Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
We could've scored atleast 3 or 4 more if he wasn't playing garbage.

Somehow Valencia makes it possible to be brilliant and shit all in the same game. Amazing.

Absolutely terrible again and what makes it worse is our extensive use of the right flank. Replace him with Kagawa and shift Januzaj to the right.

He would be good for Everton....for United he is dogshit when it comes to crossing!

Absolutely terrible again and what makes it worse is our extensive use of the right flank. Replace him with Kagawa and shift Januzaj to the right.

What i want to see too. Or Nani once he's fit.

We use the right side for most of our attacks yet didn't create one good chance from there today. Sums him up.

He just can't get any consistency which isn't good enough for a first choice winger at United. After a good performance against Villa he was way off it today

If only there was some way to combine Valencia's strength and consistency in beating opponents and Nani's crossing and final ball, we'd have a fecking good player.

I always said he is a glorified right back and will never be a winger.

He probably could've taken us to 5 goals today if he wasn't so wasteful.

Has to do a lot better when given the time and space he was allowed for some of our counters.

If only he knew how to cross the ball properly.

Honestly, that should be the only thing he does in training. Just put in 100's of crosses and improve his accuracy.

If only he knew how to cross the ball properly.

Honestly, that should be the only thing he does in training. Just put in 100's of crosses and improve his accuracy.

I feel sorry for the ballboys. They'll have heartattacks chasing all those stray balls

Not a good game from him today, crossing was rubbish. On the brightside he is beating men for fun still and working well with Rafael. Hopefully we get him working hard on improving his crossing and we start to see more goals come from their work down the right, instead of just lost chances.

Ironically he's very consistent. One good game and then 4-5 completely wasteful ones. I'd afford Nani the consistent run Valencia has, with Rafael as opposed to Smalling overlapping.

It will happen every now and then, whenever he faces poor defender such is Luna who had almost no one supporting him, he will have excellent game, and people will say "he's back". Same happened against Leverkusen who had Emre Can playing at fullback(I think he is midfielder playing at fullback). I am happy with his performance yesterday, I really am, he can start every week till the rest of season if he keeps this form, but I think that as soon as he faces decent fullback, he'll return to his crap form.

But yeah, I am a Valencia hater, and Nani fanboy for stating the obvious things. If he could just have that extra bit of quality he lacks he would be cracking player, but unfortunately he isn't.

hes so frustrating. i strangely think hes been playing really well lately and did so much right today, he made bits of their left side with the help of rafael. but my god his final ball was utterly shocking. some of the decisions and then delivery of them was awful. if we could get him picking the right passes hed easily hit 20+ assists a season, i do think hes getting back to his best though.

He was getting the better of his fullback every time. His final ball massively let him down today.

Odd final word there... his final ball has been the problem for a long time. If anything, he managed a slightly higher success rate today than he has recently (apart from last Sunday). Definitely improving.

very disappointing from Tony V..as a winger you are judged by your end product, even if your approach play is promising. Does anyone think his ankle injury affects how he crosses? I cant understand his change in crossing style when before we regarded him as one of our best crossers

What a lot of you aren't accounting for is his defensive work. It's fine saying "Put Januzaj and Kagawa on the wings" and that is a good idea against certain opposition but Valencia is important for a certain type of threat and offers great natural width.

People tend to remember Giggs for his mazy runs and Beckham for his deadly set-piece speciality, but people can forget how good they were at tracking back and working hard. Valencia is the closest we have to that in that respect. Young too, for all his criticism. That's why Fergie always opted for the two of them in the big matches last season.

These managers do actually know what they are doing. They see things we don't.

What a lot of you aren't accounting for is his defensive work. It's fine saying "Put Januzaj and Kagawa on the wings" and that is a good idea against certain opposition but Valencia is important for a certain type of threat and offers great natural width.

People tend to remember Giggs for his mazy runs and Beckham for his deadly set-piece speciality, but people can forget how good they were at tracking back and working hard. Valencia is the closest we have to that in that respect. Young too, for all his criticism. That's why Fergie always opted for the two of them in the big matches last season.

To be fair the reaction is based on today. A good opportunity to bump up the GD. He wasted far too many opportunities and Matt Jarvis & McCartney were anonymous anyway because we were controlling the game. His defensive work was barely necessary especially when wasting 4 or 5 quality counter attacks. The one where he literally passed it out of play for no apparent reason was mental. No amount of work rate or sensible positioning can cover that up.

To be fair the reaction is based on today. A good opportunity to bump up the GD. He wasted far too many opportunities and Matt Jarvis & McCartney were anonymous anyway because we were controlling the game. His defensive work was barely necessary especially when wasting 4 or 5 quality counter attacks. The one where he literally passed it out of play for no apparent reason was mental. No amount of work rate or sensible positioning can cover that up.

Yes he was bad today I'll give you that. And he's had some very poor performances. I'm just talking about the guys who want him permanently dropped / sold.

He was wasteful but, that didn't bother me one bit - more importantly he has stopped playing scared and is driving defenses back. His crossing will improve as his confidence continues to grow as it has. He's never really been one like Nani to really vary his crossing, bend balls in or float them. Where he has been able to produce for us has always stemmed from being able to beat his man and/or drive defenders back being able to bring the fullback into the game - which he is doing more and more.

Look at it this way, maybe we didn't score goals but, being able to constantly drive West Ham back made sure that they were not able to cause us any problems. Jarvis has at times been quite a pain for us and Valencia's play certainly had a hand in being able to keep him from getting involved.

Thank god for this post, i'm glad somebody sees what he brings to the side. His final ball was constantly poor tonight but the fact that he had the beating of his FB all afternoon was a positive as he wasn't even doing that for most of last season. But he will always give the side balance and shape which are very good qualities to have. I'm sure Moyes will be having a word with him about the final ball as that was the only thing missing from his performance for me (albeit quite a big thing).

I think he was inconsistent today, but an off day is an off day, he did much better than Buttner.

At least he looked confident. However, his final ball was woeful. One poster had him 1st in the MOTM thread. How is that even possible?

At least he looked confident. However, his final ball was woeful. One poster had him 1st in the MOTM thread. How is that even possible?

I can understand why someone might have had him first, because he was a threat constantly with only the final ball letting him down. It's not something we can say we've enjoyed from our wing play this season.

On a different note, one thing that occurred to me is that I've noticed that when Rooney has been in this more withdrawn role and been spraying the ball around, much like when Scholes was around - Valencia has looked a lot more like his old self. Coincidence perhaps but, Valencia's dip in form coincided with the final retirement of Scholes.

I can understand why someone might have had him first, because he was a threat constantly with only the final ball letting him down. It's not something we can say we've enjoyed from our wing play this season.

On a different note, one thing that occurred to me is that I've noticed that when Rooney has been in this more withdrawn role and been spraying the ball around, much like when Scholes was around - Valencia has looked a lot more like his old self. Coincidence perhaps but, Valencia's dip in form coincided with the final retirement of Scholes.

Over Welbeck, Januzaj, Rooney, Cleverley or Jones? That doesn't make sense to me all all. Do agree about the Scholes thing (although Valencia was pretty patchy all last season, even with Scholes around.) I think we miss Scholes' skills a lot. God I miss that man!

We had several counters that he completely wasted, including the one right before their goal. So frustrating.

It's hard to think of many players with less subtlety, nuance, class, whatever… in their final ball. 8 times out of 10, the ball is overhit or smashed into the legs of the closest defender.

Status
Not open for further replies.