Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
The annoying thing is he clearly has the talent to do this every week, it should not be a 1 off!.

His pace/stamina is absolutely frightening, he just never seems to stop running :lol:

Like other's have stated it was great to see him coming inside and playing 1'2s with Welbeck, he just looked so dangerous it was great to watch.

He must have swallowed a turbo to go with that engine he swallowed a couple of season back - he looks stronger, fitter and faster than ever before.

I've always maintained that he's a very decent passer of the ball. Yesterday, he showed that he can also create by opening up space with some incisive passing. I just hope we can see more of it as I really like the lad.

I thought he played really, really well yesterday, I just wish he'd do it on a consistent basis again, he's clearly capable.

That reminded me of Valencia at his best. Remember the Welbeck winner at the Emirates a couple of seasons ago? That sort of form is what we need from him and he's got it in his locker.

If Moyes can get Valencia back to his best he'll deserve some credit, it's fair to say. The way we set up vs Villa was spot on at least.

If we're looking to nail down regular slots in the side for stability's sake, I think it's safe to say Valencia is our best option on the right. He seems to play so much more confidently when he was a proper full back constantly overlapping to give another option. Tore Villa to shreds yesterday.

Finally watched a replay of the game, and Valencia looked like 11/12 Valencia.

Last season, and for parts of this season, he has looked void of confidence. He still is, and always will be a very one dimensional player, but his problem was that he wasn't even having a go. He was always looking to come away from goal and give the ball to someone else. On very few occasions last season did Valencia have a go at anyone. Because of his strength and acceleration, all Valencia needs to do is attack the space. 9 times out of 10, he's getting beyond the full back with the ball. He won't be outpaced, and he'll rarely be outmuscled. He just needs the guts to have a go, and not pussyfoot about on the wing. If he does that, he's useless. If he just lets loose, he'll terrorize defenders.

It's just one game, but I don't see a reason why he can't continue doing what he did. He's clearly still got the pace and burst of acceleration which makes him so threatening. Just run at them.

Finally watched a replay of the game, and Valencia looked like 11/12 Valencia.

Last season, and for parts of this season, he has looked void of confidence. He still is, and always will be a very one dimensional player, but his problem was that he wasn't even having a go. He was always looking to come away from goal and give the ball to someone else. On very few occasions last season did Valencia have a go at anyone. Because of his strength and acceleration, all Valencia needs to do is attack the space. 9 times out of 10, he's getting beyond the full back with the ball. He won't be outpaced, and he'll rarely be outmuscled. He just needs the guts to have a go, and not pussyfoot about on the wing. If he does that, he's useless. If he just lets loose, he'll terrorize defenders.

It's just one game, but I don't see a reason why he can't continue doing what he did. He's clearly still got the pace and burst of acceleration which makes him so threatening. Just run at them.

This is spot on.

His general play is very predictable, but he's almost unplayable when he uses his pace and strength to his advantage.

Noticed he wasn't afraid to use his left peg yesterday too. Now if he can maintain this form...

Every decent performance followed by "he's back!" posts, only for him to play poorly for a run of games. Yep.

It will happen every now and then, whenever he faces poor defender such is Luna who had almost no one supporting him, he will have excellent game, and people will say "he's back". Same happened against Leverkusen who had Emre Can playing at fullback(I think he is midfielder playing at fullback). I am happy with his performance yesterday, I really am, he can start every week till the rest of season if he keeps this form, but I think that as soon as he faces decent fullback, he'll return to his crap form.

It will happen every now and then, whenever he faces poor defender such is Luna who had almost no one supporting him, he will have excellent game, and people will say "he's back". Same happened against Leverkusen who had Emre Can playing at fullback(I think he is midfielder playing at fullback). I am happy with his performance yesterday, I really am, he can start every week till the rest of season if he keeps this form, but I think that as soon as he faces decent fullback, he'll return to his crap form.

Can't help but agree with this, unfortunately.

True but we've never seen him use his left foot like that. That didn't have much to do with the fullback

We also know that at his best a couple of seasons back he was absolutely destroying the best left backs around. He had Ashley Cole on his arse more than I've ever seen and did the same to almost everyone he came up against. I agree we've had a few false dawns but if that confidence comes back permanently he should be one of the first names on the team sheet.

It was so good to see him playing with confidence again. He knew he was up against a shite left side and took full advantage. He's such a different player when he knows exactly what he wants to do, and carries it out with confidence. I'd honestly forgotten what that looked like.

Antonio Valencia moments vs. Aston Villa:

Welbeck comp in an hour or so. Sorry for repetitive music, but YouTube has just unleashed false ID claims.

Typically backhanded compliments from the Nani fanbois.
It used to be funny but it's a bit pathetic these days. It's always 'he faced a poor left-back' bollocks and suddenly they (fanbois) are well aware of the qualities (or lack of) of players they see for the first time.

