Antonio Valencia | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.
He was OK today, would have looked a lot better with Rafael on the overlap they would have been destroyed down that right side.

He had a good game apart from when it came to doing what he was on the pitch for. Crossing was the worst its been for a while. Nice to see him looking like the old Valencia though even when he's not at his best, took Gibbs on all night.

Didn't think he was very good today and I'm a big fan of him. But then we were dreadful outside of defending the whole second half.

I thought he looked good, barring his crossing (admittedly a key part of his game.) He looks to be a lot more decisive, and with Valencia, that's a huge thing, as he's next to useless when he goes into hesitant mode.

There's a reason he is picked for these types of games, he's the new Park.

Worked his bollocks off, gave us an outlet, very little to aim for. He was good.

He's getting stick? He did a good job today. Like Kagawa, he helped completely shut down the Arsenal attack. Given the circumstances, this was never going to be a game for lovely attacking play.

Seeing as Moyes doesn't fancy Fabio Valencia should be our 2nd choice right back. As a winger he's not good enough going forward

There's a reason he is picked for these types of games, he's the new Park.

Well that was Kagawa who won the ball back 7 times to Valencia's 3. The sample size isnt big at only 3 or 4 matches but so far Kagawa is our best "winger" at winning the ball ala Park's hard work

Good defensively but cack attacking wise in the second half. He was bullied off the ball by fecking Gibbs. Solid for the big games I say but I wasn't happy with his performance today at all.

Thought he played really well did any other of the wide men in either team play better? He was the best out of Kagawa Ozil Ramsay Carzola today!

Decent performance and obviously was very disciplined in his tracking. Very physical and tried to win a lot of headers today. If there was one criticism its his quality of final ball into the box. Nonetheless, a really good performance and he just ran for the entire 90 minutes.

He did okay but I was a bit disappointed with him really. Gibbs had the better of him most of the game, and Valencia seemed out of ideas with what to do to get past him. Good game overall but he's lost some dribbling ability, or the ability to get past a man.

Have I lost my mind or is Valencia not supposed to be a fecking winger?

It's just that for wingers to have 'good' performances they usually have to do something worthwhile offensively.

It's just that for wingers to have 'good' performances they usually have to do something worthwhile offensively.
Have to agree. If this game had been played at the height of his unpopularity on here he'd have been slaughtered, as it is everyone's warming to him a bit lately so he gets let off.

Nearly every cross he makes hits the first man, didn't beat Gibbs once, the crosses he did manage were crap.

He's a defensive winger now, sadly.

I thought he was disappointing again today. There were times in that second half he was given the ball in acres of space and did completely feck all with it. One break he had the freedom of Old Trafford and he just pegged it down the right flank, with his head down in utterly predictable fashion, too late realising he was outnumbered, before pinging ball backwards resulting in any momentum being lost.

His crossing was also shite and he is just a headless chicken at times. People saying he played well because he worked hard? So he fecking should do for 90 grand a week. Just think his limitations are really coming to the fore when you see how versatile most of our other attacking players are.

Had a good game. Whenever we counter-attacked he brought the ball forward with drive and purpose. Crossing got progressively shit as the game went on.

When was the last time we had worse delivery from the right than the Valencia and Smalling combination? It wasn't this bad with Ronaldo and Brown... Obviously the combination today gave us plenty of other things, but its easily the weakest final ball from the right we've had for a long long time

Worked hard, has no variety in his attacking play and his crossing is off right now, so offers very little up top.

He didn't offer much going forward and I'm not saying a winger should offer that little in an attacking sense but he gave us the required physical strength we needed to make today's plan work. In that context, it was decent performance.

I thought he did well. Better than Kagawa.

A number of times he carried the ball and relieved pressure, often slipping a pass between two/three players when they closed him down in numbers, as Arsenal do. This left a lot of space for others to exploit.

I thought he put a few great crosses in today.

Really?

Valencia seems to have given up even trying to cross the ball these days. Just hits it as hard as humanely possible and hopes for the best.

Really?

Valencia seems to have given up even trying to cross the ball these days. Just hits it as hard as humanely possible and hopes for the best.

They weren't all brilliant, but there were 2 or 3 good ones where someone should've been on the end of them. I know that's not a number to be proud of, but he's starting to look like the old Valencia again.

He was good today, and absolutely worked his bollocks off.

Anyone criticising his overall performance should find a new hobby.

He started well but faded. Defensively excellent and was tidy in possession. He was an outlet BUT his crossing again wasn't great and there were a few times today where I think he should have ran at the full-back or in a good position to cross but he rather didn't or his delivery was poor. He needs to improve on that aspect but it was a tough and tight game today. He was good overall.

But he's a defensive winger. As some one put it a Dirk Kuyt without the important goals.

He didnt have a specific job, it was the same performance as normal. Run the ball forward and put in a couple of tackles

If he was going to have a specific job in this type of game, it would be focused around keeping the ball. A 72% pass success rate wouldnt be acceptable. Thats 5% less than Nani this season and as we previously discussed, Valencia is usually accountable for slightly better ball retention than Nani at the expense of creating with passes.

Status
Not open for further replies.