disagreed with something more

I think players who are tasked with unlocking defences for us, taking risks and overall, making a difference at the sharp end of the pitch absolutely MUST have self-belief. Not feeling the pressure of the #7 shirt is in no way a positive thing. The very nature of Valencia's role in the team means he cannot simply 'go about his job quietly'. Personality and responsibility is required, otherwise, you are not up to the task at this level.

A top team should not have a key attacking player who wishes to 'hide' on the pitch.

Yet his 'lack of self belief' didn't seem to affect him the two seasons before when he was one of, if not or best player?

some people (not necessarily you) are far too knee jerk in this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.