He links up well with Rafael, always does even if he doesn't stand out himself. I think Rafa did say himself that Valencia is his preferred partner on the right hand side. For that reason alone he has to play. Bar RvP, what we saw yesterday was probably our best eleven, wasn't it?

How aren't the Valencia fanbois sick of the same old cycle is what I want to know. He's back!.... Resorts to being shite again for the next few games. Then he's back again and ye rejoice and pat each other on the back only for another spell of mediocrity to follow. Over and over and over again. Lets wait for a consistent run of form before we get excited shall we.

How aren't the Valencia fanbois sick of the same old cycle is what I want to know. He's back!.... Resorts to being shite again for the next few games. Then he's back again and ye rejoice and pat each other on the back only for another spell of mediocrity to follow. Over and over and over again. Lets wait for a consistent run of form before we get excited shall we.
Or just comment on what we've seen rather than talking about shit full backs or previous games.

All season I've been seeing people looking for signs that he's back, that he's having good matches, even when he doesn't really. There's no need for discussions regarding yesterday because it was clear as day that he had a very good match. I just hope it lasts.

When he's at his best you know what's coming, but he's very difficult to stop. I think it's been a mixed season for him so far to a certain extent. For me, he's kicked on from last season in regards to the fact that he has been looking to take on the full back rather than cutting inside. His crossing ability hasn't been great on occasions but at least he's been showing the confidence to take his man on down the flank.

Yesterday he seemed to combine everything together. Tortured the Villa left-back yesterday, and came away with an assist. That is the sort of performance we need to see more often. He's so difficult to defend against because he has size and pace, and if he can sort his final ball out, just as he did on occasions yesterday, we hav a big strike weapon on our hands.

Hopefully he can take confidence out of his performance yesterday and build on it.

I think he is trying to change his game. In his best season, his bombing by touchline got him the label of a one trick pony. Nowadays he has been cutting him more so often leaving Rafael to slip by. Not that effective and his unsettles his passing too. Back to what he does best and we will see his effectiveness.

I think he is trying to change his game. In his best season, his bombing by touchline got him the label of a one trick pony. Nowadays he has been cutting him more so often leaving Rafael to slip by. Not that effective and his unsettles his passing too. Back to what he does best and we will see his effectiveness.

Really?

Just to get it clear because it didn't read very well...

1. Used to bomb down the wing and cross the ball - got labelled as 1 trick pony.
2. Changed to cutting inside and it has effected his game as he's just not that good at it.
3. He's changed back to bombing outside of the man and putting the cross in.

Is that about right?

Possibly, although I think a lot of that is down to a lack of confidence in all honesty. It's the same in any position really; if you are low on confidence, the obvious decision is the safer one. Valencia's issue season for me was that he was almost afraid to take his man on due to a lack of confidence. In short, he was taking upon himself to eliminate his greatest attribute which is beating his man and putting crosses in. Granted, his deliveries hasn't been consistently brilliant but at least he is taking his man on and casing problems.

Hopefully he can kick on from his performance at Villa.

Yeah true. Obviously like everyone I hope that one of these days it isnt the case. But there's a pattern

Really?

Just to get it clear because it didn't read very well...

1. Used to bomb down the wing and cross the ball - got labelled as 1 trick pony.
2. Changed to cutting inside and it has effected his game as he's just not that good at it.
3. He's changed back to bombing outside of the man and putting the cross in.

Is that about right?

1. Yes. He is a one dimensional player, but predictable or not, on form his pace and strength are brilliant.
2. Yes, I think so. Trying to add more dimensions but not succeeding.
3. Partly. His crossing is still mediocre, but taking on opponents and confidence are back.

The only noticeable instance of that was in the Villa match only, other than that, all the other was the same old Valencia running in straight line.

It looks like him and Raf just decided sod this we will just 1-2 it up the pitch kick and run style :lol:

They really do tandom well together when in full flight.

He always plays well when Scholes or Rooney pings perfect 50 yard cross field passes right on his chest.

He always plays well when Scholes or Rooney pings perfect 50 yard cross field passes right on his chest.

Shouldn't need to though.He's a senior player these days and needs to take responsibility,and take on defenders....lead by example

Using his left peg more, crossing the ball with it against Villa on a couple of occasions and cutting inside was incredible to watch considering he has only ever used it to stand on before now.If Moyes and his coaching team can encourage him to do this more often then it's a feather in the cap of the new regime for sure.Maybe SAF thought he had enough in his game to rely on his trusty right and not bother with his left, but lately it has become evident that it's not enough, and if he keeps that up we have a monster of a player on our hands again! Really loving Antonio of late!

Seems to have got the confidence and directness in his running back, his decision making has been abysmal at times though.

Status
Not open for further replies.